PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Thomson and the linesman - 30 years ago today

Tom Hart RIP
19-11-2013, 08:55 AM
30 years ago today, Hibs beat St Johnstone 4-1 at Easter Road. Willie Irvine scored a hat trick and Arthur Duncan scored his last (114th) goal for us. The game is memorable for an incident which resulted in Bobby Thomson getting banned for 6 months. My memory is as follows but please feel free to correct me. St Johnstone got a corner at the Dunbar End, and the ball hit Arthur Duncan in the face and knocked him out. In those days, head injuries didn't merit stopping the game and play continued for a couple of minutes. Everyone had forgotten about Arthur, including our defence who for some reason decided to play the offside trap. John Brogan who later played for us noticed and when he got the ball, he was ten yards in front of the back four, but the unconscious Arthur was playing him onside. Brogan strolled through and scored easily. Bobby who had a legendry temper went mental and ran from the opposite side of the pitch, sidestepping team mates who tried to stop him reaching the poor linesman (who had got the decision correct.) Next thing, Bobby gave the linesman an almighty push and he ended up on the ground or possibly in the old enclosure. For some reason I was in the enclosure at the time and got a great view, and I still laugh when I think about this incident. Can't believe that it was 30 years ago though.

Suburban Hibby
19-11-2013, 09:09 AM
30 years ago- NNOOO way!!!

Was in the South that day, may well have been Hibs Kids day, remember it well- but 30 years?!?!?

Brizo
19-11-2013, 09:10 AM
I was in the old North enclosure that day. For some reason I thought he'd put the heid on the linesman but the way Bobby was wouldnt surprise me if that was a player he put the heid on during another game :greengrin.

Bobby was a stone radge , as they used to say, and from what I remember had a fair bit of skill along with that mental temper. I say from what I remember as I seemed to spend most of the early 80s p@hed at Hibs games. Happy days ... cheap drink, cheap admission and the drunken bammery of the enclosure.

DaveF
19-11-2013, 09:11 AM

Was in the South that day, may well have been Hibs Kids day, remember it well- but 30 years?!?!?

It must have been a hibs kids day as I was in the old South Upper that day, as a 14 year old! I can't really remember what sparked it all off but I was there to witness it.

30 years ago. Wow!

Sergey
19-11-2013, 09:20 AM
The OP has it pretty much spot on, but I remember the lino being pushed into the advertising hoardings in front of the away enclosure below the old stand. I think we were winning 4-0 at the time.

I had a season ticket that year in the old stand and I swear that's the fastest Thomson moved throughout his career.

I think I have the programme for the match somewhere.

hibIBZ
19-11-2013, 09:30 AM
It must have been a hibs kids day as I was in the old South Upper that day, as a 14 year old! I can't really remember what sparked it all off but I was there to witness it.

30 years ago. Wow!

couldn't of been the south upper. It didn't exist then. I remember it being built and in only 26

ELHibee
19-11-2013, 09:31 AM
The OP has it pretty much spot on, but I remember the lino being pushed into the advertising hoardings in front of the away enclosure below the old stand. I think we were winning 4-0 at the time.

I had a season ticket that year in the old stand and I swear that's the fastest Thomson moved throughout his career.

I think I have the programme for the match somewhere.

I remember this too although in my memory he was standing in the cener circle around the half way line. it was amazing!

Liberal Hibby
19-11-2013, 09:39 AM
couldn't of been the south upper. It didn't exist then. I remember it being built and in only 26

I think it did. The old main stand was divided into three sections - south, north and centre. The south and north sections had standing (then seated) enclosures at the front. I assume they were referred to as north/south lower with the main seated area as north/south upper. Don't think the centre stand had a lower section.

But as I stood on the terrace back then I'm not 100%.

Phil D. Rolls
19-11-2013, 09:40 AM

Possibly younger fans might confuse the standing South Enclosure with a lower tier to the stand?

Hiber-nation
19-11-2013, 09:46 AM
I was in the old North enclosure that day. For some reason I thought he'd put the heid on the linesman but the way Bobby was wouldnt surprise me if that was a player he put the heid on during another game :greengrin.

Bobby was a stone radge , as they used to say, and from what I remember had a fair bit of skill along with that mental temper. I say from what I remember as I seemed to spend most of the early 80s p@hed at Hibs games. Happy days ... cheap drink, cheap admission and the drunken bammery of the enclosure.

:thumbsup:

Happy days alright, North Enclosure was the place to be back in they days, ah, the banter!

cabbageandribs1875
19-11-2013, 09:47 AM
i'm sure Bobby Thomson's daughter plays for the Hibs ladies team

just thought i'd say likesy

Niffy
19-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Pat Stanton manager & JB assistant then if I mind right ?

Hiber-nation
19-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Pat Stanton manager & JB assistant then if I mind right ?

Yep. Crowd of 4,202....

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=24794

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Possibly younger fans might confuse the standing South Enclosure with a lower tier to the stand?

Quite correct FR, as stated by others it was indeed a Hibs Kids game.

hibIBZ
19-11-2013, 10:19 AM
My mistake. I remember hibs kids in the dunbar end. Forgot the old main stand was split into north, central and south

greenpaper55
19-11-2013, 10:27 AM
30 years ago ! that was quick, i was in the east at the time and saw him rush over to the linesman but could not see to clearly what had happened but we all knew he was going off. I seem to remember he was an accident waiting to happen and it's hard to imagine a player like that even getting into the senior game nowadays.

delbert
19-11-2013, 10:57 AM
30 years ago ! that was quick, i was in the east at the time and saw him rush over to the linesman but could not see to clearly what had happened but we all knew he was going off. I seem to remember he was an accident waiting to happen and it's hard to imagine a player like that even getting into the senior game nowadays.

The OP's memory is 100% correct on how it happened, was in the main stand that day sitting beside Gordon Rae, when the mayhem subsided and Bobby Thomson was taken aside, Gordon said to me, 'we will see what kind of referee we have today' As I was refereeing at that time in public park football but was injured, I was able to assure Gordon that Thomson was going off well before Louis Thow held up the red and sent him off. It will be interesting to see what the punishment dished out to the Dundee United guy in the next few weeks, as its a similar type of incident, basically an assault on an official. Bobby had all the skill in the world for a big guy, but he was always just teetering on the edge of chaos if things started to get a bit tasty.

Argylehibby
19-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Ach come on guys, Bobby slipped and his momentum took him into the linesman! :rolleyes:.

Peevemor
19-11-2013, 11:11 AM
I was in the old North stand so had a restricted view of what happened. I still remember the incident pretty clearly though.

HIBERNIAN-0762
19-11-2013, 11:13 AM
I had this on VHS tape, along with a host of other rare Hibs games but dumped it when the DVD was invented...what a silly boy :grr:

AFKA5814_Hibs
19-11-2013, 11:30 AM
My first game as a Hibs kid. I thought every game was going to be as exciting as that, how wrong was I. :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
19-11-2013, 11:49 AM
The OP's memory is 100% correct on how it happened, was in the main stand that day sitting beside Gordon Rae, when the mayhem subsided and Bobby Thomson was taken aside, Gordon said to me, 'we will see what kind of referee we have today' As I was refereeing at that time in public park football but was injured, I was able to assure Gordon that Thomson was going off well before Louis Thow held up the red and sent him off. It will be interesting to see what the punishment dished out to the Dundee United guy in the next few weeks, as its a similar type of incident, basically an assault on an official. Bobby had all the skill in the world for a big guy, but he was always just teetering on the edge of chaos if things started to get a bit tasty.

Celtic and Aberdeen used to intimidate officials in every match, surrounding them and jostling them. Bobby just took it a bit further.

Phil D. Rolls
19-11-2013, 11:53 AM
:thumbsup:

Happy days alright, North Enclosure was the place to be back in they days, ah, the banter!

There used to be a guy would shout "away back to your rat hole, ya West o Scotand Bssa" at every referee. He did this to Bob Valentine, and a voice at the back shouted, "aye, away back to yer rat hole ya West o Dundee Bssa".

Times were simpler, but much more fun.

monktonharp
19-11-2013, 12:03 PM
I had this on VHS tape, along with a host of other rare Hibs games but dumped it when the DVD was invented...what a silly boy :grr: I was a Beetamax man myself:wink: but Hibs kids 30 years ago? are you sure they had been invented then?

Kojock
19-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Ach come on guys, Bobby slipped and his momentum took him into the linesman! :rolleyes:.

That is exactly what he said in his defence. Funnily enough the SFA Beaks didn't believe him.

Hiber-nation
19-11-2013, 12:49 PM
I had this on VHS tape, along with a host of other rare Hibs games but dumped it when the DVD was invented...what a silly boy :grr:

I transferred most of mine to DVD, just had a look for that one but I don't think I ever had it. I've got some decent games from that era, 2-1 at hunbrox with Bomber Harris scoring the winner, 2-2 at Pittodrie with Roughie getting assaulted in injury time for their equaliser, a nice wee set up from Benny for Jukebox at home to Dumbarton, an 18 year old Kano scoring at home to Dundee....I only taped the games we won or drew though :greengrin

DaveF
19-11-2013, 01:03 PM
but Hibs kids 30 years ago? are you sure they had been invented then?

I'm certain it was a Hibs Kids game. Back then you could be a hibs kid until 15 or 16 years old. Pretty sure Hibs were one of the 1st clubs clubs to push the kids scheme, well before others got onto it.

BroxburnHibee
19-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Christ 30 years!

Remember thinking at the time 'someone stop him' as it was pretty clear what he had in mind. :greengrin

c31
19-11-2013, 01:30 PM
It was a Hibs Kids day, I had minor part in the group that help start the Hibs kids and I remember standing at the top of the white steps watching Bobby push the linesman thinking "what an impression to show the kids".
Tom O'Malley was instrumental in started the Hibs Kids and it has grown really well since then and with a lot of innovations within Scottish Football Hibs lead the way.

I also remember that when we started it it was free but Hibs got hit with a VAT bill for the seats used (even though the stadium was 2/3rds empty), that is how there is now a payment for joining which somehow this covers the VAT.

LioNeilMessi
19-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Yep. Crowd of 4,202....

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=24794

Wow really? Didn't realise the attendance figures were so poor back then.

ancient hibee
19-11-2013, 02:31 PM
It strengthened the team-he was hopeless-a goal every 5 games or so and a yellow card every 4.

RIP Bestie
19-11-2013, 02:46 PM
I loved Bobby Thompson. Made Willie Irvine in my opinion. Had it not been for the ridiculous 6 month ban handed to Bobby, I'm sure Willie would have scored a lot more than the impressive total he did for Hibs.

hibby13
19-11-2013, 03:28 PM
I remember he ran up to the linesman and grabbed him by the throat with both hands!

allezsauzee
19-11-2013, 03:35 PM
I remember he ran up to the linesman and grabbed him by the throat with both hands!
I wasn't at the game but I'm sure the linesman deserved it!

HIBERNIAN-0762
19-11-2013, 03:51 PM
I transferred most of mine to DVD, just had a look for that one but I don't think I ever had it. I've got some decent games from that era, 2-1 at hunbrox with Bomber Harris scoring the winner, 2-2 at Pittodrie with Roughie getting assaulted in injury time for their equaliser, a nice wee set up from Benny for Jukebox at home to Dumbarton, an 18 year old Kano scoring at home to Dundee....I only taped the games we won or drew though :greengrin

haha! me as well, had dozens of them as well and I remember the ones you mention.

The Godfather
19-11-2013, 04:00 PM
30 years ago today, Hibs beat St Johnstone 4-1 at Easter Road. Willie Irvine scored a hat trick and Arthur Duncan scored his last (114th) goal for us. The game is memorable for an incident which resulted in Bobby Thomson getting banned for 6 months. My memory is as follows but please feel free to correct me. St Johnstone got a corner at the Dunbar End, and the ball hit Arthur Duncan in the face and knocked him out. In those days, head injuries didn't merit stopping the game and play continued for a couple of minutes. Everyone had forgotten about Arthur, including our defence who for some reason decided to play the offside trap. John Brogan who later played for us noticed and when he got the ball, he was ten yards in front of the back four, but the unconscious Arthur was playing him onside. Brogan strolled through and scored easily. Bobby who had a legendry temper went mental and ran from the opposite side of the pitch, sidestepping team mates who tried to stop him reaching the poor linesman (who had got the decision correct.) Next thing, Bobby gave the linesman an almighty push and he ended up on the ground or possibly in the old enclosure. For some reason I was in the enclosure at the time and got a great view, and I still laugh when I think about this incident. Can't believe that it was 30 years ago though.

Wow thanks for that post, as that was my first EVER Hibs game. I can't believe that 30 years later and I still get goosebumps when I go to the games.

Jonnyboy
19-11-2013, 04:01 PM

I'd say that's pretty much what happened and I congratulate you on such a feat of memory :aok:

greenginger
19-11-2013, 04:11 PM
I think our Bobby had previous though.

When he was still with Morton and playing Celtic at Parkhead, the Ref allowed an outrageous goal when a Celtic player came back on to the pitch from behind the goal line to tap the ball into the net after a shot had hit the post.

Thompson had the ref by the throat for about five minutes. :greengrin

Jonnyboy
19-11-2013, 04:16 PM
I think our Bobby had previous though.

When he was still with Morton and playing Celtic at Parkhead, the Ref allowed an outrageous goal when a Celtic player came back on to the pitch from behind the goal line to tap the ball into the net after a shot had hit the post.

Thompson had the ref by the throat for about five minutes. :greengrin

He was a bit, well volatile :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
19-11-2013, 05:27 PM
He was a bit, well volatile :greengrin

Volatile as a hatter. :agree:

greenlex
19-11-2013, 06:25 PM

Can't believe it either!!!!!

scm70nyd1973
20-11-2013, 09:28 AM

Yup - post is just about bang on - I remember it very well as it was my 21st birthday that very day ! Got a birthday wish on the old electronic scoreboard - present from Fiery Jack AKA Jake the Hibby. Still got the pics from the day - unfortunately not of the said indiscretion - young and daft at the time so thought it was hilarious - old git now and I still find it hilarious !