PDA

View Full Version : Why I've Come Round To The Butcher/Malpas Appointment

Dashing Bob S
17-11-2013, 01:40 PM
I was never that excited by this appointment, but now I am, mainly because of the reaction of Jambo chums.

I'm getting a range of queasy emotions from them, ranging from wariness to despondency, and there's even a distinct whiff of fear in the air.

So that will do nicely for me.

Anybody else feeling their unease over this appointment?

bingo70
17-11-2013, 01:57 PM
He wasn't my choice and Tbh unlike most on here there hasn't been anything said that's particularly excited me (I found malpas comments about results being the only thing that mattered concerning).

In saying that though I realise though that talk is cheap and all this stuff is irelevant, improved performances are alp that matters, if he does that then I will be happier than anyone.

Hibs7
17-11-2013, 02:03 PM
I like what they have both said, I would not be too disappointed to watch a Hibs team lose as long as every player give 100%+ ...because with an attitude like that you will win more than you lose .. I also think TB and MM will change tactics as required during a game ... Something we have not coped too well with for a while.

Quietly optimistic :aok:

DC_Hibs
17-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Well that's a huge weight off my mind knowing you are finally excited about the new manager Boaby.

Goodness knows how Mr Butcher is now feeling at this spectacular news.

Dashing Bob S
17-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Well that's a huge weight off my mind knowing you are finally excited about the new manager Boaby.

Goodness knows how Mr Butcher is now feeling at this spectacular news.

Yes, I too share your feeling that his indifference might be somewhat hard to contain.

But I thoroughly expect to see him doing cartwheels at the startling revelation that my excitement at his appointment has taken such a huge weight off your mind! :wink:

jonty
17-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Prior to Fenlons departure when TB was being talked about as a potential replacement, it was easy to dismiss as a boring replacement.
Now he has been appointed along with his backroom staff and more insight into his coaching (ie youtube videos) I'm coming round to the idea.

No cartwheels yet though.

Ozyhibby
17-11-2013, 02:26 PM
He wasn't my choice and Tbh unlike most on here there hasn't been anything said that's particularly excited me (I found malpas comments about results being the only thing that mattered concerning).

I was delighted when I heard that.
Let's give Winning a try and see if we like it. If we don't like it we can always go back to our normal way of doing it.
Opinions, eh.

brian6-2
17-11-2013, 02:29 PM

In saying that though I realise though that talk is cheap and all this stuff is irelevant, improved performances are alp that matters, if he does that then I will be happier than anyone.

whats he meant to say? "winning and getting results doesnt matter, as long as we play well"

getting results is what the games all about.

Hibbyradge
17-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Before it happened, I read people describing Butcher's appointment as a "Lazy and "Cheap".

How Lazy an appointment was it?

And how cheap?

I need answers to these two crucial questions before I can allow myself to even consider excitement.

bingo70
17-11-2013, 02:33 PM
I was delighted when I heard that.
Let's give Winning a try and see if we like it. If we don't like it we can always go back to our normal way of doing it.
Opinions, eh.

Our normal way of doing it is to play ***** and lose which isn't what I want the club to strive for, I want us to entertain and win, both of those things are important to me. Short term obviously winning is the most important thing but I'd like to think long term we'll be looking to build a team that plays attractive entertaining football.

If that's not what we are striving for then maybe Williamson was right when he spoke about going to the cinema for entertainment.

RIP Bestie
17-11-2013, 02:34 PM

I find this comment incredible. Why would you not want this? Surely that would be progress?

Hibercelona
17-11-2013, 02:39 PM
I'm still completely indifferent about the appointment.

Nobody really stood out for me while we were searching for the new guy. I think Butchers success at the club will depend on a few factors, some being out of his own hands.

lord bunberry
17-11-2013, 02:40 PM
I was never that excited by this appointment, but now I am, mainly because of the reaction of Jambo chums.

I'm getting a range of queasy emotions from them, ranging from wariness to despondency, and there's even a distinct whiff of fear in the air.

So that will do nicely for me.

Anybody else feeling their unease over this appointment?

I was also a bit underwhelmed by his appointment, but having listened to what he has had to say since getting the job I'm really starting to warm to him. It's a bit like when mowbray was appointed.

bingo70
17-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Before it happened, I read people describing Butcher's appointment as a "Lazy and "Cheap".

How Lazy an appointment was it?

And how cheap?

I need answers to these two crucial questions before I can allow myself to even consider excitement.

It was me that said it was a lazy appointment when he first being considered and I.explained that comment at the time, don't think you responded to that though.

I don't want to get into a thread slagging butcher as I will be fully behind him, I've just got a few concerns, which is what the thread was about.

To answer people saying its just about winning, maybe go back to the thread after the partick game when we played mingin but won.

bingo70
17-11-2013, 02:42 PM
I find this comment incredible. Why would you not want this? Surely that would be progress?

Hopefully my post above yours will explain it for you then.

Mikey
17-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Jambo chums.

It's time you had a quiet word with yourself Robert.

Hibbyradge
17-11-2013, 02:48 PM
It was me that said it was a lazy appointment when he first being considered and I.explained that comment at the time, don't think you responded to that though.

I don't want to get into a thread slagging butcher as I will be fully behind him, I've just got a few concerns, which is what the thread was about.

To answer people saying its just about winning, maybe go back to the thread after the partick game when we played mingin but won.

It wasn't you that I had in mind, but I'd be interested to know how successfully headhunting the currently most successful and one of the most sought after managers in Scotland is lazy.

I don't even know what a lazy appointment is and who it would be. Kenny Shiels? Jimmy Nichol? Jimmy Calderwood?

RIP Bestie
17-11-2013, 02:50 PM

I don't think playing mingin and winning is necessarily what Malpas is meaning here. I think it's about playing the game in order to win a game. Dundee Utd had some great forward thinking players when Malpas played for them but lot of the time they were seen as defensive. Hence the Maurice Backpass nickname. Who hasn't had a fantastic Saturday night and found it hard to take the smile off your face after coming away from Parkhead, after being well and truly humped for 90 minutes, with a 1-0 win?

Dashing Bob S
17-11-2013, 02:51 PM

When I say 'chums' I obviously mean 'much-detested, inbred, cheating, paedophille adversaries.'

bingo70
17-11-2013, 02:53 PM
It wasn't you that I had in mind, but I'd be interested to know how successfully headhunting the currently most successful and one of the most sought after managers in Scotland is lazy.

I don't even know what a lazy appointment is and who it would be. Kenny Shiels? Jimmy Nichol? Jimmy Calderwood?

He's man of the moment just now but he's not got a successful managerial career imo.

My preference would have been to look abroad for a manager that put a strong emphasis on style of football but hey ho, hopefully butcher is the right man and does well.

Keith_M
17-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Anybody that's watched ICT play in the last couple of years will surely have seen that they don't 'win ugly'. They play exciting, atacking football. The style of play is probably more direct than the ideal imagined by Mowbray or Collins but it most certainly isn't ugly hoofball.

If Malpas said that winning is the most important thing, it's surely hard to disagree. Given the choice, I'd rather watch Hibs win three or four nil than have 83% of possession and play pretty football but win one - nil...... or as was more often the case, get beat.

Flair Out, Winning In!

Pretty Boy
17-11-2013, 03:01 PM
With the resources available to him he has been the best manager in the league the last 2 years imo.

In an ideal world we would play 'the Hibs way' and win. I'm very much a believer in both entertaining and winning. Someone one here a while back posted something along the lines of '**** flair football'. I just don't get that attitude as good football should always be the aim. However in the short term winning is what is important. If that means playing in a somewhat unattractive way to achieve that then so be it. My problem with Fenlon was we played horrible football that wasn't particularly effective either.

Dashing Bob S
17-11-2013, 03:01 PM
My intention of this thread was to point out that Hearts fans seem to me to be particularly down about Butcher's appointment, and wondering if anybody else found that to be the case?

Keith_M
17-11-2013, 03:03 PM
My intention of this thread was to point out that Hearts fans seem to me to be particularly down about Butcher's appointment, and wondering if anybody else found that to be the case?

I did notice that everybody seemed to have missed the point.

FWIW, I haven't heard any Jambos expressing concern since TB was appointed, although not many of my neighbours in Munich are Yams...........

Hibbyradge
17-11-2013, 03:05 PM

I haven't associated with any for a number of weeks so therefore can not pass comment.

RIP Bestie
17-11-2013, 03:08 PM
With the resources available to him he has been the best manager in the league the last 2 years imo.

In an ideal world we would play 'the Hibs way' and win. I'm very much a believer in both entertaining and winning. Someone one here a while back posted something along the lines of '**** flair football'. I just don't get that attitude as good football should always be the aim. However in the short term winning is what is important. If that means playing in a somewhat unattractive way to achieve that then so be it. My problem with Fenlon was we played horrible football that wasn't particularly effective either.
There is a massive difference between playing to win and what Fenlon had us playing. There is still a place for offensive flair football when you play to win but sometimes it's important to be able to do the defensive and boring stuff well too. Defending is as much of an art as attacking.

Ozyhibby
17-11-2013, 03:14 PM
I'd like to keep debates about pretty football and the mythical 'Hibs way' for Saturday nights after winning 3-0 as we march up the table.

RIP Bestie
17-11-2013, 03:18 PM
I'd like to keep debates about pretty football and the mythical 'Hibs way' for Saturday nights after winning 3-0 as we march up the table.
Can anyone tell me the last time we played this mythical "Hibs way" and what did we win?

jacomo
17-11-2013, 03:19 PM
He's man of the moment just now but he's not got a successful managerial career imo.

My preference would have been to look abroad for a manager that put a strong emphasis on style of football but hey ho, hopefully butcher is the right man and does well.

Overall his record ain't great, but TB / MM have an enviable record as a partnership, and that is what we have got.

More broadly, this is a big job and I am glad our new manager has a trusted lieutenant by his side from day one. PF looked lonely at times as the weight of expectation piled up on his shoulders.

Keith_M
17-11-2013, 03:35 PM
Can anyone tell me the last time we played this mythical "Hibs way" and what did we win?

2007 League Cup Final

Hibbyradge
17-11-2013, 03:42 PM

The first 30 minutes against Hearts?

We won nowt.

RIP Bestie
17-11-2013, 03:43 PM
2007 League Cup Final
Played well that day but are we talking one game or full season?

matty_f
17-11-2013, 03:43 PM

I'll be honest and say that I thought exactly like you when the news first broke that we were going for him. I wanted someone new, fresh, and exciting and was pretty disappointed when butcher was quoted with us.

That said, when I reflected on his achievements at Inverness, they're incredible. What really swung it for me was that video that was posted of butcher talking about leadership. It was great, and I understood right away how he achieved what he did with Inverness. I am very excited about Butcher now. I think we're in for good times.

Pretty Boy
17-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Played well that day but are we talking one game or full season?

We'd played consistently good, more often than not winning football since August 2004, the culmination of that was March 2007.

In the modern era no team outwith Celtic and soon to be Rangers again will win things consistently. Decent football and a trophy is success that should be applauded.

blackpoolhibs
17-11-2013, 03:52 PM
I did not have a clue who i wanted to be our next manager, and every time we have appointed a new man i have been impressed with what they have had to say when coming in.

I have come to the conclusion talk is very cheap, but a vital part in getting the fans on their side.

Results are what matters, plus style and entertainment. If Terry can bring us some of that, then the worlds his lobster. :wink:

Paisley Hibby
17-11-2013, 04:14 PM
whats he meant to say? "winning and getting results doesnt matter, as long as we play well"

getting results is what the games all about.

Exactly! If we were in the Scottish Cup Final and won it totally against the run of play with a last minute dodgy penalty I wouldn't be complaining about our failure to play silky football.

jacomo
17-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Sounds a bit like its back to basics with the new management team. Given how much we all complain about Hibs being unable to do the basics right, is that such a bad thing?

P.S. I genuinely could not care less about what the Yams think.

Phil D. Rolls
17-11-2013, 05:13 PM
I don't think playing mingin and winning is necessarily what Malpas is meaning here. I think it's about playing the game in order to win a game. Dundee Utd had some great forward thinking players when Malpas played for them but lot of the time they were seen as defensive. Hence the Maurice Backpass nickname. Who hasn't had a fantastic Saturday night and found it hard to take the smile off your face after coming away from Parkhead, after being well and truly humped for 90 minutes, with a 1-0 win?

They were one of the most horrible teams to watch ever, and their cynical attitude to the game was, er, horrible as well.

Hope my horrible cynicism about Maurice is met with the appropriate indifference etc.

Mikey
17-11-2013, 05:21 PM

Dunno. Don't know any :greengrin

The Falcon
17-11-2013, 05:33 PM

Nobody really stood out for me while we were searching for the new guy. I think Butchers success at the club will depend on a few factors, some being out of his own hands.

Seriously?

Sas_The_Hibby
17-11-2013, 06:15 PM
I understand a number of Hibs fans may not be especially excited about TB's appointment but I do wonder what sort of calibre of candidate people think Hibs, in their current state, could realistically expect to attract.

And don't tell me "But we're HIBS" because, outside of our own fanbase, nobody's impressed by that.

Personally, I think Butcher and Malpas are a better prospect than we could realistically have hoped for and I'm cautiously optimistic about what they could achieve. Excited? Not exactly, but I can't imagine a better management team we could afford or attract at this moment in time.

As for Hearts fans I know, some of them are saying they're worried but I hear that before every derby and then look what happens.............

edwards
17-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Have always wanted butcher as manager ever since his spell at Motherwell, hopefully will take us forward as a club, motivates players and sure he will get up in the top half of the SPL challenging instead of a bottom six team. :agree:

Jonnyboy
17-11-2013, 08:44 PM

Still prepared to give him a whole month for you to make your mind up? :wink:

Jonnyboy
17-11-2013, 08:47 PM
In today's SoS, TB points out that any success he's had as a manager was when he had MM at his side. We've got them both, together with the guy who scouted seven of the ICT team that beat us 2-0 at ER.

That's exciting IMO

Stewboy
17-11-2013, 08:57 PM
What I have had from Yam mates

1st hearing of our interest in TB/MM - they would be good for Hibs as they are exactly what hibs need and are a good pairing

Post install has now reverted to his TBs sackings etc and convinently forgotten what he has done at ICT etc

That'll do for me....

Dashing Bob S
17-11-2013, 09:03 PM
In today's SoS, TB points out that any success he's had as a manager was when he had MM at his side. We've got them both, together with the guy who scouted seven of the ICT team that beat us 2-0 at ER.

That's exciting IMO

Yes, both Butcher and Malpas were failures on their own, but the 2+2=10 formula seems to be working, and aggregated in that manner, with the coach thrown in, it is exciting. I'm hoping that they really fit like a glove into our set-up and supply the missing link on the footballing side.

Jonnyboy
17-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Yes, both Butcher and Malpas were failures on their own, but the 2+2=10 formula seems to be working, and aggregated in that manner, with the coach thrown in, it is exciting. I'm hoping that they really fit like a glove into our set-up and supply the missing link on the footballing side.

:aok:

brog
17-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Bob, welcome on board! Living in London I'm pretty much in a Yam free zone but I've had many positive comments about Hibs since TB's appointment from my English friends & colleagues. He's raised our profile already. I'm hugely pleased about TB & not just from the playing perspective. I really expect him to revolutionise our whole club, something which is long overdue.

The Modfather
17-11-2013, 11:53 PM
I was disappointed there didn't appear to be much of a shortlist or recruitment process. I understand that Butcher was the number one target, and I'm not saying we rushed the appointment.

I'd have liked to have had a look around and maybe compared other interviews to Butcher. I was genuinely excited when the Spannish guy (ex Malaga manager?) had apparently applied. Someone from a different culture and outside the goldfish bowl of Scottish football.

Butcher it is though, and I'm quietly optimistic. I've liked what he said and his Inverness team were definitely worth paying to see.

basehibby
18-11-2013, 12:00 AM
I was pretty delighted about Butcher signing because for me he was the stand out candidate and rather than dither about inviting applications, Hibs went right out and got him. When I mentioned Butcher in the immediate aftermath of Fenlon's resignation many folk were telling me that "he'd never come to Hibs" because ICT were doing so well and Hibs were some sort of poisoned chalice (BS - FO Yams!)
My POV was that if Hibs DIDN'T go for Butcher then it would demonstrate a total lack of ambition. Happily Hibs have not only demonstrated ambition in attracting Butcher but have also outdone my own expectations by attracting the whole shooting match in Malpas and Marsella!

Without knowing anything about the negotiations that have gone on, I can only surmise that these guys have been tempted to leave ICT for ER by the prospect of total control over a far superior football infrastructure AND BUDGET than they had in Inverness. Considering what this "Oceans Three" managed to achieve on such a limited means at ICT I think there's plenty justification for feeling just a wee bit excited!

:tbgwa::flag::tbgwa::flag: :tbgwa:

basehibby
18-11-2013, 12:25 AM
Sounds a bit like its back to basics with the new management team. Given how much we all complain about Hibs being unable to do the basics right, is that such a bad thing?

P.S. I genuinely could not care less about what the Yams think.

Not a bad thing at all - apart from anything else, Butcher and Malpas will be working with exactly the same players going forward so the first thing to concentrate on will be working hard, keeping it simple and building the self belief of the team which took a bit of a battering towards the end of Fenlon's reign.

We do have some good players and, without expecting miracles, I don't think we'll have to wait too long to see the fruits of a different approach taking shape on the pitch.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-11-2013, 09:29 AM

Thats the part of the post from DBS that caused me most concern too.