PDA

View Full Version : FAO HAWKHILL BRANCH PEOPLE Of A Certain Vintage

Iggy Pope
17-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Hibbyradge, Jonnyboy et al

Interesting photograph in the nostalgic 'Remember When' section of yesterdays EEN (16/11). Well, I hope its of interest.

It shows two young Hibby ladies, setting off for Hampden for the 72 LC Final. The one on the left of the photo, resplendent in her Hibs University Scarf, goes by the name of Maureen Mayworth and I am certain she used to be a regular on the bus in the 1970s. I say certain, because she used to get on with her old boy (Tom) around about Park Grove and the other Stevie and me would have to make room for them (probably would not have been civil to ask her to sit next to auld Wullie Y for three hours mind) and make our way to the radge end of the bus.

Any Hawkhill worthies see the photo or remember her or her pal (Tina Neil according to the EEN)? I will try and get a scan of it up later.

WindyMiller
17-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Hibbyradge, Jonnyboy et al

Interesting photograph in the nostalgic 'Remember When' section of yesterdays EEN (16/11). Well, I hope its of interest.

It shows two young Hibby ladies, setting off for Hampden for the 72 LC Final. The one on the left of the photo, resplendent in her Hibs University Scarf, goes by the name of Maureen Mayworth and I am certain she used to be a regular on the bus in the 1970s. I say certain, because she used to get on with her old boy (Tom) around about Park Grove and the other Stevie and me would have to make room for them (probably would not have been civil to ask her to sit next to auld Wullie Y for three hours mind) and make our way to the radge end of the bus.

Any Hawkhill worthies see the photo or remember her or her pal (Tina Neil according to the EEN)? I will try and get a scan of it up later.

I remember Maureen (MacAulay) and Tina travelling to most of the away games during the Tornadoes era.

Hibbyradge
17-11-2013, 01:28 PM
I remember Maureen and her dad. They used to get on near the Maybury, iirc.

I didn't see the picture in the news though.

Iggy Pope
17-11-2013, 01:35 PM
I remember Maureen and her dad. They used to get on near the Maybury, iirc.

I didn't see the picture in the news though.

Park Grove if we were heading North.
I will try and get the picture up later - can't seem to find an online link.

Hibbyradge
17-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Park Grove if we were heading North.
I will try and get the picture up later - can't seem to find an online link.

:agree:

c31
17-11-2013, 03:37 PM
I was on that bus as a wee laddie, we got the windows stoved in on the way back. I've still got some glass I took as as keep sake in a wee bottle somewhere.

Hibbyradge
17-11-2013, 03:41 PM
I was on that bus as a wee laddie, we got the windows stoved in on the way back. I've still got some glass I took as as keep sake in a wee bottle somewhere.

Our windows were tanned in a few times.

Which game are you referring to?

c31
17-11-2013, 03:44 PM
1972 LC Final -- which is what the thread is about..

Stantons Angel
17-11-2013, 04:02 PM
i haven't see the photo but Maureen and her dad Tom stayed at Parkgrove for many a year.

Maureen Macaulay was a good friend of my sister's and traveled with her brother Raymond and his pal Ian McLauchan on Maude's bus regularly.

I also traveled at this time with my friends and traveled for many years with Hawkhill Branch .

Hibbyradge
17-11-2013, 04:05 PM
1972 LC Final -- which is what the thread is about..

Of course! :doh:

BT58
17-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Of course! :doh:

we did however get our windae panned in when we visited hunsville,,when the buses used to park at Saint Anthoneys ???[ it was a junior football club],,
think it was the time when we won 2-1 with a Keith Wright double
victor

Hibbyradge
17-11-2013, 04:25 PM
we did however get our windae panned in when we visited hunsville,,when the buses used to park at Saint Anthoneys ???[ it was a junior football club],,
victor

Queen of the South was another I think we either drew or lost a cup game that night. Ally Scott might have scored for us, but I could be confusing games.

A few of our lads got lifted for chasing the folk who had stoned the bus. :rolleyes:

Iggy Pope
17-11-2013, 04:26 PM
i haven't see the photo but Maureen and her dad Tom stayed at Parkgrove for many a year.

Maureen Macaulay was a good friend of my sister's and traveled with her brother Raymond and his pal Ian McLauchan on Maude's bus regularly.

I also traveled at this time with my friends and traveled for many years with Hawkhill Branch .

Well, if Maureen McAuley and Maureen Mayworth are one and the same (?), I hope she is well and remembers enjoying the comfort of my seat with such regularity.

I will try and get the photo up as its definitely the Maureen Mayworth I am thinking of and I hope she remains a good Hibby!

Iggy Pope
17-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Queen of the South was another I think we either drew or lost a cup game that night. Ally Scott might have scored for us, but I could be confusing games.

A few of our lads got lifted for chasing the folk who had stoned the bus. :rolleyes:

I think we drew and lost at ER?
We certainly went out over two legs.
Don't remember the arrests as my 13 year old erse would be under a seat.

Iggy Pope
17-11-2013, 04:29 PM
victor

We were also fortunate enough to partake in a swally or two at the same place!

BT58
17-11-2013, 04:44 PM
We were also fortunate enough to partake in a swally or two at the same place!

do you know if auld wullie is still with us
always remember him getting my fish supper at Stonehaven, we had just stopped off fae the dons game,,the lass asked if i wanted all on my supper
to my horror when i got on bus and opened up,,YEUCK tomato sauce,,auld wullie gladly accepted it,,i think it was only on the bus that he got fed :wink::wink:
victor

Hibbyradge
17-11-2013, 04:49 PM
I think we drew and lost at ER?
We certainly went out over two legs.
Don't remember the arrests as my 13 year old erse would be under a seat.

Aye, we drew then lost at home.

Mad Mike and Graeme Jackson at least got nicked.

Hibbyradge
17-11-2013, 04:55 PM
always remember him getting my fish supper at Stonehaven, we had just stopped off fae the dons game,,the lass asked if i wanted all on my supper
to my horror when i got on bus and opened up,,YEUCK tomato sauce,,auld wullie gladly accepted it,,i think it was only on the bus that he got fed :wink::wink:
victor

That was our first "Official Stop" on the way home. :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
17-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Were you allowed to talk to females on the Hawkhill bus. I used to get the impression that communication with each other was banned.

Iggy Pope
17-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Aye, we drew then lost at home.

Mad Mike and Graeme Jackson at least got nicked.

Mike was only recently telling me about Graeme Jackson's demise. I had no idea. One of quite a few :wink: that I consider role models to this day.

Iggy Pope
17-11-2013, 05:36 PM
victor

Stonehaven was a brilliant stop, as was Strathaven on other trips.

I would doubt that Wullie is kicking about still.

He did a wee spell minding the door at the Hibs Club during quiet midweeks, but I have not seen him in a few years and the last time I did he didn't look in the best fettle.
Mind you, he never looked too great in 1976.

Him and his muckers were tremendous auld Hibbies though.

Jonnyboy
17-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Were you allowed to talk to females on the Hawkhill bus. I used to get the impression that communication with each other was banned.

We all had long hair back then so Maude didnae notice :greengrin

I remember both Maureen and Tina well. Stalwarts on our bus back then

Ian McLauchlan still travels far and wide with the Hibs. I met him recently in Malmo

One other thing - Maude always sat next to a lovely elderly lady, Mrs Currie. Anyone remember her?

MichelleHibs
17-11-2013, 08:47 PM
We all had long hair back then so Maude didnae notice :greengrin

I remember both Maureen and Tina well. Stalwarts on our bus back then

Ian McLauchlan still travels far and wide with the Hibs. I met him recently in Malmo

One other thing - Maude always sat next to a lovely elderly lady, Mrs Currie. Anyone remember her?

That he does! Heard many a story from dad about the bus!!

Jonnyboy
17-11-2013, 08:47 PM
That he does! Heard many a story from dad about the bus!!

Any involving me are untrue Michelle :greengrin

MichelleHibs
17-11-2013, 08:52 PM
Any involving me are untrue Michelle :greengrin

Haha!! Believe you thousands wouldn't :)

Risboro Hibby
17-11-2013, 09:36 PM
Our windows were tanned in a few times.

Which game are you referring to?
I travelled every game with Hawkhill and Mrs Mac during the early seventies. I remember our bus getting stoned coming back from the 72 final. It meant we were late back and missed the open top bus parade and scenes outside the North British now Balmoral where the team showed off the cup

Stantons Angel
17-11-2013, 09:39 PM

I remember Mrs Currie very well, she was a lovely, smiling wee woman who used to accompany Maude everywhere.

She passed away some 20 yrs back and was badly missed by Maude.

A friend is writing a book at the moment and i have given him some tales of their antics at games, memories of which should raise a smile from those involved.

They were both stalwarts of that bus travelling to all away games for many years, both gone but have left so many happy memories.

Its the done thing to scoff at travelling on that bus but there has been hundreds of kids who would not have
been allowed to go to games away from home unless they were going on Maude's bus. that's the trust the parents placed in her with the safety of their sons and daughters. (mine included)

These are the adults of today and its nice that there are still so many with good memories of the days they used to travel with Hawkhill.

MichelleHibs
17-11-2013, 10:07 PM

I remember Mrs Currie very well, she was a lovely, smiling wee woman who used to accompany Maude everywhere.

A friend is writing a book at the moment and i have given him some tales of their antics at games, memories of which should raise a smile from those involved.

They were both stalwarts of that bus travelling to all away games for many years, both gone but have left so many happy memories.

Its the done thing to scoff at travelling on that bus but there has been hundreds of kids who would not have
been allowed to go to games away from home unless they were going on Maude's bus. that's the trust the parents placed in her with the safety of their sons and daughters. (mine included)

These are the adults of today and its nice that there are still so many with good memories of the days they used to travel with Hawkhill.

yip my dads often told me that! i remember Maude fondly from the hibs club.

monktonharp
17-11-2013, 10:25 PM
good memories of auld Maud in the Hibs club. she nipped yer heid until you bought a raffle ticket, or anything relating to her branch or a charity. one of the greatest Hibernian fans though.was sad to hear about her getting hit by a car? in Corrie, a few years back but even sadder to hear she is now gone.

Ray_
17-11-2013, 11:05 PM

Too true, my Dad was a Hearts supporter, so I relied on a neighbour, who was a hibs steward to take me to the home games when I was very young. I was pretty street wise and soon made it on my own and not long after that I was allowed to travel and it was with Mrs Mac. I remember going to Liverpool as a 13 year old and heading straight to school when we got back on the Wednesday morning.

Hibbyradge
17-11-2013, 11:30 PM
Aye, but were you a ticket seller? :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Aye, but were you a ticket seller? :wink:

The week after I told Maude I wouldnae be travelling on the bus anymore I had the audacity to sell the jackpot ticket at which point she said to me if I didnae have any winners I wouldve probably just kept the money, I wasnae impressed to say the least!

Hibbyradge
18-11-2013, 09:58 AM
The week after I told Maude I wouldnae be travelling on the bus anymore I had the audacity to sell the jackpot ticket at which point she said to me if I didnae have any winners I wouldve probably just kept the money, I wasnae impressed to say the least!

Aye, she had a way about her!

green.oracle
18-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Well, if Maureen McAuley and Maureen Mayworth are one and the same (?), I hope she is well and remembers enjoying the comfort of my seat with such regularity.

I will try and get the photo up as its definitely the Maureen Mayworth I am thinking of and I hope she remains a good Hibby!

I have not seen the photo but Maureen MacAulay (did indeed travel with her brother and "his pal") and Maureen Mayworth (did indeed travel with her father) are two different people. :agree::agree:

Tina Neil used to travel with her pal, Pat Choules.

Where are they now? :flag::flag:

BT58
18-11-2013, 12:44 PM
My wife worked in Ladywell doctors surgery many years ago.
Maude took to her in a big way
Whenever we went into club she would always make a fuss,,getting me to buy all the tickets and raffles,,never ever asking my wife for cash,only me
When i enquired why,,Maude would answer back,,your the lout on the bus (me !!!) Just cause i would start the singing
Your wife ,,however always gives me an early appointment !!!!!
Maude,,gone but never forgotten
Victor

One Day
18-11-2013, 01:26 PM
Aye, she had a way about her!

She grassed me for smoking on the bus and still remainded me about it 30 years later

Stantons Angel
18-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Too true, my Dad was a Hearts supporter, so I relied on a neighbour, who was a hibs steward to take me to the home games when I was very young. I was pretty street wise and soon made it on my own and not long after that I was allowed to travel and it was with Mrs Mac. I remember going to Liverpool as a 13 year old and heading straight to school when we got back on the Wednesday morning.

I went to Liverpool with Maude too and we ended up in the Liverpool supporters club with Maude and her pal Mrs Currie after the game.

When it was time to go i had to go and look for them around the club and low and behold found them on top of a table in the club lounge singing Hibs songs with the Liverpool supporters!

I had to set off for work as soon as we returned that morning too. Ah the memories!

Iggy Pope
18-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Here is a scanned copy of the photo for those interested. Apologies for the quality.

I hope Maureen and her pal are still Hibbies.

madhibby
18-11-2013, 07:36 PM
I used to travel with the Hawkhill branch and the legendary Maude.

As others have referred to parents only let me travel because Maude kept order. I was a quiet reserved lad and never joined in the singing on the bus abusing Mrs Mac!

I do remember Maureen and her dad Tom who got of the bus early on the way back - was it somewhere near the Maybury roundabout - it was well out West Edinburgh. Like others I wonder what Maureen is doing now?

I lived in reasonably posh Bruntsfield so it was a bit of a trail for every away game having to get down to outside the "clubhouse" to get the bus and you had to sell these bingo tickets every week.

Away games/trips I particularly remember were:

going to Leeds for the 0-0 game where Tony Higgins was brilliant and Hibs fans taking over the Leeds supporter club
buses run to Hampden for Scotland England games - I remember a 0-0 game where there were around 140,000 there
in the summer a bus being run to Ayr where we played football/went to the shows - no Hibs game on these trips!

FranckSuzy
18-11-2013, 07:43 PM
My friend Michelle and I used to regularly get the Hawkhill bus in the 80's, along with her Dad, Davie Durie and her brother, David Durie :greengrin Good times :agree:

Stantons Angel
18-11-2013, 07:58 PM
I used to travel with the Hawkhill branch and the legendary Maude.

As others have referred to parents only let me travel because Maude kept order. I was a quiet reserved lad and never joined in the singing on the bus abusing Mrs Mac!

I do remember Maureen and her dad Tom who got of the bus early on the way back - was it somewhere near the Maybury roundabout - it was well out West Edinburgh. Like others I wonder what Maureen is doing now?

I lived in reasonably posh Bruntsfield so it was a bit of a trail for every away game having to get down to outside the "clubhouse" to get the bus and you had to sell these bingo tickets every week.

Away games/trips I particularly remember were:

going to Leeds for the 0-0 game where Tony Higgins was brilliant and Hibs fans taking over the Leeds supporter club
buses run to Hampden for Scotland England games - I remember a 0-0 game where there were around 140,000 there
in the summer a bus being run to Ayr where we played football/went to the shows - no Hibs game on these trips!

Those games you mention bring back all the memories right enough The Leeds supporters club was mobbed to the limit before and after the game. How Tony didnt score that night i dont know!

That Scotland v England game was the biggest crown that id been in at a game and i spent most of the game standing on tin cans so i could see!

I have pictures somewhere around of the guys playing football on Ayr beach and beside the bus before we came home, the hotel we had tea in was very nice too. she went to a lot of trouble to make sure everyone had a good day.

hibby_1875
18-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Here is a scanned copy of the photo for those interested. Apologies for the quality.

Oh how bizarre ... Miss Mayworth was my primary school teacher. She was my favourite teacher but I don't remember knowing she was a hibs fan :not worth

Stantons Angel
18-11-2013, 08:05 PM

That is Maureen Mayworth and Tina in the picture, i have no idea what happened to either of them and they may still be supporting Hibs but i cant confirm that.

Maureen MacAuley goes to games occasionally but works most saturdays, she is still in contact with my sister though.

Ray_
18-11-2013, 08:07 PM
I went to Liverpool with Maude too and we ended up in the Liverpool supporters club with Maude and her pal Mrs Currie after the game.

When it was time to go i had to go and look for them around the club and low and behold found them on top of a table in the club lounge singing Hibs songs with the Liverpool supporters!

I had to set off for work as soon as we returned that morning too. Ah the memories!

Yeah I was in there as well, great night, pool fans singing all the Hibs songs & we chanted H-I-B-E-R-N-I-A-N Hibernian, taken from the Liverpool fans that night, at the next hibs game.

Iggy Pope
18-11-2013, 08:09 PM
My friend Michelle and I used to regularly get the Hawkhill bus in the 80's, along with her Dad, Davie Durie and her brother, David Durie :greengrin Good times :agree:

There was a stronghold of young Hibs Ladies on the bus around about this time. There was a girl Lynn at the centre of much banter as I recall?

FranckSuzy
18-11-2013, 08:12 PM
There was a stronghold of young Hibs Ladies on the bus around about this time. There was a girl Lynn at the centre of much banter as I recall?

I honestly can't remember much about the trips, apart from selling the pontoon tickets :greengrin I think we were quite shy though as we were only about 12 or 13 then :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-11-2013, 08:13 PM

Dangerous ground ahead! :dunno:

Stantons Angel
18-11-2013, 08:16 PM

I think this might have been young lynn pollock who travelled during the 80s with Hawkhill. She is still supporting Hibs and is a season ticket holder with her sons now.

Iggy Pope
18-11-2013, 08:17 PM
That is Maureen Mayworth and Tina in the picture, i have no idea what happened to either of them and they may still be supporting Hibs but i cant confirm that.

Maureen MacAuley goes to games occasionally but works most saturdays, she is still in contact with my sister though.

I have no idea how Maureen MacAuley got into the thread but I am glad she is a Hibby.

The EEN had her down as Mayworth and that was the name, along with her dad, that I remembered from the bus.

clerriehibs
18-11-2013, 08:18 PM
Out of interest, which of the clubs still regularly run a bus?

Iggy Pope
18-11-2013, 08:18 PM
Dangerous ground ahead! :dunno:

Probably. Times were never safe!

Stantons Angel
18-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Yeah I was in there as well, great night, pool fans singing all the Hibs songs & we chanted H-I-B-E-R-N-I-A-N Hibernian, taken from the Liverpool fans that night, at the next hibs game.

The welcome we got from the Liverpool supporters was brilliant that night. We used to do exchange visits to each others supporters clubs for a few years after that night.

We were there again when we played them in 1975 and they couldnt have been better to us, apart from Toshack and his goals!

Stantons Angel
18-11-2013, 08:23 PM
Out of interest, which of the clubs still regularly run a bus?

I may be wrong here but i think Carlton is the only regular bus run from the clubrooms now.

Southern and Stanton along with Hawkhill run buses to the bigger games but there a newer branches that i cant be sure of that may also run regular buses to away games.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Probably. Times were never safe!

Wouldnae know! I was just an innocent young man in those days! :agree:

Stantons Angel
18-11-2013, 08:25 PM
I have no idea how Maureen MacAuley got into the thread but I am glad she is a Hibby.

The EEN had her down as Mayworth and that was the name, along with her dad, that I remembered from the bus.

Well you stirred up a few memories from travellers on Maudes bus that brought up many pleasant memories. Thank you.

FranckSuzy
18-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Does anyone remember Jimmy Gibb and his son Gary that travelled? I work with Jimmy now and he assures me he was the original 'Grumpy Gibby' of the fanzine fame :greengrin Mind you, he tried to convince me that I'd 'bagged off' with Gary back in the day as well :lips seal

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-11-2013, 08:56 PM
The veil of decency on that bus is beginning to drop! :-)

Jonnyboy
18-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Does anyone remember Jimmy Gibb and his son Gary that travelled? I work with Jimmy now and he assures me he was the original 'Grumpy Gibby' of the fanzine fame :greengrin Mind you, he tried to convince me that I'd 'bagged off' with Gary back in the day as well :lips seal

Tell him to cut out the porkies as there is and always will be one Grumpy Gibby the North Stand Hibbie and it ain't him :greengrin

FranckSuzy
18-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Tell him to cut out the porkies as there is and always will be one Grumpy Gibby the North Stand Hibbie and it ain't him :greengrin

Will do :aok: That'll shut him up (for a while :greengrin)!

madhibby
18-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Those games you mention bring back all the memories right enough The Leeds supporters club was mobbed to the limit before and after the game. How Tony didnt score that night i dont know!

That Scotland v England game was the biggest crown that id been in at a game and i spent most of the game standing on tin cans so i could see!

I have pictures somewhere around of the guys playing football on Ayr beach and beside the bus before we came home, the hotel we had tea in was very nice too. she went to a lot of trouble to make sure everyone had a good day.

A few other early 70's Hawkhill branch memories:

going all the way down to Middlesbrough for a pre season friendly that we lost 4-2, I think we were 4-0 down at once stage and then being in a night club in Middlesbrough after the game - i think it was called Gaskins

being on the bus for both the 6-1 Scottish Cup defeat by Celtic and the 2-1 league cup victory over Celtic, pretty sure you just paid at the turnstile and both times we were all in what is now the North stand where it was pretty mixed with Hibs and Celtic fans. I do remember the bus being late getting back from the league cup victory (did we stop of somewhere for those over 18 to get a drink?) and we missed the Hibs team being applauded through Edinburgh.

I do remember the bus stopping a few times at Harthill (the place not the service station) and Rangers fans giving youngsters with green scarfs a hard time. Why we chose to stop there I'm not sure but it was generally to get chips.

on trips to Aberdeen did we stop at Stonehaven on both the way there and the way back?

I do remember some pretty offensive chants being sung by those up the back of the bus both abusing Mrs Mac and a chant about "walking down Pittodrie swinging my chain along came a man of a certain sectarian persuasion etc ............." I wont go on!

and the occasional away match when bus windows were smashed - I think it was generally matches in Glasgow but it did make for cold journeys back

WindyMiller
19-11-2013, 01:14 AM

That's Tina on the right, but I know she was also pretty friendly with Maureen MacAulay around 1972, I worked beside Maureen's dad at that time.

green.oracle
19-11-2013, 08:20 AM

Thanks for that HH. I can confirm the two ladies in the picture are Maureen Mayworth and Tina Neil. :thumbsup::thumbsup::tbgwa::flag: