PDA

View Full Version : Tel Gets Them Telt

Speedway
20-11-2013, 12:15 PM
To save you having to go to the site itself, here's a little bit of insight from Tel's early days at EM:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/new-hibs-boss-terry-butcher-2811453?

TERRY BUTCHER isn’t daft enough to think the job he’s taken on at Hibs will be a piece of cake.

But that didn’t stop the Easter Road gaffer buying a box of them for his first meeting with his
new players.

The big Englishman was renowned for stunts like that as Inverness boss. It was Tesco cakes at Caley but he’s now moved on to M&S.

It’s all change at Hibs these days. Yesterday the media were greeted by Butcher’s broad grin at the front door of the club’s Tranent training ground.

His predecessor, Pat Fenlon, wouldn’t let you near the place and smiles from the Irishman were about as rare as a Hibs goal.

Butcher couldn’t be more different. And after assessing his squad at the multi-million pound base he’s convinced the players Fenlon left behind can do a job.

He says they have the same kind of spirit he fostered in the Highland capital and plenty of natural ability. He feels if he can fill them with confidence – and cakes – the Hibees fans will be happy again.

Butcher said: “We sat down with all the players and had a bit of cake. I bought them but I’ll be sending the bill in to Mr Petrie.

“It was Tesco cakes at Caley Thistle but now it’s Marks and Spencer’s.

“I went to buy the cakes and everyone inside the shop spoke to me and wished me luck which was nice.

“We had the chat with the players on Monday. The dressing room can be an intimidating place but we asked them all to speak up. They were really good. It was funny, there was some humour in there too. I just got real honesty from the players.

“I asked them what they want to do here. Where they want to finish. Having a new manager is a big change but I told them they had to decide what they want to achieve at Hibs.

“Is the season going to peter out or are we going to change things? It wasn’t about what has gone on in the past, it was all about the future.

“The team spirit is here, I don’t see problems with that at all. The players are together, I don’t see cliques or bad apples.

“I’ve been really surprised by that. I thought there would be disharmony but there has been nothing.

“And there is certainly enough ability here for us to win matches and pick up points. I do not see any reason why we can’t have a real go.”

Such is Butcher’s work ethic he says he’ll see sunrise and sunset at Hibs’ training ground.

He has been blown away by the facilities at his disposal which are night and day compared to what he was used to Inverness – and in his playing days at Rangers.

Now he wants his new players to use what they have to produce tangible results.

Butcher said: “I see the sun set and rise here. I don’t stay overnight but it’s just wonderful to be here – I can’t wait to come to work.

“I hope there aren’t any nightmares around the corner because I’m living the dream working at a place like this.

“It’s what you work all those years for. I’m still getting lost in the place and bumping into members of staff when I open a door.

“At Rangers we would train at the Albion, which is now a car park. If you kicked the ball near the fence you had to sprint after it because the kids would duck under and nick it.

“We had players who had almost won the Treble lifting goals from the Albion to Ibrox because the kids could saw it up for scrap metal if we left them. It was remarkable.

“At Caley we would take a player and when he asked about training facilities we’d say, ‘Oh, I know a nice restaurant down here we could go to.’ We never took them to the training ground.

“But here, if a player comes from England or abroad, it will be a buzz for us to show them around.

“So it’s been wonderful so far. At Inverness the players never moaned about the facilities. For what they achieved without them, they deserve huge credit.

“We’ve got excellent facilities at Hibs but we need payback now with the players doing better.

“If we can get the same achievement the Caley Thistle players did it will be exciting for us. That’s our aim.”

Butcher will tinker with things at Hibs but is adamant he doesn’t need to change too much to achieve success.

He said: “I just want to bring the feelgood factor back to Easter Road.

“I’ve spoken to a lot of fans and they’ve been great. I know I’ll get stick at some point but I’ve had that all my career so I’ll just get on with it.

“I’ve changed little things like routines, times, things we eat. I’m might get the five Hs up on the tunnel. History, hunger, humility, hard work and honesty.

“It’s great because I’m like an artist with a blank canvas here. That gives you inspiration.”

Ritchie
20-11-2013, 12:21 PM
i like terry!

Golden Bear
20-11-2013, 12:21 PM
We now have a real Manager in place methinks.

:thumbsup:

Leishy1995
20-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Every interview makes me happier.

Alex Trager
20-11-2013, 12:26 PM
There you go. If anyone wants their five words for the tunnel. Use the five H's. Surely the club would let you use hard-work as one word?

Probably not. PETRIE!

Groathillgrump
20-11-2013, 12:27 PM
If he inspires the players as much as he inspires me, we should see performances and results improve very soon! :thumbsup:

lucky
20-11-2013, 12:30 PM
i like terry!

This

Niffy
20-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Butcher OUT , Butcher IN again for more interviews.

Cabbage East
20-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Lifted verbatim from the Scotsman site.

Golden Bear
20-11-2013, 12:35 PM
To save you having to go to the site itself, here's a little bit of insight from Tel's early days at EM:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/new-hibs-boss-terry-butcher-2811453?

TERRY BUTCHER isn’t daft enough to think the job he’s taken on at Hibs will be a piece of cake.

But that didn’t stop the Easter Road gaffer buying a box of them for his first meeting with his
new players.

The big Englishman was renowned for stunts like that as Inverness boss. It was Tesco cakes at Caley but he’s now moved on to M&S.

It’s all change at Hibs these days. Yesterday the media were greeted by Butcher’s broad grin at the front door of the club’s Tranent training ground.

His predecessor, Pat Fenlon, wouldn’t let you near the place and smiles from the Irishman were about as rare as a Hibs goal.

Butcher couldn’t be more different. And after assessing his squad at the multi-million pound base he’s convinced the players Fenlon left behind can do a job.

He says they have the same kind of spirit he fostered in the Highland capital and plenty of natural ability. He feels if he can fill them with confidence – and cakes – the Hibees fans will be happy again.

Butcher said: “We sat down with all the players and had a bit of cake. I bought them but I’ll be sending the bill in to Mr Petrie.

“It was Tesco cakes at Caley Thistle but now it’s Marks and Spencer’s.

“I went to buy the cakes and everyone inside the shop spoke to me and wished me luck which was nice.

“We had the chat with the players on Monday. The dressing room can be an intimidating place but we asked them all to speak up. They were really good. It was funny, there was some humour in there too. I just got real honesty from the players.

“I asked them what they want to do here. Where they want to finish. Having a new manager is a big change but I told them they had to decide what they want to achieve at Hibs.

“Is the season going to peter out or are we going to change things? It wasn’t about what has gone on in the past, it was all about the future.

“The team spirit is here, I don’t see problems with that at all. The players are together, I don’t see cliques or bad apples.

“I’ve been really surprised by that. I thought there would be disharmony but there has been nothing.

“And there is certainly enough ability here for us to win matches and pick up points. I do not see any reason why we can’t have a real go.”

Such is Butcher’s work ethic he says he’ll see sunrise and sunset at Hibs’ training ground.

He has been blown away by the facilities at his disposal which are night and day compared to what he was used to Inverness – and in his playing days at Rangers.

Now he wants his new players to use what they have to produce tangible results.

Butcher said: “I see the sun set and rise here. I don’t stay overnight but it’s just wonderful to be here – I can’t wait to come to work.

“I hope there aren’t any nightmares around the corner because I’m living the dream working at a place like this.

“It’s what you work all those years for. I’m still getting lost in the place and bumping into members of staff when I open a door.

“At Rangers we would train at the Albion, which is now a car park. If you kicked the ball near the fence you had to sprint after it because the kids would duck under and nick it.

“We had players who had almost won the Treble lifting goals from the Albion to Ibrox because the kids could saw it up for scrap metal if we left them. It was remarkable.

“At Caley we would take a player and when he asked about training facilities we’d say, ‘Oh, I know a nice restaurant down here we could go to.’ We never took them to the training ground.

“But here, if a player comes from England or abroad, it will be a buzz for us to show them around.

“So it’s been wonderful so far. At Inverness the players never moaned about the facilities. For what they achieved without them, they deserve huge credit.

“We’ve got excellent facilities at Hibs but we need payback now with the players doing better.

“If we can get the same achievement the Caley Thistle players did it will be exciting for us. That’s our aim.”

Butcher will tinker with things at Hibs but is adamant he doesn’t need to change too much to achieve success.

He said: “I just want to bring the feelgood factor back to Easter Road.

“I’ve spoken to a lot of fans and they’ve been great. I know I’ll get stick at some point but I’ve had that all my career so I’ll just get on with it.

“I’ve changed little things like routines, times, things we eat. I’m might get the five Hs up on the tunnel. History, hunger, humility, hard work and honesty.

“It’s great because I’m like an artist with a blank canvas here. That gives you inspiration.”

Interesting - and goes some way to explain the apparent hostility towards the Club with some sections of the Media.

Hopefully that will change as well.

Hibee87
20-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Butcher sacked after the cake bill lands on Petries desk. Mrs butcher better get her baking set looked out from now on

Alfred E Newman
20-11-2013, 12:41 PM
We now have a real Manager in place methinks.

:thumbsup:

:hmmm:

Mikeystewart
20-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Yogi talked a real good game at the start too and it turned out to be all talk and no walk.

All sounds positive though just hope the message gets to the players and as previously mentioned hopefully it inspires the players as much as the fans.

MoscowHibs
20-11-2013, 12:42 PM

Good luck wi that Terry, but somehow I dinnae think you will be getting :paid: anytime soon. This is the tache were talkin aboot.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-11-2013, 12:42 PM
You'd think he wouldve had the decency to help out our city rivals by investing in the numerous baked goods made by the Yammish ones. :)

Ozyhibby
20-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Butcher sacked after the cake bill lands on Petries desk. Mrs butcher better get her baking set looked out from now on

There bound to be a wee stall set up on Gorgie road where he could get cheap cakes?

Mikeystewart
20-11-2013, 12:43 PM

Butcher is a 21st Century manager, him and Mo will be up all night, pinnys oot.

ScottB
20-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Probably not the best time of year to boast of working from dawn till dusk :wink:

Hibercelona
20-11-2013, 12:48 PM
The song for the next few games.

:singing: "Who eat all the cakes!"

Hibbyradge
20-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Probably not the best time of year to boast of working from dawn till dusk :wink:

I thought that too. :agree:

However, although it may not be the best time to boast about it, it's definitely the best time of year to do it. :wink:

Sweep
20-11-2013, 12:51 PM
i like terry!

Me too. :agree:

IanM
20-11-2013, 12:51 PM

thats the ethic we've been missing, look forward to coming into work and staying, working hard..

the 5 H's should defo be used in this new tunnel wall they're designing

HFC07
20-11-2013, 12:53 PM
cracking read, Big Tel sounds like the dogs dangles.

Very excited for Saturday. :tbgwa:

Hibbyradge
20-11-2013, 12:56 PM

thats the ethic we've been missing, look forward to coming into work and staying, working hard..

In Edinburgh today, the sun rose after 8.00 am and will set before 4.00pm.

7 hours and 54 minutes.

In a week's time, the day will be even shorter 7 hours and 35 minutes.

December's probably his favourite month as the day is less than 7 hours long.

He's a lazy sod.

Eating cakes all days and talking pish about the good old days at Caley and Rangers to his main stream media pals is hardly a good work ethic.

Hibercelona
20-11-2013, 01:11 PM
In Edinburgh today, the sun rose after 8.00 am and will set before 4.00pm.

7 hours and 54 minutes.

In a week's time, the day will be even shorter 7 hours and 35 minutes.

December's probably his favourite month as the day is less than 7 hours long.

He's a lazy sod.

Eating cakes all days and talking pish about the good old days at Caley and Rangers to his main stream media pals is hardly a good work ethic.

:tee hee:

Sunset oot, sunrise in.

Saorsa
20-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Never liked the man as a player, maybe it was mair who he played for, but I have tae say he comes across well and as a really decent guy and somebody who seems tae have the right ideas and attitude.

I totally agree with him on this bit, despite what is posted on here I believe we have a talented squad of players, if no yet a perfect balance.

And there is certainly enough ability here for us to win matches and pick up points. I do not see any reason why we can’t have a real go.

IMO it needs a few things added but it's naewhere near as bad as some folk on here make it out tae be.

Dashing Bob S
20-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Great to see Tel supporting not only Hibs, but Edinburgh football in general. There must surely be a role (or a 'roll') for Jambos fans with their cake-making skills, following the post-liquidation scenario?

Lucius Apuleius
20-11-2013, 01:24 PM
Never liked the man as a player, maybe it was mair who he played for, but I have tae say he comes across well and as a really decent guy and somebody who seems tae have the right ideas and attitude.

I totally agree with him on this bit, despite what is posted on here I believe we have a talented squad of players, if no yet a perfect balance.

IMO it needs a few things added but it's naewhere near as bad as some folk on here make it out tae be.

/ \
|

This.

soupy
20-11-2013, 01:47 PM

Should be 6 Hs, The 6th being HIBERNIAN :-)

kaimendhibs
20-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Loved reading that interview

Sent from my iphone

barcahibs
20-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Interesting - and goes some way to explain the apparent hostility towards the Club with some sections of the Media.

Why? I wouldn't tell the daily record anything - a club policy of refusing to talk to journalists would be fine by me, who cares what they think?

Ozyhibby
20-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Why? I wouldn't tell the daily record anything - a club policy of refusing to talk to journalists would be fine by me, who cares what they think?

That was almost Fenlons policy. Didn't work out so well for him.
The club are in the entertainment business and need to engage with the media as much as possible.

givescotlandfreedom
20-11-2013, 02:41 PM

Something I liked about Fenlon his job wasn't to do pishy journos' jobs for them. The digs at the start were pathetic IMO.
Anyway back on topic I'm really enthusiastic about Butcher's appointment and every interview installs more confidence in me. I can see how he does so well at motivating players and a little confidence can go a long way.

hibees 7062
20-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Should be 6 Hs, The 6th being HIBERNIAN :-)

Or Heard it :greengrin

hibees 7062
20-11-2013, 02:59 PM

What was wrong wi Clydebank like :greengrin

barcahibs
20-11-2013, 03:04 PM
The club are in the entertainment business and need to engage with the media as much as possible.

Sorry not meaning to drag the thread of topic - I am also very enthused by Terry's appointment!

The club have their own media outlets, I'd much rather they invested in and used them than doing some parasite at the daily record's job for them.

Seriously, when has a newspaper or radio journalist ever done anything that could be construed as positive for Hibs (when not working directly for Hibs that is)? Their job is to sensationalise, gossip, stir trouble and pander to the old firm supporters. They lie, spin and twist the truth to suit their own purposes. It's not really their fault, that's just what they have to do to fill a page a day about Hibs, but I don't see why we should help them.

Do you really think the likes of Chick Young or James Traynor can tell you anything about the game you couldn't work out yourself? What actual skills do they have? What value do they add to the game? They don't add anything as far as I can see - actual match reports, yes, there's a place for that (and neither of those two can do that), but that's it IMO.

The problem is exacerbated in Scotland because it's such a small pond, and they're utterly reliant on a small pool of people to provide all their information - people they cannot offend, people they know they will have to see, and work with, the next day. They also can't say anything that will stir the ire of the few celgers fans able to read for fear of being hounded out of the door by their own newspaper's accountants.

This was amply showed up by their pathetic response to the old rangers crisis (and their pandering to the new The rangers) and their current complete avoidance of the real issues surrounding the hearts implosion.

I'd much rather listen to the club's official announcements and the gossip on here - it's no more or less accurate than the gossip printed in the papers, but is generally far more entertaining (and much better written - if I have to read once more about how a player "begged" for anything they wanted or 'blasted' at their critics I'll scream).

The actual interviews they conduct are also generally pish, no manager or player is ever going to say what they really feel in an interview, its the same stock phrases and platitudes every time.

And breathe... :greengrin

Having said that, this is one of the better types of story (hypocrite? Moi? :greengrin) But I'd much rather Hibs stuck a story on the website about Terry bringing in cakes so we could all get stuck into his unprofessional attitu... (oh wait, sorry getting ahead of myself there, we've got another six months before we start sticking the boot in :greengrin) than poison my eyes by reading something the record has cobbled together. The media need us, we don't need them anymore.

hibbymick
20-11-2013, 03:21 PM
If he inspires the players as much as he inspires me, we should see performances and results improve very soon! :thumbsup:

My work rates improved immensely :greengrin

Geo_1875
20-11-2013, 03:43 PM

Why? Even when we do play the media game they do their utmost to unsettle players and the team to the benefit of their favourites. We don't get decent treatment from them so **** them. We're not in the selling newspapers business.

GreenCastle
20-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Speaks a good game - he was never going to come out and say the dressing room is a mess. He speaks well and it's what the fans want to hear.

I find him refreshing and have already said I enjoy listening to him more than the previous managers over the last few years.

Saturday onwards we will tell what his future Hibs teams are going to be like - I am expecting players to treat it like a cup final Saturday to impress the new manager - the next 5 games should give you an idea how TB will shape Hibs.

number 27
20-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Speaks a good game - he was never going to come out and say the dressing room is a mess. He speaks well and it's what the fans want to hear.

I find him refreshing and have already said I enjoy listening to him more than the previous managers over the last few years.

Saturday onwards we will tell what his future Hibs teams are going to be like - I am expecting players to treat it like a cup final Saturday to impress the new manager - the next 5 games should give you an idea how TB will shape Hibs.

I really hope they don't treat it like a cup final given the performance and attitude in the last couple we played

Onceinawhile
20-11-2013, 04:18 PM
Cakes? I thought too many cakes caused us to be terrible under calderclown?

silverhibee
20-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Cakes? I thought too many cakes caused us to be terrible under calderclown?

Was it not pizzagate under CC.

BT58
20-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Wisnae cakes nor pizza
It was too many bags o sweeties !!!!
Victor

SMAXXA
20-11-2013, 05:47 PM
I really hope they don't treat it like a cup final given the performance and attitude in the last couple we played

:top marks

hibsbollah
20-11-2013, 05:50 PM

It wasnt Fenlons policy at all, :dunno: He tried hard to get on with the press IMO; Fenlons problem was he was a target for the bbc sportsound golfclub boys because he wasnt one of their pals. The only manager in recent times to dictate terms to the press was Collins. 'This is a Hibs press conference and i won't be answering any questions about rangers or celtic during it. Anyone who doesnt like that can leave'.

And we all know how that turned out.

Keith_M
20-11-2013, 06:08 PM
I can't wait to see the comments on this board at the weekend when we're 1-0 down at Half Time

:greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
20-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Lifted verbatim from the Scotsman site.

Did The Scotsman not have Maurice buying the cakes?
Cake-gate already... :)
Bet the wags at Tynie have their own version of the 5 h's already stuff them...

Viva_Palmeiras
20-11-2013, 06:54 PM

I think Pat got fed up with the media after being a bit too honest and getting mauled for it so he shut up shop. We have our own "tv channel" so there he could put his message across without the twist.

JimBHibees
20-11-2013, 08:44 PM
It wasnt Fenlons policy at all, :dunno: He tried hard to get on with the press IMO; Fenlons problem was he was a target for the bbc sportsound golfclub boys because he wasnt one of their pals. The only manager in recent times to dictate terms to the press was Collins. 'This is a Hibs press conference and i won't be answering any questions about rangers or celtic during it. Anyone who doesnt like that can leave'.

And we all know how that turned out.

I agree just after PF got the job Sportsound had a debate along the lines of why arent failed Scottish managerial gimps not getting the job instead of part time Irish ones. They certainly seemed to have it in for him IMO and no surprise that the welcome mat wasnt exactly being offered. I wonder how long Terry's relationship with the press will last though, wouldnt be surprised if it turns sour soon as dont get the impression he would shy away if he thought he was being criticised unfairly.

SkintHibby
20-11-2013, 08:58 PM
He talks a good game but he has a monumental task getting a team full of mostly average players winning regularly.

Sir David Gray
20-11-2013, 09:08 PM

I don't think it was necessary for them to say that about Fenlon.

I remember him smiling quite a lot so to try and paint him as someone who was glum and sullen is unfair.

Fergos
20-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Sorry not meaning to drag the thread of topic - I am also very enthused by Terry's appointment!

The club have their own media outlets, I'd much rather they invested in and used them than doing some parasite at the daily record's job for them.

Seriously, when has a newspaper or radio journalist ever done anything that could be construed as positive for Hibs (when not working directly for Hibs that is)? Their job is to sensationalise, gossip, stir trouble and pander to the old firm supporters. They lie, spin and twist the truth to suit their own purposes. It's not really their fault, that's just what they have to do to fill a page a day about Hibs, but I don't see why we should help them.

Do you really think the likes of Chick Young or James Traynor can tell you anything about the game you couldn't work out yourself? What actual skills do they have? What value do they add to the game? They don't add anything as far as I can see - actual match reports, yes, there's a place for that (and neither of those two can do that), but that's it IMO.

The problem is exacerbated in Scotland because it's such a small pond, and they're utterly reliant on a small pool of people to provide all their information - people they cannot offend, people they know they will have to see, and work with, the next day. They also can't say anything that will stir the ire of the few celgers fans able to read for fear of being hounded out of the door by their own newspaper's accountants.

This was amply showed up by their pathetic response to the old rangers crisis (and their pandering to the new The rangers) and their current complete avoidance of the real issues surrounding the hearts implosion.

I'd much rather listen to the club's official announcements and the gossip on here - it's no more or less accurate than the gossip printed in the papers, but is generally far more entertaining (and much better written - if I have to read once more about how a player "begged" for anything they wanted or 'blasted' at their critics I'll scream).

The actual interviews they conduct are also generally pish, no manager or player is ever going to say what they really feel in an interview, its the same stock phrases and platitudes every time.

And breathe... :greengrin

Having said that, this is one of the better types of story (hypocrite? Moi? :greengrin) But I'd much rather Hibs stuck a story on the website about Terry bringing in cakes so we could all get stuck into his unprofessional attitu... (oh wait, sorry getting ahead of myself there, we've got another six months before we start sticking the boot in :greengrin) than poison my eyes by reading something the record has cobbled together. The media need us, we don't need them anymore.

Some class points made here in respect of how Hibs have been treated recently by the Scottish sport scoops.....

GGTTH

Kaiserclem
20-11-2013, 10:00 PM
M & S cakes? Too much money I reckon lol. On a serious note though, I am also happier and happier every time I hear his interviews, good man manager and given a year the performances will improve drastically too (can't get any worse). Let's get behind this guy and the team.

'Mon the cabbage!

Criswell
20-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Not really sure why the Scottish media would have an agenda against us. Having underacheived for decades, give or take the odd decent season, we can hardly be seen to be threat to the established order. If you play attractive winning football you will get praise for it, if you constantly languish at the bottom end of the table, playing boring negative football......Well, what do you expect?

fat freddy
21-11-2013, 12:10 AM
I dont like the man...I went into M&S for a box of cakes this afternoon and they were sold out..:grr:

gorgie greens
21-11-2013, 07:55 AM
I dont like the man...I went into M&S for a box of cakes this afternoon and they were sold out..:grr:

Leave the cakes alone Freddy,last thing we want is TB stopping off in Gorgie to buy any ,they seem to do a lot of home baking in that neck of the woods,leave m&s for him as we don't want him going elsewhere

Phil MaGlass
21-11-2013, 10:08 AM

hahahahaha:greengrin

Dalianwanda
21-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Succulent cake

Holmesdale Hibs
21-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Good interview, I'm sold. I've liked almost everything he's said since joining the club, although replicating Inverness is only the first part of what I hope he achieves.

Comes across a decent guy as well, which is something I never thought I'd say 20 years ago.

Speedway
21-11-2013, 02:03 PM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/terry-butcher-tells-of-his-love-for-edinburgh-and-hibs-1-3196978

He’s barely had time to stop for a quiet glass of his favoured red wine, but Terry Butcher couldn’t be happier with how his first week as manager of Hibs has gone. The big Englishman is in his element roaming about his new base at East Mains and it’s safe to say he’s already proud to be a Hibby.

“It’s been exhilarating and entertaining and everything else,” he said of his fledgling days in charge of the Edinburgh club. “Between training, watching games and looking at houses, I’m knackered by the end of the day. I haven’t had time to have a drink – I’ve had more coffee than I’ve had wine lately, which is unusual for me. It’s tiring, but it’s brilliant.”

As well as appointing a pretty handy football manager, Hibs look to have found themselves the perfect ambassador. His enthusiasm for his new club is as genuine as it is infectious. In just a week at the helm, he has already done more than most of his recent predecessors to enliven the place. The air of gloom his been lifted by Butcher’s natural ability to embellish the positives. From waxing lyrical about the training facilities and the club’s history, to talking up the quality in the squad he has inherited, Butcher has instantly made the whole club feel better about itself.

He wants everyone to know how special a club he has joined and is eager to get involved with everything Hibs-related. Just two days into his job, when many others would have been seeking some respite after a whirlwind move from Inverness, he was in attendance at a book launch at the stadium last 
Thursday night, mingling with fans and former players. Butcher is all about 
immersing himself in the culture of his club and he wants everyone else at Hibs to be of a similar mindset.

“The Erich Schaedler book launch was a very good night,” he said in an exclusive interview with the Evening News. “I got a very good reception from everyone. It was good to see Pat Stanton, Jackie McNamara senior and Kano [Paul Kane] and other ex-players there. You’re part of the club, so it’s important that you go out and meet the fans and other people connected with the club and show that you’re committed. Hibs has a fantastic history and there are a lot of good Hibees out there, so there has to be a real bond and affinity between the current players and staff and the former players and the fans. I got a letter from a Hibs fan who thought I’d made a big mistake coming here, but generally the response from the Hibs fans has been tremendously positive. I’ve also met a lot of Hearts fans in the city and had photos with them and they’re saying stuff like ‘don’t be too harsh on us in the New Year derby’.”

He wants to make the club more friendly and accessible than it has been in recent seasons. Under Colin Calderwood and Fenlon, Hibs became one of the least media-friendly clubs in the country, to the point where the latter even took the step of making East Mains, which has always been a nice place to conduct interviews, a no-go area for outsiders, including press. The one press conference a week was instead staged at Easter Road and they were invariably uninspiring affairs. In that regard, Butcher is the polar opposite of his recent predecessors. He loves 
talking about football and, eager to show off his new workplace, he has thrown open the doors of East Mains and intends to make Hibs a far more welcoming club. Already the sense of staleness appears to have 
vanished.

“We want to have a good relationship with the press, so we can let the fans know what we’re doing,” he explained. “Fans love to read about what the players and management are thinking, so we need to be an accessible club. I’ve never been one to keep my club a closed shop. It’s nice to be nice. We want to be a friendly club and get Hibs prominent on the back pages of the papers.”

As a newspaper columnist and occasional pundit himself, Butcher is, admittedly, more media savvy than many of his predecessors. At a time when most Scottish clubs are experiencing a downturn in attendances, he understands the value of good publicity. “I do my column every week for the Sunday Mirror and I did the England-Poland game for the radio. I loved that. I’m always open to that sort of thing. It can help put Hibs on the map.”

While gaining Hibs some extra column inches or airtime may not have any direct bearing on their performances on the pitch, such switches in policy are all small parts of trying to get the house in order and make the club as a whole more vibrant going forward. “You come into a club like this and everything hits you straight away,” he says of his Easter Road baptism. “So many people want your time and want to know what you’re thinking and what you want to change, so you have to make a lot of decisions pretty quickly. If we can get most of the small decisions right, hopefully that can add up to the bigger picture of success on the pitch.”

Still in a state of flux off the field as he tries to find a new home for his wife Rita and his pet dog Fritz, Butcher is currently living in Fenlon’s old flat in Morningside. As someone who loved what the picturesque Highlands had to offer during his five years there as manager of Inverness, Butcher is similarly enthralled by the prospect of living in or around Scotland’s capital city. “I’m really enjoying Edinburgh so far,” said the 54-year-old. “I’d only ever really been in and out of Edinburgh in the past, so this is the 
longest period I’ve spent here. I’m starting to find my way about already; it’s a brilliant city. There’s plenty nice wine shops and stuff like that; you can’t help but enjoy yourself here. We’ve been out and about to one or two places, but we’re still trying to find our feet. We don’t know where we’re going to live yet, but we’ve certainly got loads of good choices. We want to get down here as quickly as possible and put down roots so we can give everything to the club. I’m staying in Pat’s old place in Morningside.

“When George Burley was Scotland manager he used to live in Morningside, so we used to come down and stay at his. We got to know Morningside well, so that’s one area we’re looking at. We love East Lothian as well 
because, when we had our hotel at Bridge of Allan, we used to go to North Berwick between Christmas and New Year. We’d stay in Dirleton or Gullane and go to the Marine 
Hotel’s Christmas Dinner dance, which was good fun. It’s a good area.”

Butcher was in no danger of going stale up in Inverness, but he admits that, just as he hopes the Hibs players will be lifted by his arrival, the change of scenery has served to inject him with fresh impetus. “Sometimes in football you need something new and fresh to stimulate you,” he said. “It can help get you on the front foot and I think Hibs need that because they have been on the back foot for too long now. Even myself as a manager, I certainly wasn’t on the back foot at Caley Thistle, but I can benefit from a new challenge. Already I’m waking up in the morning thinking ‘oh yeah, I’m going to be at the training ground today.’ It’s all different and it’s exciting.

HibbyAndy
21-11-2013, 02:07 PM
This man will never ever let Hearts have the upper hand in a Derby whilst in charge.

They will never again be "More up for it" than us.
Bring on the 2nd

Kato
21-11-2013, 02:10 PM
I agree just after PF got the job Sportsound had a debate along the lines of why arent failed Scottish managerial gimps not getting the job instead of part time Irish ones. They certainly seemed to have it in for him IMO and no surprise that the welcome mat wasnt exactly being offered. I wonder how long Terry's relationship with the press will last though, wouldnt be surprised if it turns sour soon as dont get the impression he would shy away if he thought he was being criticised unfairly.

I heard that interview and thought it was disgusting. They followed the line that they couldn't understand why a Scottish manager wasn't picked but there was a thinly veiled anti-Irish feel in there too. Any angle they can take to have a go at Hibs and they will take it.

Bobby's Cinema
21-11-2013, 02:50 PM
TB coming up Live on SSN shortly

TheFamous1875
21-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Has he been on yet? Sitting at the telly like a dork!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bobby's Cinema
21-11-2013, 03:23 PM
Has he been on yet? Sitting at the telly like a dork!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Aye he's been on. Pretty much recycling the same stuff :aok: Looking forward to Sat and a big Hibs support

Golden Bear
21-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Ah well - Tel will no be getting them telt frae the touchline on Saturday as he's been banned from the touchline according to a Radio Scotland news report!

Speedway
22-11-2013, 10:35 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/terry-butcher-hopes-over-hibs-goals-1-3198232

Butcher can’t promise a sudden goal rush, but he has seen evidence of confidence returning to his much maligned strikers. “The way that we want to play lends itself to creating more chances and hopefully creating more crosses and shots,” he said. “It is not something the team has done with a great fluency and confidence.

“There are enough skilful players – people like Paul Heffernan, Liam Craig and Scott Robertson and people like that who have scored the majority of Hibs’ goals. They have enjoyed that part of the training and they have enjoyed putting the ball in the back of the net.

“I think everyone has scored – even Rowan Vine scored, and James Collins, and everyone!”

Butcher has decided on who he wants as captain, although he won’t tell the players until today. He has been taken back by the interest in this particular matter. “I wasn’t thinking much about the captaincy until everyone started asking me about it – but I think I know what I am going to do,” he said.

“I have a couple of good options. James [McPake] has been captain already and Ben [Williams], so we’ll see. I will tell the team tomorrow so I hope no one reveals it on Twitter, Mr Vine!”

“I like to name the team on a Friday and name the subs on Saturday. I like to get these routines in place,” he added

Speedway
22-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Terry Butcher is on a mission to stir up the sound and fury that greeted him on his debut in Scottish football - by making Hibernian a team that everyone hates to face.

The former England captain, unveiled as Hibs boss on a three-year contract on Tuesday, made his bow for Rangers at Easter Road back in August 1986 - and watched it all kick off as player-manager Graeme Souness was red carded in a 2-1 win for the home side.

As he revealed his first job at Easter Road will be to inspire passion and put fight into a team widely derided as soft touches under a succession of managers, the former Inverness Caley Thistle boss admitted: ‘At this moment in time, people playing against Hibs probably think they have a good chance of three points.

‘We want to change that mentality - and be a team people hate playing against.

‘Simply because we are organised, strong, there is bags of effort and we are wholehearted together
- and the boys can play a bit as well. That is a start and then we will see how far we get.

‘I want our team to be known as overachievers - does that sound good? Give me time and I might produce better. The Hibs fans expect better and we want to deliver better.’

Recalling that infamous day 27 years ago, Butcher said: ‘This is where it all happened - and it has come round full circle for me. It is really weird.

‘There was a big slope on the pitch in those days and it was not quite the magnificent stadium it is now. But it was full to capacity.

‘It is our aim to get it back to that. Not so much to bring the Hibs fans back, but to get them feeling proud of the club and the players.

Spike Mandela
22-11-2013, 11:43 AM
I don't know if it's just because Butcher is new in the job so there is a lot of attention, or if he and Hibs are making an effort to get the attention, or a combination of both, but it feels like there has been much more (positive!) media coverage of Hibs in the past week or so, which is really nice to see. You can sense a change in things already, there is a new-found positivity and confidence and I just hope it's backed up with a good performance on the pitch tomorrow! :thumbsup:

A group of journalists on Sportsound last night were discussing how much more open Butcher had made Hibs to them. They are welcome at East Mains now where previously all media was done at ER. Butcher has also increased the regular press briefings from once a week to twice a week. Media is very important for raising profile of the club so only a good thing imo.

A lot more press coming for Hibs and the new regime should be extremely good for the likes of the EEN.

PatHead
22-11-2013, 11:15 PM
A group of journalists on Sportsound last night were discussing how much more open Butcher had made Hibs to them. They are welcome at East Mains now where previously all media was done at ER. Butcher has also increased the regular press briefings from once a week to twice a week. Media is very important for raising profile of the club so only a good thing imo.

A lot more press coming for Hibs and the new regime should be extremely good for the likes of the EEN.

David Forsyth and Gary O'Hagan were saying yesterday that TB fills a room when he walks in, not only because he is 6 foot 4 but he has a presence that just grabs the room, when he talks you listen, he has spoken to every member of staff to let them know what he wants from them and believes he will turn us around. He can't believe the facilities at Easter Road, especially the gym. His contacts in the media are unbelievable and even the SFA moved their press conference rather than compete with TB's appointment live on tv. When were Sky, Talksport etc last interested in Hibs? We are big news,,,,,,,,,,,,

Does anyone down south feel our presence has been noted down there?

RyeSloan
22-11-2013, 11:59 PM
David Forsyth and Gary O'Hagan were saying yesterday that TB fills a room when he walks in, not only because he is 6 foot 4 but he has a presence that just grabs the room, when he talks you listen, he has spoken to every member of staff to let them know what he wants from them and believes he will turn us around. He can't believe the facilities at Easter Road, especially the gym. His contacts in the media are unbelievable and even the SFA moved their press conference rather than compete with TB's appointment live on tv. When were Sky, Talksport etc last interested in Hibs? We are big news,,,,,,,,,,,, Does anyone down south feel our presence has been noted down there?

It's certainly been interesting so see how widely reported his move has been.

Seeing his interview on SSN was excellent...he certainly knows how to talk to the press. He's about a high profile a manager as we could have hoped for and I would say deserve.

Let's hope he can carry the positivity into the weekend and the team perform. Any result will do but a convincing win would put a wee bit extra wind in the sails of what has felt like a bit of a rather sudden and unexpected revolution

Dashing Bob S
23-11-2013, 02:17 AM
This man will never ever let Hearts have the upper hand in a Derby whilst in charge.

They will never again be "More up for it" than us.
Bring on the 2nd

Yes, let's get ripped in about those stricken, liquidising pygmies. See how they do against a real Hibs side, without their financial doping.

Jack
23-11-2013, 07:58 AM
I see TB drives a large BMW.

The car you drive reflects your personality.

I see this BMW owning as something very positive and will rattle the rather complacent attitude adopted by the Mercedes owners at the club ... and the Jag owner ;-)

Aldo
23-11-2013, 08:50 AM
Just caught the tail end if it in SSN...he said I'm . Like a kid at Xmas with pressies under tree. Cannot wait for Xmas day to see what it is...... I cannot wait to see my new team play (or words similar)

Mon Hibs.

Ronniekirk
23-11-2013, 09:00 AM

I see this BMW owning as something very positive and will rattle the rather complacent attitude adopted by the Mercedes owners at the club ... and the Jag owner ;-)
couldn't care less what type o car he has as long has he drives the team to victory today, :flag:

blackpoolhibs
23-11-2013, 09:12 AM
David Forsyth and Gary O'Hagan were saying yesterday that TB fills a room when he walks in, not only because he is 6 foot 4 but he has a presence that just grabs the room, when he talks you listen, he has spoken to every member of staff to let them know what he wants from them and believes he will turn us around. He can't believe the facilities at Easter Road, especially the gym. His contacts in the media are unbelievable and even the SFA moved their press conference rather than compete with TB's appointment live on tv. When were Sky, Talksport etc last interested in Hibs? We are big news,,,,,,,,,,,,

Does anyone down south feel our presence has been noted down there?

Everyone i speak to has heard about Terry signing for Hibs, everyone who knows me as a Hibs fan has mentioned Butcher being our new manager.

We do seem to be on the news programmes here, something i cant say i noticed as much under previous managers?

Butcher is a big English hero, they are interested in him more than Hibs, but thats understandable.

Craig_in_Prague
23-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Just caught the tail end if it in SSN...he said I'm . Like a kid at Xmas with pressies under tree. Cannot wait for Xmas day to see what it is...... I cannot wait to see my new team play (or words similar)

Mon Hibs.

Only to open the present and discover a pair of socks :)

Hibs Giant
23-11-2013, 10:08 AM
he was a target for the bbc sportsound golfclub boys because he wasnt one of their pals.

:rotflmao: :agree:

Viva_Palmeiras
23-11-2013, 10:39 AM

Or your income bracket unless you adopt yamanomics ;)

Speedway
06-12-2013, 01:35 PM
MoTel liking what they're seeing in training.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/malpas-spying-on-hibs-gave-me-wrong-impression-1-3219895

A MONTH ago Maurice Malpas was simply doing his job when he sent the Hibs support home from Easter Road with their faces tripping them. On Saturday, it’s up to him and boss Terry Butcher to ensure that they are sporting huge grins when they leave.

Provided he remembers to turn right rather than left at the end of the tunnel, Malpas will find himself in the home dug-out rather than the away one which he occupied that day as caretaker manager of Inverness Caley Thistle while Butcher sat in the stand high above him contemplating his future and taking no part in the events of the day.

In a somewhat surreal scenario both Hibs and Caley found themselves in a state of flux, the Capital club seeking a new manager to replace Pat Fenlon and believing Butcher was their man while Inverness were fighting tooth-and-nail to keep the big Englishman in the Highlands but conscious of the fact they were losing the battle.

As such, Malpas and Jimmy Nicholl found themselves in no-man’s land, taking charge of their respective clubs unsure of what the future held but with the immediate task of thrusting all the off-field distractions to one side to concentrate on snaring the three points.

Malpas it was who came out on top, early goals from Nicky Ross and Billy McKay meaning the result was never in doubt, another defeat compounding the misery for a dispirited Hibs support.

That was then, though, and now is now. Reunited with Butcher as the new management team at Easter Road, the pair approach their first home match – some three-and-a-half weeks after being appointed – against Partick Thistle seeking to build on the momentum gained in their opening two games, a goal-less draw away to St Mirren followed by a first ever win over Ross County, which propelled them into the fifth round of the Scottish Cup.

“Jimmy and I had a strange conversation before the Hibs-Caley match,” revealed Malpas, “asking each other ‘how has your week been?’. To be honest, the week leading up to it was chaotic. Stressful is the wrong word, but it was abnormal for me. I was used to Terry sitting across the desk from me but that wasn’t the case that week.

“He had come and spoken to the chairman here, they were still negotiating and I was left to take the helm at Inverness where I knew what was going to happen, what could happen, but I wasn’t sure what was going to happen. It was all pie-in-the-sky for me.

“My biggest fear gong into the game was that the players did not have their eye on the ball and were beaten because of attitude and that’s a no-no for us. But to be fair, the players were spot on, scoring early helped and it was comfortable. It was my job at the time. It was a difficult situation to be in but you go onto automatic pilot and get engrossed in the game.”

Malpas readily admits that when he and Butcher first set foot inside Hibs’ training complex at East Mains they had a preconception of the task facing them which, to their relief, hasn’t proved as onerous as they feared. He said: “I think the impression we got looking from afar and possibly the last game when I was at Caley gave us concern about their attitude and fitness.

“I think that was dispelled in the first week of training. The first morning they were nervous and I can understand that but the second day, once we got in amongst them, got a bit of banter going, a lot of those perceptions just disappeared and their attitude in the two games has been spot on.

“We have asked them to train in the manner we have always done. We try to train how we play and they have lapped it up.”

Malpas believes the preconception which he and Butcher shared was probably based on a combination of being a false impression and a lack of confidence within the squad they’d inherited. He said: “I perhaps picked the wrong games to come and see Hibs. I was at the Malmo game, the Partick match which they won but didn’t play particularly well, and, of course, the couple of times they’d played Caley.

“That was how we had built up our picture but after the first couple of days our picture wasn’t fuzzy, it just was not there at all. You have to give the boys credit, but I also have to admit there was a bit of relief from our point-of-view.”

Malpas insisted there’s no great secret to the transformation which he and Butcher have wrought in such a short space of time, simply a high-tempo game, a strong work ethic and the onus put on having the ball in and around the opposition penalty area as often as possible.

He said: “We were concerned that one or two would not want to come with us in terms of how we train and how we play, how we go about our business. First and foremost they have to work hard. Even when you are having a complete disaster of a game you still have to be giving your team something.

“We have asked them to work their tails off and if you do that you have a chance, your ability will show eventually. In the two games so far their attitude has been spot on, their fitness has been excellent. Up in Dingwall and down to ten men they still had plenty of legs in them and that’s a massive plus for us.

“We don’t train particularly long but we do train at a high tempo and play at a high tempo. It’s a mental thing. I am sure a lot of guys do not want to play that way but that’s the way we play – for 90 minutes. We’ve been pleasantly surprised they’ve all come on board, they have all wanted to do it.

“Sometimes it’s complete graft that gets you a win, sometimes it will be the ability to play exciting football in terms of plenty of goal-scoring opportunities. It’s all about winning games. How do you win games? You need to get the ball into their box, create chances, get attempts on goal.

“You can make 35 passes in your own box but that does not get you anything. It’s about playing in the other team’s box and scoring goals, which is the hardest thing to do. For me, the most exciting thing watching a game is the number of chances you create – a wee stramash in the box, stuff like that – so hopefully the fans will enjoy coming to watch us.

“There will be days when we can’t kick our backsides, but as long as we are working hard we’ll still have a chance of creating chances and getting a result.”

While Hibs have been backed by large travelling supports in both Paisley and Dingwall, Malpas admitted it was now up to the players to reproduce such performances in their own stadium. He said: “The fans judge you on how you play at home, they come along to their own stadium and want to see their team do well.

“I think if you look at the records, 99.99 per cent of the teams that are successful are successful because of their home form. There’s not a lot of teams who consistently play well away from home and win, and poorly at home and lose, who do that well. The onus on us changes slightly on Saturday in that we have to be dominating the game or dictating how it is played. We want Easter Road to be a noisy stadium. The fans have been great in the two away games and I am sure they will back us.

“But at ten to five on Saturday they’ll only be interested in whether it’s three points or whatever.”