PDA

View Full Version : TB & MM - direct style?

hibbysam
16-11-2013, 11:59 AM
I'm in the 'for' camp at the moment regards these two and and very happy with the appointment.

What I would like to ask is that i am very good friends with one of our own u20's players. Now at the game the other night malpas was openly telling the players to go long and 'turn' the defenders as they hate being turned whereas James has been getting his teams to play from the back... Just wondered what all the 'I want hibs to play free flowing football' brigade thought of this?

O'Rourke3
16-11-2013, 12:05 PM
I too am in the "For" camp. Sounds like they want the u20's to play like the first team so there's less change stepping up in how the game is played. TBF, the first team are miles away from playing it on the ground quickly with loads of movement, but we can hope once the ship's steadied that's the aim.....

Golden Bear
16-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Like Fenlon, I'll give it a year before I make any judgement.

brian6-2
16-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Cant see why anyone would be against the idea now its all finalised. The deals done, get behind the team.

Was all for it as soon as it was announced we were after him.

HibeeMG
16-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Turning the defenders doesn't mean aimlessly punting it up the park though. You can play through balls to turn defenders or play aimed balls over their heads. It's far more effective than what we've been doing.

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-11-2013, 12:49 PM
if the ball goes to a player, that is surely a pass albeit a long pass? If the ball goes into an area that the forward knows he has to run into, then that is an attack? Whichever way you peel and boil it, if we end up with a first team that play the type of football that the ICT team did when they dismantled us last week without breaking a bead of sweat, then I will be more than happy.

hfc rd
16-11-2013, 12:54 PM
if the ball goes to a player, that is surely a pass albeit a long pass? If the ball goes into an area that the forward knows he has to run into, then that is an attack? Whichever way you peel and boil it, if we end up with a first team that play the type of football that the ICT team did when they dismantled us last week without breaking a bead of sweat, then I will be more than happy.

This. Like you said, if Butcher has us playing the same way ICT played under him then that will certainly be fine with me. Probably the best team I've seen at ER this season other than Malmo.

RIP Bestie
16-11-2013, 12:59 PM
I'm in the 'for' camp at the moment regards these two and and very happy with the appointment.

What I would like to ask is that i am very good friends with one of our own u20's players. Now at the game the other night malpas was openly telling the players to go long and 'turn' the defenders as they hate being turned whereas James has been getting his teams to play from the back... Just wondered what all the 'I want hibs to play free flowing football' brigade thought of this?
In my opinion the main objective is to start winning games. That for me can come in whatever form it takes for now. Long term I would like to see us build a team that's as good to watch as the Tornadoes, Mcleish's team or Mowbrey's. Given the personnel we have on the playing staff just now, that ain't going to happen anytime soon.
we need to get into a position where other teams are not coming to ER and rolling us over. We need to toughen up and win games and stop people seeing us as an easy touch. Teams need to be worried about coming here. It's about building the foundations for the next stage. Two home wins in a year is disgraceful and shows how soft we are.

blackpoolhibs
16-11-2013, 01:09 PM
The slow slow slow slow slow tactics, have not worked. So if we can start to play the game in the oppositions half, and start turning defenders and creating chances, and score some goals then it can only add some excitement.

When he's weaved his magic in January and again in the summer, we should hopefully see an improvement on style.

Like Fenlon, he will get a reasonable amount of time to give us a decent team to watch.

matty_f
16-11-2013, 02:27 PM
I think if we are accepting that we want Hibs to play better, then we're going to have to accept that butcher and malpas will want to do things their way.

If that means changing the style in one under 20's game then so be it.
There hasn't been anything unattractive about Inverness' style of play so this doesn't concern me in any way, shape, or form.

Pretty Boy
16-11-2013, 02:40 PM
I'll take trying to turn a defender ahead of sideways pass, sideways pass, 2 steps forward, cut inside, backwards pass, sideways pass, back to the keeper, hoooooooof that was Fenlons trademark.

Northern Hibby
16-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Changing a tactic during a game? Now that's progress right there!!

PapillonVert
16-11-2013, 04:31 PM

So, he was telling the under-20s to do this for one particular game? Could be he saw this as a suitable tactic against that particular team.

And we are to extrapolate from this that this is his default position?

Keith_M
16-11-2013, 04:39 PM
This so called 'Hibs Way and the word 'Flair' have been nothing more than a rod for the back of the Hibs team. Once in a generation a Hibs side will play genuine with Flair, whereas the norm is anything but.

I also think there is an unfortunate link in some people's minds between being more direct and the the term Hoofball. Being direct does not mean constantly lumping the ball up the the centre forward. I really don't mind direct football, as it is much more exciting than watching a team pass the ball nervously around the middle of the park then bottle it and pass it back to the goalie.

HibeeMG
16-11-2013, 04:40 PM
So, he was telling the under-20s to do this for one particular game? Could be he saw this as a suitable tactic against that particular team.

And we are to extrapolate from this that this is his default position?

We have been used to managers/coaches with only one game plan so it was an easy mistake to make.

Hiber-nation
16-11-2013, 05:54 PM
At the moment all I want to see is attacking football. I definitely don't want to see us as a one dimensional hump it down the channels team but there's a happy medium which involves mixing it up.

Northernhibee
16-11-2013, 06:12 PM
If we're more likely to get shots on goal and goals from going direct then surely that's the best tactic to use?

RIP Bestie
16-11-2013, 06:24 PM
If we're more likely to get shots on goal and goals from going direct then surely that's the best tactic to use?
One - Nil wins every week from now to the end of the season would do for me as a start. Get the winning mentality then you can start trying to dress it up.

stoneyburn hibs
16-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Turn the defenders, does this mean we may see Hibs players more in the oppositions half :woohoo:, yes please.

ronaldo7
16-11-2013, 08:49 PM

I think you might have missed the bit where he said "into the channels". If you put those words in here it might make sense.

Now at the game the other night malpas was openly telling the players to go long INTO THE CHANNELS and 'turn' the defenders as they hate being turned whereas James has been getting his teams to play from the back

RIP
16-11-2013, 10:35 PM
This so called 'Hibs Way and the word 'Flair' have been nothing more than a rod for the back of the Hibs team.

Two completely different things IMO Keith

Flair is a jibe fashioned by Yams

The Hibs Way is a set of players who love the club, play like a team, respect our traditions, are fit and well disciplined, give 100% and play attacking football

The only reason more Hibs teams don't fit that mould is because our management appears reluctant to give any steer to the incoming coach. As a result the product on the park constantly see saws between the different playing style preferences of every new team manager.

J-C
17-11-2013, 01:44 AM
Out of curiosity, how many goals or very nears goals have we as a team let in this past couple of years because other teams have popped the ball over the heads of our incredibly slow centre halfves ?? we've bemoaned other teams from exploiting our weaknesses, lets see our team do the same against others. For one thing it'll get our team on a forward footing instead of sideways and backwards.