SMAXXA
24-11-2013, 08:42 PM
:top marks

Looking good and showing everything most clubs I'm sure will envy

Bronson
24-11-2013, 08:45 PM

Been thinking this myself, that Gauld lad is a class act.

Dark horse for 2nd IMO.

Hibstrooper
24-11-2013, 08:47 PM

:agree:

They've got a golden generation coming through by the looks of it which could set them up for a few years.

Gauld looks an unbelievable prospect and could be the biggest Scottish player in a long time if he keeps on going the way he is. He reminds me of the small skillful guys at Man City, like Augero and Silva.

PeterboroHibee
24-11-2013, 08:50 PM
I was at the game yesterday, and my main thought was we are going to get battered there in January.

They have a couple of oustanding talents which is difficult to replicate, but them aside, what they do is so simple - the full backs are happy to push forward, the players dont aimlessly boot it long, and the striker and the 3 in behind close down the defenders as a unit. Obviously they are full of confidence but it shows what a team can do if they are set up properly and work hard.

SMAXXA
24-11-2013, 08:52 PM
If you can't appreciate their progress at the moment what's the point eh. They have blooded a few youngsters, signed well and are getting the rewards. Totally agree the lad Gould looks fantastic.

IWasThere2016
24-11-2013, 08:54 PM
Local Arabs are slavering at the mooth about Gauld, Soutar and Robertson. They have some excellent youth prospects also.

Aldo
24-11-2013, 08:54 PM
They have quite a few very good youngsters.... Gauld seems to be the pick of them at moment... Think they turned down quite a big fee for the lad Soutar (I think) who is only 17 (I think)

Things are looking good for them at mo

Viva_Palmeiras
24-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Seems like they are out of necessity like many teams getting back to what they had a bit of a rep for.

I really thought they'd toil having frittered away the money Thompson pumped in and having the reality of book balancing to deal with.

frazeHFC
24-11-2013, 09:07 PM
They would weaken Utd if they left but I think it is best for both them and Utd if they stay and play regularly then go down South when they are 20/21, no point going down South now to sit on the bench or be farmed out to some lower league team.

Pretty Boy
24-11-2013, 09:08 PM
They have quite a few very good youngsters.... Gauld seems to be the pick of them at moment... Think they turned down quite a big fee for the lad Soutar (I think) who is only 17 (I think)

Things are looking good for them at mo

I think it was Soutar himself who turned down the move, said he wasn't interested in money at his age and just wanted to play and learn. Good on him.

Ipswich, Sunderland, Everton and Man Utd were all interested.

Aldo
24-11-2013, 09:17 PM
I think it was Soutar himself who turned down the move, said he wasn't interested in money at his age and just wanted to play and learn. Good on him. Ipswich, Sunderland, Everton and Man Utd were all interested.

Probably saw what happened to the boy Allan who went to West Brom (I think). Not sure if he's played much football - possibly been out on loan?

Hermit Crab
24-11-2013, 09:19 PM
The opinions of Utd fans where i work are that they will struggle to keep hold of them in the January Window as the club needs the money.

Pretty Boy
24-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Probably saw what happened to the boy Allan who went to West Brom (I think). Not sure if he's played much football - possibly been out on loan?

Never played a league game for West Brom.

Currently on loan at Birmingham. Played a few games on loan at Portsmouth and MK Dons as well.

Could have played 2 seasons worth of games in the SPL in that time...

Aldo
24-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Never played a league game for West Brom. Currently on loan at Birmingham. Played a few games on loan at Portsmouth and MK Dons as well. Could have played 2 seasons worth of games in the SPL in that time...

Yip sure could of. Sure he chased the dosh did he not after asking UTD for a rise after a handful of games? Might be wrong though

SMAXXA
24-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Lets he honest all we have at the moment who looks special is Alex Harris, maybe we should just empty some of the older players and go young again. Mind they need to be good enough though I suppose

Aldo
24-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Lets he honest all we have at the moment who looks special is Alex Harris, maybe we should just empty some of the older players and go young again. Mind they need to be good enough though I suppose

We have done it before (lucky with the generation) and I am sure we could do it again.... Probably not to same extreme though. As I say we got lucky and made a packet.

Youth is the way ahead but as you say they need to be good enough.

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-11-2013, 09:31 PM
But they will sell them to clear their debts.

HiBremian
24-11-2013, 09:32 PM
So where does Hibs reject John Rankin fit in all of this? Seems to be getting a regular start.:rolleyes:

Del Boy
24-11-2013, 09:41 PM
They have a number of good young players but the boy Gauld is exceptional. Will be the main man for Scotland in next couple of years.

PeterboroHibee
24-11-2013, 09:51 PM
They have a number of good young players but the boy Gauld is exceptional. Will be the main man for Scotland in next couple of years.

The Scotland manager has to be prepared to put faith in these guys though. United have won three of their last 5 games scoring 4 goals, yet GMS and Armstrong, key players in that United team, got a sum total of about 5 minutes between them in the last two friendlies.

Del Boy
24-11-2013, 10:04 PM
The Scotland manager has to be prepared to put faith in these guys though. United have won three of their last 5 games scoring 4 goals, yet GMS and Armstrong, key players in that United team, got a sum total of about 5 minutes between them in the last two friendlies.

Take your point, but in the case of Gauld if he continues to progress as he is it will be impossible for Strachan to leave him out. GMS and Armstrong are both very good players but I think Gauld is already a far better player.

SMAXXA
24-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Take your point, but in the case of Gauld if he continues to progress as he is it will be impossible for Strachan to leave him out. GMS and Armstrong are both very good players but I think Gauld is already a far better player.

Too early to say that IMO, we've seen it with McCarthy and McCarther they had great promise but wasnt until they went down to the premiership that they cemented it and proved how good they really are. Gould looks a talent, so does GMS, the true test will be if they do it at the top level not a handful of spfl games (Gould) that is GMS keeps proving he's special, albeit maybe too inconsistent

Jonnyboy
24-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Too early to say that IMO, we've seen it with McCarthy and McCarther they had great promise but wasnt until they went down to the premiership that they cemented it and proved how good they really are. Gould looks a talent, so does GMS, the true test will be if they do it at the top level not a handful of spfl games (Gould) that is GMS keeps proving he's special, albeit maybe too inconsistent

We could have signed him but Calderclown wasn't impressed

rcarter1
24-11-2013, 10:12 PM

If they continue their trajectory, Scotland might just have some stars, and Tannadice might join us in the 'sell the youngsters, buy a new Stadium' gang.. :greengrin

rcarter1
24-11-2013, 10:13 PM
We could have signed him but Calderclown wasn't impressed

That man should be erased from our history...

SaulGoodman
24-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Oh for that directness

SaulGoodman
24-11-2013, 10:41 PM
That is some tidy football. Can we just do a Celtic and poach their whole team in January? :devil:

Hermit Crab
24-11-2013, 10:44 PM
That is some tidy football. Can we just do a Celtic and poach their whole team in January? :devil:

Thats the thing, they will get dismantled if not in Jan then the summer

SaulGoodman
24-11-2013, 10:51 PM

And that's one of the reasons Scottish football is poor.

Any sign of being a good player and you're off to stagnate on the Celtic bench or down south for wages far exceeding what Scottish teams can afford :agree:

yeezus.
24-11-2013, 10:51 PM
Been thinking this myself, that Gauld lad is a class act.

Dark horse for 2nd IMO.

He is something else - four assists! I still reckon Aberdeen will get 2nd though and Gauld will be snapped up by an English club in January.

Bishop Hibee
24-11-2013, 10:56 PM

Yup. As happened to us with our 'golden generation'. Best hope for Utd is it brings them a European slot and money to clear their debts and improve the infrastructure of the club.

snooky
24-11-2013, 11:41 PM

Been saying that for ages.
At least you'd expect young players to improve with experience.
If you have an older experienced player that's not that great (& we have a few) how much improvement can you expect?

Emmmmm ..... zero?

monktonharp
25-11-2013, 12:00 AM
we have seen all this before. some journo, in cahoots with some agent, will come along and say to some young D. Utd. players that they are getting paid peanuts. don't know where I'm getting this idea from, but, it's a possible

Bronson
25-11-2013, 12:21 AM
He is something else - four assists! I still reckon Aberdeen will get 2nd though and Gauld will be snapped up by an English club in January.

Crazy, very tricky wee player. They carry a huge threat going forward with Gauld, GMS, Ciftci, Goodwillie. Think Ciftci has been a very good signing as well, impressed with what I've seen of him.

Still think they're very suspect at times defensively though.

TheFamous1875
25-11-2013, 12:27 AM
Crazy, very tricky wee player. They carry a huge threat going forward with Gauld, GMS, Ciftci, Goodwillie. Think Ciftci has been a very good signing as well, impressed with what I've seen of him.

I think their offence of scoring 4 goals every game is their defence!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

snooky
25-11-2013, 12:47 AM

Can I buy a vowel? :cb

Stonewall
25-11-2013, 08:15 AM
We have done it before (lucky with the generation) and I am sure we could do it again.... Probably not to same extreme though. As I say we got lucky and made a packet.

Youth is the way ahead but as you say they need to be good enough.

Luck may have played a part but we had the right people working in the club to spot and nurture the tallant. Circumstances dictated that they also had the opportunity to play regular 1st team football at the correct stage in their development. They had the advantage of not being blocked by some "quick fix" brought in to keep fans onside by a manager scared to lose his job.

since90plustwo
25-11-2013, 08:22 AM
in regular contact with gaulds agent and he says he wants him to stay at united for another season or so.

Sylar
25-11-2013, 08:33 AM
If clubs were in a position in Scotland to build teams around these rising young starlets, it would improve both the quality of the SPFL and the National side without a doubt.

Instead, because Scottish clubs can't afford to say no to the money offered from the financially over-inflated leagues down south, these players are removed and eventually (mostly) fade into obscurity. It used to be the Tims and the Rangers who plundered the national treasures but nowadays, we can't even keep our top talent in the country.

Imagine if we had the finances and resolve to tell clubs to piss off when the likes of Brown, Whittaker, Thomson, Riordan and O'Connor were hitting peak form? We could conceivably had a team which would have been challenging the Ugly Sisters within a couple of years. It's a shame for United that they (and Scotland) will most likely lose these lads in the not too distant future.

BT58
25-11-2013, 08:49 AM
So the real story is Jackie MacNamara
A young manager who has inherited a good squad and added his style of play to united
Methinks JM is set for higher things
TB will give our promising youngsters a chance too,,Forster,Handling and Caldwell back in the fold,,
Think TB will give any a chance if they are good enough no matter their age

The Sea-gull
25-11-2013, 08:51 AM
Look very impressive. Remind me a bit of our team 10 years ago with the young boys coming through.

I called them as being a decent outfit earlier on in the season and was shouted down on here by a couple of folk who seemed to rate our prospects for the season higher.

Yeah, I would hate it if were regularly scoring 4 goals in a game. Utd have done this 5 times this season and have scored nearly 3 times as many league goals as us.

EVENTUALLY
25-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Thomson out. Stanton in....sure you'll agree:wink:

Brizo
25-11-2013, 12:58 PM
we have seen all this before. some journo, in cahoots with some agent, will come along and say to some young D. Utd. players that they are getting paid peanuts. don't know where I'm getting this idea from, but, it's a possible

:agree:

Keith Jackson and the Daily Records OF transfer department should be starting negotiations on behalf of their masters.... just about now.