PDA

View Full Version : Are football video games a good guide to your actual knowledge of football?

Hibbyradge
18-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Discuss...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=424400804354645&set=vb.297543326964983&type=2&theater

Sorry, I can't find a non Facebook copy.

brian6-2
18-11-2013, 09:10 AM
Discuss...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=424400804354645&set=vb.297543326964983&type=2&theater

Football Manager - Yes 100%

I would say the likes of fifa and PES would let you gain some knowledge but not as much as FM.

frazeHFC
18-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Football manager. So many teams from all over the world I would have no reason to have heard of, but I have. Also a lot of players I first heard of on there. Loads of players now, like Santon (Newcastle), Sanogo (Arsenal) amongst hundreds more I first heard of there.

Not saying my 'knowledge' is better as such, just that I have heard of so many more.

Bostonhibby
18-11-2013, 09:53 AM
Nope, I regularly win at monopoly but have had no success as a landlord or property developer when it involves my own money :-(

JollyGreenGiant
18-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Games like Fifa are still great for developing basic football knowledge in kids.

At 4 year old my son new the offside rule, the different positions, the top European team and with the graphics the way they are now it also helped him recognise the top European players.

Scouse Hibee
18-11-2013, 10:05 AM
No, and considereing the differing opinions offered on here after every game, I often wonder if any of us have any actual knowledge of the game at all. :greengrin

stu in nottingham
18-11-2013, 10:07 AM
I haven't played a football video game for around ten years but nevertheless I did consider an application for the manager's job at Hibs before Butcher and Malpas were appointed.

It's only the lack of an assistant that held me back really.

hibsbollah
18-11-2013, 10:14 AM
No, and considereing the differing opinions offered on here after every game, I often wonder if any of us have any actual knowledge of the game at all. :greengrin

:agree:
True Knowledge comes from acknowledging the stuff you don't know. It sometimes amazes me how conceited we are to think we know better than managers who work with players three times a week, see them in training and see how tactics and formations work in practice far more closely and far more often than fans do.
(note: I reserve the right to flay Malpas/Butcher alive on here for using a formation I dont like, but I never said I wasnt a hypocrite).

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Dont think theres any conceit involved, only folk expressing their opinions, wouldnae be much of a forum otherwise.

worcesterhibby
18-11-2013, 01:22 PM
I used to play Fifa quite a bit a few years ago. In one match against Barcelona Hibs won 7-0 and Jarko Wiss scored four of them…two from outside the box with wonder-strikes. I'm not sure that taught me a huge amount about real football.

Fergus52
18-11-2013, 09:00 PM
Fifa and pes can help give younger kids a grasp of football, but that's about it I'd say.

FM definitely improves knowledge of teams and players across the globe.

Jonnyboy
18-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Discuss...

I think you need to define what you meant by "a good guide to your actual knowledge of football" D

I've never played FM or any of the others so personally I don't know is my answer :greengrin but expanding knowledge of teams and players, previously unheard of, doesn't really answer the question in a way I'm sure you intended

Stax
18-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Games like Fifa are still great for developing basic football knowledge in kids.

At 4 year old my son new the offside rule, the different positions, the top European team and with the graphics the way they are now it also helped him recognise the top European players.
Agree with this, can't see how it can't help to teach kids positional sense / when to make runs etc, my 10 yr old laddie plays FIFA 14 and I see him trying moves for his school & boys club I've watched him do on FIFA

green.and.white
18-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Back in 2008 Everton signed a deal with the creators of football manager to get access to their full database so they could have a look at the potential of young players etc. Not sure how well it has worked so far mind you but an interesting move nonetheless.

When i was a bit younger, FIFA and FM were great ways to widen my knowledge of players :agree:

As for the video in the OP :thumbsup:

The_Exile
18-11-2013, 11:07 PM
Pretty sure Ibrahim Bakayoko was signed for Everton on the strength of the scouting report which was prepared for Champ Manager, although he was signed from Montpellier so not a complete unknown. For whatever reason it didnt work out for him there but he went on to play over 100 times for Marseille and IIRC had an absolutely superb record for the Ivory Coast, something like 30 odd goals in 40 something caps.

nonshinyfinish
18-11-2013, 11:16 PM
It was when watching the flashing green and white text telling me that Bobby Petta (got him plus £2.4m for Brebner, great bit of business) had slotted what turned out to be the winner for Hibs against Celtc (yes, Brebner's Celtc, GIRUY) that I first thought, I've taken this sport as far as it can go.

Since then, only Barca 2009-11 have come close.

Did I ever tell you about how I discovered Juan Riquelme on Champ Man back in the day? I did? Oh.

lyonhibs
19-11-2013, 07:47 AM
It was when watching the flashing green and white text telling me that Bobby Petta (got him plus £2.4m for Brebner, great bit of business) had slotted what turned out to be the winner for Hibs against Celtc (yes, Brebner's Celtc, GIRUY) that I first thought, I've taken this sport as far as it can go.

Since then, only Barca 2009-11 have come close.

Did I ever tell you about how I discovered Juan Riquelme on Champ Man back in the day? I did? Oh.

Mind I had Bobby Petta + AN Other on the wings and they were just absurd assist machines. Went West Ham and got an ageing Christian Vieri for diddly squat. He scored 20 goals that season and - whilst conducting the all important end of season review by re-reading a selection of the match texts - it appears Vieri ran a total of 20 yards that whole season, 1 yard a time to get on the end of a Bobby Petta cross.

Happy days.

BH Hibs
19-11-2013, 08:29 AM
No substitute for going out and watching football at whatever level imho.

higgy0418
19-11-2013, 08:43 AM
I used to play FIFA at a high level competitively (it can happen). Without a doubt I read the game a lot better than most people. When I'm playing 5s my mates always comment on how well I read the game and see what other people are doing so early. However, my mates also comment on how slow I am and how my head works faster than my legs so it doesn't always work out. Looking back, definitely has something to do with all the hours playing FIFA instead of being outside playing

Future17
19-11-2013, 12:39 PM
The amount of scouting/reseach which goes into these games, particularly FM, is incredible.

There is an online forum which has been going for many years which is dedicated to keeping the database up-to-date for Championship Manager 2001/02. You can legally download the game and updates for free, enabling you to start a career in the present day. The forum relies on members to provide transfer updates and scouting from around the world and is a remarkable labour of love.

I've probably been using their updates for about 5 years now and a lot of the players which rose to prominence while playing the game 5 years ago, have done so in real life during the past 5 years. Of course, there are exceptions to that, but that also happens in real life...Freddy Adu anyone?