PDA

View Full Version : What would you have them doing?

andrew70
18-11-2013, 09:06 AM
So Monday morning at the Training Centre and Butcher and Malpas’ first proper training session with players. What would you have them doing? I’d be implementing double training sessions most days.

10-12 I’d have them doing fitness work, push ups, sit ups etc, sprints and endurance training.

2 – 4 working on football drills and positional work.

FWIW I think the players will enjoy a stricter regime under Butcher and Co. Also they will, with better fitness, approach matchdays in a more confident manner. A fit team is a good team in my opinion.

Phil D. Rolls
18-11-2013, 09:07 AM
So Monday morning at the Training Centre and Butcher and Malpas’ first proper training session with players. What would you have them doing? I’d be implementing double training sessions most days.

10-12 I’d have them doing fitness work, push ups, sit ups etc, sprints and endurance training.

FWIW I think the players will enjoy a stricter regime under Butcher and Co. Also they will, with better fitness, approach matchdays in a more confident manner. A fit team is a good team in my opinion.

What dietary regime would you recommend?

andrew70
18-11-2013, 09:13 AM

A celebratory chippy every other Saturday :greengrin

Hibbyradge
18-11-2013, 09:13 AM

Where do your ideas come from?

cabbageandribs1875
18-11-2013, 09:16 AM
45 mins push-up's/upper body strength stuff and aw that

30 mins of high-tech passing a ball to another player 20 yards away, the player receiving the ball is not allowed to move and the ball has to touch them, if they can't hit the player with the ball then they have to stay on until they do(players must be prepared to do mega-overtime to achieve this)

60 mins faffin about on the Xbox's/playstations etc etc

20 mins in the sauna

afternoon relaxation in the bookies

jodjam
18-11-2013, 09:21 AM

Two hours training without a ball, as you suggest ,is crazy. Coaching sessions have evolved and excellent fitness work can be done whilst using a ball

Phil D. Rolls
18-11-2013, 09:22 AM
45 mins push-up's/upper body strength stuff and aw that

30 mins of high-tech passing a ball to another player 20 yards away, the player receiving the ball is not allowed to move and the ball has to touch them, if they can't hit the player with the ball then they have to stay on until they do(players must be prepared to do mega-overtime to achieve this)

60 mins faffin about on the Xbox's/playstations etc etc

20 mins in the sauna

afternoon relaxation in the bookies

Deal, where do I sign?

clerriehibs
18-11-2013, 09:23 AM

You can't be too hard on the wee souls, they might go running to petrie.

andrew70
18-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Two hours training without a ball, as you suggest ,is crazy. Coaching sessions have evolved and excellent fitness work can be done whilst using a ball

At no point did I say the fitness was without a ball, most of the fitness work at the team I help run is done with a ball at feet. The second part of the day is less strenous and more about understanding where the players are playing and their roles in the team. Something which I feel Hibs have lacked in recent years.

cabbageandribs1875
18-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Deal, where do I sign?

on the dotted line :deal:

brian6-2
18-11-2013, 09:28 AM
Id have them doing alot more than 4 hours work a day anyway.

Hibbyradge
18-11-2013, 09:37 AM
http://www.soccerpilot.com/soccermagazine/articles/barcelona.html

Hibbyradge
18-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Id have them doing alot more than 4 hours work a day anyway.

http://www.ronaldo7.net/extra/training/cristiano-ronaldo-training.html

andrew70
18-11-2013, 09:43 AM

I have used this site before, very useful. Some handy hints and tips, some great drills as well.

Pretty Boy
18-11-2013, 09:45 AM

Was just about to post that link.

Amazing how many people who still think running players into the ground (or get them doon tae Gullane as the war cry goes) will improve them.

I'm sure TB and MM know what they are doing and i'll trust them to do it.

Speedway
18-11-2013, 09:47 AM
“They won’t be comfortable when we are there. I tell you that!” he said. “They’ll work their ***** off. It’s a facility that will improve the players, the team, and improve their understanding. It’s a great place to work. But it is a work place. - Butcher

“I have said that to the players already. I told them that if they don’t like that then don’t come with us. I said ‘you will work harder than you have worked before and you will be fitter. I want my team to be the fittest, strongest and sharpest and hardest working team in the league.’ The ability they have will come forward, but our work rate is high and we expect the players to be the same.” - Butcher

“If I hear any player say they can’t do it, then they’ll get a size eight boot up the backside.” - Malpas

I'm guessing it will be along these lines.

Andy74
18-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Wasn't the first proper session last Monday?

cocopops1875
18-11-2013, 09:50 AM
At no point did I say the fitness was without a ball, most of the fitness work at the team I help run is done with a ball at feet. The second part of the day is less strenous and more about understanding where the players are playing and their roles in the team. Something which I feel Hibs have lacked in recent years.

Ball at feet push ups and sit ups ? Even sprints and endurance work is rarely done ball at feet ?

cocopops1875
18-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Wasn't the first proper session last Monday?

Not sure but certainly Tuesday/Wednesday and given reports some players dinnie like it suggests he has had at least a few days with them

Twa Cairpets
18-11-2013, 09:56 AM
I have used this site before, very useful. Some handy hints and tips, some great drills as well.

It's an excellent wee article, and one that demonstrates how far modern sports/football science has come.

Can I ask the OP what possible benefit he thinks sit ups or push ups has on a football pitch? The run 'em to death method of training is so far off the mark as to be positively Victorian. YOu could argue core strength a bit with sit-ups, but there are much better things you can do.

Active play in football, in a physical sense, is governed by flexibility and short sprints. The muscles you need to fire to run 5 miles or do sit-ups aren't the muscles you need to fire to run 15 yards at pace. I'd be fairly confident given the way ICT looked that Tel and Mo are clued up on this.

andrew70
18-11-2013, 10:00 AM

Ball at feet push ups and sit ups ? Even sprints and endurance work is rarely done ball at feet ?

MOST being the operative word in there. Again most of our sprinting work, short sharp stuff is done with a ball to encourage better control. Endurance work can be done in many ways i.e one on ones, keeping the ball off your opponent and various other drills, definitely not just running round and round a pitch etc. With the ball at a players feet they constantly have to be switched on as well and not just going through the motions.

cocopops1875
18-11-2013, 10:04 AM
MOST being the operative word in there. Again most of our sprinting work, short sharp stuff is done with a ball to encourage better control. Endurance work can be done in many ways i.e one on ones, keeping the ball off your opponent and various other drills, definitely not just running round and round a pitch etc. With the ball at a players feet they constantly have to be switched on as well and not just going through the motions.
You gave 4 examples of what you would have them do am I right ? Then you said most of your fitness work had ball at feet am I right ? I questioned this and you have given 1 from the 3 you would do ball at feet ? And 1 which can

Hibbyradge
18-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Messi's routine.

http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/bodyshots/?guide=messi

DAVE1875
18-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Shame we don't have something like this at EM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhAyX81zP2M (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhAyX81zP2M)

Hibbyradge
18-11-2013, 10:14 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhAyX81zP2M (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhAyX81zP2M)

It looks impressive, but £2m+ to train one player at a time doesn't seem like particularly good value.

Particularly when you could easily set it up using real players who would be benefiting from the passing activity too.

cocopops1875
18-11-2013, 10:15 AM

Aye but we can have them doing push ups and sit ups 😃

Haymaker
18-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Start: Technical warm up
Main 1: technical practise on todays topic
Main 2: SSG - 3v3s
Main 3: Tactical work on upcoming opp.
Gym: Active recovery session
Gym: Deep relaxation and stretches.

Team based obviously so individual training can be worked upon once the training staff know the players strengths/weaknesses better.

High tempo where applicable.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-11-2013, 10:33 AM
given reports some players dinnie like it suggests he has had at least a few days with them

Get them out the door then, let the revolution begin!

Shore Thing
18-11-2013, 11:27 AM
First touch practise.
I long to see the players receive a pass, control it first time, with their heads up looking round for the next pass (or surging forward run).

HibsNibs
18-11-2013, 11:32 AM
The first thing they should do is run tests (o2 max etc.) on each of the wage thieves to see how unfit they currently are.

Dinkydoo
18-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Can I ask the OP what possible benefit he thinks sit ups or push ups has on a football pitch? The run 'em to death method of training is so far off the mark as to be positively Victorian. YOu could argue core strength a bit with sit-ups, but there are much better things you can do.

:agree:

In my experience, sit-ups are only good for more sit-ups.

Speedway
18-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Maybe he'll motivate the Scottish players this way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwQg9YCpQ6w

PatHead
18-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Surely the first thing they will have done is to explain the way they wish the game to be played, what is required of players, where they want to be- the big picture sort of thing. Only then once the players have bought into it does he start the training regime which should be adapted to each player's specific shortfalls as well as teamwork.

Craig_in_Prague
18-11-2013, 12:25 PM
:agree:

In my experience, sit-ups are only good for more sit-ups.

I do sit ups every day.
Its called getting out of bed.

Hibercelona
18-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Up and down Arthur Seat for 4 hours.

Then once the warm up is over, they can begin the real training.

Hibercelona
18-11-2013, 12:35 PM
I do sit ups every day.
Its called getting out of bed.

I do sit up reps.

It's called sitting up then lying back down again. :wink:

Brightside
18-11-2013, 12:45 PM

10 - 4 five days a week. Every peice of work should involve a ball (including all the fitness work) Beans on Toast for lunch. Rip out the pool table and the playstation.

Hibbyradge
18-11-2013, 12:48 PM
The first thing they should do is run tests (o2 max etc.) on each of the wage thieves to see how unfit they currently are.

That's such a horrible, disrespectful Yammish phrase.

You must be a joy to be with on match days.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

LeithBoozy
18-11-2013, 12:50 PM
With Terry being hard but fair, I would imagine the first week or two will be spent in the classroom, making sure the players are up to date with their paperwork. Some of these job-seeker allowance forms can be a real bitch, when done for the first time! :wink:

Hibbyradge
18-11-2013, 12:54 PM
10 - 4 five days a week. Every peice of work should involve a ball (including all the fitness work) Beans on Toast for lunch. Rip out the pool table and the playstation.

Hear hear.

The working environment should not be enjoyable.

Make them hate the place. We don't want them hanging about or feeling like they're glad to be part of something.

That's what the bookies and George Street are for.

Brightside
18-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Do you have pool table at your work place? Do you think Caley Thistle had one? Can we please stop cuddling our players.

Hibbyradge
18-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Do you have pool table at your work place? Do you think Caley Thistle had one? Can we please stop cuddling our players.

I have a PC, a stereo, a kitchen, a garden, a TV, a Wii, a bed and a drinks cabinet, but sadly no, I don't have a pool table.

The last 3 places I worked did though, a couple of them had bars, and one had a dartboard and a table tennis table too.

Can you recommend any books on people management which advocate stripping the employees of all creature comforts?

Your ideas about motivation are entirely new to me.

TrinityHibs
18-11-2013, 02:32 PM
In no particular order or particular time of the day I would like to see the team do some speed work, some pass and go into open space and a decent session on how to take and how to defend throw ins. Defending corners would be quite helpful and maybe the old style forward pass might be practiced. A bit of tactical work might be beneficial particularly encouraging players to play in their natural positions and actually do what they are asked to do. Maybe some of our one footed players could try their other for a change. Crossing practice should be re-introduced and for the more enthusiastic perhaps hitting the bye line and pulling the ball back could be tried. This could be very effective if it was combined with players making slightly earlier late runs so that they might get into position to receive said crossed ball.

Defensively I think it would benefit the team if the back four introduced themselves to each other and then maybe have a discussion on how to prevent quick players running through on to balls clipped over the top. The full backs could also introduce themselves to the wide midfield players and maybe agree how best to deal with working together in both attack and defence. ( I know this is pushing it but some other teams seem to have managed this)

Maybe Collins, Hefferman, Vine, Robertson and Craig can be encouraged to write witty or meaningful messages on their vests. This will motivate them to score although it is important that the messages have a decent life on them or they might run out of vests. Danny Handling and Ross Caldwell should be gently introduced to the playing surface. Moving too quickly from a seated position might give them a brain freeze. Harris and Clancy have a similar problem bringing them out into the sun might traumatise them.

KT and TT should not bother introducing themselves to each other as they should never be in the same team.

Finally Callum Booth should be given plastic surgery as he is rapidly turning into a club badge and we should buy a first team shirt for Jason Cummings as it is just not right expecting him to wear a tee shirt all the time. (Both of these are courtesy of the fishy site)

In TB and MM I trust.

--------
18-11-2013, 02:37 PM
I have a PC, a stereo, a kitchen, a garden, a TV, a Wii, a bed and a drinks cabinet, but sadly no, I don't have a pool table.

The last 3 places I worked did though, a couple of them had bars, and one had a dartboard and a table tennis table too.

Can you recommend any books on people management which advocate stripping the employees of all creature comforts?

It's a pity Thatcher closed down all the coal mines. If they were all working down the pit, they'd appreciate being let out to play football, and the work'd keep them fit without any training at all.

(Many Hibs fans of my father's generation used to tell me that whenever he needed a new fullback/winger/centre-half/whatever all Willie McCartney had to do was go to the nearest coal mine and get a message to the coal-face and the required player would appear at the gates of ER at the end of the shift ...)

Mac
18-11-2013, 02:41 PM

and i have worked for a number of companies that remove the 'creature comforts' if the people using them are massively underachieving, you need to earn such comforts and at the moment i would guess the focus would be on hard work than their pool/darts/fifa14 skills.

MB62
18-11-2013, 02:45 PM

Many moons ago, I interviewed Mogadon for MHHM. One of his 'off the record' comments were about his players. He took us out of his office and pointed along the corridor to where the players were having lunch.

'Look at them' he said, 'we have just done a mornings training and preparation for the game tomorrow' (we were playing the oldco next day at hunbrox and got walloped) 'look at what they are eating, fish and chips and all the rubbish of day. It disnae matter what I say to them, until they change their diet, they will NEVER be fitba players'.

I don't know if that said more about the players eating habits or the fact that Lexo had no control over them.

Beefster
18-11-2013, 02:45 PM

A lot of the more enlightened employers have pool tables, table tennis, foosball etc.

HibsNibs
18-11-2013, 03:24 PM
That's such a horrible, disrespectful Yammish phrase.

You must be a joy to be with on match days.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

It's all about opinions eh. I'm a delight to be with at matches when I think their performances merit it.

Hibbyradge
18-11-2013, 03:49 PM
It's all about opinions eh. I'm a delight to be with at matches when I think their performances merit it.

That's the easy bit.

Try being a delight when the players' performance needs it. :agree:

1987kev
18-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Throw ins

jacomo
18-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Was just about to post that link.

Amazing how many people who still think running players into the ground (or get them doon tae Gullane as the war cry goes) will improve them.

I'm sure TB and MM know what they are doing and i'll trust them to do it.

Pah. I'd build a mini Coliseum at EM and just throw the weakest trainer to the lions at the end of each day. A week of that and we'd be a bit shorter on numbers but I'm sure the remaining (surviving) members of the squad would be more attentive and more focused.

Also, the other players could watch the end-of-day entertainment and bet on how long the fella would last, which would keep them away from the bookies.

snooky
18-11-2013, 05:49 PM
It's a pity Thatcher closed down all the coal mines. If they were all working down the pit, they'd appreciate being let out to play football, and the work'd keep them fit without any training at all.

(Many Hibs fans of my father's generation used to tell me that whenever he needed a new fullback/winger/centre-half/whatever all Willie McCartney had to do was go to the nearest coal mine and get a message to the coal-face and the required player would appear at the gates of ER at the end of the shift ...)

Aye, tell that t' kids today and they don't believe ye. :coffee:

basehibby
18-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Many moons ago, I interviewed Mogadon for MHHM. One of his 'off the record' comments were about his players. He took us out of his office and pointed along the corridor to where the players were having lunch.

'Look at them' he said, 'we have just done a mornings training and preparation for the game tomorrow' (we were playing the oldco next day at hunbrox and got walloped) 'look at what they are eating, fish and chips and all the rubbish of day. It disnae matter what I say to them, until they change their diet, they will NEVER be fitba players'.

I don't know if that said more about the players eating habits or the fact that Lexo had no control over them.

I'd say that showed that at the time there were no canteen facilities at ER and the players were let loose at lunch time to get their own food - that their manager was at pains to offer them excellent dietary advice, but their own stupidity and lack of ambition/self-discipline led them to ignore it.

I'd hope and imagine that at EM there is some sort of canteen facilities which can be utilised to prevent the players eating like they want to grow up to be a couch potato?!?

stoneyburn hibs
18-11-2013, 06:38 PM
10am to 1pm, manicure training.
1pm to 4pm, autograph training.

NAE NOOKIE
18-11-2013, 06:41 PM
Make it so that the players dinnae look so knackered after 70 minutes and make sure that they can sprint 10 yards without looking like their hamstrings are going to burst.

I would say replace the sprint coach but I doubt we have one.

I dont know what sort of lifestyle the players have on a day to day basis and perhaps I'm being unfair to them. But as far as I can see what needs to happen is that they be made to understand that they are full time professional athletes. Unfortunately for them that means not getting rat arsed up George street on a Saturday night and buying a fish supper on the way home. At least not during the season.

Their attitude should be one of dedication to their technical and physical abilities at all times. They are living what is a dream for millions of kids all over the world and getting paid 2 - 3 thousand pounds a week for the privilege.

When they play and train it should be as if the aim was to be good enough and fit enough to make that Barcelona first team. Instead of Rowan Vine looking at James Collins at East Mains and hoping he can do better than him he should be looking at Robert Lewandowski on the telly and saying to himself, how can I get as good as that guy? He never will be ..... but what the hells wrong with trying?

leggeto
19-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Down the gullane bents until they all spew up

greenpaper55
20-11-2013, 07:04 AM
This apparently , eating cakes and having a laugh, seriously though it sounds like a breath of fresh air down at EM, lets hope it works on the pitch.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/terry-butcher-impressed-by-hibs-east-mains-set-up-1-3194723

spike220
20-11-2013, 08:10 AM
I would spend day 1, ensuring all the players are aware of our proud history and roots. I would get a few people in to talk about what Hibs means to them. I would start to build a club culture. Let all the players know what a great team Hibs is and make them aware of the sacrifices of others to put everything in place we have today. Then ask them to go home and tomorrow start showing some respect for the shirt and those who have gone before. You never own the Hibs shirt you are only looking after it for the next generation, so that one day they might fondly recall your stewardship. GGTTH

lyonhibs
20-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Get them to read Lugton's books on our history front to back, left to right and right to left. Twice.

Then down Gullane to peg up and down the dunes, where a newly installed concealed travellator under the sand will sort the men from the boys. Once they've all spewed their ring, it's off to some dug ***** covered park with the medicine balls for circuits.

Gruel and carrots for lunch and then...........................

You get the picture. Make these wastrels sweat for the cause.

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM etc etc etc

Viva_Palmeiras
20-11-2013, 09:55 AM
This apparently , eating cakes and having a laugh, seriously though it sounds like a breath of fresh air down at EM, lets hope it works on the pitch.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/terry-butcher-impressed-by-hibs-east-mains-set-up-1-3194723

“It’s all about what’s going to happen now. It was nothing about the past. The past is gone and we can’t change that. It wasn’t a clear the air, it was just some honesty from the players and us hearing what they want to do and how high they want to finish.”

The more salubrious setting for training, the offices, the facilities, all have Butcher cooing. A guy who says that, even as a treble-winning player at Rangers, he had to pack away goalposts to prevent locals cutting them up for scrap and sprint to retrieve any ball which flew over a fence to stop it being nicked, he has never experienced training facilities like Hibs’.

“This is what you work for in a way through all the years. To have this is fantastic,” explained the manager. “It’s just a dream, every day’s a dream for me. It’s fantastic. I hope there are no nightmares around the corner, but I’m living the dream.”

Can we as a support get with this notion as well?

I think most of us would agree that TB says what he means and means what he says. Players take heed this is an ex-captain of a team that progressed in the World Cup won things with Ipswich and Rangers. If he is cooing about the facilities maybe you need to appreciate just what you've got - til it's gone. Maybe the younger players should go out to the likes of Cowdenbeath to compare and contrast facilities...

Hibbyradge
20-11-2013, 10:08 AM
“It’s all about what’s going to happen now. It was nothing about the past. The past is gone and we can’t change that.

That sounds good. Maybe the manager should try it...:wink:

"(Butcher) says that, even as a treble-winning player at Rangers, he had to pack away goalposts to prevent locals cutting them up for scrap and sprint to retrieve any ball which flew over a fence to stop it being nicked."

"It was Tesco cakes at Caley Thistle but it’s now Marks & Spencer!”

"Some of it is like how we used to do it at Inverness and Motherwell."

"...the training sessions have been terrific, up to the tempo we had at Caley Thistle."

Scouse Hibee
20-11-2013, 10:26 AM
I'm no expert so I have no idea what they should be doing but I'm sure our new management team do.

Ozyhibby
20-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Did anybody have buy them all cakes in the sweepstakes?