PDA

View Full Version : Robertson and Craig - The Midfield Partnership.

TheFamous1875
23-11-2013, 04:17 PM
Both good, talented players who like to get forward and create chances, but are they our central midfield duo for the season?

On first impressions, I felt both of their 'natural' games were stifled by trying to take care of defensive duties. Neither had a Thomson, or a Tudor Jones or a Taiwo to allow them to get forward and create. They both cancelled each other out. So although in theory it's a good idea having the two of them together in the middle, I think they both need the balance of someone to protect the area, and retain possession in order to get forward.

Judas Iscariot
23-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Both looked out of sorts from previous weeks

Well SR did, LC was poor again

Sir David Gray
23-11-2013, 04:32 PM
From what I've seen, Robertson and Taiwo should be in the midfield every week that they're fit and available.

It's a toss up between the rest as to who fills the other spaces.

Weir7
23-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Both good, talented players who like to get forward and create chances, but are they our central midfield duo for the season?

On first impressions, I felt both of their 'natural' games were stifled by trying to take care of defensive duties. Neither had a Thomson, or a Tudor Jones or a Taiwo to allow them to get forward and create. They both cancelled each other out. So although in theory it's a good idea having the two of them together in the middle, I think they both need the balance of someone to protect the area, and retain possession in order to get forward.

I'd agree. Need thomson to sit to get rest of midfield to bomb on. Because if that the tactics punt in long to collins in the chanell we need midfieldrs to get in the box as there were no forwards in the box.

Robbo in the scotsman today saying he prefers to play right midfield. Doesn't like to sit.

Eyrie
23-11-2013, 11:15 PM
I didn't like the combination today because Craig wasn't involved enough. Had be been playing wide left and received the amount of ball that Stevenson got, we'd have looked better going forward.

I think we need someone who is comfortable in the holding role paired with one of Craig and Robertson in the middle and have the other one playing wide. We've got Thomson, Tudor Jones and Taiwo who can sit, which will make us more effective as it will free the other three midfielders to get forward as Butcher wants to see the strikers get support.

Bobo
24-11-2013, 12:18 AM
Our midfield was bye passed for much of the game with too many poorly distributed long balls from our back four so there's no real surprise that they were pretty ineffective.

I feel we missed the intelligence of Thomson sitting in front of our defensive third. He has a good range of passing and could have linked play from our defence to the middle and front thirds. This would have allowed Robertson and Craig better service and time on the ball to support and create for the front two.

Just my opinion.

Bronson
24-11-2013, 12:22 AM
Kevin thomson should be the first name on the team sheet, I would have him over both robertson and craig although i think all 3 should start when possible.

Hibercelona
24-11-2013, 12:31 AM
Kevin thomson should be the first name on the team sheet, I would have him over both robertson and craig although i think all 3 should start when possible.

Should he?

You better inform Butcher of this then. :aok:

McKenzie
24-11-2013, 12:48 AM
Didn't think they did a lot in the whole match really, watching the warm up both players' shooting looked good so expected a bit more in that respect. No protection to the defence and no real attacking intentions left us a bit lacking all over the pitch.

Bronson
24-11-2013, 12:57 AM
Should he?

You better inform Butcher of this then. :aok:

Behind Williams, yes he definitely should be.

Or do you not fancy having a uefa cup finalist in your team?

Hibercelona
24-11-2013, 01:01 AM
Behind Williams, yes he definitely should be.

Or do you not fancy having a uefa cup finalist in your team?

I fancy every player pulling their fingers out and earning their place in the starting 11. Thomson should be no acception to this.

He'll have to earn his place in the team like everybody else.

I trust Butchers judgement over yours. :aok:

Bronson
24-11-2013, 01:45 AM
I fancy every player pulling their fingers out and earning their place in the starting 11. Thomson should be no acception to this.

No, but he tends to earn a place in the team by being one of the few players in the squad with a real genuine talent. He is above average, we have a squad filled with too much average, Thomson gives us a bit of an edge.

Whatever, i came here to post my opinions not to listen to your patronising pish.

Gustavo Fring
24-11-2013, 01:51 AM
i am of the opinion that thomson is probably our best player too , i reckon he's gonnae be back in the team next week

Northernhibee
24-11-2013, 02:12 AM
I think KT's a cracking player but he needs to learn how to play Butcher's style of play. If he can't or won't then sorry, it has to be Robertson and Craig/OTJ.

cleanyman
24-11-2013, 02:56 AM
It didn't work. Simple as.

Neither have the hold up or passing range of Kevin Thomson.

Col_0762
24-11-2013, 07:15 AM
Thomson is our best player by a mile. I atually found it quite worrying that the new messiah left him out. The midfield that played today aren't in the same class as Thomson.

marinello59
24-11-2013, 07:43 AM
Thomson is our best player by a mile. I atually found it quite worrying that the new messiah left him out. The midfield that played today aren't in the same class as Thomson.

The new messiah? Wow. He has been in place for a week and the sneering starts.
I agree that Thomson is probably the most talented player at the club. Yesterday Butcher went for players he obviously felt were more capable of playing the game at a better tempo. Results were mixed but the latter stages of the second half could suggest he got it right. Unlike Fenlon our new manager has a clear vision of the way that he wants the game to be played.
It's not about one player, a team is about getting the best blend. Sometimes that means leaving out a player many of us see as better than most. Patience, it's going to take several games (and some new personnel) before we see a massive improvement. Yesterday was a start though.

Aldo
24-11-2013, 07:51 AM
Regardless of what you, I or anyone else thinks Butcher is the manager of Hibernian FC and he picks the team. Yes KT is an excellent player and has the potential to be one of the best MF players in the league however no player should get a game because of past performances or reputation.

He's been as bad in the last few games as he had been good in the games before. No one is bigger than any team or club and that's been the problem at the club for years... Guys expecting to play because they are who they are. They need to earn the right which means training hard and confirming to how the manager wants to set out the team. My opinion mind

J-C
24-11-2013, 12:58 PM

This is why we should be playing a 4-2-3-1 system which would allow either Thomson/OTJ to play the deeper defensive role, allowing Robertson freedom and Craig to be used as a number 10, or an advanced playmaker behind the striker.

Fergus52
24-11-2013, 03:14 PM

:agree:

Fergus52
24-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Really don't get the KT love in.

He's a pretty good player and has been playing well for us, gets stuck in and his passing has been pretty good.

He's nothing particularly special though, IMO.

when we were playing quite well towards the end of last season, he couldn't get a game at CM because Claros and Taiwo were both outperforming him.

Iggy Pope
24-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Regardless of what you, I or anyone else thinks Butcher is the manager of Hibernian FC and he picks the team. Yes KT is an excellent player and has the potential to be one of the best MF players in the league however no player should get a game because of past performances or reputation.

He's been as bad in the last few games as he had been good in the games before. No one is bigger than any team or club and that's been the problem at the club for years... Guys expecting to play because they are who they are. They need to earn the right which means training hard and confirming to how the manager wants to set out the team. My opinion mind

Juat your opinion but 'regardless' of anyone else's? How dismissive.

Kevin Thomson is our star man. In my opinion.

Aldo
24-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Juat your opinion but 'regardless' of anyone else's? How dismissive. Kevin Thomson is our star man. In my opinion.

Didn't say he wasn't read the post in full and you'll see what I think about KT.

Dismissive nope but regardless of what we think about a player Butcher picks the team and that's FACT.

Iggy Pope
24-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Didn't say he wasn't read the post in full and you'll see what I think about KT.

Dismissive nope but regardless of what we think about a player Butcher picks the team and that's FACT.

True. And I read your post in full. You started your post by disregarging everyones opinion then topped it with your opinion.
Opinions eh?

Aldo
24-11-2013, 04:00 PM
True. And I read your post in full. You started your post by disregarging everyones opinion then topped it with your opinion. Opinions eh?

The first part was fact. He does pick the team regardless of what we think. Dissing myself there then and yeah Opinions eh? Live by them die by them ?? ;-)

lobster
24-11-2013, 04:19 PM
The new messiah? Wow. He has been in place for a week and the sneering starts.
I agree that Thomson is probably the most talented player at the club. Yesterday Butcher went for players he obviously felt were more capable of playing the game at a better tempo. Results were mixed but the latter stages of the second half could suggest he got it right. Unlike Fenlon our new manager has a clear vision of the way that he wants the game to be played.
It's not about one player, a team is about getting the best blend. Sometimes that means leaving out a player many of us see as better than most. Patience, it's going to take several games (and some new personnel) before we see a massive improvement. Yesterday was a start though.

Absolutely, the best blend is the target and will take time. We dont have anyone that superior as to override the need for a balanced formation.

Dont actually think the 'new messiah' is a bad way of putting it. TB either will deliver us or he will not. Thats the task at hand.

Don Giovanni
25-11-2013, 08:44 AM
Our best midfielder is always the guy on the bench or in the stand.
By failing to be on the pitch the sidelined individual assumes midfield super-powers of "always finding a jersey / excellent ball retention", "breaks up the play and good at winning the ball back" and / or "gives us a goal threat".
All whilst being unselected.

And none of them are as good as Jorge Claros anyway.

:wink:

TheFamous1875
02-12-2013, 03:20 PM
How did the boys get on together at Dingwall on Saturday? I've heard Robertson was excellent, however Craig (apart from the tackle and the assist for Handling which was great) wasn't all that on the day. What do yous that were present think of the display?

Maybe if Craig is feeling stifled being a sitting midfielder, they'll swap him with Stevenson, as they both play each other's position. It would potentially enable Craig to contribute to the attacks more, and Stevenson could shut up shop in midfield leaving Robertson to also get forward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SunshineOnLeith
02-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Didn't Hibs win at the weekend?

TheFamous1875
02-12-2013, 08:20 PM
Didn't Hibs win at the weekend?

They did, aye. 1-0 away to Ross County - first time we've ever beaten them!

GGTTH.

lEXO
03-12-2013, 06:10 AM
I heard that KT had been playing with an injury under Fenlon. He is being treated for it and is unavailable for selection. Boxing day is the target I believe.

Pray4Marc
03-12-2013, 09:53 AM

The joys of having so many players to pick from.

J-C
03-12-2013, 11:36 AM
How did the boys get on together at Dingwall on Saturday? I've heard Robertson was excellent, however Craig (apart from the tackle and the assist for Handling which was great) wasn't all that on the day. What do yous that were present think of the display?

Maybe if Craig is feeling stifled being a sitting midfielder, they'll swap him with Stevenson, as they both play each other's position. It would potentially enable Craig to contribute to the attacks more, and Stevenson could shut up shop in midfield leaving Robertson to also get forward.

Craig is never a sitting mid, he's always been an AM. I think TB is trying to get a bit of stability into the team 1st before going all out attack mode, just a pity he doesn't have more confidence in Taiwo and OTJ to play the defensive midfielder role.