PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay for a player to refuse to sign an autograph?

Swedish hibee
17-11-2013, 08:22 PM
I'm wondering what everyone thinks about this- In the departure lounge last week McPake refused signing for a Hibs fan (not me!). Is this normal? I've been away for home a while now, so I'm unsure if you can approach players in their 'own time'.

dp00
17-11-2013, 08:53 PM
I'm wondering what everyone thinks about this- In the departure lounge last week McPake refused signing for a Hibs fan (not me!). Is this normal? I've been away for home a while now, so I'm unsure if you can approach players in their 'own time'.

Sorry but I very much doubt this happened however given the abuse he has took recently he would prob be entitled too

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Swedish hibee
17-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Sorry but I very much doubt this happened however given the abuse he has took recently he would prob be entitled too

It did happen. I was watching and was a tad shocked, hence why I asked if this is normal? And as for abuse, no-one abused him, far from it infact the worker he refused was pretty much the only one who noticed him & Mcgivern (who was pleasant enough).

Callum_62
17-11-2013, 09:16 PM
He is human - hes allowed to say no

jamieross
17-11-2013, 09:32 PM

Did the fan asking for the autograph personally abuse him? Could be the only reason i would think he'd say no.

Baldy Foghorn
17-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Did the fan asking for the autograph personally abuse him? Could be the only reason i would think he'd say no.

How would that work then?

Fan "James, I think you are murder, and should call it a day, but could you please give me your autograph?":greengrin

3pm
17-11-2013, 10:54 PM
I'm not surprised.

It's a completely different McPake to the one who joined almost 2 years ago. I don't think he has the same level of affection for Hibs as he did when he joined / had at the beginning of last season.

Just my opinion!

Dashing Bob S
17-11-2013, 11:03 PM
I'm not surprised.

It's a completely different McPake to the one who joined almost 2 years ago. I don't think he has the same level of affection for Hibs as he did when he joined / had at the beginning of last season.

Just my opinion!

Him and around 16,000 others who were at the Malmo game.

jamieross
18-11-2013, 05:00 AM
How would that work then?

Fan "James, I think you are murder, and should call it a day, but could you please give me your autograph?":greengrin

Thats my point. Unless the fan in question gave James abuse, I cant see why he wouldnt sign an autograph because of abusive fans. :confused:

Phil D. Rolls
18-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Eddie Turnbull was a true gentleman, and only ever told fans to **** off, when he met them. Changed days with these modern players and their Twitter accounts, and Dr Dre headphones, they should have a hard look at themselves.

aunty joyce
18-11-2013, 10:35 AM
It did happen. I was watching and was a tad shocked, hence why I asked if this is normal? And as for abuse, no-one abused him, far from it infact the worker he refused was pretty much the only one who noticed him & Mcgivern (who was pleasant enough).

IMO the 'Worker' should not have asked for an autograph in the first place and I am sure it would be against his employers guidelines.

My nieces have had many an autograph & photograph taken with James and he has always done so freely making them feel very special - perhaps it was more to do with the fact that this person took advantage of his position?!?

I know in my work you could face disciplinary action for such a thing!

DAVE1875
18-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Was it this chap who asked for an autograph?

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/uploads/monthly_10_2013/post-22047-0-35448100-1383249750_thumb.jpg

:tee hee:

Geo_1875
18-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Were the toilets busy?

flash
18-11-2013, 11:24 AM

Ah the old "gratuitous dig disguised as an innocent question" routine.

Textbook.

silverhibee
18-11-2013, 11:55 AM

Was this at Edinburgh airport.?

I would say most players would give a autograph/photo if they were asked, no matter what time of day or night it was, but i am pretty sure they would still be pissed off if say they were having a meal, out for a quiet drink with the missus, there is a time and place and most folk no that, but there is a few who just don't care and ask anyway.

I once was at darkheid and seen Evander Sno walk out the ground and he just totally blanked the fans asking for autograpth's and he just walked to his car and got inside, the next thing you no his car was surrounded by baying celtc fans banging on his car and giving dogs abuse to him, a few stewards moved in and Sno got out the car and stood for ages signing his autograpth to every fan that wanted it, was very funny so it was, he was there for ages. :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
18-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Of course it's OK, they are entitled to their privacy.

silverhibee
18-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Thats my point. Unless the fan in question gave James abuse, I cant see why he wouldnt sign an autograph because of abusive fans. :confused:

The OP has also said that it was a worker i presume at the airport so not much chance he would be dishing out abuse to McPake going through the airport.

GordonHFC
18-11-2013, 12:20 PM
I once got pushed out of the way by some member of the hun backroom staff when I asked for Derek Parlane's autograph as he was being carried out of Easter Road on a stretcher. Couldn't see what the problem was :greengrin

Dinkydoo
18-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Is it okay?

Depends. If it was only one autograph and it was a child asking then I think refusing would be a bit harsh.

It's McPake's decision at the end of the day but being club captain you'd expect him to sign the one autograph whilst sitting in the departure lounge. It's a little bit different from being interupted whilst having a meal.

brian6-2
18-11-2013, 12:26 PM
i stood in the freezing cold for 4 hours before the raith v bayern game at er as a fresh faced youngster and when the bayern bus arrived they signed every aurograph on the way in exept me who was waiting right at the door and had been waiting the longest haha!! was gutted. hated bayern every since.

funny looking back at it now though.

Robinho08
18-11-2013, 12:29 PM

McPake took a lot of abuse from socalled Hibs fans on Twitter, after the derby!

Pretty Boy
18-11-2013, 12:38 PM
It takes about 3 seconds to scribble on a piece of paper so pretty poor to refuse if the stories true.

There's obviously exceptions ie if a player is out for a meal with family etc.

Saorsa
18-11-2013, 12:48 PM
The way some of them have played lately they should be lucky anyone still wants their autographs :agree: :greengrin

Thecat23
18-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Maybe he was late for the flight and stopping to sign something would make other folk notice who he was and get held up even longer? Could be many reasons for him refusing to be fair.

But I also think sometimes they should remember that people look up to them and it really only takes 10 seconds to do.

lucky
18-11-2013, 01:11 PM
FFS there really is no excuse in the circumstances described. He is meant to be club captain and ambassador for our club

lord bunberry
18-11-2013, 01:16 PM
i stood in the freezing cold for 4 hours before the raith v bayern game at er as a fresh faced youngster and when the bayern bus arrived they signed every aurograph on the way in exept me who was waiting right at the door and had been waiting the longest haha!! was gutted. hated bayern every since.

funny looking back at it now though.

Did eminem right that song about you?

scuttle
18-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Maybe he thought it was one of those yam characters tring to be smart getting him to sign something with 5-1 on it,you never know

flash
18-11-2013, 01:22 PM
FFS there really is no excuse in the circumstances described. He is meant to be club captain and ambassador for our club

I can't see any circumstances described above. The original post was dressed up as a genuine enquiry as to etiquette so fail to see why the player concerned had to be named.

Betty Boop
18-11-2013, 01:24 PM

Exactly ! :agree:

Monts

Nah, it wasn't blistering cold, just freezing :greengrin:

brian6-2

i actually wrote it and sold him the lyrics.

Hibercelona
I can understand in certain situtations, like if loads of people are asking for his autograph at once and he's in a hurry to get somewhere.

But sitting down doing relatively nothing and refusing to sign one Hibs fans autograph is pretty poor IMO.

Monts
18-11-2013, 01:26 PM
How does the op know it was a genuine Hibs fan? If they were working it's not as if they have had a Hibs top on.

flash
18-11-2013, 01:27 PM
More to the point why does someone of working age want an autograph?

Hibercelona
18-11-2013, 01:29 PM
How does the op know it was a genuine Hibs fan? If they were working it's not as if they have had a Hibs top on.

Surely it shouldn't really matter.

It's not that uncommon for fans of other clubs to request autographs. You can still admire/respect a player, even if they don't play for your club.

Monts
18-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Surely it shouldn't really matter.

It's not that uncommon for fans of other clubs to request autographs. You can still admire/respect a player, even if they don't play for your club.

A yam on the windup?

silverhibee
18-11-2013, 01:35 PM

Could be for there son/daughter.

truehibernian
18-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Could be loads of reasons but if any player 'refuses' an autograph then really they need to have a look in the mirror (unless the player has been verbally abused etc) - here for a good time not a long time and football careers are short - any player should grasp the attention while it's going in my opinion as it won't be too long that folk would say 'oh aye, McPake.....he was an alright player......wonder what he's doing now'.

I remember being in Aberdeen as a youth visiting family and I was told where wee Gordon stayed - really nice house near Bon Accord street for those that know the area. The 1982 world cup final was on that night (WGS had actually played in the group stages).

I very cheekily knocked on his door with a mate and he invited us both in, signed a couple of autographs for me and my mate, and we were allowed to watch a bit of the game with him in his living room. Through family I had met a few of Fergie's Aberdeen team and I have to say that Eric Black and Gordon were absolute gentlemen and just lovely lovely people. Alex Ferguson and Archie Knox themselves were great banter (met them many years later). Eric got me a football signed by all the Cup Winners Cup team, and even went to the bother of varnishing the signatures so they wouldn't rub off - then the ball got bloody knicked from a garden because muggins here had left it lying around around whilst bragging about it !! :rolleyes: if only Ebay (and the ball) had been around back then eh !!!

My sadly departed uncle would confirm however that Joe Harper was a **** though :aok::greengrin

TRC
18-11-2013, 02:07 PM
did the 'fan' have a bit of paper or did he ask for it somewhere else :wink:

Wilson
18-11-2013, 02:36 PM
There are plenty of official opportunities to meet players and get autographs. Bothering them outside of these runs the risk of refusal. Polite request politely declined. No bother. Get over it.

Scouse Hibee
18-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Yes or course it is!

patch1875
18-11-2013, 03:44 PM

Exactly:agree:

RIP Bestie
18-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Utter disgrace. Another reason why he should do one.
Not good enough for us on or off the park obviously. In my opinion.

JimBHibees
18-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Utter disgrace. Another reason why he should do one.
Not good enough for us on or off the park obviously. In my opinion.

You actually believe the yam wind up. :confused::greengrin

brian6-2
18-11-2013, 03:57 PM
You actually believe the yam wind up. :confused::greengrin

do you ever tire of accusing folk of being jambo's?

JimBHibees
18-11-2013, 04:05 PM
do you ever tire of accusing folk of being jambo's?

No. LTYF. :lolyam: :greengrin

brian6-2
18-11-2013, 04:08 PM
No. LTYF. :lolyam: :greengrin

folk will start to think your one eventually :wink:

weonlywon6-2
18-11-2013, 04:10 PM

I would say most players would give a autograph/photo if they were asked, no matter what time of day or night it was, but i am pretty sure they would still be pissed off if say they were having a meal, out for a quiet drink with the missus, there is a time and place and most folk no that, but there is a few who just don't care and ask anyway.

I once was at darkheid and seen Evander Sno walk out the ground and he just totally blanked the fans asking for autograpth's and he just walked to his car and got inside, the next thing you no his car was surrounded by baying celtc fans banging on his car and giving dogs abuse to him, a few stewards moved in and Sno got out the car and stood for ages signing his autograpth to every fan that wanted it, was very funny so it was, he was there for ages. :greengrin

Surprised they wanted his autograph after that,then again ,most celtic supporters are a card short of a full hand anyway

JimBHibees
18-11-2013, 04:18 PM
folk will start to think your one eventually :wink:

Not me, maybe you though. :greengrin

Onceinawhile
18-11-2013, 04:22 PM
I heard that he did sign the autograph, but when he went to pass it back he missed the person by about 5 metres.

hibees 7062
18-11-2013, 04:28 PM

:agree:

Scouse Hibee
18-11-2013, 04:29 PM
I heard that he did sign the autograph, but when he went to pass it back he missed the person by about 5 metres.

And then gave a pen away.

weonlywon6-2
18-11-2013, 04:34 PM

Surprised they wanted his autograph after that,then again ,most celtic supporters are a card short of a full hand anyway

.Sean.
18-11-2013, 05:45 PM
If it's a Hibs fan who was genuinely pleasant and he's turned him/ her down it's bang out of order. Between this (IF it's true) and offering supporters square go's on the stadium car park it's pretty shameful behaviour from the club captain.

ronaldo7
18-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Garry O still posing for photo's with young fans. He was in Luca's having lunch with his family on Saturday. A couple of youngsters asked for him to get a photo taken. No problems.

Made their day.:aok:

Well done Gaz.

hibee_nation
18-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Hanging's too good for him. :grr::fuming::shocked::bsod:

yekimevol
18-11-2013, 06:22 PM

If he gives one he would need to sign everyones, you dont know what was happening at the time either. I feel that james gets a raw deal on here most of the time tbh.

Looking forward to seeing what butchers can do with the whole team, could be the begging of something great !!
To quote the new gaffer "Yesterday’s training was intense, sharp and fierce at times. James McPake was loving it, he was diving into tackles left, right and centre, and it was good"

Keith_M
18-11-2013, 06:34 PM
I think it is fair. They're human beings and deserve some time off.

RIP Bestie
18-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Hanging's too good for him. :grr::fuming::shocked::bsod:
No arguments here!!

NAE NOOKIE
18-11-2013, 06:41 PM
Its a tough one. From McPake's point of view it can no doubt get a bit annoying being mobbed in the street by fanatical supporters every time he leaves the house ... his hand must get fair sair with writers cramp.

Pretty Boy
18-11-2013, 06:47 PM
If he gives one he would need to sign everyones, you dont know what was happening at the time either. I feel that james gets a raw deal on here most of the time tbh.

Looking forward to seeing what butchers can do with the whole team, could be the begging of something great !!
To quote the new gaffer "Yesterday’s training was intense, sharp and fierce at times. James McPake was loving it, he was diving into tackles left, right and centre, and it was good"

I'm hoping Butcher will teach McPake how to defend with a bit less diving in.

Sir David Gray
18-11-2013, 06:53 PM

:tee hee:

I'll bet he also had his little brother with him that night who saw the Bayern Munich players as idols and wanted to be just like them.

Wotherspiniesta
18-11-2013, 07:04 PM
No arguments here!!

The thing is, after your previous post, people will actually think you're being serious...

yeezus.
18-11-2013, 07:06 PM
I can understand in certain situtations, like if loads of people are asking for his autograph at once and he's in a hurry to get somewhere.

But sitting down doing relatively nothing and refusing to sign one Hibs fans autograph is pretty poor IMO.

I agree, it strikes me as a bit rude to be honest.

B.H.F.C
18-11-2013, 07:21 PM

Yep, diving in got him a red card in his last game.

FranckSuzy
18-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Since no-one knows what was actually said, maybe, just, maybe, the 'fan' said something rude to James, hence his refusal? :dunno:

Saorsa
18-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Since no-one knows what was actually said, maybe, just, maybe, the 'fan' said something rude to James, hence his refusal? :dunno:Would you say something rude tae somebody then in the same breath say but can I have your autograph anyway? :dunno: Sorry I just cannae see that TBH.

'excuse me ya useless ****, can I please have yer autograph? Ta.' :greengrin

FranckSuzy
18-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Would you say something rude tae somebody then in the same breath say but can I have your autograph anyway? :dunno: Sorry I just cannae see that TBH.

'excuse me ya useless ****, can I please have yer autograph? Ta.' :greengrin

There's nowt as queer as folk, as they say :greengrin Naw, but maybe the person thought they were being funny and said something wide, like "dinnae drop the pen" or "hope you don't miss the paper." :tee hee:

Swedish hibee
18-11-2013, 07:44 PM
Crikey.. What have I started :confused: I posted this on another small thread- I didn't want it to get it's own thread. I don't live in Edinburgh anymore and just wondered if this was the norm now, and tbh I was gonna wish them well for their Ireland game but was a bit worried if I should approach them. Now I know, never approach. Thanks for the feedback.

RIP Bestie
18-11-2013, 08:28 PM
The thing is, after your previous post, people will actually think you're being serious...
:gun:Who says I'm not?

hihohibby
18-11-2013, 08:33 PM
Hmmm. Something very uneasy about this whole thread.:hmmm:

DH1875
18-11-2013, 08:38 PM
I met a previous Hibs captain in Dobbies once. Asked for a photo with him and was told to bolt. Didn't feel nice at all at the time. Think it depends on the time and the place. If he'd been out at diner with the Mrs or somewhere with the kids I wouldn't have asked but he was on his own in the middle of the afternoon with hardly anyone about. Same goes for the airport, who's to say it wasn't a Northern Ireland fan who asked McPake. He was on international duty was he not? If I were a football player, the airport is one of the places I'd expect to be asked for a photo opp or autograph :confused:.

RIP Bestie
18-11-2013, 08:49 PM
Thought Butcher only signed a 3 year deal!!

Viva_Palmeiras
18-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Maybe it was a Dennis Pennis dude "Jim - Jim! Is that really you I'm a big fan of your work you must have felt vindicated choosing St Mirren over Hibs winning a cup and that other guy they signed has had a really bumpy ride...!"

Itsnoteasy
19-11-2013, 12:16 AM
I'm not surprised.

Just my opinion!

Spot on. Who would want his signature these days

Speedway
19-11-2013, 12:50 AM
Spot on. Who would want his signature these days

Since the scenario is fictitious, so to I'd McPake's refusal or in other words McPaje didn't refuse because it never happened. McPake flew out if Prestwick being as it is, nearer to where he lives.

Problem solved.

SaulGoodman
19-11-2013, 09:20 AM
I had the same experience, asked Mcpake for an autograph and he completely ignored me but asked the guy next to him what time the Chelsea game started at!

Viva_Palmeiras
19-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Since the scenario is fictitious, so to I'd McPake's refusal or in other words McPaje didn't refuse because it never happened. McPake flew out if Prestwick being as it is, nearer to where he lives.

Problem solved.

Can we have a burn the witch smiley for the OP?

Sherlock Jones
19-11-2013, 09:33 AM
I spent a couple of hours in James McPake's company last year. He signed my autograph book 37 separate times and I had only asked him the once.

basehibby
19-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Whether the OP is true or not - on the face of it we all have the right to refuse to sign autographs - unless of course at an event specifically for that purpose.

That said I'd say it was pretty bad form if our captain was acting in this way - totally out of character from what I know of McPake - although at least it would show he was hurting after losing to the Yams and the manager walking.

Pat 0-7
19-11-2013, 09:50 AM
It only takes a few seconds for any player, especially when he's 'on duty' for club or country, to sign an autograph for one person - not much excuse not to, in my opinion...........

I was in Smyths toy shop in Falkirk a few weeks ago and Liam Craig passed us in one of the aisles with his wee boy - he was happy to pose for a photo with my kids, it was no problem.......:aok:

hibbymac
19-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Crikey.. What have I started :confused: I posted this on another small thread- I didn't want it to get it's own thread. I don't live in Edinburgh anymore and just wondered if this was the norm now, and tbh I was gonna wish them well for their Ireland game but was a bit worried if I should approach them. Now I know, never approach. Thanks for the feedback.

:confused: Then why did you start one ? :dunno:

JimBHibees
19-11-2013, 10:20 AM

Problem solved.

Oh right so completely made up to try and discredit the Hibs captain. Crack on yams trolls. Crawling all over this thread IMO.

Viva_Palmeiras
19-11-2013, 10:34 AM
:confused: Then why did you start one ? :dunno:

I think it was moved from another thread by admins...

Viva_Palmeiras
19-11-2013, 10:37 AM
I can hardly imagine our captain dismissing a fan out of hand without an explaination - maybe neither of them had pens?

Beefster
19-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Whether it's true or not, it seems like a fair opportunity to give our club captain another kicking.

JimBHibees
19-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Whether it's true or not, it seems like a another opportunity to give our club captain another kicking.

Been happening too much recently. Give the guy a break and who knows he may show what he is capable under a new management team. At his best he is an inspirational captain and leader, we need him to get back to that, constantly slating him or making up things isnt going to help.

Viva_Palmeiras
19-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Been happening too much recently. Give the guy a break and who knows he may show what he is capable under a new management team. At his best he is an inspirational captain and leader, we need him to get back to that, constantly slating him or making up things isnt going to help.

If Terry is backing anyone we need to also back them IMO. Id even like Terry to throw down the gauntlet - if you have a problem with ANY of my players come and see ME about it.

I also think that folks that continue to bleat about the PAST - "well Terry's obvious not seeing what I've seen" they need to change the record and get with the programme the FUTURE at Hibernian FC.

We've been in the mode for too long - understandable given events but now as Freddie sang we've "got to break free"... Or was it Jim singing "break on through to the other side?"

hibbymac
19-11-2013, 11:21 AM
I think it was moved from another thread by admins...

Ahh :aok: apologies OP

silverhibee
19-11-2013, 11:39 AM

Problem solved.

It was defo Edinburgh airport. FACT

Leishy1995
19-11-2013, 11:55 AM
It was defo Edinburgh airport. FACT

Strangely, Leigh Griffiths was there and said and I quote "could have had me in January but chose to loan in Tom Soares instead" FACT

silverhibee
19-11-2013, 12:04 PM
Strangely, Leigh Griffiths was there and said and I quote "could have had me in January but chose to loan in Tom Soares instead" FACT

Was this in Prestwick or Edinburgh airport. :aok: :confused:

Leishy1995
19-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Was this in Prestwick or Edinburgh airport. :aok: :confused:

Can't confirm that. My source is out for a Big Mac at the moment

RIP Bestie
19-11-2013, 03:58 PM
You're making that up.

JimBHibees
19-11-2013, 04:34 PM
You're making that up.

Not at all McPake has proven he can be an excellent player for Hibs and if he could get back to the form of a year or so ago could still do a job. I can remember when Mowbray came in and indicated he had loads of faith in GOC and alot of Hibs fans doubted however he got him playing out of his skin very soon after.

Wilson
19-11-2013, 05:11 PM
I had the same experience, asked Mcpake for an autograph and he completely ignored me but asked the guy next to him what time the Chelsea game started at!

And what time did it start?

Jonnyboy
19-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Long time ago when I was quite a young lad I idolised Colin Stein and thought he was the bees knees. One Saturday afternoon when the first team was away from home I followed my usual routine and went to watch the reserves at Easter Road. As I stood in the old North Enclosure I admired the skill and goalscoring prowess of one Stan Vincent. The reserves scored four that day and Stan got three of them. At full time in those days, in reserve fixtures, it was the norm for youngsters to run onto the park to get autographs. I made a beeline for Stan and politely asked him for his autograph. Now Stan was obviously feeling good about himself and rightly so. He must have decided to have a bit of fun and asked me "Who's the best centre forward in Scotland son?" As he stood, pen poised, I answered ................ "Colin Stein"

Got my pen and paper handed back to me, unsigned

Took me a long time to figure out why

:greengrin

silverhibee
19-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Not at all McPake has proven he can be an excellent player for Hibs and if he could get back to the form of a year or so ago could still do a job. I can remember when Mowbray came in and indicated he had loads of faith in GOC and alot of Hibs fans doubted however he got him playing out of his skin very soon after.

McPake broke his back, it is still causing him all sorts of problems and is in and out the team due to this, would be hoping the manager knows this and is either willing to give the young lad Foster a chance or bring in a new CH in January.

silverhibee
19-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Can't confirm that. My source is out for a Big Mac at the moment

Did chubby get lost or still stuffing his/her face in McDs.

Diclonius
19-11-2013, 05:51 PM

He's never been the same ever since Rangers declared their interest.

hibsbollah
19-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Prior to the cup final McPake happily signed my young daughters flag and chatted away for ages. She still goes on about it now.

JimBHibees
20-11-2013, 09:54 AM
McPake broke his back, it is still causing him all sorts of problems and is in and out the team due to this, would be hoping the manager knows this and is either willing to give the young lad Foster a chance or bring in a new CH in January.

I appreciate he has had injuries indeed his serious back injury was prior to joining Hibs. He may struggle to get back to where he was when he first joined us but maybe not. Just think a few too many people putting the boot in for some reason.

silverhibee
20-11-2013, 11:53 AM
I appreciate he has had injuries indeed his serious back injury was prior to joining Hibs. He may struggle to get back to where he was when he first joined us but maybe not. Just think a few too many people putting the boot in for some reason.

Does he not have to play so many games this season to trigger a extra year on to his contract, i will be amazed if he reaches the target this season, Butcher seems to like playing the same starting 11 each week and putting his trust in that 11, can't see McPake being in that 11 due to him being in and out of the team due to injuries from his back, TB will want a settled back 4 who are going to be playing every week, and also, just my opinion, i don't really rate McPake as a player on the games i have seen him play in, and that's most of them. :greengrin

hibsmad
20-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Prior to the cup final McPake happily signed my young daughters flag and chatted away for ages. She still goes on about it now.

McPake has always come across as a good guy to me.

If I was the op and witnessed this, unless I knew what was said and the circumstances surrounding it, then I would not have started a thread that paints McPake in a bad light.

I would be more inclined to give our player the benefit of the doubt.

lucky
20-11-2013, 12:07 PM
McPakes problem is as fans we believed we were getting a great captain and CH that would help drive the club forward. Sadly for him and us his first season has turned out to be his best. Expectation of him was higher than his ability

JimBHibees
21-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Does he not have to play so many games this season to trigger a extra year on to his contract, i will be amazed if he reaches the target this season, Butcher seems to like playing the same starting 11 each week and putting his trust in that 11, can't see McPake being in that 11 due to him being in and out of the team due to injuries from his back, TB will want a settled back 4 who are going to be playing every week, and also, just my opinion, i don't really rate McPake as a player on the games i have seen him play in, and that's most of them. :greengrin

Personally have no idea what his contractual situation is. Dont disagree with alot of that to be honest and personally I hope the new manager does want to play a settled back 4. I just think that some players play out of their skin for a new manager. Woulndt be surprised if Butcher is thinking of ICT guys like Josh Meakings who looks a solid and athletic centre back who would improve us.

JimBHibees
21-11-2013, 01:07 PM
McPake has always come across as a good guy to me.

If I was the op and witnessed this, unless I knew what was said and the circumstances surrounding it, then I would not have started a thread that paints McPake in a bad light.

I would be more inclined to give our player the benefit of the doubt.

Totally spot on. Unless I had directly witnessed or had been the person involved only then would it be appropriate to comment IMO.

Nakedmanoncrack
22-11-2013, 10:36 PM
I remember as a boy waiting outside the old entrance at Easter Road to get Jock Stein's autograph, when he was Scotland manager. He emerged to gruffly announce - sorry he was in a hurry and didn't have time, before rushing away. This of course was almost certainly true, but I remember being very disappointed at the time, all the Hibs players & managers, and everyone else of note including the likes of Alex Ferguson and later Graeme Souness etc would willingly sign.