PDA

View Full Version : Stevenson.

greenlex
23-11-2013, 11:50 AM
So L ewis makes the side before the likes of Thomson, OTJ and Taiwo. Interesting:wink:

Humo
23-11-2013, 12:04 PM
Not really. TB has said that hes putting the effort and the hard work in training and IMO he has been playing better

dp00
23-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Haha love a Lewis debate

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Diclonius
23-11-2013, 12:12 PM
No, Stevenson is a ***** player. Butcher and the five qualified managers before him who all picked Stevenson on a regular basis clearly have inferior footballing knowledge to me.

Now onto more pressing matters - Maka or McNeil?

1987kev
23-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Technically the lad is shocking. Aye aye he runs about gets stuck in everyone on this site would do that for hibs. If we're going to play hibs way everyone going on about he canny play in midfield.

MontrealHibs
23-11-2013, 02:56 PM
For me his best position is centre mid, and we have too many more talented players in that area.

hibsbollah
23-11-2013, 03:31 PM
A day without a Lewis thread is like a day without sunshine.

Wotherspiniesta
23-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Technically the lad is shocking. Aye aye he runs about gets stuck in everyone on this site would do that for hibs. If we're going to play hibs way everyone going on about he canny play in midfield.

Agreed. Thought Lewis was poor again today and was baffled to see him starting at left midfield when it's been proven time and time again his crossing is woeful. Hopefully Terry picks up on this quickly. Good servant to Hibs, but we need better.

Jonnyboy
23-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Agreed. Thought Lewis was poor again today and was baffled to see him starting at left midfield when it's been proven time and time again his crossing is woeful. Hopefully Terry picks up on this quickly. Good servant to Hibs, but we need better.

I think mike the whole team he started badly, shanked the ball a couple of times and struggled to settle into his role. I also think he got better as the game wore on. I reckon he was played there to provide insurance for McGivern overlapping which would probably have worked if McGivern hadn't had another off day

Piqué
23-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Not sure where Lewis is going to fit into the team. Left wing is not his position and I can't really see a spot opening up at centre mid or left back barring injuries. If we are going to be a top 3 team then I think he's going to have to be happy with being a back up player.

bingo70
23-11-2013, 06:39 PM
No, Stevenson is a ***** player. Butcher and the five qualified managers before him who all picked Stevenson on a regular basis clearly have inferior footballing knowledge to me.

Now onto more pressing matters - Maka or McNeil?

Whether Stevenson manages to nail down a position will be the indicator if butcher rates him, not the fact he picked him in his first game.

Centre Hawf
23-11-2013, 06:41 PM
I personally believe Stevenson is a valuable member of the squad due to his versatility. He has his limitations but his pros outweigh the cons in my opinion.

Speedway
23-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Versatility is only useful if you're any good in different positions.

Heisenberg
23-11-2013, 06:49 PM
He won't get into the team when Harris is back and we've signed some wide players. Although I'd have him at left back I don't think he'll play ahead of Mcgivern.

bingo70
23-11-2013, 06:51 PM
He won't get into the team when Harris is back and we've signed some wide players.

You're not suggesting butcher is a Stevenson hater are you?

HiBremian
23-11-2013, 07:00 PM
A day without a Lewis thread is like a day without sunshine.

Pity we don't have a game on April 1st, Bollah. Tel could make Lewis captain.

edwards
23-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Not sure where Lewis is going to fit into the team. Left wing is not his position and I can't really see a spot opening up at centre mid or left back barring injuries. If we are going to be a top 3 team then I think he's going to have to be happy with being a back up player.

TOTALY

jdships
23-11-2013, 07:09 PM
I personally believe Stevenson is a valuable member of the squad due to his versatility. He has his limitations but his pros outweigh the cons in my opinion.

:thumbsup::agree:

Unseen work
23-11-2013, 07:11 PM
I think this season for me he's been a lot better than mcgivern and I would play him left back

B.H.F.C
23-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Don't see the point in constant debates about him. We know what he is. Some like him for his effort etc. Some don't think he gives us enough.

Personally I don't think he's going to get a game centre mid. Even though he played wide today I don't think Butcher will play him there long term. Look at his Inverness teams, their wide players were always good attackers. I think he's there to do a job at the moment as we don't have many players In that mould.

If anything I'd play him left back as McGivern is developing a a habit of being howling.

Judas Iscariot
23-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Has he ever took a man on and beat him?!

Jonnyboy
23-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Has he ever took a man on and beat him?!

Did it twice today :wink:

Onion
23-11-2013, 08:11 PM
For me his best position is centre mid, and we have too many more talented players in that area.

:agree: Can you imagine how awesome Hibs would be with Lewis Stevenson as the main playmaker in the side.

500miles
24-11-2013, 10:20 AM
I think he's produced a number of good performances at fullback position. He's capable of playing the holding midfield role, and left midfielder allowing the fullback to bomb forward.

He's definitely got a place in the squad and the ability to stake his claim for a place at left back, but I would like to see more natural players on those other positions - particularly with more confidence going forward from midfield.

I'd give him another contract. His versatility means we only need one back up player instead of two or even three, and you won't get many of his quality who will play that role at a club of our size for the money we pay. I know St. J's and one other SPL club were keen on him a couple of seasons ago, so we're not the only club to rate him.

J-C
24-11-2013, 11:54 AM

There's a big difference in playing left wing and playing left midfield, TBH the way McGivern's been playing I'd put Lewis at LB and either drop McGivern or put him in at CH where he played well before.

Wotherspiniesta
24-11-2013, 01:20 PM
I think he's produced a number of good performances at fullback position. He's capable of playing the holding midfield role, and left midfielder allowing the fullback to bomb forward.

He's definitely got a place in the squad and the ability to stake his claim for a place at left back, but I would like to see more natural players on those other positions - particularly with more confidence going forward from midfield.

I'd give him another contract. His versatility means we only need one back up player instead of two or even three, and you won't get many of his quality who will play that role at a club of our size for the money we pay. I know St. J's and one other SPL club were keen on him a couple of seasons ago, so we're not the only club to rate him.

I'm sorry, but he's NOT capable of playing left midfield. We keep moaning about how we're not creating chances, but if we're quite happy with Stevenson playing left midfield then we've a cheek to complain. The only thing he brings to the left midfiield role is cover for McGivern when he's caught upfield, because Stevenson gets a nose bleed when he crosses the half way line. If folk want Stevenson in the team it should be at LB. And although he's going through a bit of a poor spell at the minute, McGivern would still be my first choice LB everyday of the week.

Stevie Reid
24-11-2013, 04:25 PM
I'm sorry, but he's NOT capable of playing left midfield. We keep moaning about how we're not creating chances, but if we're quite happy with Stevenson playing left midfield then we've a cheek to complain. The only thing he brings to the left midfiield role is cover for McGivern when he's caught upfield, because Stevenson gets a nose bleed when he crosses the half way line. If folk want Stevenson in the team it should be at LB. And although he's going through a bit of a poor spell at the minute, McGivern would still be my first choice LB everyday of the week.

Stevenson's performances at LB in all his time at Hibs have been far superior to McGivern's - Ryan has had his moments but he is far too easily beaten on the ground.

I can barely recall a wide man getting the better of Stevenson - plenty get past him temporarily, but Lewis's tenacity and burst of acceleration almost always sees him defend the situation.

On the other hand, I can recall many situations where McGivern has committed himself early and not won the ball, and once his man's past him, that's it. Teams get in behind us far more easily when McGivern is playing full back, IMO - though he does offer slightly more going forward.

I'd have Lewis over McGivern at LB every week, with McGivern cover for LB and LCB. A good number of teams have identified McGivern as a week link recently, whilst some of the best wide men in the SPL haven't gotten the better of Stevenson.

Jonnyboy
24-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Stevenson's performances at LB in all his time at Hibs have been far superior to McGivern's - Ryan has had his moments but he is far too easily beaten on the ground.

I can barely recall a wide man getting the better of Stevenson - plenty get past him temporarily, but Lewis's tenacity and burst of acceleration almost always sees him defend the situation.

On the other hand, I can recall many situations where McGivern has committed himself early and not won the ball, and once his man's past him, that's it. Teams get in behind us far more easily when McGivern is playing full back, IMO - though he does offer slightly more going forward.

I'd have Lewis over McGivern at LB every week, with McGivern cover for LB and LCB. A good number of teams have identified McGivern as a week link recently, whilst some of the best wide men in the SPL haven't gotten the better of Stevenson.

You're wasting your time SR. Lewis is crap - Hibs.net fact perpetuated by folk who refuse to concede they just might be wrong

Aldo
24-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Stevenson's performances at LB in all his time at Hibs have been far superior to McGivern's - Ryan has had his moments but he is far too easily beaten on the ground. I can barely recall a wide man getting the better of Stevenson - plenty get past him temporarily, but Lewis's tenacity and burst of acceleration almost always sees him defend the situation. On the other hand, I can recall many situations where McGivern has committed himself early and not won the ball, and once his man's past him, that's it. Teams get in behind us far more easily when McGivern is playing full back, IMO - though he does offer slightly more going forward. I'd have Lewis over McGivern at LB every week, with McGivern cover for LB and LCB. A good number of teams have identified McGivern as a week link recently, whilst some of the best wide men in the SPL haven't gotten the better of Stevenson.

Good post Stevie. I would have Lewis ahead of McGivern at the moment. McGivern has been caught ball watching and out of position quite a bit this season already.

Had high expectations for RM but been disappointed so far.

O and BTW Jonny is right... Plenty of Lewis bashers on here in the past and will have a field day with your post. (I hope not tho)

Ronniekirk
24-11-2013, 07:24 PM
You're wasting your time SR. Lewis is crap - Hibs.net fact perpetuated by folk who refuse to concede they just might be wrong
You get 100 % from Lewis McGivern I agree has had some good games at centre half but at left back he seems to loose concentration and get caught for pace and then someone is in behind the defense and it costs us He can also be too easily beaten But let's see if the new Managent team can address this with him

Bostonhibby
24-11-2013, 07:24 PM
McGivern (for example) is probably a better player than Lewis on his day, that day hasn't came around too often recently he has been rank in my opinion whilst Lewis keeps going and keeps getting picked. At the moment we can't afford to keep playing anyone in the hope that they might do their best. I remain baffled as to why Lewis gets stick, when over half a dozen games there's easier targets if we really have to attack our own.

HibbyAndy
24-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Lewis starts for Butcher.

Is Butcher a numpty then??

Lewis plays cause he is naewhere near as bad as some make out on here.

The guy that loved Wotherspoon but slags Lewis off at every oppurtunity on here is a laugh

Heisenberg
24-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Stevenson at left back? Aye.

Stevenson at left midfield? Naw.

In my opinion.

Wotherspiniesta
24-11-2013, 08:11 PM

The guy that loved Wotherspoon but slags Lewis off at every oppurtunity on here is a laugh

I take it thats me then Andy? I've got a name you know! :greengrin

Its hardly a laugh, they're two completely different types of players. I dont normally stick the boot into wee Lewis, but I'm just getting a bit tired of watching him. Having him as some sort of creative outlet/winger for the past 3 weeks has just ticked me off. I've never rated him as a technical player and yet to clap eyes on him doing anything productive with the ball going forward.

B.H.F.C
24-11-2013, 09:15 PM

Butcher was always likely to play him yesterday as knew what he would get from him.

Looking at the way his Inverness teams set up with more attack minded wide players in don't think he'll play out there long term.

HibbyAndy
24-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Butcher was always likely to play him yesterday as knew what he would get from him.

Looking at the way his Inverness teams set up with more attack minded wide players in don't think he'll play out there long term.

Would you care to elaborate just who the **** were.attack minded for Hibs ????

BroxburnHibee
24-11-2013, 09:21 PM

Williams :agree:

B.H.F.C
24-11-2013, 09:23 PM

Cant elaborate on that as I never said anybody was attack minded for Hibs. Butcher doesn't really have many options in that sense does he. That will change over time.

HibbyAndy
24-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Cant elaborate on that as I never said anybody was attack minded for Hibs. Butcher doesn't really have many options in that sense does he. That will change over time.

Ill bet you £50 towards Dnipro Lewis Stevenson starts at Ross County next week.

B.H.F.C
24-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Ill bet you £50 towards Dnipro Lewis Stevenson starts at Ross County next week.

He probably will. I said I don't think he will play in that position long term. I'd say six days time is fairly short term.