PDA

View Full Version : Rod's Appointments

Rivers Cuomo
14-11-2013, 10:45 PM
This isn't a draining rant from someone who's fell out with the bird, just an observation.

We blame our Uncle Rodders for so much, and in my opinion hes made a lot of mistakes but overall think we should be grateful to him for happily taking it in the neck for years from fans for being tight, while being the financial man he is, was surely forecasting the downfall of Rangers (RIP) and Hearts (fingers crossed) and saw that we were easily going the same way for overspending in the 90s and under McLeish, even though some would argue that paying hundreds of thousands is always worth it for players like Franck Sauzee, but then again, he is a one of a kind.

But the main point is, in Rod appointing managers, has he really made as many blunders as we think, or are we being led to that opinion by the biased west coast media who always love dividing & deriding Hibs?

Put yourself in his position, we will start PB (Post Bobby, cause that was apocalyptic, never forget how dull that football was, and how disliked he was).

Tony Mowbray - A complete unknown at the time, so fans rightly questioned this one, but if he came in to your office after years of the dour Bobby Williamson you would take notice. Played nice football and helped get the training center and youngsters developed.

John Collins - Can agree that everyone was collectively stroking over this one. Won a trophy. Not much else. Take him back in a second though :wink: The Terry Duckworth/David Wicks of Hibernian.

Mixu - Everyone was very happy with this one, was doing well in Finland and seemed to have good contacts (Mika Aaritalo?:wink:)

Yogi - What everyone thought he was gonna do for us (steel and a wee bit style, with commitment on the pitch) I reckon (hope) Terry Butcher is gonna do for us. So Rod aswell at the time was convinced and the fans, again were happy with this one.

Calderwood - Going to keep this brief or it will turn in to a full blown rant about the way the man abused the great honour of steering our old ship, but again at the time seemed to have good credentials and overall the fans were happy.

Fenlon - The lady you turn to in the Supermarket when you've lost your mum. Got us out of abject crisis, presided over embarrassments and progressively less and less turgid football and then back to more and more turgid football. At the time the board, along with the fans, just seemed hopeful. Overall id say it was a good safe pair of hands to drag us from drowning.

Terry Butcher - Hopefully we finally have our man. If Terry Butcher cant sort us out then that just proves to me that the problems lie deeper.

I do, however, believe we are in for a Mowbray style revolution, and hopefully relish the chance to give them one last pasting, hopefully the spit on their casket.

Just food for thought.

Hibbyradge
14-11-2013, 11:05 PM
This isn't a draining rant from someone who's fell out with the bird, just an observation.

We blame our Uncle Rodders for so much, and in my opinion hes made a lot of mistakes but overall think we should be grateful to him for happily taking it in the neck for years from fans for being tight, while being the financial man he is, was surely forecasting the downfall of Rangers (RIP) and Hearts (fingers crossed) and saw that we were easily going the same way for overspending in the 90s and under McLeish, even though some would argue that paying hundreds of thousands is always worth it for players like Franck Sauzee, but then again, he is a one of a kind.

But the main point is, in Rod appointing managers, has he really made as many blunders as we think, or are we being led to that opinion by the biased west coast media who always love dividing & deriding Hibs?

Put yourself in his position, we will start PB (Post Bobby, cause that was apocalyptic, never forget how dull that football was, and how disliked he was).

Tony Mowbray - A complete unknown at the time, so fans rightly questioned this one, but if he came in to your office after years of the dour Bobby Williamson you would take notice. Played nice football and helped get the training center and youngsters developed.

John Collins - Can agree that everyone was collectively stroking over this one. Won a trophy. Not much else. Take him back in a second though :wink: The Terry Duckworth/David Wicks of Hibernian.

Mixu - Everyone was very happy with this one, was doing well in Finland and seemed to have good contacts (Mika Aaritalo?:wink:)

Yogi - What everyone thought he was gonna do for us (steel and a wee bit style, with commitment on the pitch) I reckon (hope) Terry Butcher is gonna do for us. So Rod aswell at the time was convinced and the fans, again were happy with this one.

Calderwood - Going to keep this brief or it will turn in to a full blown rant about the way the man abused the great honour of steering our old ship, but again at the time seemed to have good credentials and overall the fans were happy.

Fenlon - The lady you turn to in the Supermarket when you've lost your mum. Got us out of abject crisis, presided over embarrassments and progressively less and less turgid football and then back to more and more turgid football. At the time the board, along with the fans, just seemed hopeful. Overall id say it was a good safe pair of hands to drag us from drowning.

Terry Butcher - Hopefully we finally have our man. If Terry Butcher cant sort us out then that just proves to me that the problems lie deeper.

I do, however, believe we are in for a Mowbray style revolution, and hopefully relish the chance to give them one last pasting, hopefully the spit on their casket.

Just food for thought.

I was happy with everyone of the managerial appointments and getting Mowbray was genius.

But Rod Petrie should have somehow known better than the majority of the fans.

That's what we don't pay him for.

Rivers Cuomo
14-11-2013, 11:11 PM
I was happy with everyone of the managerial appointments and getting Mowbray was genius.

But Rod Petrie should have somehow known better than the majority of the fans.

That's what we don't pay him for.

Yeah i was just pointing that out - we don't always know better guys.

Hibbyradge
14-11-2013, 11:12 PM
Yeah i was just pointing that out -

And I was agreeing :greengrin

greenlex
14-11-2013, 11:55 PM
When Calderwood was appointed we were screaming out for a safe pair of hands. A tried and tested manager because between Collins mixu and Yogi we had been set back about 5 years from where we were under Mowbray. Fenlon was also a mistake but actually better than the others IMO. Butcher is the right kind of appointment. This is the type of appointment that should have been made after Mowbray. Petrie was on the lucky side with Mowbrays appointment that it worked out so well. Managers with little top flight experience were not the answer after that but can see why he thought it might work having hit the jackpot with Mowbray.

RIP Bestie
15-11-2013, 12:14 AM

Just food for thought.
I totally agree with this. I understand that things have not worked out as hoped with the managers he has brought in but only Duffy, Sauzee, Hughes, Mixu and Calderwood were sacked. Williamson left for Plymouth and ended up an international manager, ok it was with Uganda but it was still international football and he done ok at Plymouth, McLeish has been successful elsewhere and has made a great living as a manager, as has Mowbray, Collins left out of principal and Fenlon probably left before he was pushed.
As Petrie said, every appointment was the right appointment at the time and I can't remember a lot of dissenting voices with any of the appointments when they were made, surprise at some but not dissenting.
It is very easy to criticise Petrie in hindsight when they have not worked out but I agree with him that they were all the right appointments when they were made. I bet he wishes, like the rest of us do, that we could have the luxury of knowing whether they are going to be successful or not. He, like us, can only hope for the best.

Jones28
15-11-2013, 12:27 AM
This will be Rods best appointment to date imo

Speedway
15-11-2013, 10:23 AM
He has a fitting for a bottle green velvet smoking jacket at 11 followed by lunch at Le Touqet. This afternoon he's having his tash trimmed at barbarellas and then it's knocking off early day as he has a date this evening with the smoking hot fillys from the Dallas Cowboys cheerleading squad.

Hibercelona
15-11-2013, 10:33 AM
I don't think Rodders gets any flack for being tight. I don't think we're quite as tight pursed as some seem to think we are.

I was also happy with most of the appointments made at the time they were made. But the fact that none of them really worked out too well, has to make you wonder if there are other issues that go beyond the manager, such as a lack of communication from RP and the board.

Sometimes I think we could have Mourinho as manager and things would still not work out.

RIP
15-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Ask anyone on Hibs.Net who has conducted a lot of recruitment over the years and they will tell you that getting the right person in role is a lot easier than getting a top performance out of them when in role. Rod should be judged not by who he brings to the club but how they deliver once they are here working under his chairmanship.

As a leader of an organisation a CEO or Executive Chairman must have a clear vision of where he wants the club to go, what style of football the customer base wants to see, what part youth development plays in that vision and so forth. To set clear targets for achievement of these goals. The coaching team need to buy into those goals and be willing to be measured for success against them.

From there forward it's about man management, coaching, mentoring, performance development, supporting them through the lean times and if they go off track from the vision, bringing them back on course. When the manager eventually leaves the organisation it should be to go on to better things, having improved in their time at the club.

At my local club, St Johnstone, that has been the model adopted by Geoff Brown and latterly son Steve as Chairman. Owen Coyle, Derek McInnes, Steve Lomas all delivered teams that played a similar style - strong in midfield, pace up front. All 3 managers went on to better paid jobs. In the last eight years only Tony Mowbray succeeded whilst here and left on the up. So it will be interesting to see how Terry, Maurice and co work perform against the targets set by the board and management at Hibs and connect with the values and traditions of the Hibernian Way.

Good football, played the right way, bums on seats, top four finish will do for me this season :greengrin