PDA

View Full Version : Football has gone mad (NHC)

James70
24-11-2013, 12:15 PM
I found this snippet on the BBC sports site today.

"Remarkably, Manchester City are still paying Tottenham striker Emmanuel Adebayor £95,000 a week.

When the 29-year-old Togo international moved from City to Spurs in 2010, he would not accept a pay-cut and so City agreed to pay the difference in his wages (he was on £175,000 a week at City and Spurs pay him £80,000 a week)."

Unbelievable!

Carheenlea
24-11-2013, 12:40 PM
An example of one of the reasons that lost my interest in English football. I used to watch the odd game and MOTD but now I honestly couldn't tell you who won the league last year or who is top thus far this season. Can`t relate to it at all.

greenginger
24-11-2013, 12:44 PM
This deal was arranged by Man. City Chief Exec. , Graham Wallace who has now been appointed at Ibrox to keep a tight rein on fiances.

:greengrin

Jones28
24-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Madness!

Pretty Boy
24-11-2013, 01:03 PM
An example of one of the reasons that lost my interest in English football. I used to watch the odd game and MOTD but now I honestly couldn't tell you who won the league last year or who is top thus far this season. Can`t relate to it at all.

Pretty much where i'm at.

The EPL, Champions League etc just leaves me cold now. Truth be told i hardly watch any football that doesn't involve Hibs now.

I know people enjoy 'elite' football but the EPL and their cosy TV deals are a huge art of the reason the game in Scotland is in the state it is.

snooky
24-11-2013, 01:17 PM
The trouble with football today is there are no ties by players and managers to the roots of the club.
Even supporters are all over the place (e.g. Man Utd)
They would be just as well scrapping the names altogether and giving the teams numbers and have them all play at Wembley.
We can all sit at home and watch it all on Sky or BT Sport.
You could pick team no. 3 say, if it's you lucky number. We can also go back to just having numbers on the shirts and do away with names as the players have no real ties to any club. For example, the right back will forever be called just "No. 2".
You won't ever again have to worry about who's been bought, sold, binned, suspended or injured.
Easy peasy.

Hibernia&Alba
24-11-2013, 01:51 PM
£175,000 per week to play football, whilst the poorest are being forced to move out of the homes due to the bedroom tax. It's a sign of a sick society IMO.

heretoday
24-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Adebayor is hopeless. Witness his floundering performance today.

I don't agree about the EPL though. Anyone watch the Scouse derby?

I would rather watch that than St Mirren v Hibs!

Alfred E Newman
24-11-2013, 02:41 PM

I think you have missed the point. Also, I can't understand why a Hibs supporter would watch another game on tv at the same time as the Hibs were live on another channel.

Sir David Gray
24-11-2013, 02:45 PM

"Remarkably, Manchester City are still paying Tottenham striker Emmanuel Adebayor £95,000 a week.

When the 29-year-old Togo international moved from City to Spurs in 2010, he would not accept a pay-cut and so City agreed to pay the difference in his wages (he was on £175,000 a week at City and Spurs pay him £80,000 a week)."

Unbelievable!

That actually defies belief.

I'm speechless.

Sylar
24-11-2013, 02:49 PM

The EPL, Champions League etc just leaves me cold now. Truth be told i hardly watch any football that doesn't involve Hibs now.

I know people enjoy 'elite' football but the EPL and their cosy TV deals are a huge art of the reason the game in Scotland is in the state it is.

Folk call me mad when I say I'd rather stand on the baltic terraces of Gayfield on a dark, midweek evening game watching Arbroath vs Brechin than sit in the house watching Man City vs Chelsea or the likes.

I don't recognise this artificial world of the EPL and the hysteria which surrounds it.

danhibees1875
24-11-2013, 02:50 PM

Dragged my Liverpool supporting friend out of a pub showing it and in to a pub showing the Hibs game. :greengrin

Chump
24-11-2013, 02:51 PM

Eh....how do you figure that one out? Surely the EPL only highlights the gulf between Scottish and English football and is not the cause of our own demise!!

Sylar
24-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Eh....how do you figure that one out? Surely the EPL only highlights the gulf between Scottish and English football and is not the cause of our own demise!!

Because more people would rather sit in the comfort of their own home/pub watching games than coughing up to go and watch their teams playing as it's cheaper for Sky over the course of a month than going to 4 games.

The clubs are part responsible as their greed for these deals has lead to their own gates falling as a result.

Saorsa
24-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Eh....how do you figure that one out? Surely the EPL only highlights the gulf between Scottish and English football and is not the cause of our own demise!!So all Scotland's best players dinnae end up in the English leagues because of the silly money they can and are paying then? Before the silly money, the gulf was much less.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-11-2013, 02:58 PM
This deal was arranged by Man. City Chief Exec. , Graham Wallace who has now been appointed at Ibrox to keep a tight rein on fiances.

John Terry will be glad the guy never got that job at Chelsea! :-)

yeezus.
24-11-2013, 03:00 PM

I'm fed up of seeing English PL tops around Stranraer and everywhere else in Scotland!

Northern Hibby
24-11-2013, 03:51 PM
I'm fed up of seeing English PL tops around Stranraer and everywhere else in Scotland!

Really bugs me Hibs hearts 2 years ago in Inverness had to go to 3 different pubs to find 1 not showing English football even when I found 1it was on the outside tv my comment "does nobody watch Scottish football in Scotland anymore" didn't go down well.

Pretty Boy
24-11-2013, 03:51 PM

There's always been a difference in quality between the English and Scottish game but over the last 15-20 years the gap has become ridiculous. This directly links with Skys huge investment in English football whilst their investment in Scottish football has been paltry.

You have a situation where an increasing number of teens and 20 somethings can't be bothered with Scottish football and would rather watch and 'support' an English team.

Because Skys investment stretches down to the Championship you also have the situation where Scottish players can double or treble their wages going to play in the 2nd tier of English football.

Young Scottish talent is lured away to England at an increasingly young age (Wilson to Liverpool, Feruz to Chelsea, Fyvie to Wigan, Grimmer to Fulham, Kennedy to Everton. All players who have been lost by Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen x2 and Kilmarnock. Some of them could have been big players in Scotland for a few years then moved down south for decent money. Instead English clubs wait until their contracts run down then poach them for minimal compensation and put them in their youth teams, if they never make a 1st team start who cares? A couple of hundred grand is nothing to these teams. It's a chronic and consistent talent drain on the Scottish game.

hfc rd
24-11-2013, 03:54 PM

Unbelievable!

That is insane! What a greedy twat! It just shows you how spoilt modern day footballers are.

Steven_Hibs
24-11-2013, 03:56 PM
I think you have missed the point. Also, I can't understand why a Hibs supporter would watch another game on tv at the same time as the Hibs were live on another channel.

Maybe cause it's the better game to watch. Who wants to watch eye bleeding footie these days :greengrin

Since90+2
24-11-2013, 04:18 PM
That is insane! What a greedy twat! It just shows you how spoilt modern day footballers are.

To be fair its not really Adebayor's fault its the clubs for handing out such ridiculous wages.

How many people would agree to a 95k a week wage cut?

green.and.white
24-11-2013, 04:33 PM
I watch and enjoy a lot of the EPL, it's by far the most exciting league in the world.

What really grinds my gears is when folk say Scottish football is '*****' . I then ask them, compared to what? The EPL? That logic makes every league apart from about 3 around the world '*****'

That usually shuts them up to be fair, but it's sad that people take no interest in their own countries league IMO. Life would be so dull without supporting a team with the same passion and love as we do, rather than 'supporting' man utd from your couch :agree:

That Adebayor thing is truly astonishing.

weonlywon6-2
24-11-2013, 04:35 PM
Just spare a thought for the poor Spurs owner when he hands out this weeks wages after spending 120 million in the summer you get beat 6 nil!!

Sir David Gray
24-11-2013, 04:46 PM
To be fair its not really Adebayor's fault its the clubs for handing out such ridiculous wages.

How many people would agree to a 95k a week wage cut?

I think I would just realise how silly it was that I was getting paid £175,000 a week to begin with and understand that in order to get a regular game, I may have to take a significant wage drop.

I'm sure I would survive on the £4 million a year that my new club was going to pay me.

The Modfather
24-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Because more people would rather sit in the comfort of their own home/pub watching games than coughing up to go and watch their teams playing as it's cheaper for Sky over the course of a month than going to 4 games.

The clubs are part responsible as their greed for these deals has lead to their own gates falling as a result.

Is that actually the reality though? I know this link is a couple of years old now but an interesting article. Do we sell ourselves short when it comes to attending matches? http://foot.ie/threads/157230-Average-attendances-in-Europe-per-capita The fact that the majority choose to follow the gruesome twosome is a more pertinent issue in my opinion.

Scottish football, and Hibs in particular, far overcharge for what is on offer. I understand the argument that in order to bring prices back into reality the standard would have to drop, however that's in no way the fans fault that basically we have to fund the status quo so the standard doesn't get any worse because of the greed of the clubs. Personally I would happily accept clubs charging value for money and fielding primarily youth teams for a few years while the new era settles itself down.

Since90+2
24-11-2013, 05:10 PM
I think I would just realise how silly it was that I was getting paid £175,000 a week to begin with and understand that in order to get a regular game, I may have to take a significant wage drop.

I'm sure I would survive on the £4 million a year that my new club was going to pay me.

Fair enough.

I certainly wouldnt be handing over the best part of 10 million quid over the two years. But maybe im just greedy :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
24-11-2013, 05:44 PM
I dont blame any player for getting the maximum amount of dosh they can out of the clubs. If these clubs are daft enough to pay it then the players and agents will milk the cash cow for as much as they can get ... good luck to them.

The Scottish v English football argument doesnt mean anything any more. There is no such thing as English football at EPL level .... a sad lesson the FA are beginning to learn having watched their World cup hopefulls swatted aside at home over the last few weeks by the 3rd / 4th best team in South America and a weakened German side.

I have a passing interest in the NFL and popped into the New York Jets website the other day to see what their fans message board was like. One of the fans made a very good point along the lines of the fact that due to the draft system and wage caps even if the Jets were having a tough time of it at the moment there is always hope because the system is in place to ensure that no one team can dominate for years on end.

As far as I know MLS is set up the same way. All contracts are owned by the league and there is a wage cap in place. This stops mental transfer fees and mental wage demands.

stevenhibs
24-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Adebayors point would have been... You don't want me, you won't play me and as a favour, you're asking me to take a £95k cut? No you're alright.

Man City win (to an extent) too. They're now saving £80k per week by not having him sitting around the fringes.

For what it's worth, I think he's appalling as a player. Whoever negotiated and accepted that contract should never work in football again. Absolutely ridiculous to have that absolute garbage pick up £175k per week.

Brooster
24-11-2013, 05:50 PM

Correct....he is a hopeless non trier with a heart the size of a pea.

Chump
24-11-2013, 06:07 PM
There's always been a difference in quality between the English and Scottish game but over the last 15-20 years the gap has become ridiculous. This directly links with Skys huge investment in English football whilst their investment in Scottish football has been paltry.

You have a situation where an increasing number of teens and 20 somethings can't be bothered with Scottish football and would rather watch and 'support' an English team.

Because Skys investment stretches down to the Championship you also have the situation where Scottish players can double or treble their wages going to play in the 2nd tier of English football.

Young Scottish talent is lured away to England at an increasingly young age (Wilson to Liverpool, Feruz to Chelsea, Fyvie to Wigan, Grimmer to Fulham, Kennedy to Everton. All players who have been lost by Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen x2 and Kilmarnock. Some of them could have been big players in Scotland for a few years then moved down south for decent money. Instead English clubs wait until their contracts run down then poach them for minimal compensation and put them in their youth teams, if they never make a 1st team start who cares? A couple of hundred grand is nothing to these teams. It's a chronic and consistent talent drain on the Scottish game.

Fair comment.....I thought you were maybe suggesting that we no longer produce talent because of the EPL!!
I agree that the gulf is extreme now but I guess a positive could be the national team as more players are testing themselves in a better league - reality is it will not change and the gulf will widen!!

judas
24-11-2013, 06:33 PM

I am with you.

It feels tainted in some way.

heretoday
24-11-2013, 06:36 PM

You haven't been watching them for 50 years sunshine!

judas
24-11-2013, 06:38 PM
The trouble with football today is there are no ties by players and managers to the roots of the club.
They would be just as well scrapping the names altogether and giving the teams numbers and have them all play at Wembley.
You could pick team no. 3 say, if it's you lucky number. We can also go back to just having numbers on the shirts and do away with names as the players have no real ties to any club. For example, the right back will forever be called just "No. 2".
You won't ever again have to worry about who's been bought, sold, binned, suspended or injured.
Easy peasy.

Totally. Well put too.

It's not really about local pride anymore (though the sports channels like to play all that guff up), it's about mercenaries with no interest or knowledge of the club.

It's soulless.

Billy Whizz
24-11-2013, 06:43 PM
We're all paying for this with our Sky subscriptions

3pm
24-11-2013, 06:46 PM
He certainly ain't hopeless. His attitude is minging though.

Jonnyboy
24-11-2013, 08:12 PM

I think you'll find he has :wink:

Fergus52
24-11-2013, 08:28 PM
Correct....he is a hopeless non trier with a heart the size of a pea.

Another player only Wenger could get the best out of!

Holmesdale Hibs
24-11-2013, 08:28 PM
Totally. Well put too.

It's not really about local pride anymore (though the sports channels like to play all that guff up), it's about mercenaries with no interest or knowledge of the club.

It's soulless.

Some interesting views on here. I agree that there are a few mercenaries in the EPL (Adyebayor being a good example) and I think I remember Man City signing someone that thought they had signed for Chelsea?

That being said, I regularly watch Palace as they're my local team these days and the club is as far from soulless as I can imagine. The last game I was at was vs Arsenal and the fans literally sung for 90min. You couldn't even hear the Arsenal fans when they scored their second. The players gave their all and the team spirit was immense. Contrast that with my last trip to ER where I was surrounded by angry people questioning our own players efforts from the first minute.

Not sure where I'm going with this (had a few pints today), I guess just to say that, despite being a superior and better funded product, the average EPL player cares just as much about their club as anyone playing in the SPL.

chorley_fm
24-11-2013, 08:34 PM

Unbelievable!

good for him

Hibercelona
24-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Thing is, we have players out there who are on 3-5 year contracts, "earning" 200k+ a week.

Why on earth would they even bother trying, when they have their entire life set up for them at the dotted line of a contract?

Jonnyboy
24-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Thing is, we have players out there who are on 3-5 year contracts, "earning" 200k+ a week.

Why on earth would they even bother trying, when they have their entire life set up for them at the dotted line of a contract?

Who's we?

Tyler Durden
24-11-2013, 08:50 PM

And yet he didn't have to take a wage cut to get a regular game. Bet he's glad you're not his agent.

Football players, or sports people of any kind are absolutely correct to earn as much as they can. Bizarre to think otherwise. I can't be bothered looking it up but I'm pretty sure Adebayor gives a third of his salary to charity too.

Alfred E Newman
24-11-2013, 08:53 PM

Oh yes I have!

yeezus.
24-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Really bugs me Hibs hearts 2 years ago in Inverness had to go to 3 different pubs to find 1 not showing English football even when I found 1it was on the outside tv my comment "does nobody watch Scottish football in Scotland anymore" didn't go down well.

I had similar experiences when I lived in Aberdeen. Eventually one of the student pubs started showing the Scottish games because me and a few others made it worth his while by drinking a lot (Colin Calderwood was in charge for a few of those televised games) :greengrin

Bishop Hibee
24-11-2013, 10:13 PM
I love football but love Hibs more. I watched yesterdays match in the Cask and Barrel with TV's half and half with the Merseyside derby. Most folk watching the Hibs game but sizable minority watching the derby.

Hibs will always come first for me.

As for Adebayor, the wage is obscene but that's capitalism for you. Change will come when there is an NFL style Euro/World league in the future.

Sir David Gray
24-11-2013, 11:21 PM
And yet he didn't have to take a wage cut to get a regular game. Bet he's glad you're not his agent.

Football players, or sports people of any kind are absolutely correct to earn as much as they can. Bizarre to think otherwise. I can't be bothered looking it up but I'm pretty sure Adebayor gives a third of his salary to charity too.

Of course if someone is willing to pay you a huge amount of money then that is not your fault and you're going to take as much as you can.

However the point was that Adebayor knew that he had no future at Manchester City and he was being offered a fresh start at Tottenham. Although he would clearly have been taking a huge drop in wages, he was still being offered more than £4 million a year (I would need to work for about 400 years to make that sort of money!). He refused this and wouldn't move until Manchester City agreed to pay the difference so that his salary remained the same at over £9 million a year.

I find that quite disgraceful and doesn't say very much about his motivation to play for Tottenham.

Billy McKirdy
25-11-2013, 12:05 AM
£175,000 per week to play football, whilst the poorest are being forced to move out of the homes due to the bedroom tax. It's a sign of a sick society IMO.

100% this.

Hibercelona
25-11-2013, 12:32 AM
Of course if someone is willing to pay you a huge amount of money then that is not your fault and you're going to take as much as you can.

However the point was that Adebayor knew that he had no future at Manchester City and he was being offered a fresh start at Tottenham. Although he would clearly have been taking a huge drop in wages, he was still being offered more than £4 million a year (I would need to work for about 400 years to make that sort of money!). He refused this and wouldn't move until Manchester City agreed to pay the difference so that his salary remained the same at over £9 million a year.

I find that quite disgraceful and doesn't say very much about his motivation to play for Tottenham.

:agree:

But sadly it's the mentality of these upper class players. They believe they deserve such ridiculous amounts of money, because they all share the delusion that they have the most important job in the world.

Never mind those with real jobs.

Tyler Durden
25-11-2013, 06:33 AM
:agree:

But sadly it's the mentality of these upper class players. They believe they deserve such ridiculous amounts of money, because they all share the delusion that they have the most important job in the world.

Never mind those with real jobs.

To quote Unforgiven "deserve got nothing to do with it".

It's business, they are professionals with agents who know the market. Look at the revenues that the sport generates - its only right that players take their share. They'd be foolish to do otherwise.

It might not seem fair but that's life. It will create people like Rowan Vine or Mikey Stewart - millionaires having ahieved nothing, but its not the fault of the players.

What do you mean by upper class? How many footballers come from that background?

Killiehibbie
25-11-2013, 07:14 AM
We're all paying for this with our Sky subscriptionsA good enough reason for everybody to cancel.

--------
25-11-2013, 02:39 PM

This is nothing new. I know of a number of Rangers players back in the day who fell out of favour because they married girls of the wrong "persuasion".

"Fiancée-watchers" were an integral part of the Rangers coaching set-up. Heaven help the Hun who even thought of marrying a left-footer.

(Though "fiancé" (sp) is a French word that refers to men. Are The Rangers about to come out en masse ? The Gay-ngers?)

jgl07
25-11-2013, 03:04 PM
Another player only Wenger could get the best out of!
That is not true.

Adebayor did very well when he signed for Man City. His form lapsed after he received a long suspension for running up to the Arsenal support having scored a couple of goals in a 4-1 at the City of Manchester Stadium.

Then he was involved in the trauma of the shooting of several of the Togo national team on their way to the African Cup of Nations in Angola. he was never quite the same after that and drifted down the pecking order with the arrival of Dzeko and Ballotelli, and Tevez (not to mention Aguero). He scored 15 goals in 34 appearances which is still decent.

He went on loan to Real Madrid for half a season and featured in a number of high profile matches (5 goals from 14 matches). He then went on loan to Spurs and scored 17 goals in 33 matches. Up to this point his strike rate with Tottenham was better than he ever achieved with Arsenal (46 from 104).

Once he signed permanently for Spurs he seemed to lose interest and found himself out of the team. He is one of those players who is perpetually 'unsettled' and was certainly damaged by the events in Cabinda. City were lumbered with him on a five year contract.

Mon Dieu4
25-11-2013, 03:11 PM

while i agree the money is ridiculous, i don't see what he did wrong here, don't care how wealthy he is or not if over night you are told you are moving to another employer on half your current wage then you would be mighty pissed off.

James70
25-11-2013, 05:38 PM
I've just been reading about Bill Foulkes who sadly passed away today.

Here was a player who dedicated his whole playing career to Manchester United and went through the trauma of the Munich Air Disaster. He made more 1st team appearances than any player other than Giggs, Charlton and Scholes but in 1992 had to auction all of his memorabilia including medals as he needed the money. They raised £35,000 but even taking inflation into account the proceeds would amount to less than what many Premier League footballers will earn in a week now.

Changed days indeed!

Hibernia&Alba
25-11-2013, 06:06 PM

Here was a player who dedicated his whole playing career to Manchester United and went through the trauma of the Munich Air Disaster. He made more 1st team appearances than any player other than Giggs, Charlton and Scholes but in 1992 had to auction all of his memorabilia including medals as he needed the money. They raised £35,000 but even taking inflation into account the proceeds would amount to less than what many Premier League footballers will earn in a week now.

Changed days indeed!

Absolutely, and a very good post.

Also, RIP Bill. Very sad news.

IWasThere2016
25-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Easy peasy.

That's one thing that makes European club football (German in particular) better than ours - the vast majority of fans support their local/city side.

You don't get Dortmund fans from Stuttgart or Bayern fans in Hamburg unless they have relocated. I'm sure the same is true in Italy, France etc

--------
25-11-2013, 06:42 PM

Changed days indeed!

Yup. :agree: