PDA

View Full Version : James Collins

Long suffering
23-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Thoughts on his performance? Felt he was much better today if a tad slow in bringing others into the game. Hopefully heal reap the benefits of our new style with more balls into the box

Golden Bear
23-11-2013, 03:25 PM
He's not nearly as bad as some make out. I think Butcher can make a player out of him.

ancient hibee
23-11-2013, 03:25 PM
As McLeish said he did well enough down the right but not enough bodies in the box.

Northernhibee
23-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Low on confidence and who really can blame him?

Wotherspiniesta
23-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Thought he was a lot better today :agree:

woodythehibee
23-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Our best player today. Well played James

Jones28
23-11-2013, 03:28 PM
Played really well IMO

Hainan Hibs
23-11-2013, 03:29 PM
The new Paul Tosh.

Hibercelona
23-11-2013, 03:34 PM
He worked very hard today. But a lone strikers job shouldn't be to hold the ball up and bring others into play. That should have been Handlings job, thats why he was tucked in behind Collins.

You can't play a lone striker as a holding player and expect their to be many clear cut chances.

MotherSuperior
23-11-2013, 03:35 PM
I haven't seen much about him that I like.

What are his main attributes?

He drops in deep and out wide a lot.

Really needs to get in the box more.

FRUSTRATING

Pretty Boy
23-11-2013, 03:37 PM
He's a funny one.

He showed some nice touches and had a few really nice hold ups and lay offs. Then on the other hand twice Handling made room and was looking for Collins to make some sort of run and both times he didn't seem to have any instinct on what to do or where to run, it was running in straight lines with no attempt to run across defenders or create more space for Handling. He also created a couple of half chances for himself and on one occasion he sliced it out for a throw in and the other he tripped himself up. Not sure if it's a lack of composure, confidence or both.

There's a player there but he'll need a lot of work imo.

blackpoolhibs
23-11-2013, 03:41 PM
He works his socks off every time he pulls a shirt on, nobody can pull him up for lack of effort. Now lack of ability, thats a different subject.

ancient hibee
23-11-2013, 03:41 PM
As Handling and Collins have not played together they can't be expected to know what runs they make.Not everyone has the telepathy of O'Connor and Riordan.

Spike Mandela
23-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Liked his performance today and feel there is more to come from him. Butcher might be the man to get it out of him.

Northernhibee
23-11-2013, 03:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2_2_n8rwv4

He's capable of scoring goals. I find it hard that a player that can do this suddenly comes to Hibs and turns crap. I'm convinced that given time and service he will score goals - he just needs to be used in the right way and given support. How many strikers score every chance that comes their way? Most strikers will get a good few chances in a game and score from one of them. If Collins was missing good chances left right and centre then maybe then he would warrant criticism but he's barely getting one chance a game to have a shot. And that just puts him under more pressure. If he was getting three, four, five chances each game I'm sure he'd be putting some away.

He still has to prove himself, and I hope he gets the chance. Definitely not as bad as some people on here are making out.

TBH I think you're spot on.

The treatment of Collins and Vine has been pathetic.

Judas Iscariot
23-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Much better today

hibsbollah
23-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Played well today. He needs better service. Hes scored 1 in every 3 games so far in his career in league one, an arguably equivalent standard with the SPL. He's got the pedigree.

lord bunberry
23-11-2013, 04:33 PM
I haven't seen much about him that I like.

What are his main attributes?

He drops in deep and out wide a lot.

Really needs to get in the box more.

FRUSTRATING

He drops deep and wide because that's were the balls are being played up to him. I thought he was good today he worked the right side well and put a few decent balls in.

Teapot
23-11-2013, 04:34 PM
I thought he did well today. Lacking confidence and I think that affects his decision making at times. The service to him has to improve as well.

Hes only 22 though, plenty of time for him to develop.

Aldo
23-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Our best player today. Well played James

Sorry but our best player?? Didn't do enough for me to be our best player. Handling was our best player closely followed by Maybury. My opinion mind

JMac
23-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Want him to succeed so much but all I see from him is missed chance after missed chance. Think we have ourselves an expensive bust personally. Would love to be proved wrong by him but I just don't think he's got it at this level, will probably return to the lower english leagues in the summer

Dashing Bob S
23-11-2013, 05:34 PM
Looks a player - Tel will get the best out of him.

half.time.draw.
23-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Looks a player - Tel will get the best out of him.

Naw. He is out his depth. Better giving youth a chance.

Dashing Bob S
23-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Naw. He is out his depth. Better giving youth a chance.

He's 22 and has scored consistently in League One. Our 'youth' are around 20-21 and haven't even scored that consistently in non-league Scottish football.

Piqué
23-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Worked ever so hard all game. Linked up the play really well also although that prevented him being in the box to finish chances on occasion.

I think with a bit more confidence and when the team starts to work together more cohesively he will score goals consistently in this division.

stoneyburn hibs
23-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Glad this thread has loads of positive comments about Collins as i am certain that he can be a player for us.

Scottie
23-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Fair play to the lad

Got his head down today and grafted :aok:

He'll come good just needing a wee bit better service into him and he will score unfortunately he's no had that service yet in a Hibs top

Hermit Crab
23-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Played well today. Got into decent positions but twice fell at the crucial moment when he was just about to get a shot away. He won almost all the high balls that came his way too.

Desperately needs support from wide men to put balls in the box so he can get his head on it. Looked a different player today and I was pleased with the way he played.

Jonnyboy
23-11-2013, 07:24 PM
The new Paul Tosh.

Thank you for yet another supportive comment about one of our players

Jonnyboy
23-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Sorry but our best player?? Didn't do enough for me to be our best player. Handling was our best player closely followed by Maybury. My opinion mind

Agree with that Aldo. JC improved but the two you name were better on the day :agree:

Centre Hawf
23-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Works hard, take nothing away from him in that department. But he's going to have to do a lot more in the final third for me. Especially considering we signed him for the money we did.

Aldo
23-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Works hard, take nothing away from him in that department. But he's going to have to do a lot more in the final third for me. Especially considering we signed him for the money we did.

Regardless of the money the guy has to have the service to provide the goods IMHO.

Ran and ran but all his good work was done outwith the box. (As you said) Hopefully we will see the real JC once we start getting more balls into the box/service for him.

Tha Cabbage Kid
23-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Regardless of the money the guy has to have the service to provide the goods IMHO.

Ran and ran but all his good work was done outwith the box. (As you said) Hopefully we will see the real JC once we start getting more balls into the box/service for him.

would it be a fair question to ask - how do you give service to a player in the box if he is never in the box?

I thought collins did alot of work outside the box but we bought him as a striker and when ive seen him he spends most of his time outside the box. if he is not hanging off the end of a defender looking for the cross ball the what do the midfielders do they have no-one to get it into? i felt like we were playing a 4-6-0 formation today.

Aldo
23-11-2013, 08:44 PM
would it be a fair question to ask - how do you give service to a player in the box if he is never in the box? I thought collins did alot of work outside the box but we bought him as a striker and when ive seen him he spends most of his time outside the box. if he is not hanging off the end of a defender looking for the cross ball the what do the midfielders do they have no-one to get it into? i felt like we were playing a 4-6-0 formation today.

Fair question

Get others to do the work and get in the box?? I think when you play a lone striker your looking for your MF players to get in the box and this didn't happen today.

Jonnyboy
23-11-2013, 08:49 PM
would it be a fair question to ask - how do you give service to a player in the box if he is never in the box?

I thought collins did alot of work outside the box but we bought him as a striker and when ive seen him he spends most of his time outside the box. if he is not hanging off the end of a defender looking for the cross ball the what do the midfielders do they have no-one to get it into? i felt like we were playing a 4-6-0 formation today.

Fair question

Get others to do the work and get in the box?? I think when you play a lone striker your looking for your MF players to get in the box and this didn't happen today.

Good question and good answer. I was surprised to see Cairney start today but thought maybe TB hoped he would go down the right and provide crosses into the box for the waiting Collins. Cairney didn't but he's been out for months and was ring rusty.

We've had 90 minutes under TB. Players were never going to suddenly find their best form just like that.

Time and patience :agree:

B.H.F.C
23-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Held the ball up well. Takes too many touches at times though. Not in the box enough.

The amount of time he spends coming wide emphasises how much we need a proper wide player IMO.

Potty78
23-11-2013, 09:02 PM
We don't create enough at the moment. If we start putting good balls into the box and creating more then we will know. The big problem is we have no width. I hope he makes it. I rated Donaldson though:)

Golden Bear
23-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Heff's injury early doors may have caused a re think of the original tactics.

What we ended up was still an improvement on the recent pathetic displays.

Eyrie
23-11-2013, 11:31 PM
Collins played well today. I don't mind him drifting out wide to get the ball providing he has a partner or midfielders coming into the box when he looks up. So I'm more concerned about finding the right partner for him - could be Heffernan or Handling.

God Petrie
24-11-2013, 12:48 AM
Played well. Good player. Unfortunately clowns amongst our support think its appropriate to abuse hibernian players.

Shearer
24-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Just watched the whole game and how anyone thought Collins played well is beyond me. He looks awful. Hopefully he will come good and just needs a bit of confidence but doesn't look like a footballer at all.

Danny Handling looks a far better bet and clearly a much more natural footballer

Aldo
24-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Just watched the whole game and how anyone thought Collins played well is beyond me. He looks awful. Hopefully he will come good and just needs a bit of confidence but doesn't look like a footballer at all. Danny Handling looks a far better bet and clearly a much more natural footballer

Differing views/perceptions. He's being asked to do a lot if harrying/chasing and running the channels and all his work is being done outwith the box.

I thought he played well and never stopped. Hoping him and Handling (dependant on Heff's injury) get a chance to form a partnership

He needs service. Plain and simple.

Hermit Crab
24-11-2013, 08:55 AM
Just watched the whole game and how anyone thought Collins played well is beyond me. He looks awful. Hopefully he will come good and just needs a bit of confidence but doesn't look like a footballer at all.

Danny Handling looks a far better bet and clearly a much more natural footballer

Rubbish. Go and watch the game again. Handling hasn't got it, and certainly is not a central striker.

Shearer
24-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Rubbish. Go and watch the game again. Handling hasn't got it, and certainly is not a central striker.

Whether Handling is a striker or a winger I'm not sure anyone knows yet, but he clearly has a good touch and at least a degree of skill.

Collins, when he gets the ball, looks slow and clumsy and not natural at all. The one thing I think he does look decent at is heading the ball and I agree he needs more service to get on the end of. But with the ball at his feet he looks really poor IMO

McKenzie
24-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Don't think Handling even played as a striker yesterday so how anyone can judge him on that performance is beyond me. Thought both forwards played well and held the ball up allowing us to move further up the pitch but the service into the box and support from midfield was slightly lacking.

Eyrie
24-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Don't think Handling even played as a striker yesterday so how anyone can judge him on that performance is beyond me. Thought both forwards played well and held the ball up allowing us to move further up the pitch but the service into the box and support from midfield was slightly lacking.

Robertson and Craig were playing too deep yesterday because we didn't have a natural holding player. Fix that, and the support will be there.

Hermit Crab
24-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Whether Handling is a striker or a winger I'm not sure anyone knows yet, but he clearly has a good touch and at least a degree of skill.

Collins, when he gets the ball, looks slow and clumsy and not natural at all. The one thing I think he does look decent at is heading the ball and I agree he needs more service to get on the end of. But with the ball at his feet he looks really poor IMO

He won nearly every header but hes a 6yd box player who needs wide me to fire in crosses.

Golden Bear
24-11-2013, 10:25 AM

Funny, I sometimes thought the same thing about Steven Fletcher.

I was proved wrong then and I forecast that you will be proved wrong in your assessment of Danny Handling.

Hermit Crab
24-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Funny, I sometimes thought the same thing about Steven Fletcher.

I was proved wrong then and I forecast that you will be proved wrong in your assessment of Danny Handling.

We will see but I'm certainly not convinced just now.

Bostonhibby
24-11-2013, 10:37 AM
St Mirren supporting mate said he thought Collins was our best player, followed by Handling, Maybury and Lewis :duck::duck:

Saorsa
24-11-2013, 11:06 AM
I think he'll do ok with decent service, that still remains the problem IMO. He had a decent scoring record before he came here, he hasn't suddenly become rubbish. 4 goals here in one game in the space of 20 mins against Portsmouth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thsNE9s3kbU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHCZIYQfE2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGbL6uX-ie4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGbL6uX-ie4