PDA

View Full Version : Could be the start of something special

coco mc
13-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Was speaking today to a ICT fan.His feelings where more that he felt TB and co where going to be there fir the long haul and be a Sir Alex type figure up there !!!

could it happen here ??

GGTH

Viva_Palmeiras
13-11-2013, 06:51 PM
If TB bags domestic titles and cups plus a Europa cup and Super Cup equivalent I'll die happy.

coco mc
13-11-2013, 07:09 PM
If TB bags domestic titles and cups plus a Europa cup and Super Cup equivalent I'll die happy.
Haha me too

weonlywon6-2
13-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Was speaking today to a ICT fan.His feelings where more that he felt TB and co where going to be there fir the long haul and be a Sir Alex type figure up there !!!

could it happen here ??

GGTH

All depends like any manager.If you are succesful other clubs will come calling,fail and no one is interested.
Butcher has been settled in Scotland for many years now and is highly respected in and out of the game.I just hope he has a bit of success and wekep him for the long haul.
Beating the pink palace mob would be a great start

coco mc
13-11-2013, 07:27 PM
All depends like any manager.If you are succesful other clubs will come calling,fail and no one is interested.
Butcher has been settled in Scotland for many years now and is highly respected in and out of the game.I just hope he has a bit of success and wekep him for the long haul.
Beating the pink palace mob would be a great start
Totally agree just feel he's been in a few jobs now think he's 55 years old he just might find that we are all perfect fit hope so anyway
yeah but beating that lot will make it easier

sleeping giant
13-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Listening to him inspires me the way Tony Mowbray did.
I have a GREAT feeling about him.

coco mc
15-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Listening to him inspires me the way Tony Mowbray did.
I have a GREAT feeling about him.
Yeah there's just something in the air or as my dad would say he can feel it in his water

Dashing Bob S
15-11-2013, 10:30 PM
Don't think it's a bad appointment, but not so sure about all the over-the-top new messiah optimism. Butcher's Hibs won't excite on the pitch the same way the Mowbray side did. I see us as being competitive, hard to beat, constant top five, and doing very well in derbies (assuming, and it's a long shot, that Hearts are anywhere near us to compete in them) but the football not being anything to write home about.

I'm not too bothered, I think a spell of being a feared prospect and winning ugly would suit us for a half-decade or so.

Jones28
15-11-2013, 10:32 PM
Count, chickens, don't, etc

Jack
15-11-2013, 10:47 PM
I have a feeling you could be right.

BUT.

From what I've heard from #1 & #2 they are ambitious and when they progress Hibs those in charge of Hibs will have to match those ambitions or, like ICT, they'll be off.

So what are their ambitious?

I reckon very regular European sorties through league placings.

Cups are of little importance but a wee bonus.

Europe will be reaching the league stages.

It will cost a friggin fortune in comparison with our current spend but we'll be there in filling the stadium so it will be possible.

It is our destiny, I've seen it in my crystal balls.

hibbymick
15-11-2013, 11:12 PM
This will be butchers stepping stone to The rangers gig. Imo

Viva_Palmeiras
15-11-2013, 11:14 PM
I have a feeling you could be right.

BUT.

From what I've heard from #1 & #2 they are ambitious and when they progress Hibs those in charge of Hibs will have to match those ambitions or, like ICT, they'll be off.

So what are their ambitious?

I reckon very regular European sorties through league placings.

Cups are of little importance but a wee bonus.

Europe will be reaching the league stages.

It will cost a friggin fortune in comparison with our current spend but we'll be there in filling the stadium so it will be possible.

It is our destiny, I've seen it in my crystal balls.

Thought you'd been walking funny ;)

Borderhibbie76
16-11-2013, 06:03 AM
Don't think it's a bad appointment, but not so sure about all the over-the-top new messiah optimism. Butcher's Hibs won't excite on the pitch the same way the Mowbray side did. I see us as being competitive, hard to beat, constant top five, and doing very well in derbies (assuming, and it's a long shot, that Hearts are anywhere near us to compete in them) but the football not being anything to write home about.

I'm not too bothered, I think a spell of being a feared prospect and winning ugly would suit us for a half-decade or so.

Didnt see his inverness team "winning ugly" last week mate. If he gets hibs playing anything like that. ..il be a happy chappy

Phil D. Rolls
16-11-2013, 07:24 AM
I've not been this excited since Bertie Auld took over. Lets wait and see.

:hmmm:

Viva_Palmeiras
16-11-2013, 10:06 AM
No THIS heralds the start of Something Special (goor programme BTW!)

http://youtu.be/zpvdhDPJJtE

Viva_Palmeiras
16-11-2013, 10:12 AM

http://youtu.be/TPx6U6E45jQ

Northern Hibby
16-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Really want this to be our time, really want us to start playing like I think we can, just really really want us to be able to compete.

GGTTH

Pretty Boy
16-11-2013, 01:45 PM

Why does this seem so likely to some?

From what i can gather Butcher doesn't feel any huge affinity to Rangers. He never, ever bought into of the hunnery pish.

Diclonius
16-11-2013, 01:46 PM

If Ferguson had gone to us instead of Aberdeen he'd probably have won us everything except the Scottish Cup.

Northern Hibby
16-11-2013, 02:12 PM
If Ferguson had gone to us instead of Aberdeen he'd probably have won us everything except the Scottish Cup.

We will win the Scottish cup, we will win the Scottish cup , we will win the Scottish cup, we will win the Scottish cup repeat 100 times every night and every morning :-)

coco mc
16-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Yep and have a shocking derby record

RIP Bestie
16-11-2013, 04:23 PM
This definitely isn't the "first dawn of a new era" thread and it won't be the last in my opinion.
im delighted with the appointment of Butcher, however the proof is in the pudding and he has to perform, Just like any other manager or he can go. Been let down too many times to start looking into the future as always ending up asking "if only"?

Sir David Gray
16-11-2013, 04:40 PM
This isn't the first time in the past few days that I've read about people drawing comparisons between our appointment of Butcher and Aberdeen appointing Sir Alex Ferguson.

I think some people are going to be a little disappointed very shortly, if that's the sort of expectation levels they have.

And that's not in any way a criticism of Terry Butcher or his management skills, by the way.

But I'm sure he would be the first to admit that he's not Sir Alex Ferguson.

Viva_Palmeiras
16-11-2013, 05:11 PM
This isn't the first time in the past few days that I've read about people drawing comparisons between our appointment of Butcher and Aberdeen appointing Sir Alex Ferguson.

I think some people are going to be a little disappointed very shortly, if that's the sort of expectation levels they have.

And that's not in any way a criticism of Terry Butcher or his management skills, by the way.

But I'm sure he would be the first to admit that he's not Sir Alex Ferguson.

I can understand folks positivity around this appointment our first experienced management team in a while after mixed fortunes with newbies/untested in Scottish football.

Whilst Butcher is no Bobby Williamson (Bobby won that piece of silverware did he not?) he brings many of the desirable characteristics of a manager passionate, knowledgeable, tactically aware and even articulate and media-friendly (very welcome after a few duds).

But I think there's a danger in over-egging the magnitude and rate of change that TB will bring. I think there was a piece around the Scotland / US game stating that it's easy to coach a team to stop goals (not so easy in Hibs case!) but harder to create them.

So I'm not buying in to the messiah notion at this point Indeed wonder where it comes from as a support we rarely "flip a switch" - mysterious forces at work...?

stoneyburn hibs
16-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Why does this seem so likely to some?

From what i can gather Butcher doesn't feel any huge affinity to Rangers. He never, ever bought into of the hunnery pish.

I dont think he does buy into the hunnery pish as you said.
Speaking to a Rangers shareholder and relative from the wifes side about Butcher at Hibs, and his hopefully decent next two years leading to him possibly going back to Ibrox, his words were no chance, not after what he wrote in his book, he would not be accepted.

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-11-2013, 08:08 PM
Butcher says in his book that he never bought in to the religious aspects at Ibrox and his wife didn't care too much for the bigotry that came with being the Rangers captain. As the The Rangers try to regroup, it would seem that on the terraces, sectarianism is the common tie that is biding their core support together. That would rule Butcher out I think. Still don't believe that they will trust McCoist once they are back in the SPL.

Col2
16-11-2013, 08:25 PM
If he makes us excited again to go to ER and wins up the Scottish Cup he will obtain legend status.

Hiber-nation
16-11-2013, 08:28 PM
While I've got my ticket for next Saturday, a game I wouldn't have dreamed of going to under our last 2 managers, we will all have to be very patient.

Itsnoteasy
16-11-2013, 10:29 PM
Butcher's strong point is picking up players from lower English leagues and making them into players. But has no record of bringing the youngsters through the ranks. Want a winning team on the park but also want youth to shine

I can understand folks positivity around this appointment our first experienced management team in a while after mixed fortunes with newbies/untested in Scottish football.

Whilst Butcher is no Bobby Williamson (Bobby won that piece of silverware did he not?) he brings many of the desirable characteristics of a manager passionate, knowledgeable, tactically aware and even articulate and media-friendly (very welcome after a few duds).

But I think there's a danger in over-egging the magnitude and rate of change that TB will bring. I think there was a piece around the Scotland / US game stating that it's easy to coach a team to stop goals (not so easy in Hibs case!) but harder to create them.

So I'm not buying in to the messiah notion at this point Indeed wonder where it comes from as a support we rarely "flip a switch" - mysterious forces at work...?

heretoday
16-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Could be the start of something.

But so far it's all talk.

FitbaFolkKen
17-11-2013, 12:17 AM

Yeah I had this in the back of my mind as well.

Tom Hart RIP
20-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Butcher clearly loves it here. He is staying at Pat's old flat but has been house hunting in North Berwick already. He talks as if he is in for the long haul and can't talk highly enough of the Training Centre. http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2013/11/terry-butcher-sees-sunrise-and-sunset-at-hibs-training-centre/

frazeHFC
20-11-2013, 09:30 AM
For now all I want is a team of decent players, not only giving 100% every game, but that actually know what they're meant to be doing and have the qualities to play for us in this league. I have a good feeling TB will give us that within the next year, and hopefully push on from there.

Hibercelona
20-11-2013, 10:54 AM
The next Alex Ferguson? European and Super Cups?

What are you boys on? :faf:

I think he'll come in and he should be aiming to get us into the top 3. If he can do it with Inverness, then there's absolutely no reason what so ever why he can't do it with us in the exact same league with bigger resources.

I believe he'll succeed and he'll be here for 2-3 years. Will most likely get the Rangers gig when McCoist is no longer their best pal.

Alex Trager
20-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Everything about his comments breed confidence in me. I've never felt like this about a new manager.

I think TB's football won't be like Mowbray's but will be decent to watch. I feel like he has all the attributes required to make a better team than TM's. I feel like his team won't win 3-0 one week then easily lose by the same margin next week.
That's where I think the differences will be. And that is why I personally feel so confident.

lucky
20-11-2013, 11:44 AM
He does inspire me and hopefully the team. But his objectives surely are top 3/4 every year with a least 1 semi final a year. He ain't no SAF, and talk like that is plain stupid