PDA

View Full Version : Andy McNeil moves to NZ

HibsNZ
14-11-2013, 02:52 AM
Apparently he's signed for Waikato in our national league. Their playing Auckland City this Sunday so might have ta go along and support a former Hibee!

Squealing pig
14-11-2013, 05:27 AM
Back against them then aye

Viva_Palmeiras
14-11-2013, 07:23 AM
Saw him about 6 months ago on Sainsburys meadowbank.
Has he still got that embryonic ponytail effort ?

HibsNZ
14-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Saw him about 6 months ago on Sainsburys meadowbank.
Has he still got that embryonic ponytail effort ?

I'll let you know

The_Horde
14-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Funny I was bored in work yesterday and decided to look him up and found he was playing for them. Thought I'd just missed something but must be a recent occurrence.

Hibby Bairn
14-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Cup winner. :agree:

Jonnyboy
14-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Apparently he's signed for Waikato in our national league. Their playing Auckland City this Sunday so might have ta go along and support a former Hibee!

Read something about Andy a few weeks back where he was saying he had to leave for NZ because the wages clubs were offering in Scotland were way too low for him to consider. What sort of pay do NZ footballers make HibsNZ?

Andy was never the best but he was part of the CIS Cup winning team and deserves recognition for his part in that :agree:

007 Mickey Weir
14-11-2013, 07:06 PM
He was in the Four in Hand pre the derby cup game a few weeks ago. Hibs scarf on supporting the boys

Hibby Bairn
14-11-2013, 07:08 PM
U19 UEFA Euro finalist v Spain. That'll be two medals. :agree:

WellingtonHibby
14-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Read something about Andy a few weeks back where he was saying he had to leave for NZ because the wages clubs were offering in Scotland were way too low for him to consider. What sort of pay do NZ footballers make HibsNZ?

Andy was never the best but he was part of the CIS Cup winning team and deserves recognition for his part in that :agree:

Cant be that much at all i know a few boy who play national league and they do it part-time and are plumbers most of the week. They only train twice a week and AFAIK payment is often bonus and appearance related rather that a "wage" per se

Still, the guys young and probably missed out on the gap year and all that stuff normal guys get to do, If he's just on a years visa, it'd be agreat way to see a new country and experience a different lifestyle. Fair play to him. Il defintley pop down and Heckle, i mean cheer him on if he gets rounds these parts.

Hibby Bairn
14-11-2013, 07:14 PM
U19 UEFA Euro finalist v Spain. That'll be two medals. :agree:

Slightly off topic but just did a search for that game and notice that the Spain team had Javi Garcia, Gerard Pique and Juan Mata in it.

hibees 7062
14-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Slightly off topic but just did a search for that game and notice that the Spain team had Javi Garcia, Gerard Pique and Juan Mata in it.

Aye but the Killie team had Nish, Wales and Locke in it :greengrin

Billy Whizz
14-11-2013, 07:32 PM
We'd have won it too if Fletch had been playing instead of Elliot! :greengrin He was either suspended or injured, can't remember which.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/5221720.stm

Fletcher and Snodgrass were suspended

HibsNZ
15-11-2013, 05:26 AM

Yeah brightonhibby's right all the lads here are amateur apart from one lad at Auckland City who's still an international. (Played against Mexico and is supposedly on NZ $75,000) Andy's gonna be doing some coaching as well so that will probably supplement his income from playing. We do have a professional team in Wellington with a Scottish coach that play in the Aussie league, and he's signed a few players from the local leagues so you never know. http://www.waibopunited.co.nz/andrew-mcneil-signs-for-waibop-united/

500miles
15-11-2013, 06:00 AM
Made the greatest save I've ever seen a Hibs goalkeeper make against Falkirk, away.

Suprised he has had to go to such lengths for a club. Seemed to regularly save Livvy's skin any time i saw his name mentioned in match reports.

The_Horde
15-11-2013, 06:29 AM
Made the greatest save I've ever seen a Hibs goalkeeper make against Falkirk, away.

Suprised he has had to go to such lengths for a club. Seemed to regularly save Livvy's skin any time i saw his name mentioned in match reports.

In the 3 games I went to see him in he made absolute howlers for 2 of the goals and never kept a clean sheet.

Evergreen86
15-11-2013, 07:29 AM
He was in the Four in Hand pre the derby cup game a few weeks ago. Hibs scarf on supporting the boys

He wasnt

Iain G
15-11-2013, 08:42 AM
Yeah brightonhibby's right all the lads here are amateur apart from one lad at Auckland City who's still an international. (Played against Mexico and is supposedly on NZ $75,000) Andy's gonna be doing some coaching as well so that will probably supplement his income from playing. We do have a professional team in Wellington with a Scottish coach that play in the Aussie league, and he's signed a few players from the local leagues so you never know. http://www.waibopunited.co.nz/andrew-mcneil-signs-for-waibop-united/

Go the 'nix! :wink:

HibsNZ
15-11-2013, 09:18 AM
Go the 'nix! :wink:

Most definitely, a wee win would be nice soon though!

Part/Time Supporter
15-11-2013, 09:52 AM

A weird bit of trivia from that game is that one of the Scotland players has been involved in a major tournament at full international level, despite the misfortunes of the Scotland team since then. Michael McGlinchey, a Celtic kid who didn't really break into their team, had NZ relative(s) and was picked for their 2010 World Cup squad.

HibsNZ
15-11-2013, 06:27 PM
A weird bit of trivia from that game is that one of the Scotland players has been involved in a major tournament at full international level, despite the misfortunes of the Scotland team since then. Michael McGlinchey, a Celtic kid who didn't really break into their team, had NZ relative(s) and was picked for their 2010 World Cup squad.

Don't think he has NZ relatives, he was born in Wellington while his old man was over here playing football. They went back to Scotland when he was 1, he now plays for the Central Coast Mariners in the Aussie league. Good wee player inall.

Billy
17-11-2013, 01:54 AM
Andy is playing for @WaiBOPUnited and speaking to the guy who does their tweets, he was saying that there is currently a fan at their match wearing his Hibs top and supporting Andy and his team.

They won their first league match but are losing 3-1 just now.

The Baldmans Comb
17-11-2013, 08:00 PM

I thought so to though a few years later someone said the Falkirk striker was offside.

No idea but Mcneil wasnt to know and it was a wonder save.

Speedway
18-11-2013, 07:30 AM

That very rarely gets talked about but it's one of the few WOW moments I had with Mixu's side. The Hibs TV coverage of the time didn't show it that clearly either.