PDA

View Full Version : Happy 70th Birthday to Big Jim ' Cilla' Black

Tom Hart RIP
13-11-2013, 01:32 PM
I saw the big man two weeks ago and he still looks fit enough to play. Very underrated but considering the quality of his team-mates then perhaps that is understandable. I remember his only goal for Hibs against Keflavic in the UEFA Cup. (Tony Higgins got the other).

Gettin' Auld
13-11-2013, 05:18 PM
I saw the big man two weeks ago and he still looks fit enough to play. Very underrated but considering the quality of his team-mates then perhaps that is understandable. I remember his only goal for Hibs against Keflavic in the UEFA Cup. (Tony Higgins got the other).

Did Cilla only score one goal for Hibs?

OK i just checked the stats and that's right enough. :greengrin

Anyway, i always like him and he was an integral part of the Tornado's.

Hope he has many more birthdays to come.

eastterrace
13-11-2013, 05:57 PM
Did Cilla only score one goal for Hibs?

OK i just checked the stats and that's right enough. :greengrin

Anyway, i always like him and he was an integral part of the Tornado's.

Hope he has many more birthdays to come.

liked him as well but he was the weak link in the team, he could never get to grips with dixie deans.

hihohibby
13-11-2013, 06:10 PM
I always looked upon "quiet" Jim Black as a stalwart and unsung hero - someone who did his job effectively in the shadows of his more talented team mates. Good on you Jim. I have many happy memories of you heading that ball clear when rivals threatened our goal.

edwards
13-11-2013, 06:12 PM
Always thought he was underated and had a great partnership with sloop, played well for the club and never let us down. :top marks

Tom Hart RIP
13-11-2013, 06:13 PM
I read that he was never booked which is an amazing statistic if correct.
I know he was sent off once but it is still some achievement.

TheFamous1875
13-11-2013, 06:17 PM
Was he the Tornadoes Paul Hanlon? Because you rarely hear him mentioned along Stanton, Crops, Shades, Onion, Sloop...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Franck Stanton
13-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Always thought he was underated and had a great partnership with sloop, played well for the club and never let us down. :top marks

Exactly, great c/half, no frills, just get the ball and give it to someone who could play with finesse. Cant remember him being pulled out of position - except as previously stated - by Dixie f,n Deans. Wish we had a player of his quality now. Anyway, many happy returns , have a good one.

jdships
13-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Wasn't a bad " Tyre Fitter" either :greengrin
24th October 1973
Was working at Selby and went across to Leeds for the UEFA Cup , 2nd R /1st Leg against Leeds
Jim Black put in one of , if not the best , greatest C/H displays I have ever seen by a Hibs player that night
IMMENSE that night !!!

:flag:

shagpile
13-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Happy Birthday Jim.

You were as much a part of the Tornadoes as some of your more illustrious team mates. While they were doing the clever stuff, yourself , Sloop & Shades were knocking lumps out of anything that looked like a threat. In the days when a tackle WAS a tackle & players got up & got on with the game.

O'Rourke3
13-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Many happy returns Cilla. Part of the team that has given me most of my best times as a Hibbee :agree:

Tom Hart RIP
13-11-2013, 07:48 PM
He reached another cup final with Airdrie after he left ER but once again got beat by Celtic 3-0.
Jim Herriot said that he wasn't dirty enough or he would have been capped.
Great partnership with Sloop

BSEJVT
13-11-2013, 08:14 PM
Many Happy Returns Jim

Like others have said a big part of the best Hibs team I have ever seen by the length of Leith Walk.

Just finished reading the book about Erich Schaedler and despite the sadness of the passing of Erich, it brought back so many happy memories of great days watching that team.

Jonnyboy
13-11-2013, 08:15 PM
Hibby Birthday Cilla.

Part of my favourite ever Hibs team

--------
13-11-2013, 08:23 PM
Happy Birthday, Jim.

Doing anything on Saturday afternoons? :wink:

Leithenhibby
13-11-2013, 11:37 PM
Hibby Birthday Cilla.:aok:

Part of my favourite Hibs team :wink:

https://www.facebook.com/tiptotoe2014

erskine-hibby
13-11-2013, 11:58 PM
Happy birthday Jim.

Thanks for being part of the team that gave many great memories.

Iggy Pope
14-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Hibby Birthday Cilla.

Part of my favourite ever Hibs team

Seconded. Made a fledgling HH into a radge.

Although I feel awful ****ing auld at this news!

heretoday
14-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Cilla! A perfect example of the rapier-like wit audible on all parts of the terracing in the early seventies.

What a laugh we used to have! It's got all deadly serious now.

I blame the internet.

LeithBoozy
14-11-2013, 02:29 PM
All the best Jim, have a good one. :thumbsup:

superfurryhibby
14-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Happy 70th to a Hibees stalwart.

Iggy Pope
14-11-2013, 04:37 PM
PS
Happy 7nil by the way Jim.

Roxyhibee
14-11-2013, 11:12 PM
Jim Black might not have been 'dirty enough' but he wasn't lacking in commitment and agression that's for sure.. Saw him give so-called hardmen like John Greig frighteningly ferocious tackles in 50/50's. Very good and underrated player in a star studded side. He fitted perfectly into the great blend that was Tornadoes.