PDA

View Full Version : Hibs vs. Butcher (as a player)

The Tubs
15-11-2013, 09:44 PM
Having a wee peeve in the hoose and looking for games in which big Tel played against us, I came across this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhYvMpScjpM

It's quite an interesting game for a 0-0, especially as it was also Lexo's first game in charge.

Personally speaking, I had the strip but I had only ever been to one Hibs game by this point and I think the only player I knew was Paul Kane - and mibbe Roughie.

Can anybody tell me why Blackley had got the sack?

rcarter1
15-11-2013, 09:54 PM
Having a wee peeve in the hoose and looking for games in which big Tel played against us, I came across this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhYvMpScjpM

It's quite an interesting game for a 0-0, especially as it was also Lexo's first game in charge.

Personally speaking, I had the strip but I had only ever been to one Hibs game by this point and I think the only player I knew was Paul Kane - and mibbe Roughie.

The shorts!! :tsk tsk:

The Tubs
15-11-2013, 09:56 PM
The shorts!! :tsk tsk:

Roughie's are barry! I'm sure Cooper's grabbing his hard-on over a feet kick at one point.

IberianHibernian
15-11-2013, 10:15 PM

Can anybody tell me why Blackley had got the sack?I can`t remember if Blackley was sacked or resigned but either way I think he was a good manager . In the previous seaon we reached the LC final , SC semi and 5th in the league but it seemed like a bad year because Hearts ( who`d been in our shadow for previous 15 years ) had one strangely good year . Stanton and Blackley both deserve far more credit than they got for their time at ER as managers . I was living in Spain at the time of the featured Hibs v Rangers match and remember being massively disappointed when Miller was appointed ( it was a crazy appointment that cost us a lot of money even though ironically we couldn`t afford to sack him till a decade later ) . 3 days later I saw Hibs in a friendly in Seville which would have been a memorial occasion for me but for Miller appointment .
Looking at video , pitch has a lot of grass for December in those days but is still obviously not as good as pitches now - players have it easy now in that respect . What a great player Beastie McCluskey was .

The Tubs
15-11-2013, 10:24 PM
I can`t remember if Blackley was sacked or resigned but either way I think he was a good manager . In the previous seaon we reached the LC final , SC semi and 5th in the league but it seemed like a bad year because Hearts ( who`d been in our shadow for previous 15 years ) had one strangely good year . Stanton and Blackley both deserve far more credit than they got for their time at ER as managers . I was living in Spain at the time of the featured Hibs v Rangers match and remember being massively disappointed when Miller was appointed ( it was a crazy appointment that cost us a lot of money even though ironically we couldn`t afford to sack him till a decade later ) . 3 days later I saw Hibs in a friendly in Seville which would have been a memorial occasion for me but for Miller appointment .
Looking at video , pitch has a lot of grass for December in those days but is still obviously not as good as pitches now - players have it easy now in that respect . What a great player Beastie McCluskey was .

Aye, McCluskey looked a player. I think I might have seen him once.

Your opnions on the changeover to Miller are very interesting; if it was such a costly appointment, why did we make it? As far as I'm aware we were penniless at the time.

Could you also tell me, when did Hibs play in Seville? I only live a few miles away!

As for more Butcher, check out this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJpOIwA1OcI What about his elbow on Cowan at 17:30!

IberianHibernian
15-11-2013, 10:33 PM
Aye, McCluskey looked a player. I think I might have seen him once.

Your opnions on the changeover to Miller are very interesting; if it was such a costly appointment, why did we make it? As far as I'm aware we were penniless at the time.

Could you also tell me, when did Hibs play in Seville? I only live a few miles away!

As for more Butcher, check out this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJpOIwA1OcI What about his elbow on Cowan at 17:30!We played Sevilla home and away in 1986 . In August at ER ( 2 v 1 for Sevilla ) and 2 v 0 for Sevilla in Seville in December . Both were very competitive friendlies - Kane was sent off in second match in off the ball incident that had probably started in August and I think ref finished August match early to calm things down . Jock Wallace was Sevilla boss or had been when friendlies were planned .

The Tubs
15-11-2013, 10:38 PM
We played Sevilla home and away in 1986 . In August at ER ( 2 v 1 for Sevilla ) and 2 v 0 for Sevilla in Seville in December . Both were very competitive friendlies - Kane was sent off in second match in off the ball incident that had probably started in August and I think ref finished August match early to calm things down . Jock Wallace was Sevilla boss or had been when friendlies were planned .

Cheers pal. I had never heard of these games.

I hope to visit Andalucia in the next few months.

allezsauzee
15-11-2013, 11:24 PM

I think mainly because the fans were chanting Blackley must go, Blackley must go, hello, hello

The Tubs
15-11-2013, 11:29 PM
I think mainly because the fans were chanting Blackley must go, Blackley must go, hello, hello

We shouted "Miller must go" for years and the ****** never left! Talking of chants, skip to 4:37 of this video, and you'll get our favourite corpse talking about sound finaicial management: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJpOIwA1OcI

The Tubs
15-11-2013, 11:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1g8YIftTbc&t=5m42s

Here's a wee link about Juice Terry's favourite talking about our new boss.

monktonharp
16-11-2013, 12:44 AM

Here's a wee link about Juice Terry's favourite talking about our new boss.that link you have provided, gives me the dry boak! Souness, whit a prick.talking up his club chairman, and guess what happened Mr Souness?:not worth

HKhibby
16-11-2013, 01:22 AM

Here's a wee link about Juice Terry's favourite talking about our new boss.

Ive watched all of this and remember it very well all these years back on TV, i had left Edinburgh and Scotland by then, and was living and working in London, although had been elsewhere as well, Gibraltar, Berlin, and Hong Kong (my current and long term home).

But going back to what i think the thread is about, I like Terry Butcher a lot, he is a no-nonsense type manager, who will say it like it is etc.. and have them training his way or nothing!...exactly what Hibs need!, i think he was a good powerful defender with height and always made himself available whoever he played for!

As for Souness, well a lot of people have different views about him, i liked him as a player, very enthusiastic and gave his all, yes he came accross a big head etc..but could help change a game, at Rangers? well again most outside Rangers hated him, myself in the very first days that he arrived there included!, especially after the first game at ER when he got sent off!, which i was at!

But one thing that Souness did was start to change Scottish Football!, from his very arrival into it, creating a new style of football etc.., and then the very big and famous signing of a high profile Catholic in Maurice Johnson to Rangers which made waves around the UK never mind Scotland or Glasgow!

For that i applaud Souness especially! he could not have cared less which religion or what you look like as long as you can do a job for his club!...which Mo Johnson did, again only seeing it on TV.

Souness was hounded out of Scottish Football by yes probably the media and the SFA, because he was different and did not do this religion thing or image thing and really could not care less about how the press saw him!

For this reason and this reason alone you will not see Souness manage in Scotland again, he does'nt need to, he is a multi millionaire!

Butcher is good friends with Souness, always has been, but i still think Butcher will jump ship to Rangers if they come calling, even if he says he anti the religion and bigotry thing, which he is!

But hopefully he will give us a couple of years of good football and win something before hand!

KWJ
16-11-2013, 03:19 AM
I get the impression TB dislikes rangers and Celtic as much as the average non OF fan. I'd be surprised if he jumped ship to them, think he likes the relatively quieter life.

IWasThere2016
16-11-2013, 05:16 AM
Great thread. Will watch the link later.

Like the earlier poster, I don't recall the Seville double-header either!

EskbankHibby
16-11-2013, 06:50 AM

Was Miller's first game in charge not against Falkirk? Remember my dad taking us through, memory must be betraying me.

Peevemor
16-11-2013, 07:32 AM
Was Miller's first game in charge not against Falkirk? Remember my dad taking us through, memory must be betraying me.

Definitely the 0-0 against the huns at ER.

O'Rourke3
16-11-2013, 10:21 AM

Cos we were rotten. No one wanted Pat Stanton or afterwards Sloop more than I did at the time but it wasn't working out, great players don't necessarily make great managers. I lost a lot of respect for JB, he'd fallen out with (ah memory's going now) Alan or Willie Irvine when Pat was in charge and he was still playing. Despite scoring goals for fun he refused to play him in the team. This was the template Potter used with Steven Fletcher some time later. Put himself before the team....

Great wedgie haircut from Kano tho....

Sproule Three
16-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by EskbankHibby

QUOTE=Peevemor;3809769]Definitely the 0-0 against the huns at ER.[/QUOTE]

Peevemor is right . I remember standing on the east terrace and a few people started to chant 'one Alex Miller " to be met with several shouts of ' there's 11 f$&&@in Alex Millers out there playing against us"
lexo would never shake of his Hun background

s.a.m
16-11-2013, 10:59 AM
We played Sevilla home and away in 1986 . In August at ER ( 2 v 1 for Sevilla ) and 2 v 0 for Sevilla in Seville in December . Both were very competitive friendlies - Kane was sent off in second match in off the ball incident that had probably started in August and I think ref finished August match early to calm things down . Jock Wallace was Sevilla boss or had been when friendlies were planned .

The home leg of that tie was my first Hibs game.

FranckSuzy
16-11-2013, 11:15 AM

I remember going to the home game. Did Mark Fulton not score or is my memory failing me? :greengrin