PDA

View Full Version : Hibees singing Sunshine on Leith, the fame goes on......

Keith_M
16-11-2013, 06:08 PM
I just bought a Special Edition of the German Football Magazine '11 Freunde' and was amazed to see a two page article on the Hibs support's rendition of Sunshine on Leith. There was an interview with Craig and Charlie where they spoke about how proud they were about having their song become the Hibs anthem.

I've scanned both pages of the article (below) and here's a link (http://www.11freunde.de/video/flimmerkiste/282213?category=444) to the '11 Freunde' website where they show the 2007 LC Final rendition alongside the best fan displays from around the world. It's worth watching that video again right through to when they interview Steven Fletcher trackside to get a proper sense of just how loud and emotional it was.

Take a bow guys, you're world famous http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif

(Sorry for the poor quality)

11323 ------- 11324

p.s. I'll see if I can get the missus to do a translation of the article and post it up here. My translation would just be cr*p :wink:

Now Done: 11362

Billy Whizz
16-11-2013, 06:11 PM
I just bought a Special Edition of the German Football Magazine '11 Freunde' and was amazed to see a two page article on the Hibs support's rendition of Sunshine on Leith. There was an interview with Craig and Charlie where they spoke about how proud they were about having their song become the Hibs anthem.

I've scanned both pages of the article (below) and here's a link (http://www.11freunde.de/video/flimmerkiste/282213?category=444) to the '11 Freunde' website where they show the 2007 LC Final rendition alongside the best fan displays from around the world. It's worth watching that video again right through to when they interview Steven Fletcher trackside to get a proper sense of just how loud and emotional it was.

Take a bow guys, you're world famous http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif

11323 ------- 11324

p.s. I'll see if I can get the missus to do a translation of the article and post it up here. My translation would just be cr*p :wink:

Good spot, translation would help though

Phil D. Rolls
16-11-2013, 06:13 PM

11323 ------- 11324

What's German for, "the hairs on the back of my neck were standing up".

Keith_M
16-11-2013, 06:16 PM
What's German for, "the hairs on the back of my neck were standing up".

Auf der Rückseite meines Halses, die Haare standen nach oben

HibsNZ
16-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Not a "got un himmell" or "achtung" in sight!

bighairyfaeleith
16-11-2013, 07:33 PM
One of the greatest moments of my life was belting out sunshine on leith at the 2007 final. That will never leave me, every time I watch the videos I am emotional to say the least.

Great to see it being acknowledged by other football folks.

Tinribs
16-11-2013, 07:34 PM
I watch that on youtube at least every few weeks, and it still brings a wee tear to my eye :agree:

It may have been Tonys squad, but it was Johnnys team that day, and i will always have some manlove for him because of it :aok:

Liams
16-11-2013, 07:38 PM
I honestly loved that 2007 team

hibsbollah
16-11-2013, 07:42 PM
I watch that on youtube at least every few weeks, and it still brings a wee tear to my eye :agree:

It may have been Tonys squad, but it was Johnnys team that day, and i will always have some manlove for him because of it :aok:

:agree: A great bit of youtubery. Im not a big dougie donnelly fan but he did what a good broadcaster should in moments like that; shut up and let the pictures tell the story.

Im shocked the magazine in question didnt mention the worldfamous scarftwirling displays of our impoverished neighbours? :dunno:

the_ginger_hibee
16-11-2013, 07:47 PM
:agree: A great bit of youtubery. Im not a big dougie donnelly fan but he did what a good broadcaster should in moments like that; shut up and let the pictures tell the story.

Im shocked the magazine in question didnt mention the worldfamous scarftwirling displays of our impoverished neighbours? :dunno:

Still bitter about losing the war to them.

Good find there! Nice to have some international recognition and finally some praise for the Hibees in the media (albeit the German media!) :flag:

CB_NO3
16-11-2013, 08:19 PM
Got to give the BBC credit for that day. The footage is excellent. I love the bit when the BBC pundit (I think its Gordon Smith) says "lets just sit back for a moment and watch the Hibs fans sing the Hibs anthem" or something along those lines.

H13BYM
16-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Dougie Donnelly wasn't it,

wazoo1875
16-11-2013, 08:33 PM
I heard colin murray on talksport a couple of months ago telling his listeners to google it and watch. Said it was one of the best fan moments ever!!

Springbank
16-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Glory day.

There will be more!

SkintHibby
16-11-2013, 09:01 PM
My pal is a huge Celtic fan and thinks SOL blows any anthem his mob sing out the water!:agree:

Tinribs
16-11-2013, 09:06 PM
My pal is a huge Celtic fan and thinks SOL blows any anthem his mob sing out the water!:agree:

Nice to hear about a Tic fan with insight, they do after all sing another clubs pop 'Anthem' :greengrin

Golden Bear
16-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Got to give the BBC credit for that day. The footage is excellent. I love the bit when the BBC punfudit (I think its Gordon Smith) says "lets just sit back for a moment and watch the Hibs fans sing the Hibs anthem" or something along those lines.

I can only imagine the emotions it stirs in JC as he lost his Dad in the lead up to the final.

Weststandwanab
16-11-2013, 09:24 PM
One of the greatest moments of my life was belting out sunshine on leith at the 2007 final. That will never leave me, every time I watch the videos I am emotional to say the least.

Great to see it being acknowledged by other football folks. Me 2

It may have been Tonys squad, but it was Johnnys team that day, and i will always have some manlove for him because of it :aok: Me 3

I heard colin murray on talksport a couple of months ago telling his listeners to google it and watch. Said it was one of the best fan moments ever!! I heard that too

Nice to hear about a Tic fan with insight, they do after all sing another clubs pop 'Anthem' :greengrin They do.

hibb1
16-11-2013, 09:33 PM

Great to see it being acknowledged by other football folks.

:agree: there are some days in your life that are special and stay with you forever this is one of mine:flag:im not ashamed to say i cried while belting it out

Johnny Clash
16-11-2013, 10:09 PM

11323 ------- 11324

Great post.

Does anyone know the very first time SoL was played and sung by the support at Easter Road?

FranckSuzy
16-11-2013, 10:45 PM
Great find :agree:. Pat Nevin advised at one of the Dnipro dinners that it was he who said to the Producer to cut to the crowd and show SoL being sung as it was so magnificent :thumbsup:

Billy
16-11-2013, 10:46 PM

Only because Pat Nevin told him to!! If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have that footage for memory. :thumbsup:

The Harp Awakes
16-11-2013, 10:46 PM
What a team, what a day, what a performance. Imagine the scenes if we ever win the Scottish Cup Final again.

Onceinawhile
16-11-2013, 10:47 PM
Great post.

Does anyone know the very first time SoL was played and sung by the support at Easter Road?

I remember my dad (linlithgowhibee) had a record from the hands off hibs campaign and I'm sure it had glory glory on one side and sunshine on leith on the other, as well as another song on each side.

Im sure the record cover had a picture from the hoh rally on it. Does anyone else remember that?

I realise that doesn't actually answer the questions, but I would assume that's where the link comes from. First time I remember it is aek at home.

Billy
16-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Great find :agree:. Pat Nevin advised at one of the Dnipro dinners that it was he who said to the Producer to cut to the crowd and show SoL being sung as it was so magnificent :thumbsup:

Great minds S :greengrin

FranckSuzy
16-11-2013, 11:21 PM
Great minds S :greengrin

:thumbsup:

hibsbollah
16-11-2013, 11:29 PM
I always suspected such a piece of good sense was beyond Dougie Donnelly :greengrin

Nando™
16-11-2013, 11:45 PM
First game I ever heard it was Athens at Easter Road.

I didn't even know the words :(

jamieross
17-11-2013, 02:48 AM
A quick google translate on the link throws up this little beauty.

"Who does not get goosebumps on this song is either dead or has held a fist-sized stone heart in the chest." :aok:

Billy Whizz
17-11-2013, 07:47 AM
Watching that again, it really hurts that we have so few of these sort of days

weonlywon6-2
17-11-2013, 07:56 AM
Sunshine on Leith was my first waltz at my Wedding in 95

Still the best song ever:thumbsup:

Galahibby
17-11-2013, 08:39 AM
I remember my dad (linlithgowhibee) had a record from the hands off hibs campaign and I'm sure it had glory glory on one side and sunshine on leith on the other, as well as another song on each side.

Im sure the record cover had a picture from the hoh rally on it. Does anyone else remember that?

I realise that doesn't actually answer the questions, but I would assume that's where the link comes from. First time I remember it is aek at home.

I've got that in the attic. Got nothing to play it on now!

PapillonVert
17-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Great post.

AEK Athens home leg? 2001.

Hibby D
17-11-2013, 09:30 AM
I can only imagine the emotions it stirs in JC as he lost his Dad in the lead up to the final.

:agree: yup 11th January - same day my Hibs supporting Mum died. I cried the same tears as JC that day and still struggle to watch it. There's a moment when the camera is following him and there's just the slightest change in his facial expression. You just know it's taking every ounce of strength for him to keep focussing and enjoying what's just been achieved, rather than on the overwhelming sadness of not having his Dad there to share it with him.

A beautiful and very poignant celebration and one I was so so proud to be a part of. Great OP :thumbsup:

Borderhibbie76
17-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Its the song that binds us hibees and makes us the special football club that we are!! Im confident TB and MM will bring us some special days like 2007 and rid the club of some of the imposters currently masquerading as a 1st team. Some of them truly dont deserve to be playing for the fsmous Edinburgh Hibees!!!

nribs
17-11-2013, 09:54 AM
AEK Athens home leg? 2001. sure I remember singing it weeks before against Hearts at Easter Road. Could be wrong though

brian6-2
17-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Great post.

IIRC Just after the HOH campaign.

Phil D. Rolls
17-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Anybody ever been stuck in front of someone that: doesn't know the words; can't keep time; sings it out of tune?

You've probably been sitting in front of me.:greengrin

Hibrandenburg
17-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Auf der Rückseite meines Halses, die Haare standen nach oben

Yeah, best let the Mrs do the translation Keith!

:duck:

EH6 Hibby
17-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Anybody ever been stuck in front of someone that: doesn't know the words; can't keep time; sings it out of tune?

You've probably been sitting in front of me.:greengrin

No but I have been stood in front of Craig or Charlie Reid at least 3 times while the crowd has started singing it at Easter Road. Oddly enough I didn't join in on those occasions.

Phil D. Rolls
17-11-2013, 11:50 AM
No but I have been stood in front of Craig or Charlie Reid at least 3 times while the crowd has started singing it at Easter Road. Oddly enough I didn't join in on those occasions.

Did they know the words?

Keith_M
17-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Yeah, best let the Mrs do the translation Keith!

:duck:

That's a good example of why I suggested it :greengrin

Or, maybe you would care to translate?

:hmmm:

Hibercelona
17-11-2013, 02:41 PM
The first part in the article translated.

"Craig and Charlie Reid, their composition "Sunshine on Leith" is worn, melancholy and, with all due respect, almost a bit cheesy."

:faf:

Keith_M
17-11-2013, 03:18 PM
The first part in the article translated.

"Craig and Charlie Reid, their composition "Sunshine on Leith" is worn, melancholy and, with all due respect, almost a bit cheesy."

:faf:

He didn't say cheesy, he said kitsch, which translates as.... well.... kitsch

Craig objected but Charlie said "but you ARE kitsch"

:greengrin

They also pointed out to the interviewer that Hibs were the first "World Champions", when they beat Preston North End.

Hibercelona
17-11-2013, 03:26 PM
He didn't say cheesy, he said kitsch, which translates as.... well.... kitsch

Craig objected but Charlie said "but you ARE kitsch"

They also pointed out to the interviewer that Hibs were the first "World Champions", when they beat Preston North End.

Kitsch can mean cheesy/tacky in German. :wink:

Have tried to translate on, but it seems to get a bit more puzzling as I go on.

Anybody on here fluent in German who would be kind enough to translate the article?

HiBremian
17-11-2013, 04:07 PM

11323 ------- 11324

Great find! Back in the B.R.D. on wednesday, straight to the newsagents for a copy when I get off the train :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Keith_M
17-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Great find! Back in the B.R.D. on wednesday, straight to the newsagents for a copy when I get off the train :-)

Maybe you'd like to provide a full translation while you're at it. My missus has so far declined, but I'm working on it :wink:

p.s. It's '11Freunde Spezial (04), Fussball + Pop' , not the regular edition.

Hibrandenburg
17-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Maybe you'd like to provide a full translation while you're at it. My missus has so far declined, but I'm working on it :wink:

I'll give it a go when I'm back at a real PC tomorrow. I've managed to pick up a wee bit of German the last couple of years.

HibbyRod
17-11-2013, 05:05 PM
I was 2 seats away from one of the Proclaimers that day.

He was crying his eyes out at the end, with all his Hibs footie songs being belted out! ....... Including me and my party at the game! :greengrin

HiBremian
17-11-2013, 06:30 PM

I'd probably have to depend on the missus too. Got a few hours on the train from Frankfurt to Bremen, so maybe I'll work on her then (if I get the special edition in Frankfurt ;-) )

CH-ibbie
17-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Hm, first time in ages i thought i won't buy the latest edition of 11 Freunde and what happens.......? Mother tongue is German but i fear I won't find time for a translation over the next few days. Should there not be a translation by Mrs X till next Friday, I'll make an effort....:wink:

EH6 Hibby
17-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Did they know the words?

I don't know, I was too intimidated to turn round and look. :greengrin:

Johnny Clash
18-11-2013, 01:57 PM
sure I remember singing it weeks before against Hearts at Easter Road. Could be wrong though

Yeh, I thought we had sung it before the AEK game too but I wasn't sure.

Talking of which, is there any footage of the AEK version? The video produced of the game ridiculously misses any footage (presumably they didn't want to pay royalties?) but thecameras must have filmed it, surely?

GraniteCityHibs
18-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Sunshine on Leith was my first waltz at my Wedding in 95

Still the best song ever:thumbsup:

Same here (although I was only 11 in 1995 so mine was 2008) :greengrin

I got a lot of love from all my mates for that (all Celtic, Aberdeen, Rangers fans too).

Also, I get it a lot from the Aberdeen fans about how they wish they had a song like that to belt out. the phrse 'best football anthem there is' has floated around a few times.

I belted it out in a hotel in Blackpool when we were on a stagger where we took control of the sound system and a couple of Scousers couldn't get enough of it.

We still shout: 'Diss bih's PRROPER EEEMOTIONAL!'

They then played YNWA and were thrown out by the owner who admitted later that he just hated scousers.

Seveno
18-11-2013, 05:23 PM
:agree: yup 11th January - same day my Hibs supporting Mum died. I cried the same tears as JC that day and still struggle to watch it. There's a moment when the camera is following him and there's just the slightest change in his facial expression. You just know it's taking every ounce of strength for him to keep focussing and enjoying what's just been achieved, rather than on the overwhelming sadness of not having his Dad there to share it with him.

A beautiful and very poignant celebration and one I was so so proud to be a part of. Great OP :thumbsup:

Coming from a Hibs family with both my parents in the 'ER in the sky', your post brought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye.

Keith_M
18-11-2013, 05:32 PM
The Missus is now working on the translation. Stay tuned.....

Unless one of our (proper) German speakers gets there first, of course.

Viel spaß!

Hibrandenburg
18-11-2013, 05:43 PM

Viel spaß!

Did you have to use your Wally Toy as compensation?

Keith_M
18-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Did you have to use your Wally Toy as compensation?

It's spelt 'Toi' (as you well know)........ I'll just go and suggest it to her.

NAE NOOKIE
18-11-2013, 05:56 PM
I've got a Yam acquaintance who loves SOL ... been to a couple of Hibby flavoured dos where it was played and he cant wait to join in with the singing. Its not even him being sarcastic either ... just loves the song.

Nice to see us getting a bit of recognition on the continent though ..... As I said after the Scottish Cup final, if we cant be respected on the pitch we can at least try to be respected off it as decent up for it supporters.

:tbgwa:

NRW_Hibbie
18-11-2013, 08:25 PM

Viel spaß!

Did you show her the picture of Pele on page 30? Jesus wept!

Stax
18-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Mixed emotions that day, went to the game with my wife's grandad. He hadn't been to a game for years, needless to say we had a great day but on the way home on the train, he said he didn't "feel to clever"...He'd actually had a heart attack...Ambulance called & thankfully full recovery made. He still raves about the atmosphere at the game to this day & the 4 days in hospital afterwards as a "wee blip" on the day!

Liberal Hibby
18-11-2013, 10:42 PM
Yeh, I thought we had sung it before the AEK game too but I wasn't sure.

The album was released in 1988 - 13 years before the AEK game. I don't remember it being sung by the fans before then (but I've been away from Scotland since 1990). But I certainly remember it being played on the tannoy at ER after a derby that we'd won. I'm pretty sure Aiden Smith makes reference to the 'My heart was broken' line somewhere too.

I'd suspect it has been played at ER since around 1989/90.

edinburghhibee
19-11-2013, 12:21 AM
I think I've told this story about 10 times on here but who cares... When we played elfsborg in the intertoto I took my ex girlfriends dad, who was Swedish, to the dubliner after we had been beat. Late into the night the place was still bouncing and packed with hibees and locals SOL came on and the place sang their hearts out to this song. I turned around to Lennart near the end and the man was in floods of tears. Said its the most beautiful song he'd ever heard. I got him the album shortly after and he still plays it to this day.

It is 100% the greatest football anthem in the world take a bow Charlie and Craig for a wonderful song!!

California-Hibs
19-11-2013, 04:29 AM
Simply my best moment supporting Hibs, and actually right up there with most of the best moments I've experienced in life. Sheer passion and emotion. I can only imagine just what it will be like when we eventually win the Scottish Cup and THAT song start's playing over the tannoy. Goosebumps just thinking about it!

EdinMike
19-11-2013, 08:07 AM
I actually enjoy this acoustic version, hope the link works on this tablet !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1C7WKNAcf8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Leishy1995
19-11-2013, 10:37 AM
I genuinely took a hearts supporting mate to the Malmo game and he loves singing Sol. He also loves most Hibs songs and probably had a better day than most of us.

Keith_M
20-11-2013, 06:22 PM
The Missus has finally done a translation.

Also added to the first page.

hibbymick
20-11-2013, 06:47 PM
I genuinely took a hearts supporting mate to the Malmo game and he loves singing Sol. He also loves most Hibs songs and probably had a better day than most of us.

Its good to see a jambo thinking for himself. I've no met one yet who admits to liking them. It's a pied piper scenario. It's like me saying I don't like Ronnie Corbett :cb

FranckSuzy
20-11-2013, 10:23 PM

Thanks very much for this, to you and your wife. It's a great read :thumbsup:

hibsbollah
21-11-2013, 08:37 AM

Im offended by that translation :grr: ive got a tattoo, but im not 'bullnecked'

Keith_M
21-11-2013, 06:24 PM

You're welcome. I'll tell here you said thanks :greengrin

Im offended by that translation :grr: ive got a tattoo, but im not 'bullnecked'

I took that as a compliment :wink:

Higgy115
21-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Jambo mate was in London last week and during cab ride was chatting to driver who was West Ham fan, got talking about football hooligans and driver admitted he was involved with casuals in his day. Started talking about Scottish football and after brief chat about Rangers going bust, driver said he absolutely loved the Hibees SOL song, waxing lyrical about it caused my mate to get out taxi a mile earlier to avoid the drivers appreciation for it......

Craig_in_Prague
21-11-2013, 06:54 PM
We should have clips like that on screens at EM etc, if that doesnt inspire players then nothing will.

What an incredible match from Hibs & the singing topped it all off perfectly. A day that might never be trumped.

HiBremian
21-11-2013, 09:03 PM

Aye, big thanks to mrs keekaboo from me too. Got a copy in Frankfurt Hbf last night on the way home, so mighty chuffed.

I did try gettin through the German and looks like I got about 50%, which is a lot better than when I failed O level German :greengrin

FifeHibernian
21-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Watching that again, it really hurts that we have so few of these sort of days
One day in the not to distant future we'll have them again. No worries ;)

Scott Allan Key
21-11-2013, 10:44 PM
Danke schoen, Herr und Frau Keekaboo. Das Famous Funf sind nicht scheisse, Dirk. Du trollst! Guten Nacht, Ross Weiss Essen.

Sir David Gray
21-11-2013, 11:52 PM
Possibly the best day of my life so far.

Feed McGraw
18-03-2020, 11:41 AM
Great post.

Does anyone know the very first time SoL was played and sung by the support at Easter Road? I`m pretty sure it was the "De La Cruz derby".

The 90+2
18-03-2020, 11:57 AM
I`m pretty sure it was the "De La Cruz derby".

Half time Athens was before that.

Feed McGraw
18-03-2020, 12:03 PM
Half time Athens was before that. Yeah, you`re right, of course it was. The two games were only a few weeks apart but it was the Athens game. Btw, I`ve only just realised how old this thread is ! :greengrin

Keith_M
18-03-2020, 05:45 PM
Yeah, you`re right, of course it was. The two games were only a few weeks apart but it was the Athens game. Btw, I`ve only just realised how old this thread is ! :greengrin

I take it you followed the link from the Thirteen Years Ago Today, thread.

Feed McGraw
18-03-2020, 05:53 PM
I take it you followed the link from the Thirteen Years Ago Today, thread.

:thumbsup: Ah right, so that`s how it happened !! I`d forgotten I was on that thread :greengrin .

Keith_M
18-03-2020, 06:05 PM
Ah right, so that`s how it happened !! I`d forgotten I was on that thread :greengrin .

Auld age, it's a terrible thing

:wink:

Feed McGraw
18-03-2020, 06:32 PM
Auld age, it's a terrible thing

:wink: 64 in a few weeks Keith, I am having a few of these "moments". :greengrin

JeMeSouviens
18-03-2020, 06:59 PM
Possibly the best day of my life so far.

I’m guessing you’ve had better since. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
18-03-2020, 08:21 PM
I’m guessing you’ve had better since. :greengrin

That day will continue to be the best day of my life unless I witness the birth of my child.

It's the only thing that could top it.

EI255
18-03-2020, 08:28 PM
Saw it on the news.

Well done everyone. Fantastic [emoji16] [emoji16] [emoji16]

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

hibby rae
18-03-2020, 09:00 PM
Half time Athens was before that.

I remember it playing half time at the game where Dundee Utd relegated us. But surely the first time was the Hands off Hibs rally?

Peevemor
18-03-2020, 09:05 PM
I remember it playing half time at the game where Dundee Utd relegated us. But surely the first time was the Hands off Hibs rally?No. We weren't singing it then.

The Proclaimers sang You'll Never Walk Alone at the rally.

Liberal Hibby
18-03-2020, 09:09 PM
I remember it playing half time at the game where Dundee Utd relegated us. But surely the first time was the Hands off Hibs rally?

I remember it being played as we left the old east terrace at the end of rare derby win probably at the very end of the 1980s - the album was released in 1988.

But then my memory isn't what it used to be...

monktonharp
19-03-2020, 12:31 AM
I met up with a few auld workmates a couple of years ago at the Bierfest thingy in Princes Street gardens, and the majority were from Bathgate and East Glasgow.3 of them were Celtic fans, and did say that listening to SOL made the hairs on the back o' neck stand up! all in the company were remarking on it. I felt so pwoud!

franks
20-03-2020, 09:49 AM
I met up with a few auld workmates a couple of years ago at the Bierfest thingy in Princes Street gardens, and the majority were from Bathgate and East Glasgow.3 of them were Celtic fans, and did say that listening to SOL made the hairs on the back o' neck stand up! all in the company were remarking on it. I felt so pwoud!

Thank heavens it has Leith in the lyrics or they'd have pinched by now, it's what they do.