PDA

View Full Version : McGivern at left mid?

sauzeelegod
14-11-2013, 08:51 AM
what would the thoughts be of playing him at left mid? he's better offensively than he is at defending in my opinion and he could give us some width until Harris is back playing. Lewis could slot in at left back. we're crying out for width so maybe worth a try?

andrew70
14-11-2013, 08:57 AM
what would the thoughts be of playing him at left mid? he's better offensively than he is at defending in my opinion and he could give us some width until Harris is back playing. Lewis could slot in at left back. we're crying out for width so maybe worth a try?

Ryan's best position is centre half, he can fill in adequately enough at left back however is crossing is poor and fails to beat his man for pace time and time again so I don't think being a winger will work.

I also happen to think that he is carrying an injury because just now he is playing poorly but he is a very accomplished player on his day. FWIW I think we will see him played in his natural position under Butcher.

#FromTheCapital
14-11-2013, 09:00 AM
I've been saying this for ages. I like mcgivern but defensively he is very poor and costs us a lot of goals with his schoolboy errors. Going forward he looks like a player so why not?

carnoustiehibee
14-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Yeh I've thought he'd be quite effective at left mid, has abit of pace to get forward with a decent cross.

I'd also put taiwo at right back just now till we find a replacement.

I'm sure big terry will get the defence sorted though

steve75
14-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Can we stop this? Same story different player. It didn't work with Whittaker, it didn't work with Murphy and it won't work with McGivern. As far as I'm concerned his best performance for us was at CB in the 1-0 Hearts cup game, and I think over his career that will be where he establishes himself.

offshorehibby
14-11-2013, 09:12 AM
I'd say he's better at CH, some of his better games have been there. He's been getting slated for the performance against Inverness but only a couple of weeks earlier had one of his best games against Celtic. I thought he was excellent he one just about every ball that came into the box.

GraniteCityHibs
14-11-2013, 09:16 AM
We're slow as it is in midfield. Adding a one paced left back/centre half into our wide midfield position is not the answer.

NatureBoy
14-11-2013, 09:18 AM
I feel McGivern is a defender and moving him into midfield would just be a waste. He's shown his best form at CB but still feel he has the potential to become an excellent LB and make that position his own. For some reason he seems to have a few crazy moments at LB where he loses concentration, hopefully that's something Terry will sort out. He's excellent at getting forward and giving us an added option. Just hope he can focus more and become the top player he has the ability to become.

GreenPJ
14-11-2013, 09:24 AM
If Cairney is fit enough for the bench then he should be fit enought to start and he would be the obvious player to try at left mid.

Baader
14-11-2013, 09:50 AM
He can't beat a man - best as centre half I think...

yekimevol
14-11-2013, 10:47 AM
I want to see paul cairney back at LM, been on the bench for a bit so must be fit again.

rcarter1
14-11-2013, 11:26 AM
I rate McGivern, and look forward to seeing our management team get the best out of him - and others, in the positions they are allocated.

Makaveli
14-11-2013, 11:29 AM
If Cairney is fit enough for the bench then he should be fit enought to start and he would be the obvious player to try at left mid.

I want to see paul cairney back at LM, been on the bench for a bit so must be fit again.

:agree:

Our current central midfield is painfully defensive. The last thing we need to do is start putting defenders on the wing!

PeterboroHibee
14-11-2013, 02:07 PM
:agree:

Our current central midfield is painfully defensive. The last thing we need to do is start putting defenders on the wing!

I dont think the suggestion is to put a 'defender' on the wing (which implies we are purposely being defensive/negative), but rather someone who has the qualities going forward that we need.

FWIW I dont think we should play him there, as I think a full back who gets forward can be as effective as a winger in attack. Weve suffered recently in having no support from either wing or fullback position. Hopefully Butcher and Malpas can coach McGivern to use his strengths and actually be positive going forward - whenever Ive seen him hes got a really bad habit of firing the ball up the pitch when he could either carry it or play a simple pass, which usually results in us losing possession.

Franck Stanton
14-11-2013, 02:23 PM
I like McGivern but as a centre half. Would like a pairing of him and Nelson/Forster [ whoever is fit/available ], as far as left back is concerned, unless we get someone in during Jan window would play Lewis there as he does a good job and never lets us down, left mid, as has been stated in previous posts - Cairney for some creativity.

Fergus52
14-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Strong at centre back or left back.

Can defend and is allright going forward, but no way would I put him at left mid.

RIP Bestie
15-11-2013, 12:16 AM
No thanks. Centre half for me!

Jones28
15-11-2013, 12:19 AM
Centre half please

heretoday
15-11-2013, 06:55 AM
He is a central defender or nothing. I will be disappointed if he is still in a Hibs shirt this time next year.

3pm
15-11-2013, 07:00 AM
If he keeps on going the way he is, he'll be lucky to be in the team.