PDA

View Full Version : Alex Harris return?

GreenCastle
26-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Must be back training very soon?

Can we also please sign him up to a new contract as from January he can speak to other clubs as his contract is up at the end of the season!

JimBHibees
26-11-2013, 01:13 PM
The fact it has been left this late would IMO mean he has probably been lined up for elsewhere probably either Celtc or an EPL team to supplement their youth squad.

southsider
26-11-2013, 01:22 PM
If he is allowed to walk away then who the hell WAS in charge at ER ? Can't imagine TB allowing this sort of thing to happen in the future.Did he not sign a 1 year extention back in the summer taking him up to 2015 ? Perhaps i picked it up wrong.

TheFamous1875
26-11-2013, 01:24 PM
If he is allowed to walk away then who the hell WAS in charge at ER ? Can't imagine TB allowing this sort of thing to happen in the future.Did he not sign a 1 year extention back in the summer taking him up to 2015 ? Perhaps i picked it up wrong.

I think that was Jordon Forster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GreenCastle
26-11-2013, 01:27 PM

Contract extension till June 2014 I think - http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20130109/academy-duos-contracts-extended_2262950_3035540

Hibs probably waiting to see how he is after injury but he along with Williams should be priorities to sign up for next season.

Forster
McPake
Clancy
Maybury
Mullen
Taiwo
Cairney
Thomson
Vine
Handling
Caldwell

All out of contract in summer also = can talk to clubs from January.

patlowe
26-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Contract extension till June 2014 I think - http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20130109/academy-duos-contracts-extended_2262950_3035540

Hibs probably waiting to see how he is after injury but he along with Williams should be priorities to sign up for next season.

Forster
McPake
Clancy
Maybury
Mullen
Taiwo
Cairney
Thomson
Vine
Handling
Caldwell

Interesting. I'd negotiate with Williams, Forster, Handling and Harris as priorities, and Thomson and Cairney if they prove their fitness/worth in the remainder of this season.

Purehibee_MYB
26-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Met him yesterday.. didn't talk about contract situation but he said he's nearly back to fitness (he wasn't limping) and that he spoke to butcher yesterday and is optimistic for the future.

LioNeilMessi
26-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Pretty sure for the young guys like Harris etc will command a development fee if they were to move club after their current contracts expires (assuming we offer an improved deal). IMO it should put most clubs off paying a fee until he's played more first team football. Agree that he should of had his contract extended before the end of last season though.

Jonnyboy
26-11-2013, 02:44 PM
The fact it has been left this late would IMO mean he has probably been lined up for elsewhere probably either Celtc or an EPL team to supplement their youth squad.

I'd like to think you're wrong there Jim. Boozy was great when he burst onto the scene. No, not great but fantastic! He brought pace and energy to the team but that was a good while ago now and I reckon Hibs might be waiting to see he's fully recovered. Imagine we offered him a three year extension to his current deal and the injury made him less of a player than he was!

Purehibee_MYB
26-11-2013, 03:15 PM
I'd like to think you're wrong there Jim. Boozy was great when he burst onto the scene. No, not great but fantastic! He brought pace and energy to the team but that was a good while ago now and I reckon Hibs might be waiting to see he's fully recovered. Imagine we offered him a three year extension to his current deal and the injury made him less of a player than he was!

I'd have to agree... I mean look what happened with Callum Booth. I think the club is a bit cautious to offer long contracts these days, partly down to past experiences and also the economic climate

JimBHibees
26-11-2013, 03:29 PM

Certainly hope so though he did burst onto the scene and was excellent right up to the final which was the end of May. Thought that something might have been sorted over the summer. The nearer we get to other teams being able to talk the more chance of not staying IMO. Just hope we dont get caught like Aberdeen did in the last couple of years. A great talent IMO.

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Plenty of time yet for Harris, broke onto the scene, briefly looked exceptional then disapperared in games as he probably felt the weight of expectation heavily on his shoulders. Hopefully he'll succeeed.

Pretty Boy
26-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Plenty of time yet for Harris, broke onto the scene, briefly looked exceptional then disapperared in games as he probably felt the weight of expectation heavily on his shoulders. Hopefully he'll succeeed.

This.

Talk of Celtic or an EPL team is very premature.

I really like the look of him but he's still got a lot to learn and if he is being advised well he should be staying, and playing, in Scotland for at least another 2 years.

The Sea-gull
26-11-2013, 04:54 PM

Forster
McPake
Clancy
Maybury
Mullen
Taiwo
Cairney
Thomson
Vine
Handling
Caldwell

Good thing that a lot of players are out of contract end of season. Means terry can get rid if he doesn't fancy them and can concentrate on getting his own men in. Might even see one or two go in January with a pay off so he can make signings. Forster and Handling are the only two I would talk to now. McPake and Maybury can go any time for me. would monitor the performance of the rest and make decisions at end of season. Might move a couple on if better bets were available in January.

Chump
26-11-2013, 05:30 PM

Forster
McPake
Clancy
Maybury
Mullen
Taiwo
Cairney
Thomson
Vine
Handling
Caldwell

I definitely see wholesale changes with Butcher between January and start of next season;

Caldwell simply isn't Hibs class
Vine is finished at ER already and there is no way back
Mullen doesn't show any real sign of being the man to solve the RB position
Maybury - 35
Clancy - waste of wages
McPake - see Clancy
Taiwo - as mentioned on forum could actually be considered for RB but needs to be soon otherwise let go
Cairney - need a vast improvement swiftly or let go
Thomson - always need experience in team and he'd be my 1st choice DM so offer another 1 year deal
Handling & Forster - sign up

strategy for change should be the reduction of the number of defensive midfielders, a high profile proven goalscorer, width and pace!!

spike220
26-11-2013, 05:52 PM
I definitely see wholesale changes with Butcher between January and start of next season;

Maybury - 35
Clancy - waste of wages
McPake - see Clancy
Taiwo - as mentioned on forum could actually be considered for RB but needs to be soon otherwise let go
Thomson - always need experience in team and he'd be my 1st choice DM so offer another 1 year deal

strategy for change should be the reduction of the number of defensive midfielders, a high profile proven goalscorer, width and pace!!
What did Caldwell do wrong??? He hasn't been given a chance imho.

Stevie Reid
26-11-2013, 06:04 PM

To be fair he disappeared in one game and that was Malmo at home, and he was just coming back from an injury then IIRC. He didn't play well at all against Motherwell but he certainly didn't disappear, he had more of the ball than any of our other players - he just couldn't get past his man. Looked better in the second half before his injury to be fair.

I agree with your overall sentiment and concur that he has a long way to go. I just hope the injury doesn't hamper his huge potential. For me, Harris's breakthrough performances had me as excited as those by Riordan, Brown and Fletcher.

Chump
26-11-2013, 06:30 PM
What did Caldwell do wrong??? He hasn't been given a chance imho.

I've watched him in a lot of U20 games and he should stand out if he has any aspirations of first team football but doesn't.....he doesn't work nearly as hard as he should and TB will not want passengers. He needs to buck up his ideas IMO or he will be found out!!

weonlywon6-2
26-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Met him yesterday.. didn't talk about contract situation but he said he's nearly back to fitness (he wasn't limping) and that he spoke to butcher yesterday and is optimistic for the future.

All good.Looking forward to having him back

hibs4thecup1988
27-11-2013, 09:07 AM

Maybury - 35
Clancy - waste of wages
McPake - see Clancy

Everyone should be a clean slate.

I would say the young lads - Caldwell, Handling and Forster especially. Give another year.

McPake and Clancy too injury prone.

Maybury another year for the experience around the kids and to be honest he is our best RB.

Thomson MUST be given another year as well as Taiwo.

Mullen is not that great a player and I feel he was signed as a dig at them

JimBHibees
27-11-2013, 09:45 AM
To be fair he disappeared in one game and that was Malmo at home, and he was just coming back from an injury then IIRC. He didn't play well at all against Motherwell but he certainly didn't disappear, he had more of the ball than any of our other players - he just couldn't get past his man. Looked better in the second half before his injury to be fair.

I agree with your overall sentiment and concur that he has a long way to go. I just hope the injury doesn't hamper his huge potential. For me, Harris's breakthrough performances had me as excited as those by Riordan, Brown and Fletcher.

He seemed to be having more of an impact in the second half of that game until Hutchinson did him with IMO a shocking challenge designed to injure which should have seen red. He is still very young and being a winger will have good and not so good days however to me he looks a real talent.

PeterboroHibee
27-11-2013, 11:05 AM

I would say the young lads - Caldwell, Handling and Forster especially. Give another year.

Maybury another year for the experience around the kids and to be honest he is our best RB.

I really like Maybury and Id agree he probably is our best RB, but if he is still playing for us next season then that will be another summer (or even the January window) where the RB position hasnt been resolved in my opinion. He can still have the influence you are talking about if he sticks as a coach (which I hope he does), but we need someone younger, quicker and more long term at RB.

As for Harris, I think when he gets back into the team Butcher will be able to get the best out of him. I think there will still be ridiculous expectations and pressure on him, but based on how ICT played, I imagine it will be much more suited to Harris - it wont be a case of having aimless balls fired up at him and then him having to try and take on a whole team.

Brightside
27-11-2013, 11:07 AM

he's going nowhere.

Brightside
27-11-2013, 11:12 AM

Maybury is employed as a coach...he just needs to decide each season if he will register as a player. I expect he will for a long as he can. Forster should be on a decent length deal. A great young talent that will make us plenty money in future.

Stevie Reid
27-11-2013, 11:22 AM
He seemed to be having more of an impact in the second half of that game until Hutchinson did him with IMO a shocking challenge designed to injure which should have seen red. He is still very young and being a winger will have good and not so good days however to me he looks a real talent.

Totally agree with all of that, Jim - really looking forward to having him back.

DanHFC1875
27-11-2013, 12:06 PM

Maybury - 35
Clancy - waste of wages
McPake - see Clancy

Caldwell needs to be given a chance. He has been ignored on too many occassions. He deserves a new deal.... I do not want us ditching all our young talent.

--------
27-11-2013, 01:05 PM

Maybury - 35
Clancy - waste of wages
McPake - see Clancy

Caldwell - hasn't really been given a chance; personally, I think you're off the mark here. He needs to get on the field more often, even as a sub. I think the lad has something.

Vine is with us for the season and I would suspend judgement until I've seen him play for Butcher.

Mullen - I agree he doesn't look good and probably should be released.

Maybury - as said, he's working as a coach, he would like to stay in the Edinburgh area, and he has loads of experience to share with the younger players. He's sensible enough to know when to call it a day, ad right now he's our best RB.

Clancy, McPake - you've said it. Punt them.

Taiwo, Cairney, Thomson - we have 12 or 13 midfield players in the squad including youngsters like Sammy Stanton and Dean Horribine. A lot of them are very similar players and Butcher has until the end of the season to sort out who's worth keeping and who needs to be moved out. FWIW I would keep Taiwo and Thomson, and suspend judgement on Cairney to see how he reacts to Butcher and Malpas and their methods.

McGivern - he needs to screw the nut and start producing performances. He has potential, but he isn't showing it IMO.

My main priorities would be direct replacements for Clancy and McPake and a solid left back (I don't really reckon McGivern right now); a cull of the midfielders (we have too many similar players and this means no resources to strengthen elsewhere); get Williams and Murdoch re-signed, and decide which of the younger keepers we want to keep; and assess and decide on the future of our players out on loan like Booth, Donaldson, Grant and Gold.

I don't think Butcher will make any decisions too quickly - he's said that everyone starts with a clean sheet and I reckon he means it. He and Malpas have six months to come to their conclusions and work through Marsella's scouting reports. I think there will be big changes in the summer, and I have to say I'm beginning to feel a little more hopeful of the future.