View Full Version : Collins Penalty claim

Northern Hibby
26-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Not seen this posted anywhere

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/hibernian/250227-the-big-call-should-hibernians-james-collins-have-had-a-penalty/

The Hibs news part of the Forum is a bit bare so had to go looking for my own :confused:

26-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Not seen this posted anywhere

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/hibernian/250227-the-big-call-should-hibernians-james-collins-have-had-a-penalty/

The Hibs news part of the Forum is a bit bare so had to go looking for my own :confused:I thought it was a penalty at the time and I still do.

26-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Sorry. Not a penalty

26-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Sorry. Not a penaltyDinnae be sorry, yer entitled tae yer opinion, I disagree though. :greengrin

26-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Didn't think so at the time but having seen the highlights I think it was.

Northern Hibby
26-11-2013, 11:46 AM
To me it's a penalty, but hey ho, over now, only posting cause Hibs news forum quite :agree:

26-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Ive seen them givin.

26-11-2013, 12:01 PM
I thought it was a penalty at the time and I still do.Agreed, stonewaller IMO

26-11-2013, 12:06 PM
As my mate pointed out at the time, if that had happened on the halfway line, it would have been a free kick to Hibs.

Edit: And now that I've watched the clip above, so does that bloke! :greengrin

26-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Seen them given. But would be raging if one went against us.

For me, it's just a coming together. Collins cuts in front of the defender and wins the ball, the follow through from the defender catches Collins. But I don't think there was anything the defender could have done to prevent the contact. So not a penalty for me.

26-11-2013, 12:15 PM
It's clearly a foul, so it should have been a pen.

26-11-2013, 12:24 PM

For me, it's just a coming together. Collins cuts in front of the defender and wins the ball, the follow through from the defender catches Collins. But I don't think there was anything the defender could have done to prevent the contact. So not a penalty for me.

If the defender is unable to avoid contact he's guilty of a careless challenge which is still a foul.

26-11-2013, 12:39 PM

That makes no sense? Collins nips in and gets to the ball before the defender, which makes him late and catches Collins... This impeding the striker and fouling him... It is a stonewaller every day of the week!! Did he win the ball? No
Did he clean Collins out? Yes...

26-11-2013, 12:43 PM
I don't think there was anything the defender could have done to prevent the contact.

Check the rules - whether there was intent or not it can still be a penalty.

26-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Defo penalty. Although there was no aggression from the defender it was still a foul.

Slightly off topic, how harsh was Wes Brown at the weekend?

26-11-2013, 12:50 PM
that's the first i've saw of any of the game....that's a penalty :agree: it would have been a foul anywhere else on the park

26-11-2013, 01:06 PM

This :agree:

26-11-2013, 03:48 PM
First time I've seen it. The final angle shown is the conclusive one for me. McGregor's body did follow through after he missed the ball and he bumped Collins to the ground. It would have been a free-kick anywhere else on the pitch so definitely a penalty IMHO - a soft one I'll admit - but if a defender bumps a striker to the ground in the penalty box it's a spot kick no matter what happens to the ball after the collision.

If I were McGregor's manager I'd be encouraging him not to do that again as he could well be punished the next time. A bit unlucky for us though.

26-11-2013, 03:59 PM
As has been said could have been given but I thought Collins looked as if he was going down just before the contact.

26-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Defo penalty. Although there was no aggression from the defender it was still a foul.

Slightly off topic, how harsh was Wes Brown at the weekend?

The Wes Brown one was nonsense, it was just a great tackle in my eyes

26-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Dinnae be sorry, yer entitled tae yer opinion, I disagree though. :greengrin

Widnae be like YOU to disagree with anyone.;-)

26-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Penalty.

26-11-2013, 05:10 PM

So your argument would be that if Collins had beaten the defender and only had the goalie to beat and the defender making the tackle can't avoid him then it's no penalty.Don't think too many would agree with that.

26-11-2013, 05:12 PM
So your argument would be that if Collins had beaten the defender and only had the goalie to beat and the defender making the tackle can't avoid him then it's no penalty.Don't think too many would agree with that.

It's not a matter of agreement as the law covers careless play - penalty, whether he meant it or not.

26-11-2013, 05:17 PM
It's one of those that if it happens to your team it's a stonewaller, if it's given against you go mental.

Penalty imo then.

26-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Penalty? Bunch of wimps.
This kind of pussy footing is what's wrong with football.
In the old days .............. :tin hat:

HibeeMG
26-11-2013, 08:55 PM
On first viewing at the time I didn't think it was a penalty. Seeing the highlights afterwards, I think it is. That's probably how the ref saw it.

26-11-2013, 09:01 PM
At the time thought it was a pen, after seeing on the clip it was the third angle that showed it was

26-11-2013, 09:29 PM
It was a stonewall penalty.

26-11-2013, 09:47 PM
The referee only had to decide whether it was a corner or a penalty. What did he give?

SmashinGlass
26-11-2013, 10:33 PM
The referee only had to decide whether it was a corner or a penalty. What did he give?

In line with normal Scottish refereeing protocol in these situations...... A ******g goal kick!!!

Oh, and it was a pen in my view. 100%

27-11-2013, 08:07 AM
Thought it was a penalty, but would've been a soft one. Mikey stewart thought it was a definite pen, but he talks p!sh, so it couldn't have been.

27-11-2013, 08:23 AM
No pen for me.

27-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Could well have been a pen but would have been a soft one if given.

What amazed me more was the Sportscene highlights...showed nothing of the Hibs pressure in the last 30 mins. Totally farcical.

27-11-2013, 08:39 AM
Could well have been a pen but would have been a soft one if given. What amazed me more was the Sportscene highlights...showed nothing of the Hibs pressure in the last 30 mins. Totally farcical.

That's why I have nothing to do with that shower on the BBC - wether it's Sportsound or Sportscene.

27-11-2013, 11:59 AM

What amazed me more was the Sportscene highlights...showed nothing of the Hibs pressure in the last 30 mins. Totally farcical.

I disagree - the defender took Collins down and got nothing on the ball. Penalty - definitely.

Agree with your second point, though - the "highlights" made it look as if Hibs got away with daylight robbery.

Time the Beeb culled their Jambos.

27-11-2013, 08:26 PM

Defender never touched the ball but took out Collins . Pen every time in my book . On your 2nd point , total joke that our 2nd half performance got zero highlights .