PDA

View Full Version : Danny handling

Unseen work
23-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Thought he was very good today especially since it's his first, first team start since his injury and was taking on defenders all game and created a couple of chances. Also really like how he opens the play which is harder than it looks.

Some very good compliments from terry about him after the game which will do wonders for his confidence. Giving him that amount of praise after the game and letting him start gives Danny the opportunity to kick on now. Very refreshing from terry singling a player out so much as that

eastterrace
23-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Thought he was very good today especially since it's his first, first team start since his injury and was taking on defenders all game and created a couple of chances. Also really like how he opens the play which is harder than it looks.

Some very good compliments from terry about him after the game which will do wonders for his confidence. Giving him that amount of praise after the game and letting him start gives Danny the opportunity to kick on now. Very refreshing from terry singling a player out so much as that

yes agree thought he had a good second half, and what terry said after the game he looks like he will be in the team in the future.

jodjam
23-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Played well. Likes to play with his head up also. Hope he can push on and have a great season.

Wotherspiniesta
23-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Really impressed with Handling today. He's a very clever footballer. Can bring players into play, run the channels and has a decent spring on him for quite a small guy. Would love to see him get a few opportunities in front of goal because, much like Collins, most of his good work was done out of range of the target.

Heisenberg
23-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Our MOTM in my opinion.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Our best player. Ran himself into the ground.

Pretty Boy
23-11-2013, 03:04 PM
Played well.

Him or Maybury for MOTM.

ancient hibee
23-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Excellent performance.Tried to play football among the kick and rush.

HibbyAndy
23-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Maybury was MOTM.

Golden Bear
23-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Maybury was MOTM.

A very solid performance from a guy who suffered continuous abuse from the Hibs faithful when he first signed. Thankfully he had the experience to come through that phase. Others may not.

bingo70
23-11-2013, 07:42 PM
I just dinnae see it with handling. People saying he had a good game (including Collins that tweeted it) but I can't think of a shot on goal he had or a good chance he created?

I just think he consistently offers no threat and that's not really ideal for a forward

Jonnyboy
23-11-2013, 07:44 PM
Danny was my MotM today. In the second half in particular I thought his link up play with Collins improved as the minutes ticked on.

Glad to see him played as a striker :agree:

blackpoolhibs
23-11-2013, 07:48 PM
I just dinnae see it with handling. People saying he had a good game (including Collins that tweeted it) but I can't think of a shot on goal he had or a good chance he created?

I just think he consistently offers no threat and that's not really ideal for a forward

I sort of agree with this, he did no better or worse than Collins today. I think because he's young and come through the ranks we are all willing him to do well, but as you say, he did nothing of any real note today.

Dont get me wrong here i'm not having a pop at him, nobody today did anything of any real note.

Aldo
23-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Our MOTM in my opinion.

This. Unlucky at times but showed a hunger and some very nice touches

Billy Whizz
23-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Danny was my MotM today. In the second half in particular I thought his link up play with Collins improved as the minutes ticked on.

Glad to see him played as a striker :agree:

Jonnyboy, as you know, that's where he plays for the under 20''s. Enjoyed his contribution today, he's a really good footballer.
Nice to see a manager put players in their best position.
Just need to get Sammy Stanton fit and in the team now

Jonnyboy
23-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Jonnyboy, as you know, that's where he plays for the under 20''s. Enjoyed his contribution today, he's a really good footballer.

Agreed Billy :agree:

bingo70
23-11-2013, 07:58 PM
This. Unlucky at times but showed a hunger and some very nice touches

Those things don't actually mean anything.

Nice touches? Maybe so but not where it matters, too often plays it safe imo.

Hungry? I'd rather have someone that was dangerous, I'd expect commitment as a minimum.

Bay Area Hibees
23-11-2013, 08:01 PM

Really?!

bingo70
23-11-2013, 08:04 PM
Really?!

Yes really.

What chances did he create today? He didn't get a shot on goal. How could he possibly be man of the match when he's a forward and that's his role?!

Billy Whizz
23-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Yes really.

What chances did he create today? He didn't get a shot on goal. How could he possibly be man of the match when he's a forward and that's his role?!

I think you're being a bit unkind on him. Took the ball in difficult situations, held onto it, which we haven't done lately and tried to create.
Just back from an injury, dont think he's played since we last played St Mirren, and tired just before he was taken off

Aldo
23-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Those things don't actually mean anything. Nice touches? Maybe so but not where it matters, too often plays it safe imo. Hungry? I'd rather have someone that was dangerous, I'd expect commitment as a minimum.

I see where your coming from Bingo (and agree, to an extent) but we've not look dangerous all season. He was our best player. Played some decent football and looked for the ball and didn't hide (pick me up on this if you will)

Same could be said for JC, who I thought did all his work outwith the final 3rd/box.

Unseen work
23-11-2013, 08:10 PM
He created one or 2 good chances and a couple of times if Collins made a better run something more would of came from it. Think with all out attackers as soon as we get in a good position they all just ball watch and get static

People have also got to remember Collins is only a young guy too, 22 iirc?

Aldo
23-11-2013, 08:13 PM
He created one or 2 good chances and a couple of times if Collins made a better run something more would of came from it. Think with all out attackers as soon as we get in a good position they all just ball watch and get static People have also got to remember Collins is only a young guy too, 22 iirc?

I think handling showed more than enough today to start next week ..,. As did Collins.

Both worked really hard today and didn't really get a break. Would start with them both up front against County. (Handling behind Collins)

B.H.F.C
23-11-2013, 08:17 PM
Give him his due for always showing for the ball. But he didn't do enough when he got the it. He has a bit awareness but shrugged of the ball a bit easily at times. Been told that's his position. If that is true I want to see more than he did today.

Jonnyboy
23-11-2013, 08:20 PM
He's been out injured. He came into a team that's confidence was on the floor. He had a new strike partner in Collins.

All of the above would have affected his performance and yet he played well enough to have a fair few who were there naming him as their MotM.

Sometimes I think our players get a harsher critique than they deserve.

Ozyhibby
23-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Motm for me.

lord bunberry
23-11-2013, 08:36 PM
I thought handling did ok but he needs to do more if he's going to be a regular starter. I can't work out if he's meant to be a winger or a centre forward. If he's a winger he needs to beat his man more than he does and if he's a forward he needs to get himself into more goalscoring positions. I don't mean to sound like I'm having a go at him as I quite like him.

The_Horde
23-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Clever player for his age. Will go on to be the next fletcher IMO.

Andy74
23-11-2013, 09:12 PM

I agree. Don't see much in him or Caldwell.

Weir7
23-11-2013, 09:29 PM
;3816267']Clever player for his age. Will go on to be the next fletcher IMO.

He's done nothing to be mentioned in that bracket. For first hour he looked like a wee laddie out of his depth.

His effort and workrate picked up last 30 mins as did whole team when we pushed up the park. In fairness he did well based on what he's done to date. Let's see if he can kick on.

Needs to toughen up and start shooting at goal.

Danny starting for me highlights how poor we are up front.

B.H.F.C
23-11-2013, 09:35 PM

Must have had about 30 appearances. What's he done to suggest he will total 20 odd million in transfer fees? He won't get remotely close to Fletcher's level.

California-Hibs
23-11-2013, 09:35 PM

Oh come on. I'm sorry, but that is just plain rubbish. I agree with Bingo, I don't see it with handling, he offers no threat. As a striker he had no shots of note on goal today and wasn't involved a whole lot. Yes he's been hampered by injuries, but he's had 20 appearances and scored 1, that IMO isn't good enough.

Jonnyboy
23-11-2013, 09:43 PM
Oh come on. I'm sorry, but that is just plain rubbish. I agree with Bingo, I don't see it with handling, he offers no threat. As a striker he had no shots of note on goal today and wasn't involved a whole lot. Yes he's been hampered by injuries, but he's had 20 appearances and scored 1, that IMO isn't good enough.

According to the stats for today's game we had three efforts on target. I recall headers by Collins and Craig but can't remember the third?

We need to create chances if Danny is going to get the chance to take them :agree:

jabis
23-11-2013, 09:57 PM
I sort of agree with this, he did no better or worse than Collins today. I think because he's young and come through the ranks we are all willing him to do well, but as you say, he did nothing of any real note today.

Dont get me wrong here i'm not having a pop at him, nobody today did anything of any real note.

Those things don't actually mean anything.

Nice touches? Maybe so but not where it matters, too often plays it safe imo.

Hungry? I'd rather have someone that was dangerous, I'd expect commitment as a minimum.

you two should get a hotel room together,please don't post you're camera films .
the whinge brothers do "brokeback mountain"

But talking about the players ,they got the message today,very good !

clapping my hands like a sealion in a seaworld pool :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
23-11-2013, 10:31 PM
With Heff out for a bit, I think it might be wise to persevere with the Handling-Collins duo. Both put in a power of work, and once they develop an understanding they might develop a useful partnership.

California-Hibs
23-11-2013, 10:33 PM
According to the stats for today's game we had three efforts on target. I recall headers by Collins and Craig but can't remember the third?

We need to create chances if Danny is going to get the chance to take them :agree:

A good striker will have the ability to create chances for himself and still stand out when the going gets tough and nothing coming their way. See Griffiths as an example in how this is done.

Jonnyboy
23-11-2013, 10:43 PM
A good striker will have the ability to create chances for himself and still stand out when the going gets tough and nothing coming their way. See Griffiths as an example in how this is done.

Can't argue with that but I feel Danny needs to be given more opportunities as a striker to reach that stage

Jonnyboy
23-11-2013, 10:47 PM
Seems TB's view on Danny differs from some on here :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPt25-9z6Gk&feature=c4-overview&list=UUXKLs14yjDc5s7GJ1txkWxw

jabis
23-11-2013, 10:53 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPt25-9z6Gk&feature=c4-overview&list=UUXKLs14yjDc5s7GJ1txkWxw
god

Waxy
24-11-2013, 09:45 AM
I never did think he was good enough for us.never saw anything in any matches for us.
However yesterday he did look a different player. Played with more confidence and it made a huge difference.

steviehibsleith
24-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Harris when he returns from injury or Handling ? Both young and dont see both getting first team starts in the new year and if thats the case id have Harris any day of the week . TB interview lets be honest game was poor from Hibs point of view and i agree Handling was a positive but he didnt score and didnt create any good chances. Neat tidy and effort, yesterday id have taken a Kris Boyd lazy poor and a goal .

O'Rourke3
24-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Last season couldn't understand why he was getting rave reviews. Spent a lot of the game on his 3rse as far as I could see. The start of this season he wasn't much better. However the game he got injured in he was immense. All that effort was directed for a change, he was playing with his head up and actually looked like a decent link man.
On yesterday's performance I saw more of that. Whether he's an out and out striker I've no idea. Quite a few players end up playing in different positions to where they came through the youth systems so finding out where he's best is more important than playing him in the wrong position because he played there at school. Scott Brown debuted for usas a striker, wonder what ever happened to him....

Anyway saw enough of Danny yesterday t persist with him. Also thought Collins did have a good game and agreed with TBs comments.

hibsbollah
24-11-2013, 11:01 AM
god

Thats a bit OTT. A point in Paisley does not make him The Creator.

Giving Handling and Collins plenty of compliments publically improves their confidence. Id say calling Collins' display 'tremendous' is a slight exaggeration but boosting young players' morale is just good management.

Billy Whizz
24-11-2013, 11:03 AM
I never did think he was good enough for us.never saw anything in any matches for us.
However yesterday he did look a different player. Played with more confidence and it made a huge difference.

You do realise he's only 19. Give him a chance

bingo70
24-11-2013, 11:07 AM

Hopefully butcher is right but if he doesn't start to create/score more then I think he will have to start looking elsewhere for a forward that does.

I think the young lad at Dundee utd gauld created 4 yesterday, now obviously that boy is apparently a bit special it shows what can be done by a young player and that's night and day compared to what handling offered yesterday.

There's no doubting he's got an excellent work rate but I'm looking for more and I'm sure butcher will be too.

EVENTUALLY
24-11-2013, 11:49 AM
http://www.hibs.net/images/hibsnet/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Billy Whizz http://www.hibs.net/images/hibsnet/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?p=3816209#post3816209)

Essential to bring some natural skill to the midfield. Stanton is potentially magical.

EVENTUALLY
24-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Harris when he returns from injury or Handling ? Both young and dont see both getting first team starts in the new year and if thats the case id have Harris any day of the week . TB interview lets be honest game was poor from Hibs point of view and i agree Handling was a positive but he didnt score and didnt create any good chances. Neat tidy and effort, yesterday id have taken a Kris Boyd lazy poor and a goal .

Both, with Stanton in there too.

RyeSloan
24-11-2013, 12:26 PM
Didn't really see Handling anywhere near MOTM yesterday.

I know he is just back from injury but he seemed puggled qunite early on...a young guy like him should have bags of energy..a few of his touches were poor at crucial times and not sure the St's defence had much bother in dealing with him.

Collins on the other hand looked mean and hungry, ran his socks off but was still powering on at the end.

Danny may well turn out good enough and I know Butcher was praising his performance yest but I don't happen to agree with him on that one too much and would suggest Danny needs to show a bit more strength and guile to make the step up and become a perm fixture of our front line.

jdships
24-11-2013, 12:33 PM
I agree. Don't see much in him or Caldwell.

Sadly I have to agree with you !
With Caldwell and Handling I think we have another two " Talented 16 year old " , " Promising 18 year old " situations on our hands
For me Harris is the only one lately who has bridged the gap between Talented/Promising and " made it "
There are hundreds if not thousands of young lads who have fallen into these catagories over the years and were just not able to make that last " BIG " step to the top .
Nothing to do with coacjing/lack of it , simply the lad does not " have it " , as I have said before I was one of such :greengrin

:rolleyes:

lucky
24-11-2013, 02:25 PM
He was not my MOTM, he runs about a lot but really did not do much. I'm struggling to recall anything he did of note yesterday. Hopefully he comes good.

Spike Mandela
24-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Great strikers we have had relatively recently.........Miller, Riordan, O'Connor, Fletcher, Stokes, and Griffiths. Can anyone see Danny making that progress to join this group in our affections?

Leishy1995
24-11-2013, 04:19 PM
I think for a manager who has success at Inverness in finding gems and stuff to think Danny is a great fund and what not says it all. He'll hopefully kick on

Kato
24-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Great strikers we have had relatively recently.........Miller, Riordan, O'Connor, Fletcher, Stokes, and Griffiths. Can anyone see Danny making that progress to join this group in our affections?

Who cares what we think. He has to be given the chance.

Up The Bracket
24-11-2013, 05:20 PM

I'd agree with this, as much as I love seeing youngsters breaking through into the first team, with the exception of Harris, I'm not convinced by any of them really, although I'd like to see more of Sammy Stanton.

Ronniekirk
24-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Who cares what we think. He has to be given the chance.
Agree he will get to end of season but was there and for all his good play he never looked like scoring and has rarely done in all games I have seen him in Big Tell gave him a huge hug when he came off so with Hefferman out he will get his chance as will Collins but one of them has to score in next few games if we are to build momentum and start pushing for top six place .But confident in time Big Tell will improve us

Kaiserclem
24-11-2013, 07:46 PM
Can only see Handling getting better given a run in the side. Bit of pace we have lacked and quick at closing defenders down. Like Collins, done a lot of good work in the channel which is highlighting the lack of an out and out centre forward with a strong presence.

Stonewall
24-11-2013, 07:50 PM
I don't see how anyone can draw any conclusions from the little we've seen of Handling.

Hopefully he'll get a run of games now and will prove himself.

Ronniekirk
24-11-2013, 08:08 PM
I don't see how anyone can draw any conclusions from the little we've seen of Handling.

Hopefully he'll get a run of games now and will prove himself.
When Harris started to get more game time at end of last season we were all raving about him I can only comment on what I have seen and give my opinion .However they are both young players and not playing in a confident team That will now change but pressure is on with heff out and no goals in five games so it's not ideal for him .But saw enough on Saturday to persevere .After all it's the Leith Motto .

Jonnyboy
24-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Hopefully butcher is right but if he doesn't start to create/score more then I think he will have to start looking elsewhere for a forward that does.

I think the young lad at Dundee utd gauld created 4 yesterday, now obviously that boy is apparently a bit special it shows what can be done by a young player and that's night and day compared to what handling offered yesterday.

There's no doubting he's got an excellent work rate but I'm looking for more and I'm sure butcher will be too.

bingo - Handling has played, either side of his injury absence, in a team so low on confidence it's a crying shame. Add in the fact that before TB took over, Hibs were very much a team in decline. We've had 90 minutes under TB and there were a few small signs of improvement. We just need to be a bit more patient is all :agree:

JimBHibees
25-11-2013, 10:31 AM
I thought Danny did ok on Saturday and personally would persevere with him at present with Collins. No doubt Saturday is going to be a challenge though and we cant afford to give away any stupid goals or we will be in trouble.

Brightside
25-11-2013, 10:39 AM
With Heff out for a bit, I think it might be wise to persevere with the Handling-Collins duo. Both put in a power of work, and once they develop an understanding they might develop a useful partnership.

I agree with this... we also have Caldwell on the bench who is a direct replacement for Collins, and Cummings who can take the Handling role. I honestly dont think we need strikers. WINGERS PLEASE!

bingo70
30-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Thought i'd dig up this thread from last week as i was one of the posters criticizing Handling for not looking dangerous enough.

Delighted he scored today, he hopefully can build on this and start to get more confident in front of goal. There's nothing better than a home grown player coming through and making an impact and hopefully get sold on for a lot of money (after helping us win the scottish cup).

I know it's early days but it also is starting to look like Butcher has played a blinder with him in terms of building his confidence, I bet Handling is buzzing just now.

Unseen work
30-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Delighted for him, anyone know what his goal was like?

theonlywayisup
30-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Thought i'd dig up this thread from last week as i was one of the posters criticizing Handling for not looking dangerous enough.

Delighted he scored today, he hopefully can build on this and start to get more confident in front of goal. There's nothing better than a home grown player coming through and making an impact and hopefully get sold on for a lot of money (after helping us win the scottish cup).

I know it's early days but it also is starting to look like Butcher has played a blinder with him in terms of building his confidence, I bet Handling is buzzing just now.

Humble pie is a dish best served cold. I too have thought he is average at best. I really hope he kicks on and builds on this match. I don't think he is a Riordan or a O'Connor, but let's hope he proves me wrong.

bingo70
30-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Humble pie is a dish best served cold. I too have thought he is average at best. I really hope he kicks on and builds on this match. I don't think he is a Riordan or a O'Connor, but let's hope he proves me wrong.

Definately.

I still think everything i said last week was right, he worked hard but didn't create or get on the end of enough chances, hopefully Butcher has worked with him and it's starting to pay off already. Even if it's playing him up front two weeks in a row or finding a partner up front he works well with, whatever it is he scored today which is what we all wanted. Hopefully he builds on that now and goes on to prove me and you wrong about him not being the next big thing.

TheFamous1875
30-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Delighted for him, anyone know what his goal was like?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Franck Stanton
30-11-2013, 07:46 PM
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD Having not been at the game or had access to radio commentary was wondering that as well, was it a header [doubtful], a "Tap-in, screamer, lucky or skilful ? Anyone shed any light on it ?

oldbutdim
30-11-2013, 07:50 PM

Is that not 'revenge'?

:confused:

Baker9
30-11-2013, 07:52 PM

I wasn't at the game but didn't he score and win the game for us?

TheFamous1875
30-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Having not been at the game or had access to radio commentary was wondering that as well, was it a header [doubtful], a "Tap-in, screamer, lucky or skilful ? Anyone shed any light on it ?

Well it looks like a nice placed effort from around the penalty area, judging from the photo it looks good! Cannae wait for Sportscene the night!

steakbake
30-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Is that not 'revenge'?

:confused:

Definitely. Humble pie should be well cooked and served at least warm.

Craig_in_Prague
30-11-2013, 07:55 PM
TB seems to really like him, praised him in various interviews.
Pleased he got a goal, as with any striker goals are huge for growing confidence.
I have always liked his style, in terms of his instinct is to try get forward with the ball and cause problems. Needs to learn but TB could really get this lad delivering more than we'd have expected prior to TBs appointment.

bingo70
30-11-2013, 08:01 PM
TB seems to really like him, praised him in various interviews.
Pleased he got a goal, as with any striker goals are huge for growing confidence.
I have always liked his style, in terms of his instinct is to try get forward with the ball and cause problems. Needs to learn but TB could really get this lad delivering more than we'd have expected prior to TBs appointment.

Really? without wanting to turn this around back to being a negative thread about him one of my problems with him was always that he was too keen to play it safe all the time and too often go for a 10 yard pass back instead of trying to create something going forward.

I think we've been crying out for a good 'number 10 forward', hopefully he'll be the answer to that position.

Craig_in_Prague
30-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Really? without wanting to turn this around back to being a negative thread about him one of my problems with him was always that he was too keen to play it safe all the time and too often go for a 10 yard pass back instead of trying to create something going forward.

I think we've been crying out for a good 'number 10 forward', hopefully he'll be the answer to that position.

From the brief viewings I have seen of him, yes that is my impression, in the semi final last year he won various free kicks and a pen.
Granted I haven't seen an awful lot of him (Pat Fenlon was driving me away from things altogether)

TheFamous1875
01-12-2013, 12:52 AM
Danny's interview on the Hibernian TV YouTube page:

http://youtu.be/3Ss4MUjkDO4

So happy for the young boy, really hope he pushes on!

GGTTH.

hfc rd
01-12-2013, 01:20 AM
Danny's interview on the Hibernian TV YouTube page:

http://youtu.be/3Ss4MUjkDO4

So happy for the young boy, really hope he pushes on!

GGTTH.

He's been excellent in that No.10 role that Butcher has him playing in. Hope he keeps this up as he certainly is a very good player.