PDA

View Full Version : The real failure of Scottish football authorities - sustainability...

Viva_Palmeiras
25-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Hot on the tails of Jdships insights ...

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/1-in-8-scottish-clubs-facing-financial-failure-1-3207735

So fan ownership - which it may be staring many clubs in the face ", is it a competitive advantage or disadvantage... ?

NAE NOOKIE
25-11-2013, 05:47 PM
Its an interesting article but probably doesnt say a lot more than most folk already know. It doesnt take a genius to work out that the Scottish game isnt exactly in rude health at the moment and hasnt been for a decade or so.

But I'm willing to bet that all around Europe there are a lot of clubs who are not a lot better off than ours. For example most English clubs are wallowing in a mire of debt. Take away the telly and about half the clubs in the EPL would probably go bust tomorrow. I dont have figures, its just an educated guess.

The German model is the ideal. But we are talking about an 18 club top league in a country of about 80,000,000 people. What would fan ownership of 51% of each club give us?

I would guess that Hibs probably have a fan base of 40,000 who attend somewhere between every game and one game every few years. The very best you could hope for is that 5,000 of them would be willing to give a fiver a month coming to £300,000 a year. But what would they get for that? It would certainly help, but it aint going to make us very much stronger.

Viva_Palmeiras
26-11-2013, 06:03 AM
Its an interesting article but probably doesnt say a lot more than most folk already know. It doesnt take a genius to work out that the Scottish game isnt exactly in rude health at the moment and hasnt been for a decade or so.

But I'm willing to bet that all around Europe there are a lot of clubs who are not a lot better off than ours. For example most English clubs are wallowing in a mire of debt. Take away the telly and about half the clubs in the EPL would probably go bust tomorrow. I dont have figures, its just an educated guess.

The German model is the ideal. But we are talking about an 18 club top league in a country of about 80,000,000 people. What would fan ownership of 51% of each club give us?

I would guess that Hibs probably have a fan base of 40,000 who attend somewhere between every game and one game every few years. The very best you could hope for is that 5,000 of them would be willing to give a fiver a month coming to £300,000 a year. But what would they get for that? It would certainly help, but it aint going to make us very much stronger.

So with 300k we'd maybe cover costs of EM. I suppose taking a club (into fan ownership) with infrastructure already in place is easier than having to build it. Borrowing would be harder. So in terms of competitive advantage I don't see it.

brian6-2
26-11-2013, 06:15 AM

Agree, its a pointless and uninformative article.

For the first time in a long time there are also a lot of positives about our game, True to form though the good old Scotsman has sod all to write about so will bore us all to tears with yet another pointless piece on the doom and gloom that is scottish football.

Phil D. Rolls
26-11-2013, 11:06 AM
What I take from that article is that the Scottish game needs the mighty Glasgow Rangers. It's the only point I can see to the story.

With 7 out of 8 clubs not facing financial insecurity it's clear that Armageddon has arrived.