PDA

View Full Version : Riordan Rejects Arbroath

Leishy1995
21-11-2013, 01:20 PM
http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/arbroath-fail-to-land-derek-riordan-1-3196447

How the might have fallen

Scouse Hibee
21-11-2013, 01:22 PM
http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/arbroath-fail-to-land-derek-riordan-1-3196447

Here we go again!

Hibercelona
21-11-2013, 01:23 PM
I think he could still do a job for us.

:devil:

Moulin Yarns
21-11-2013, 01:24 PM
Here we go again!

Arbroath used to be a force in Scottish Football, and still hold the record score. If they have failed to attract a player of the quality of Riordan, then I would agree the mighty Arbroath have indeed fallen :wink:

HibbyAndy
21-11-2013, 01:25 PM
My greatest ever player.

Not in my lifetime have i ever seen another player hit over a hundred goals for Hibs.

Leishy1995
21-11-2013, 01:28 PM
I didn't say he should return. Just like to keep tabs on him.

Scouse Hibee
21-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Derek Riordan has been there and done it (to great effect) with his hometown club he supported, nothing to prove to anyone.

allezsauzee
21-11-2013, 02:07 PM
It would make me cry to see Deek wearing those colours

carnoustiehibee
21-11-2013, 02:21 PM

He hasn't fallen though, cause he hasn't signed.

Another non story

Bobby's Cinema
21-11-2013, 02:23 PM
A total non-story. That's like me saying I phoned him for a game of fives and he said naw.

Onceinawhile
21-11-2013, 02:41 PM
A total non-story. That's like me saying I phoned him for a game of fives and he said naw.

That's worse than Mcpake not signing autographs!!!

Mad Riordan out!!

jacomo
21-11-2013, 02:49 PM
My greatest ever player.

Not in my lifetime have i ever seen another player hit over a hundred goals for Hibs.

:aok:Good post.

His contribution to Hibs hardly gets a mention on here, it's as if we've all forgotten about him or something.

Mind that 'Casper' incident v the Yams too eh? :greengrin

HibbyAndy
21-11-2013, 02:55 PM
:aok:Good post.

His contribution to Hibs hardly gets a mention on here, it's as if we've all forgotten about him or something.

Mind that 'Casper' incide
nt v the Yams too eh? :greengrin

I remember it well , Depleted squad and feared the worst.

Best ever goal.i seen was Riordam screamer v Hearts at Easter rd. 30 yard screamer

Wilson
21-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Derek Riordan has been there and done it (to great effect) with his hometown club he supported, nothing to prove to anyone.

Perhaps just his fitness, and at a higher level than Arbroath.

hibbymick
21-11-2013, 03:03 PM
I would quite like to see him getting a pre season under his belt and try to get his career back on for one final push, maybe Butchers the man to bring that to fruition.

Betty Boop
21-11-2013, 03:04 PM
Sign him up !

Haymaker
21-11-2013, 03:04 PM
Coming back to Hibs.

Beefster
21-11-2013, 03:06 PM
I hate to be a stickler for the rulez but haven't we already had our Riordan mega-thread for November? This one is 10 days too early.

truehibernian
21-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Can't read the article but is Derek not currently training with Hartley's wasps ??

jacomo
21-11-2013, 04:14 PM
I hate to be a stickler for the rulez but haven't we already had our Riordan mega-thread for November? This one is 10 days too early.

Maybe for Christmas we could resurrect every Riordan thread since his last appearance for us? We'd fill the front page easily.

Fitting tribute for a man who could definitely still do a job for us. I am not sure which job, but I'm sure he could do one of them.

silverhibee
21-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Can't read the article but is Derek not currently training with Hartley's wasps ??

Been training with them for the past 3 weeks now.

Haymaker
21-11-2013, 05:08 PM
Been training with them for the past 3 weeks now.

Heard he's coming back in Jan Silver.

green.and.white
21-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Isn't he our new assistant manager? :greengrin

Leishy1995
21-11-2013, 05:21 PM

Are you stirring the most unsettled pot ever?

Haymaker
21-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Are you stirring the most unsettled pot ever?

Me?! Never.

Haymaker
21-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Isn't he our new assistant manager? :greengrin

:greengrin

sambajustice
21-11-2013, 07:24 PM
He's our new captain

Northernhibee
21-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Honestly I wonder if he wants to still be a professional athlete.

Shame, as six months at a Dumbarton/Arbroath banging goals in is just what he needs. Bought Gavin Rae an SPL contract.

BSEJVT
21-11-2013, 08:34 PM
I honestly don't see why Derek is treated with the scorn he gets on here?

Whilst there is no disputing the fact that he hasn't achieved all he could have in his career, what he achieved with us was pretty spectacular and it will be a long time indeed in my opinion until it is matched.

I would prefer to revel in the good times with us, than castigate him for what he is or isn't doing now. He isn't the first footballer to deliver less than he could have in a career and wont be the last.

For those that would criticise his second spell with us or elements of it, I still think the Derek of that ilk was better than many of his successors.

I am also certain that taken over both his spells with Hibs, we got far far better value from him than we have from the vast majority of players in the post Bosman era.

There is no doubt that there have been many players in recent year worthy of our scorn, But Derek Riordan wasn't one of them and it would be good for him and our reputation as a support if we maybe appreciated our idols a bit better than we do.

The only player in recent memory I can think of who totally escaped any scorn was Frank Sauzee and whilst he certainly didn't deserve any neither did many others.

e.g Brown, Whittaker, Fletcher, Murphy, Jones, Beuzelin and many others.

We have become a petulant bunch of wee girls ready to take huge offence at any slight, such as leaving us for someone we don't like, a misplaced pass or whatever.

If the saying you get what you deserve is true then maybe we are.

For the money we pay in global terms, all we will ever sign is either developing talents or flawed genius's with a fair bit of mediocrity padding them out.

Maybe if we appreciated and supported and encouraged more what we have, we would get more of a return from them, rather than looking to nit pick faults in them.

Its a new dawn and a new day and well past time to get behind the team.

Rant Over

DaveF
21-11-2013, 08:40 PM

Gonna give this rubbish a rest please? It might have been funny in the chatbox but not on here.

I kinda agree, but it's only one or two who seem to love sticking the knife in. The (silent) majority would agree 100% with your post and appreciate Derek for everything he did at Hibernian FC.

Dashing Bob S
21-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Deeks obviously holding out for Hibs.

Make it happen, Tel.

(Runs away and cancels Hibs.net account for good.)

ancient hibee
21-11-2013, 09:43 PM

Every time I think what a miserable old git I am you come along and I realise I'm not so bad.

Jim44
21-11-2013, 10:25 PM
How many clubs has Riordan trained and had offers with yet still remains clubless. He must sell the footballing version of the big issue.

Billy McKirdy
21-11-2013, 11:23 PM
Sometimes. More than a second chance suffices.
Would take him back with NO hesitation.
It took me 7 years to get back into the job I love (driving buses with LRT) after leaving prematurely.
We all make career decisions we regret, I bet you he would NOT mess up if he got the opportunity to wear the green again.
He's proved himself twice....What's the problem with him coming back? I'm sure Tel would bring the best out of him :-)

lEXO
21-11-2013, 11:47 PM
For me he has to start playing somewhere to prove a few things. His fitness and desire to play. His ability has never been in doubt. I hope he does take a wee step back a level and use it to get back into the top league. He is far to good a player to not be playing. Always liked Deek as a player and whenever I have met him he has been nothing less than polite. Good luck to the guy

Pretty Boy
22-11-2013, 12:33 AM
Honestly I wonder if he wants to still be a professional athlete.

Shame, as six months at a Dumbarton/Arbroath banging goals in is just what he needs. Bought Gavin Rae an SPL contract.

Not sure about the 1st part but agree totally with the 2nd.

I think Derek would score for fun in the 1st or 2nd division and it would make clubs take notice. It worked wonders for Stephen Dobbie.

At the end of the day though it's up to Derek what he wants to do. I'll always remember him fondly for all he done at Hibs.

lEXO
22-11-2013, 12:33 AM

Whilst there is no disputing the fact that he hasn't achieved all he could have in his career, what he achieved with us was pretty spectacular and it will be a long time indeed in my opinion until it is matched.

I would prefer to revel in the good times with us, than castigate him for what he is or isn't doing now. He isn't the first footballer to deliver less than he could have in a career and wont be the last.

For those that would criticise his second spell with us or elements of it, I still think the Derek of that ilk was better than many of his successors.

I am also certain that taken over both his spells with Hibs, we got far far better value from him than we have from the vast majority of players in the post Bosman era.

There is no doubt that there have been many players in recent year worthy of our scorn, But Derek Riordan wasn't one of them and it would be good for him and our reputation as a support if we maybe appreciated our idols a bit better than we do.

The only player in recent memory I can think of who totally escaped any scorn was Frank Sauzee and whilst he certainly didn't deserve any neither did many others.

We have become a petulant bunch of wee girls ready to take huge offence at any slight, such as leaving us for someone we don't like, a misplaced pass or whatever.

For the money we pay in global terms, all we will ever sign is either developing talents or flawed genius's with a fair bit of mediocrity padding them out.

Maybe if we appreciated and supported and encouraged more what we have, we would get more of a return from them, rather than looking to nit pick faults in them.

Rant Over
Great post :top marks

monktonharp
22-11-2013, 12:59 AM

Rant Over
not a rant, imho. Derek is one of my all time favourites to wear the Hibernian colours and the first player I can remember kissing the badge. with that, I don't just mean our badge but it set a trend with others. 100 goals+ isnae too bad and at least 40% were crackers!. I was in deep depression, when he went to Celtic, and almost as sick as when Pat Stanton went there. I will always feel that it should not have happened, what with the shenanigans between Petrie/DR's agent/Celtic etc. did Deek actually want to go there if a decent wage from us was offered?

RIP Bestie
22-11-2013, 02:36 AM
That's worse than Mcpake not signing autographs!!!

Mad Riordan out!!
Bad news Derek being mentioned in the same post as that.......

RIP Bestie
22-11-2013, 02:48 AM
not a rant, imho. Derek is one of my all time favourites to wear the Hibernian colours and the first player I can remember kissing the badge. with that, I don't just mean our badge but it set a trend with others. 100 goals+ isnae too bad and at least 40% were crackers!. I was in deep depression, when he went to Celtic, and almost as sick as when Pat Stanton went there. I will always feel that it should not have happened, what with the shenanigans between Petrie/DR's agent/Celtic etc. did Deek actually want to go there if a decent wage from us was offered?
Me too and it got oh so much worse that day. Who else remembers what happened that day? Never thought I would ever forgive Derek for leaving to go to them but enjoyed seeing him for a second time. He's a Hibee and if he's playing for nowt it's a no brainer.

Beefster
22-11-2013, 06:58 AM
Every time I think what a miserable old git I am you come along and I realise I'm not so bad.

I touched a nerve then?

ancient hibee
22-11-2013, 11:51 AM
I touched a nerve then?

Wee joke.And not so much of the old by the way.

Anyone who gets upset about anything said on here is a sandwich short of a picnic.

M11BMO
22-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Another Riordan thread. Shock

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Here we go again!

Exactly! gie the guy a break FFS!

Phil D. Rolls
23-11-2013, 12:31 PM
What did he reject, the club, or the town?