PDA

View Full Version : How much of an honour is a Scotland cap

RIP Bestie
19-11-2013, 10:15 PM
See Christophe Berra got his 28th cap tonight for 30 seconds on the park and one touch of the ball.
12 more caps than Pat Stanton.
Something not right there.

monktonharp
19-11-2013, 10:20 PM
See Christophe Berra got his 28th cap tonight for 30 seconds on the park and one touch of the ball.

he couldnae lace Paddy's boots tae, and I wouldnae give him a job carrying ma piece box!

RIP Bestie
19-11-2013, 10:26 PM
he couldnae lace Paddy's boots tae, and I wouldnae give him a job carrying ma piece box!
He's *****. Just used Paddy as an example but when you think of all the players who never got capped and that imposter is sitting with 28. Makes no sense, although most of them were down to Potter.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Cannae beat a chance to have a dash at the national side, enjoy guys!

Bishop Hibee
19-11-2013, 10:52 PM
Daft thread title. I'm sure Berra is proud of all his caps regardless what anyone thinks of him as a player.

A lot of the Scotland haters have crawled back under their rock now the team is getting better results. Well done Gordon Strachan. Sickens me that that trumpet Levein ruined a great chance to qualify for Brazil 2014.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-11-2013, 11:12 PM
Im happy enough to say that one of the best Scotland performances I've ever seen was by Alan McLaren when he marked Baggio out the game at Ibrox, I couldnae give a donald who the boys play for club wise cos I'm not fortunate enough to select the national squad.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-11-2013, 11:14 PM
I was a tad hacked off in Prague when Harry picked THAT team but what can you do?

RIP Bestie
19-11-2013, 11:30 PM
Daft thread title. I'm sure Berra is proud of all his caps regardless what anyone thinks of him as a player.

A lot of the Scotland haters have crawled back under their rock now the team is getting better results. Well done Gordon Strachan. Sickens me that that trumpet Levein ruined a great chance to qualify for Brazil 2014.
I'm sure he is. In my opinion he should be scratching his head wondering how he managed to make a career out of the game but he has and I'm sure he's proud of himself. Good luck to him. The point of this was to show how it looks to other people. Imagine a scenario where two former players are at a function and are being introduced to someone who knows nothing about them. "Let me introduce you to Christophe Berra, a former Heart of Midlothian player who earned 28 international caps and this is Jackie McNamara who played for Hibernian. . . . That person would probably walk away thinking Berra was a good player and Jackie was gash. Laughable really.

GordonHFC
19-11-2013, 11:44 PM
Question- why when you are 1 0 up and three and a half minutes into injury time does the manager make a substitution. All this does is make the referee add on more time. Dont understand the logic in it if there is no injury.

stevenhibs
20-11-2013, 03:43 AM
Because it kills momentum. Nothing more than that really.

lapsedhibee
20-11-2013, 09:17 AM

The thing that's most not right there is that PS was kept out of the Scotland team on at least 3949138401374 occasions by less good OF players.

Onceinawhile
20-11-2013, 09:29 AM

Been seeing a lot of comments that Scotland haven't made any progress under strachan. Including that the neither of the last two results constitute progress.

it seems mostly to be coming from sevco fans though, so I don't know if they just dislike strachan for his celtic links?

brian6-2
20-11-2013, 09:51 AM

:agree:

its getting really boring.

Scouse Hibee
20-11-2013, 09:56 AM

It's a fantastic honour to be capped by your country regrdless of your individual ability as opposed to others. Players of different eras cannot really be compared with regard to number of caps achieved. Similarily, many very good players miss out due to there being exceptional players in their preferred postions that they can't displace on a regular basis.

JimBHibees
20-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Been seeing a lot of comments that Scotland haven't made any progress under strachan. Including that the neither of tje last two results constitute progress.

it seems mostly to be coming from sevco fans though, so I don't know if they just dislike strachan for his celtic links?

Even the basic stat of two clean sheets is progress. Strachan has done well no doubt and he is obviously a very good coach as even last night when we were poor the team at least looked defensively organised for the most part. Friendlies are for trying guys out which has happened even if to show who can or cannot do a job. I really hope Adam wasnt shaking his head when coming off because he didnt think he deserved to be subbed. Thought he was very poor and defensively a liability.

stu in nottingham
20-11-2013, 10:13 AM
If ever you get to thinking that winning a cap for Scotland is not an honour, take a read of this fantastic book by Gary Imlach, son of Scotland internationalist, Stuart Imlach.

My Father and Other Working-Class Football Heroes (http://www.theguardian.com/books/2005/sep/10/featuresreviews.guardianreview8)

Take a read of it anyway, it's as good a book about sports as you'll ever set eyes on.

Hibbyradge
20-11-2013, 10:30 AM

That's not a very nice expression! Why do people who dislike the Scotland team live under a rock? :confused:

Some people turned away from Scotland because of Levein's tactics, because of the way they played football, because they were horrible to watch and the fact that they couldn't score, never mind win.

Things have improved under Strachan, and winning meaningless games is good for morale and confidence, but it will be interesting to see how we do when there are points at stake.

marinello59
20-11-2013, 10:41 AM
If ever you get to thinking that winning a cap for Scotland is not an honour, take a read of this fantastic book by Gary Imlach, son of Scotland internationalist, Stuart Imlach.

My Father and Other Working-Class Football Heroes (http://www.theguardian.com/books/2005/sep/10/featuresreviews.guardianreview8)

Take a read of it anyway, it's as good a book about sports as you'll ever set eyes on.
:agree:
It's a superb wee book.

frazeHFC
20-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Not that I saw Scotland play any time before the 90s, but is it fair to assume that the reason Berra has more caps than Stanton is cause the standards have dropped significantly, the lack of a tournament in 15 years would suggest that anyway. We have a lot of strength in depth in midfield and up front now, but at the back we are short of the quality needed, hopefully a few young defenders coming through the ranks soon!

heretoday
20-11-2013, 11:53 AM
It should be a huge honour but in recent years we've all grown accustomed to hearing of last-minute call-offs from Scotland squads for dubious reasons that would suggest the players and clubs consider international football a less than vital issue.

This in turn has often led to less than first class players getting capped e.g. Berra.

I hate to hark back all the time but you have to believe the Scotland team in the 60s and 70s was the talk of the steamie and players wanted desperately to be picked.

Guys like Alan Gordon and Jocky Scott couldn't get a game.

Sylar
20-11-2013, 12:53 PM
My grandfather's brother received 6 caps for his national side and not just him but the full family were (and are) proud of his achievement. I actually have one of his medals (which players were given back then) from when he played against Wales in a glass case.

Representing your country should be the highest of footballing honours IMO and I'm sure every player who steps onto the pitch in their national shirt is proud that they've done so.

Arguably, it's been increasingly easier to get to play at the international level on account of the eligibility rules and increase in frequency (I think?) of international games but I'm still sure the players are proud that they achieve it.

Hibbyradge
20-11-2013, 01:03 PM
My grandfather's brother received 6 caps for his national side and not just him but the full family were (and are) proud of his achievement. I actually have one of his medals (which players were given back then) from when he played against Wales in a glass case.

I'd loved to have seen that.

No wonder he got a medal.

clerriehibs
20-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Not a lot, when players who aren't scottish, don't want to be scottish, and have never supported scotland are happy to be picked because they're not good enough for their own country.

Thecat23
20-11-2013, 01:15 PM
I used to love watching Scotland games years ago. Now I find the international break a pain in the arse. I thinks I lost interest after us failing to make any of the finals since 98.

Also along with journey men who really don't know what it means to wear the dark blue put me off going out my way to watch them. Hopefully Strachan gets some pride back and they are worth watching again.

Thing is you can't blame players either If they are getting picked, anyone would say yes to a national team asking for your services. Or I would anyway. If Scotland didn't rate me but say Ireland did and I could play for them I would.

Sylar
20-11-2013, 01:19 PM
I'd loved to have seen that.

No wonder he got a medal.

Dick :greengrin

AndyM_1875
20-11-2013, 01:46 PM
The great Gordon Smith got 19 Caps for Scotland.
Jimmy Johnstone got 23, Davie Cooper 22.

And Berra has 28 with more to come. :brickwall

leither17
20-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Berra is a decent player can't think who else he was keeping out when he was playing his level now is getting 30 secs for our sort of b team last night

EH54
20-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Should be one of there proudest moments as a footballer playing for your country i don't think much comes or should come close to it.

Dashing Bob S
20-11-2013, 01:58 PM
There have always been diddy's who've picked up Scotland caps, for whatever reason. However, the team has been so poor over the last twenty years, that any no-mark can now get a string of caps. Currently, a Scotland cap is not so much an honour as an embarrassment, and if I had one I'd probably keep quiet about it, store it in the back of a cupboard or see if I could swap it for a deerstalker on ebay.

ancient hibee
20-11-2013, 02:03 PM
I'd be more than happy to see Berra at ER compared to the centre halves we do have.

silverhibee
20-11-2013, 04:14 PM
There have always been diddy's who've picked up Scotland caps, for whatever reason. However, the team has been so poor over the last twenty years, that any no-mark can now get a string of caps. Currently, a Scotland cap is not so much an honour as an embarrassment, and if I had one I'd probably keep quiet about it, store it in the back of a cupboard or see if I could swap it for a deerstalker on ebay.

Not even sure you get a actual cap either. :greengrin

basehibby
20-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Been seeing a lot of comments that Scotland haven't made any progress under strachan. Including that the neither of the last two results constitute progress.

These are what you call clueless muppets - about a year ago we got humped 5-1 off the USA - on Fri we drew 0-0 - last night we managed to win a game we most likely would have comspired to lose under Levein after admittedly playing quite poorly. This is the sort of form that could at last get us to the final stages of another tournament - and the Sevconians are claiming there's no progress :confused: