PDA

View Full Version : Tom Taiwo at RM

Winston Ingram
23-11-2013, 10:03 PM
What did everyone think? I thought he took to it like a duck to water:agree:

Heisenberg
23-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Did better than Cairney when he came on. Not a solution to our problems out wide but could be a useful back up option till January.

Pretty Boy
23-11-2013, 10:19 PM
I'm still convinced TT could do a job at right back of needed.

Vault Boy
23-11-2013, 10:26 PM
I think he did really well when he came on, was a lot better than Cairney who unfortunately did not play well, but he is not a right midfielder by any stretch for me, just did well there considering he was out of position. He hasn't really got the craft to get past a man on the wing and be the creative spark that we need, nor is Stevenson, but both do have the qualities to play elsewhere.

Winston Ingram
23-11-2013, 10:28 PM

I was thinking the same:agree:

B.H.F.C
23-11-2013, 10:30 PM

This. Looked more comfortable out there when you can get more time on the ball. And knows how to tackle. Don't know how he be positional wise tho .

kev1875
23-11-2013, 10:33 PM
The fact we totally dominated the match the minute cairney went off and he came on should hopefully mean it's a while before cairney is back in. Taiwo will do for me until cairney is fit or a replacement is found.

Vault Boy
23-11-2013, 10:33 PM

An unfortunate lack of aerial presence aside, he does have a number of the attributes that would make a good fullback.

Eyrie
23-11-2013, 11:28 PM
Cairney was poor, but being charitable I'm putting that down to a lack of match fitness. However he has never been the quickest which is a problem if we don't have pace on the other wing.

Taiwo played OK, but I'd rather have Robertson on the right and Craig in an advanced role with Taiwo sitting if he's in the team.

Leighonel
24-11-2013, 12:10 AM
What did everyone think? I thought he took to it like a duck to water:agree:

I seem to remember reading that he played rm or lm a few times at Carlisle.

monktonharp
24-11-2013, 12:16 AM
I seem to remember reading that he played rm or lm a few times at Carlisle.
:agree::agree:then they punted him

McKenzie
24-11-2013, 12:17 AM
Drifted inside a lot more as the game wore on, still in dire need of some proper wide men who can cross the ball

Bronson
24-11-2013, 12:28 AM
:agree::agree:then they punted him

They did no such thing, I seem to recall his manager at carlisle being quite unhappy that taiwo had left saying he could have gone on to much better things if he had stayed down south.

Sir David Gray
24-11-2013, 12:48 AM
They did no such thing, I seem to recall his manager at carlisle being quite unhappy that taiwo had left saying he could have gone on to much better things if he had stayed down south.

:agree: Carlisle offered him a contract extension, which he rejected because he wanted to be closer to his family in Yorkshire.

Then he turned up in Edinburgh!

Tyler Durden
24-11-2013, 10:07 AM
The fact we totally dominated the match the minute cairney went off and he came on should hopefully mean it's a while before cairney is back in. Taiwo will do for me until cairney is fit or a replacement is found.

How exactly do you expect Cairney to get fit if he's not playing?

Taiwo did little other than win corners by having several crosses blocked. Good energy as we expect from him but he can't beat a man and his delivery is nothing special.

We need to give Cairney a few weeks to get his fitness up. I'd rather see him given some time rather than Stevenson or Taiwo who will give us bags of effort but little output

J-C
24-11-2013, 12:55 PM

:agree:

Kaiserclem
24-11-2013, 09:55 PM

Totally agree, could do a job there with game in front of him. Back four of, Taiwo, Nelson, Forster, Mcgivern.

Jonnyboy
24-11-2013, 09:59 PM

Taiwo did little other than win corners by having several crosses blocked. Good energy as we expect from him but he can't beat a man and his delivery is nothing special.

We need to give Cairney a few weeks to get his fitness up. I'd rather see him given some time rather than Stevenson or Taiwo who will give us bags of effort but little output

I was more than a little surprised that he started. AFAIK since returning from injury he's had two Under 20 games. That considered, he did well to last as long as he did

kev1875
24-11-2013, 10:37 PM

U20's and substitute appearances to begin with, pretty much the same for any player coming back from 6 months out.

Tyler Durden
25-11-2013, 07:37 AM
And if they aren't performing at the top of their game when they return in the first game, then you hope we don't see them again for a while?

I'd rather give players with some ability a chance rather than field the fittest 11 thanks. Cairney needs first team games to get some sharpness. Would rather that than field Taiwo or Stevenson in wide roles.

Alex Trager
25-11-2013, 08:36 AM
I thought Taiwo came on and changed the game. Never ever thought I'd say that but he allowed Robertson to come into the game more as well, good to see, he was really getting up the wing after the long balls I recall aswell! Happy with his performance.

The Sea-gull
25-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Did well out there is a position I don't think I have seen him play before.

Not sure he would be a long term answer but showed enough on Saturday he is worth giving a shot.

Cairney looks totally immobile and he has always been a bit on the chubby side so may take a while to get up to speed. I can't see him being a TB sort of player. Early days for him with him just coming back from injury but he has been iunjured and/or off form for almost a year now so he has a lot to do to get back to him form of the first half of last season.

Jonnyboy
25-11-2013, 10:15 PM

Not sure he would be a long term answer but showed enough on Saturday he is worth giving a shot.

Cairney looks totally immobile and he has always been a bit on the chubby side so may take a while to get up to speed. I can't see him being a TB sort of player. Early days for him with him just coming back from injury but he has been iunjured and/or off form for almost a year now so he has a lot to do to get back to him form of the first half of last season.

To be fair he looked like he'd shed a few pounds

TheFamous1875
25-11-2013, 10:24 PM
To be fair he looked like he'd shed a few pounds

I think he needs to shed a few more. If you're going to be a professional footballer, surely you want your body to be in peak condition to compete to the best of your ability? Paul Cairney is a great player, but his talents have been concealed for a while now.. I'd love to see him playing behind the striker, the guy's got literally nae pace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jonnyboy
25-11-2013, 10:26 PM
I think he needs to shed a few more. If you're going to be a professional footballer, surely you want your body to be in peak condition to compete to the best of your ability? Paul Cairney is a great player, but his talents have been concealed for a while now.. I'd love to see him playing behind the striker, the guy's got literally nae pace.

Hence he fits right in :greengrin

Winston Ingram
25-11-2013, 10:38 PM
I'm sure Cairney got married at the turn of the year. No surprise his form collapse has coincided with this :duck:

edwards
25-11-2013, 11:00 PM

I'm up for giving him a shot at right back' when he impressed at the weekend I am sure Terry will have taken note. If he is now up for fighting for a place then the best of luck to him.

IWasThere2016
26-11-2013, 02:59 AM
I like TT, and agree re RB (better option than Maybury IMHO)

Aldo
26-11-2013, 07:41 AM
I like TT, and agree re RB (better option than Maybury IMHO)

He'll have to up his game considerably to get a game at RB as Maybury was solid against St Mirren on Sat.

Wonder where the TT of last season had gone (please come back)

BSEJVT
26-11-2013, 08:49 AM
I think he did really well when he came on, was a lot better than Cairney who unfortunately did not play well, but he is not a right midfielder by any stretch for me, just did well there considering he was out of position. He hasn't really got the craft to get past a man on the wing and be the creative spark that we need, nor is Stevenson, but both do have the qualities to play elsewhere.

Agree 100%

Problem is we have another 4 or 5 midfielders of whom you could say the same and barring Harris not one of whom you could say different!

RIP
26-11-2013, 12:03 PM

Think this is Paul's problem. A midfielder needs to be in perpetual motion and too often Paul is caught on the ball. It happened too often in the Falkirk semi final and again in the first half on Saturday. When going forward he looked OK and a bit sharper. I felt it was a bit like watching Ivan and Spoony - struggling in a tight area. He doesn't lift his head and look up like Tom Tiawo.

These things are usually coachable in a younger player but with Paul these skills should already be in his make up. Wonder if his peripheral vision is the issue

TheFamous1875
26-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Peripheral vision is such an important thing for any competitive athlete. With the amount of 'easy' interceptions you see in scottish football matches, I do wonder if any of these players are actually taught this as it's such a massive advantage to have if you can see your opponent coming as soon as he is there, you're that one step ahead that most of our current players don't seem to be haha