PDA

View Full Version : Summer of 67 - Hibs in Canada/USA - Hippies & Hibbies

RSS Bot
13-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Book chronicles club's North American adventure

More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20130813/when-hibernian-were-toronto-city_2262950_3347284)

Conrad Gray
14-11-2013, 01:49 PM
I found the article below, whilst searching for more info on Hibs in North America -

http://thesoccerobserver.com/2013/06/04/hibees-and-hippies-from-leith-to-san-francisco/

The book came out this year and has contributions from Peter Cormack, Pat Stanton & Colin Grant.

I wasn't aware of this book and have ordered a copy - has anyone on here read it????

I've always been fascinated with the North American and African tours that Hibs took part in during the 60's.

I appreciate that there wasn't the same travel opportunities for fans then, but, is there anyone on Hibs.net that was fortunate enough to have been at any of these games?

If so, do you have any tales from them?

--------
14-11-2013, 02:02 PM
I found the article below, whilst searching for more info on Hibs in North America -

http://thesoccerobserver.com/2013/06/04/hibees-and-hippies-from-leith-to-san-francisco/

The book came out this year and has contributions from Peter Cormack, Pat Stanton & Colin Grant.

I wasn't aware of this book and have ordered a copy - has anyone on here read it????

I've always been fascinated with the North American and African tours that Hibs took part in during the 60's.

I appreciate that there wasn't the same travel opportunities for fans then, but, is there anyone on Hibs.net that was fortunate enough to have been at any of these games?

That takes me back. I was just heading off to Uni that September, and that team photo has most of the guys I watched against against Porto and Naples and Dirty Leeds United later that year. No Paddy Stanton, no Alex Scott, no Willie Wilson, but the rest are there.

If you can get hold of Peter Marinello's biography "Fallen Idle" you'll find a couple of tales of the Ghanaian tour in '68 - Jim O'Rourke's "overdue eighteenth birthday present" to PM , and the story of the Russian submariners, the dugout canoes, and the kidnap.

Viva_Palmeiras
14-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Thanks for this - interesting read!

hibbybrian
14-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Hi W. thanks for posting the link - I'll be ordering a copy :thumbsup:

The article has Pat Stanton scoring the second goal but according to Hibs report in the following season Handbook Programme it was scored by Peter Cormack.

Conrad Gray
14-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Before people go out and buy the book, the book is about the 1967 tournament and not Hibs in particular. Although, there would appear to be a good contribution from Hibs players.

Iggy Pope
14-11-2013, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the link. Just ordered a copy.

I have read that San Quentin quote from Jimmy O'Rourke before. it may even have been Paddy that uttered it at a dinner.
Interesting to read about the Edinburgh Castle bar in SF. Completely unrelated apart from the thread title, but it became a famous music venue and fellow punks should know that the hippy baiting Dead Kennedy's played there!

It might have been a previous US and Canadian tour when Willie Hamilton bent double a silver salver MOM award so it would fit in his bag?
I am fortunate enough to have been shown this very artefact by his widow some 25 years ago (she stayed in Restalrig) and it had pride of place. No doubt it happened though. The seam is straight down the middle. I think they spent time in Canada after he retired.

Conrad Gray
14-11-2013, 02:31 PM
I just found this on the official site - I must have missed it at the time.

www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20130813/when-hibernian-were-toronto-city_2262950_3347284#