Spike Mandela
23-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Collins playing well.

Pretty Boy
Better from Collins

Mikey
We certainly seem to be getting more crosses into the box. Haven't done anything with them yet but they're going in!

Treadstone
You'd never know it from the library-esque atmosphere.

Good brassnecking there.

Sylar
23-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Good brassnecking there.

Aye - it's been a cacophony of song and atmosphere right enough :rolleyes:

Spike Mandela
23-11-2013, 01:17 PM
Oh for a Zitelli corner.

Pretty Boy
23-11-2013, 01:17 PM
Can someone explain to me the idea behind floating a corner in?

It just seems so easy to defend. 2 of the best dead ball players of this generation, Beckham and Juhninho (not the Celtic one), were absolutely fantastic at really whipping the ball in and making it so difficult for goalkeeper and defenders.

jonny
23-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Having our best spell of the game, hopefully we can nick one

SaulGoodman
23-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Maybe this new fitness thingy is shining through now? :greengrin

Northern Hibby
23-11-2013, 01:21 PM
Oh for a Zitelli corner.

He really did whip them in

Treadstone
23-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Aye - it's been a cacophony of song and atmosphere right enough :rolleyes:

Is there an irony emoticon ?

Hibercelona
23-11-2013, 01:23 PM
We need to stop this drifting corner/crossing pish and just leather the ******* thing into the box.

Keith_M
23-11-2013, 01:24 PM
The BBC Site has our total number of shots at goal after 75 Mins as Four.

Big Tel has his work cut out with his 'shoot on sight' policy

Sylar
23-11-2013, 01:24 PM
Is there an irony emoticon ?

So because I decided not to drive 500 miles north for the game, I'm not allowed to observe the poor atmosphere (last 10 minutes aside)? :confused:

Thomson
23-11-2013, 01:25 PM
The BBC Site has our total number of shots at goal after 75 Mins as Four.

Big Tel has his work cut out with his 'shoot on sight' policy

Noticed that too, but Sky sports just said both teams have had 7 shots, 4 ot for us and 2 ot for them! :confused:

Pretty Boy
23-11-2013, 01:26 PM
Collins with a shot that goes out for a throw.

Was unlucky as he done well to get into position then just got it all wrong.

Treadstone
23-11-2013, 01:26 PM
So because I decided not to drive 500 miles north for the game, I'm not allowed to observe the poor atmosphere (last 10 minutes aside)? :confused:

Where have I said that you can't ?

Pretty Boy
23-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Another corner.

SaulGoodman
How was that not a foul?

Spike Mandela
Some good crosses coming in.

Pretty Boy
23-11-2013, 01:29 PM
A better corner, Robertson heads off target.

Handling off for Caldwell. Played very well imo.

McHibby
23-11-2013, 01:31 PM
How was that not a foul?

Your guess is as good as mine. I thought it was a clear free kick.

matty_f
23-11-2013, 01:31 PM
We've had a lot of the ball but we've never really looked like scoring.

Sylar
23-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Where have I said that you can't ?

Clearly it's a cause of discomfort to you so we'll just leave it alone, shall we?

Keith_M
23-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Looks like my prediction of a boring 0-0 draw is going to be right after all.

Big Tel, you have your work cut out.

Pretty Boy
Collins seems to do a lot of hard work then lose his composure at the last minute.

Maybe a confidence thing.

Hibercelona
We've had a lot of the ball but we've never really looked like scoring.

We don't seem to force any defensive mistakes. We need to show more power in the final 3rd.

Hibercelona
23-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Collins seems to do a lot of hard work then lose his composure at the last minute.

Maybe a confidence thing.

Thats my take on him as well. He puts a shift in, but appears to be lacking in any natural ability that a striker requires.

Stuarty27
23-11-2013, 01:39 PM
Not the managers fault but that was horrible to watch

cabbageandribs1875
432 mins without a league goal...are we heading for another record

Bob Box Fish
Dire stuff

Spike Mandela
Well doesn't tell us much but it was good to hear the very vocal encouragement coming from the touchline for the whole team but especially Handling and Collins.

Pretty Boy
Think there's been a few positives.

We have been good at the back in the 2nd half, Maybury especially was good. Handling played well, Collins showed flashes, we pushed high up the park, got a few crosses in, worked hard and tried to get things forwards a bit quicker.

We need a couple of pacy, creative players asap. We have said that for about 3 years though!

Berwickhibby
Better application today...... but I still cannot see where a goal is going to come from

Greenblood70
Didn't really tell us anything we didn't know already today. We have to work incredibly hard to match even average sides due to a woeful lack of quality in virtually every dept of the team.

Will take time to get us playing easy on the eye stuff with this bunch of players.

NOLA
23-11-2013, 01:40 PM
1point better than before kickoff, that's progress :)

Hibby Kay-Yay
23-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Didn't really tell us anything we didn't know already today. We have to work incredibly hard to match even average sides due to a woeful lack of quality in virtually every dept of the team.

Will take time to get us playing easy on the eye stuff with this bunch of players.

An average team that won 4 on the bounce! I'd like that kind of average :)

eastterrace
23-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Not the managers fault but that was horrible to watch

big improvement we at least got the ball forward, probably had more corners in this game to what we have had the last few games ive been at, still short on quality but ive a feeling terry will get it right.

Makaveli
23-11-2013, 01:43 PM
We were crying out for someone like Zoubir but Caldwell comes on?

Solid enough and at least today shows we don't need to base our team around holding midfielders.

Pete
23-11-2013, 01:46 PM
The most important thing for me is there was a definite change in style. For once we got forward and didn't get bogged down in front of the back four. Good work rate and it will take time for a new style to sink in as the players become more confident in themselves and what they are doing.

For the "eye bleeding" and "dreadful" brigade: don't worry, a rather heavily funded English game will be on soon.:rolleyes:

aussie_hibee
23-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Now around 440 mins without a goal & don't look like scoring any time soon. Awful football, hitting channels & running hard. Rubbish.

Thecat23
23-11-2013, 01:49 PM
First game for him and away from home we get a point. I'm happy with that. This won't change overnight TB needs to see how the players do during the game to find his preferred 11. I'm happy enough with the way we set out. Weren't too defensive and at least got forward.

silverhibee
23-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Collins needs to start finding where the goals are and get a few shots on target, set pieces in to the box could be a lot better too, worked hard today but were just poor in the final 3rd.

Dashing Bob S
23-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Can't really fault anything Butcher/Malpas did, like that they got Caldwell and Handling and Cairney some action. Relieved we don't feel the need to slam two defensive midfielders in front of our defenders. It blunts our attacking edge and I'd question if it makes us any stronger - it just invites teams to throw numbers forward at us.

I liked Collins, absolutely NOTHING came of for him, but he kept hanging in there. He keeps his head up like that and he'll get the breakthrough and start to rattle them in.

A fairly decent start and we could have nicked the game in the second half.

Expecting solid progress now.

The_Horde
23-11-2013, 01:51 PM
The most important thing for me is there was a definite change in style. For once we got forward and didn't get bogged down in front of the back four. Good work rate and it will take time for a new style to sink in as the players become more confident in themselves and what they are doing.

For the "eye bleeding" and "dreadful" brigade: don't worry, a rather heavily funded English game will be on soon.:rolleyes:

Definitely more positive and pressed higher. Never clicked today but that will take some time (ie. not a week and a half) to click.

A half bevvied desperate dan agrees with you! :greengrin

eastterrace
23-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Now around 440 mins without a goal & don't look like scoring any time soon. Awful football, hitting channels & running hard. Rubbish.

what were you expecting fast flowing football, he is only been here 2 weeks , we pushed forward more and looked more balanced, i was pleased with what i saw second half. we do need some more quality but that will come .

Spike Mandela
23-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Interesting to hear all the Sky commentators and panel think it should have been a penalty but at half time I listened to BBC and Richard Gordon and Billy Dodds were laughing at any notion that it was even close to a penalty.:rolleyes:

Mikey
23-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Good, positive interview from the manager there. Hopefully it'll be available online later.

blackpoolhibs
23-11-2013, 01:57 PM
We were quite happy to stick the boot into Calderclown, when he left us with little quality and a team that couldn't score.

Today was like groundhog day, with the new manager coming in and having to work with a very poor team.

Fenlon left us with his huddy's, and Butcher needs at least 5 players to get us challenging.

davieh
23-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Reasonably pleased with better tempo and pressing. Lots more to do, of course - don't see Cairney and Stevenson as the answer to the wide positions.

TheFamous1875
23-11-2013, 02:01 PM
We were quite happy to stick the boot into Calderclown, when he left us with little quality and a team that couldn't score.

Fenlon left us with his huddy's, and Butcher needs at least 5 players to get us challenging.

I think Fenlon left us with a good platform for a potentially great team. If Handling plays like that, and we have Harris on the wing and Zoubir up to scratch with the SPL, we could be laughing our way to the top end of the table.

Compare what Calderclunk left us with and what Fenlon left us with - I feel history will be a LOT kinder to the currently maligned Irishman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TheFamous1875
23-11-2013, 02:04 PM
Reasonably pleased with better tempo and pressing. Lots more to do, of course - don't see Cairney and Stevenson as the answer to the wide positions.

Nor do I, Stevenson is a squad player unless he improves, and Cairney seems better suited to the centre of the park due to his lack of pace. He definitely wasn't match sharp today, but I hope Butcher perseveres with him, as I can see him being a great asset, possibly as an impact player.

cabbageandribs1875
23-11-2013, 02:05 PM
caley 1-0 up already.....

hibs players out...caley players in

Judas Iscariot
23-11-2013, 02:05 PM
That was poor

Not really TB's fault but some of out players are just *****, boring, below average & not going to produce anything exciting of note

Hes got a fair size job on his hands

howdenthehibby
23-11-2013, 02:08 PM
;3815826']Definitely more positive and pressed higher. Never clicked today but that will take some time (ie. not a week and a half) to click.

A half bevvied desperate dan agrees with you! :greengrin

Totally agree with this. New manager new style, definetly more positive, from a team that have had the positivity sucked out of them. its going to take time. The whole club have had the positivity sucked out of them , the club , the players and the fans, me included. Butcher and team , will bring the stuff that will have us competitive of that I am feelling confident:aok:

RSS Bot
23-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Point picked up in Paisley

More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20131123/st-mirren-0-hibernian-0_2262950_3547151)

howdenthehibby
23-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Stopped the rot, lets take it from here. Onwards and upwards. GGTTH:flag::tbgwa:

Benny Brazil
23-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Was pretty turgid stuff - but wasn't expecting miracles after 2 weeks, its going to take time so I'll accept the point and move on.

bigwheel
23-11-2013, 02:32 PM
I think Fenlon left us with a good platform for a potentially great team. If Handling plays like that, and we have Harris on the wing and Zoubir up to scratch with the SPL, we could be laughing our way to the top end of the table.

Compare what Calderclunk left us with and what Fenlon left us with - I feel history will be a LOT kinder to the currently maligned Irishman.

I agree....it's a much better squad now than what Fenlon picked up. They lack confidence just now and certainly need some new blood, but no comparison to what we had back then...

Golden Bear
23-11-2013, 02:33 PM
A lot more action in and around the box. Still lacking guile but at least the overall performance kept me awake.

It's an acceptable start to the new era for me.

PeeJay
23-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Pretty poor performance, no real goal threat despite some decent bouts of possession. A point away from home is OK to start with, I guess ... Butcher really has a huge task on hand to mould this bunch into a football team ... be interesting to see how this develops - I'd hoped for a bit more than this though TBH ... still, early days

blackpoolhibs
23-11-2013, 02:37 PM

I must watch a different game of football to you, we have two full backs who are poor at best. No width and no creativity whatsoever in that team. Add a complete donkey up front, and no i cant see us laughing our way to the top end of the table with the introduction of Harris and Zoubir.

rcarter1
23-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Point picked up in Paisley

More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20131123/st-mirren-0-hibernian-0_2262950_3547151)

These official reports frustrate me at times. A bit New Labour for me. It implies that Hibs have dominated St Mirren second half and yet barely a mention at an actual chance, while then describing half a dozen chances for St Mirren. :confused:

I havent seen the game, but reading that I have no idea what to make of it....

trev the hat
23-11-2013, 02:53 PM
1200 hibees in Paisley for an early KO today
Well done to all that travelled

TheFamous1875
23-11-2013, 02:58 PM
I must watch a different game of football to you, we have two full backs who are poor at best. No width and no creativity whatsoever in that team. Add a complete donkey up front, and no i cant see us laughing our way to the top end of the table with the introduction of Harris and Zoubir.

So, if we got 2 fullbacks( I think we will get a RB, it's as inevitable as food, and McGivern can still improve. If he can't, we'll get someone else in), some creativity (Zoubir, who's jury is still out for a while + another creative signing) width (Harris and a winger or 2 in, we also have Stanton coming through who looks very promising), and not a donkey up front (Collins' jury is still out - lets judge him when he gets a bit of service, eh? We also have the proven Heffernan and Danny Handling is very promising as well) we COULD have a good team!

I don't think you do watch a different game from me - I think you just interpret it differently. I say we have a lot better foundation in place from when Fenlon arrived (surely that's undeniable?) and if we can get the things we're both pointing out sorted, I think we could have a good team competing at the top end of the league.

We get these players playing at their best (a talent that got Butcher to where he is as a manager), and put better players around them (Marsella), I think we could be laughing pretty loudly..

hibbymick
23-11-2013, 02:59 PM
After listening to butcher after the game ,,, i mustve been watching another game.

rcarter1
23-11-2013, 03:01 PM
After listening to butcher after the game ,,, i mustve been watching another game.

Reminds me of the last few managers, BUT.. Butcher is better at using the opportunity to back up his players and focus on the positive. In short, he is much better with the media than the others.

Heisenberg
23-11-2013, 03:06 PM

I've not heard what he's said but I'll guess he was very positive about everything. Trying to build some confidence back into the squad I'd imagine.

blackpoolhibs
23-11-2013, 03:09 PM
So, if we got 2 fullbacks( I think we will get a RB, it's as inevitable as food, and McGivern can still improve. If he can't, we'll get someone else in), some creativity (Zoubir, who's jury is still out for a while + another creative signing) width (Harris and a winger or 2 in, we also have Stanton coming through who looks very promising), and not a donkey up front (Collins' jury is still out - lets judge him when he gets a bit of service, eh? We also have the proven Heffernan and Danny Handling is very promising as well) we COULD have a good team!

I don't think you do watch a different game from me - I think you just interpret it differently. I say we have a lot better foundation in place from when Fenlon arrived (surely that's undeniable?) and if we can get the things we're both pointing out sorted, I think we could have a good team competing at the top end of the league.

We get these players playing at their best (a talent that got Butcher to where he is as a manager), and put better players around them (Marsella), I think we could be laughing pretty loudly..

You have gone in one post from potentially having a great team to maybe having a good team? We are a long way from even having a good team, a team that will successfully challenge at the top end of the league and make a european spot.

Two full backs, another centre half, two wide men although we might have one in Harris, and a centre forward. I make that at least 5 maybe even 6, get them in and we could be where i think we should be.

Butcher is no magician, but has to work with this lot until he can bring in better.

J-C
23-11-2013, 03:23 PM
A lot more energy but still nothing up front re guile and creativity, I can also confirm that Collins is just as pants in FM14 as he is in real life, what a complete waste of £220k he is, this is what happens when you panic buy at the end of the transfer window. Craig playing deeper didn't really work for me and Cairney was absolutely abysmal, slow, zero touch and predictable, definitely not the player we got from Partick.

TheFamous1875
23-11-2013, 03:39 PM
You have gone in one post from potentially having a great team to maybe having a good team? We are a long way from even having a good team, a team that will successfully challenge at the top end of the league and make a european spot.

Two full backs, another centre half, two wide men although we might have one in Harris, and a centre forward. I make that at least 5 maybe even 6, get them in and we could be where i think we should be.

Butcher is no magician, but has to work with this lot until he can bring in better.

Look, no one's saying it'll happen in a matter of weeks - that would be ludicrous. But like you're saying, we do have a half decent squad, and if we were to enhance the squad and get the players I've already mentioned performing at a high standard and improving then we could have a great team. Or a good team. Or a very good team. Whatever term you feel is acceptable, we would have a team performing to a high standard and winning matches.

Aldo
23-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Dire game tbh. Best for us was Handling and Maybury.

Thought handling was our MOTM

SouthamptonHibs
23-11-2013, 03:42 PM
How many minutes now since we last scored a league goal lads?

SouthamptonHibs
23-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Would you say it was a good point gained or two points dropped? I only seen first ten mins before leaving for football, Steven Thompson missed a sitter early on, got the game on sky plus but unlikely to watch it as its a boring 0-0

Aldo
23-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Would you say it was a good point gained or two points dropped? I only seen first ten mins before leaving for football, Steven Thompson missed a sitter early on, got the game on sky plus but unlikely to watch it as its a boring 0-0

I think a draw was about right. We didn't create enough to win the game. (Clear cut chances anyway)

NAE NOOKIE
23-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Watched the game in the pub, so not got the same perspective as those at the game .. hats off to them.

I guess TB was definately going for it with Robertson and Craig through the middle and Cairney out right. But to be honest we were poor from start to finish. We barely created a chance from open play. Our players individual contol of the ball, movement and passing were just as bad as under Pat Fenlon.

I fail to see how guys who are being paid to play football cant play a decent forward pass on the ground, get booked after lunging for the ball following a terrible affort at contolling it and feel the need to boot the ball into touch after bringing it down with no opposition player within 5 yards.

A point away from home is always welcome .... but the truth is that of the team which started today 5 of them will be fortunate to still be at ER following next summers transfer window.

--------
23-11-2013, 03:47 PM

:agree:

The euphoria hasn't taken long to wear off. Butcher has his work cut out here.

Sas_The_Hibby
23-11-2013, 03:48 PM
How many minutes now since we last scored a league goal lads?

It's much easier counting it in hours TBH!

blackpoolhibs
23-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Look, no one's saying it'll happen in a matter of weeks - that would be ludicrous. But like you're saying, we do have a half decent squad, and if we were to enhance the squad and get the players I've already mentioned performing at a high standard and improving then we could have a great team. Or a good team. Or a very good team. Whatever term you feel is acceptable, we would have a team performing to a high standard and winning matches.

I'm not saying we have a half decent squad, i'm saying Fenlon has left us with a poor team. Even the players i did not mention are no great shakes, and don't think we will be seeing a great Hibs team for quite a while if ever. :confused:

Borderhibbie76
23-11-2013, 04:02 PM

Would u rather he just came out, slagged the players off and shattered there already fragile confidence???

TheFamous1875
23-11-2013, 04:06 PM
I'm not saying we have a half decent squad, i'm saying Fenlon has left us with a poor team. Even the players i did not mention are no great shakes, and don't think we will be seeing a great Hibs team for quite a while if ever. :confused:

You said we need 5 or 6 signings in to be where you want us to be, so, surely 5 or 6 starting players are at least half decent?

Bishop Hibee
23-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Watched the game in the pub and we were poor. Picked up a bit when Cairney went off and Taiwo came on. It seemed to allow other players to get forward more and we had a bit of pressure without creating anything. They didn't do much either mind you.

Big game next week and we need a better performance. Heff going off injured is worrying.

Golden Bear
23-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Watched the game in the pub, so not got the same perspective as those at the game .. hats off to them.

I guess TB was definately going for it with Robertson and Craig through the middle and Cairney out right. But to be honest we were poor from start to finish. We barely created a chance from open play. Our players individual contol of the ball, movement and passing were just as bad as under Pat Fenlon.

I fail to see how guys who are being paid to play football cant play a decent forward pass on the ground, get booked after lunging for the ball following a terrible affort at contolling it and feel the need to boot the ball into touch after bringing it down with no opposition player within 5 yards.

A point away from home is always welcome .... but the truth is that of the team which started today 5 of them will be fortunate to still be at ER following next summers transfer window.

A tad harsh maybe?

It was far from perfect I agree but overall I thought our tempo was much better, there was much more action in and around the opposition penalty box and we had some very good individual performances.

TheFamous1875
23-11-2013, 04:12 PM
I think as a squad it is a poor squad, as in the balance - lack wide men or creativity, and central midfield cloggers seem to be in abundance. However, as individual players, I think we have more than a few who could more than contribute positively to a properly constructed team, which we know Butcher is more than capable of assembling.

SaulGoodman
23-11-2013, 04:34 PM
I see after everyone watching that video of Butchers lecture on a positive mindset and how we agreed it would be good for the club, has now gone out the window after one draw away from home. Keep it up guys :wink:

Beefster
23-11-2013, 04:54 PM
We were crying out for someone like Zoubir but Caldwell comes on?

Zoubir's had plenty of chances recently and done hee-haw pretty much every time. Perhaps Caldwell's being doing the business in training this week too. I like the fact that Butcher is doing his own things and not just picking folk cos they were playing under Fenlon.

Today was like groundhog day, with the new manager coming in and having to work with a very poor team.

I suspect history isn't going to be as kind to Fenlon's reign as some folk would like.

Hibernia&Alba
23-11-2013, 05:05 PM
As you'd expect when a manager arrives, the players weren't short of commitment. They all put a shift in today, but the deficiencies in the squad - the lack of pace and creativity - remain and will take time to resolve. For now Terry can only work with what he has, and will need time to decide which players he wishes to keep. In the meantime he'll get the players fitter and life morale, which will contribute to making us competitive at least. Not a great game by an y means, but a good point gained and hopefully we'll see the team moving forward from now.

:flag:

blackpoolhibs
23-11-2013, 06:03 PM
You said we need 5 or 6 signings in to be where you want us to be, so, surely 5 or 6 starting players are at least half decent?

I'm saying we have a poor team, but 5 players could make us a lot better. And unlike you think , i know we will never be great.

truehibernian
23-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Paul Cairney is a huge huge let down - not confident, turned into trouble all the time, looks heavy legged and his passing was horrible - a truly awful game from him today and he's one who needs to buck up his ideas and start playing football. Looked scared to receive the ball which is criminal.

scoopyboy
23-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Paul Cairney is a huge huge let down - not confident, turned into trouble all the time, looks heavy legged and his passing was horrible - a truly awful game from him today and he's one who needs to buck up his ideas and start playing football. Looked scared to receive the ball which is criminal.

If you mean since he joined us I would agree, if you mean today I would say you were being a bit harsh.

He had lost a lot of weight pre season and was looking good in training, then he got injured.

Since TB came he has been looking good in training again and that's probably the reason he started.

He is out of contract at the end of the season and I reckon he's got a lot to do to get a new deal.

Pete
23-11-2013, 06:34 PM

Ah, stop right there.

If that was fixed then what sort of player would we have? I think confidence is a large part of Paul's game and he needs it built up again. If it was to come then maybe he wouldn't be scared to make mistakes and take risks.

Terry sees something so hopefully it works for him as he could be an asset.

jacomo
23-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Would u rather he just came out, slagged the players off and shattered there already fragile confidence???

:agree: TB will have been addressing his post-match comments to the squad - if they've worked hard for him this week he will have wanted to credit them for that.

Billy Whizz
23-11-2013, 07:27 PM

A bit unfair as it was his 1st game this season. Give him a few games before you judge him

Hibercelona
23-11-2013, 07:32 PM
I keep saying it. But when you play a lone striker as a holding player, there's going to be an extreme lack of cutting edge in the final 3rd.

Each player works hard, but we're never tactically set up to win games. I just hope Butcher tries something different next weekend, because this 4-4-1-1 with Collins/Heffernan being told to hold the ball up is eye bleeding and doesn't win us games.

Hiber-nation
23-11-2013, 07:38 PM
I keep saying it. But when you play a lone striker as a holding player, there's going to be an extreme lack of cutting edge in the final 3rd.

Each player works hard, but we're never tactically set up to win games. I just hope Butcher tries something different next weekend, because this 4-4-1-1 with Collins/Heffernan being told to hold the ball up is eye bleeding and doesn't win us games.

The tactics today were completely different to Fenlon's. I never saw the strikers making runs down the channels under Fenlon, it worked well in the 2nd half with Handling and Collins both doing pretty well. More work on the training ground will make a difference although the lack of pace Fenlon's left us with is really holding us back.

Jonnyboy
23-11-2013, 07:39 PM
The tactics today were completely different to Fenlon's. I never saw the strikers making runs down the channels under Fenlon, it worked well in the 2nd half with Handling and Collins both doing pretty well. More work on the training ground will make a difference although the lack of pace Fenlon's left us with is really holding us back.

This. 100%

Billy
23-11-2013, 07:42 PM
I hope the referee's assistant is okay :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PZEROpDbl0&feature=youtu.be

Aldo
23-11-2013, 07:47 PM

I agree but when your forward players run the channels we need our MF to support them more and go beyond them. That didn't happen too often today.

Early days and a long way to go but hopefully Handling and Collins form a decent partnership.

Jonnyboy
23-11-2013, 07:50 PM
I hope the referee's assistant is okay :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PZEROpDbl0&feature=youtu.be

One of the few times Liam found a man with a pass :greengrin

Hibercelona
23-11-2013, 08:42 PM

It's something different. But is having a lone striker playing out wide on the channel, really a good thing?

Whats the point getting more balls into the box, when theres no striker in the box?

jonty
23-11-2013, 08:50 PM
It's something different. But is having a lone striker playing out wide on the channel, really a good thing?

Whats the point getting more balls into the box, when theres no striker in the box?

:agree: Whilst encouraged to see the ball so far up the park, even Dr Who would have difficulty being in two places at one time (although not impossible). Strikers should be in a position to score, not supplying crosses.

PatHead
23-11-2013, 09:52 PM
We need midfielders to get up and support the strikers which will allow the strikers the opportunity to pull the defence around creating space. Judging by today the strikers are going to run the channels and not stand waiting on the ball being hoofed up.