PDA

View Full Version : Maurice Daniel Robert Malpas.......wow!

monktonharp
13-11-2013, 01:24 AM
just had a wee look,at his statistics on Wiki pedia or whatever ye call it, but......this guy has a hellava lot more stats than you could imagine. always thought he was a good player to have at the back but how's about this....Fifer, born in Dunfy but after signing fromLeven Royals at age 15 for D.Utd, he spent his entire professional years there. he played 55 times for SCOTLAND, which puts him into the halls of fame ,. he did not go fully professional until he became a Bsc, in Electrical Eng.( a sparky) Also, he is the only D.Utd player to ever exceed 50 caps for his country.he was made Scotland captain to mark his 50th achievement. He also has the record of making 617 appearences for Dundee United. wonder which club he would ever want to be manager of, if he got the chance?:wink:

monktonharp
13-11-2013, 01:31 AM
just had a wee look,at his statistics on Wiki pedia or whatever ye call it, but......this guy has a hellava lot more stats than you could imagine. always thought he was a good player to have at the back but how's about this....Fifer, born in Dunfy but after signing fromLeven Royals at age 15 for D.Utd, he spent his entire professional years there. he played 55 times for SCOTLAND, which puts him into the halls of fame ,. he did not go fully professional until he became a Bsc, in Electrical Eng.( a sparky) Also, he is the only D.Utd player to ever exceed 50 caps for his country.he was made Scotland captain to mark his 50th achievement. He also has the record of making 617 appearences for Dundee United. wonder which club he would ever want to be manager of, if he got the chance?:wink:

excuse the spelling with his first name, cant adjust it! we'll call him Mo.

Viva_Palmeiras
13-11-2013, 08:31 AM
excuse the spelling with his first name, cant adjust it! we'll call him Mo.

Some people call him the gangster of love... ;)

brian6-2
13-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Butcher wouldnt be the same without him. getting the pair of them together was a must for hibs. delighted we have done it.

Malpas is the man that deals with all the coaching and training drills.

Nailrod
13-11-2013, 08:42 AM
wonder which club he would ever want to be manager of, if he got the chance?:wink:Hibs.

Word is he's already badmouthing El Tel behind his back... :wink:

MB62
13-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Used to be known as Maurice Passback in his playing days :wink: :greengrin

WhileTheChief..
13-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Or even Maurice Backpass!

LeithBoozy
13-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Used to be known as Maurice Passback in his playing days :wink: :greengrin

He was a class player, Dundee Utd had a great team. Narey being my favourite, still not as good as Stanton, but close.

KazHibby
13-11-2013, 02:43 PM
He was a class player, Dundee Utd had a great team. Narey being my favourite, still not as good as Stanton, but close.

Remenber him clearing the ball from inside thebgosls at the dunbar end no hawkeye or official up with play. Consigned us to another defeat v the arabs.

jdships
13-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Remenber him clearing the ball from inside thebgosls at the dunbar end no hawkeye or official up with play. Consigned us to another defeat v the arabs.

Likewise remember , in the 70's , taking my boss to ER for a midweek game against D Utd
We lost and Maurice M made 11 passes back to his goalkeeper - two from within Hibs half during the game and got roundly booed every time

:greengrin

givescotlandfreedom
13-11-2013, 06:27 PM
He came out with a great quote in one of the interviews:
'Short term, Caley Thistle have a better chance of winning a trophy. But long term Hibs, are far better'

lapsedhibee
13-11-2013, 06:34 PM
wonder which club he would ever want to be manager of, if he got the chance?

If he brings to Hibs only one aspect of management technique from his time at Dundee U, I do so hope it's punching BBC reporters when they ask stupid questions.

(And, further, that the recipient of said technique is Liam McLeod.)

Springbank
13-11-2013, 07:36 PM
If he brings to Hibs only one aspect of management technique from his time at Dundee U, I do so hope it's punching BBC reporters when they ask stupid questions.

Or Alan Preston
Or Charlie Mann
Or John Robertson
Or sandy Clark
Or billy dodds

tamig
13-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Likewise remember , in the 70's , taking my boss to ER for a midweek game against D Utd
We lost and Maurice M made 11 passes back to his goalkeeper - two from within Hibs half during the game and got roundly booed every time

:greengrin

Sorry to be a pedant, but Malpas never played for United in the 70s. Very much an 80s and 90s man.

Andy74
14-11-2013, 07:45 AM
What do the purists think of his interview this morning in the Scotsman and the priority of winning over doing so in the 'Hibs Way'? :wink:

lapsedhibee
14-11-2013, 07:54 AM
What do the purists think of his interview this morning in the Scotsman and the priority of winning over doing so in the 'Hibs Way'? :wink:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/maurice-malpas-hibs-choice-not-a-tough-one-1-3187345

More surprised that he thinks he's got a better chance of winning trophies with Hibs than with ICT.

Maybe just me but there's something odd about both The Butcher and MM in green and white ties. Glad they're here but something doesn't look quite right (yet).

BSEJVT
14-11-2013, 08:01 AM
I hear that MM went absolutely tonto at the under 20's at their midweek game.

I think there will be a fair few players getting knocked out their comfort zone in the coming weeks and months!

Cabbage East
14-11-2013, 08:07 AM

That was Jim McLean was it no?

"Don't you ever ****ing offer me that again" :greengrin

lapsedhibee
14-11-2013, 08:16 AM
MM went absolutely tonto at the under 20's at their midweek game.

I think there will be a fair few players getting knocked out

That was Jim McLean was it no?

"Don't you ever ****ing offer me that again" :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riP9MOaHNlQ

Look forward to seeing how much MM has learned from his old boss. :greengrin

khib70
14-11-2013, 08:58 AM
FFS give it a rest, eh? Your snidey wee posts on this topic are as boring as the "football" played by your fallen idol:rolleyes:

NorthNorfolkHFC
14-11-2013, 09:05 AM

I think our heads are in the clouds if we expect a certain brand of football, Hibs fans behave like children when it comes to what we expect and want.

For me, its simple: players giving their everything, clear tactics and set up followed through by players and winning as many times as possible

NorthNorfolkHFC
14-11-2013, 09:06 AM
I hear that MM went absolutely tonto at the under 20's at their midweek game.

I think there will be a fair few players getting knocked out their comfort zone in the coming weeks and months!

In regards to what?

Beefster
14-11-2013, 09:18 AM

How many folk actually said that they'd rather lose playing well than win playing pish?

The problem with Fenlon, as I suspect you know, was that the football was dismal and it wasn't really paying off. Playing dismal and winning more than you lose will have a minority grumbling, playing dismal and not even getting a shot on target on the way to losing will have a lot of folk grumbling.

Andy74
14-11-2013, 10:16 AM
How many folk actually said that they'd rather lose playing well than win playing pish?

The problem with Fenlon, as I suspect you know, was that the football was dismal and it wasn't really paying off. Playing dismal and winning more than you lose will have a minority grumbling, playing dismal and not even getting a shot on target on the way to losing will have a lot of folk grumbling.

You might want to re read the Partick Thistle thread and almost every other thread for a couple if weeks after it.

Andy74
14-11-2013, 10:17 AM
FFS give it a rest, eh? Your snidey wee posts on this topic are as boring as the "football" played by your fallen idol:rolleyes:

Best put me on ignore if the odd different post on the topic bothers you.

Groathillgrump
14-11-2013, 10:33 AM
just had a wee look,at his statistics on Wiki pedia or whatever ye call it, but......this guy has a hellava lot more stats than you could imagine. always thought he was a good player to have at the back but how's about this....Fifer, born in Dunfy but after signing fromLeven Royals at age 15 for D.Utd, he spent his entire professional years there. he played 55 times for SCOTLAND, which puts him into the halls of fame ,. he did not go fully professional until he became a Bsc, in Electrical Eng.( a sparky) Also, he is the only D.Utd player to ever exceed 50 caps for his country.he was made Scotland captain to mark his 50th achievement. He also has the record of making 617 appearances for Dundee United. wonder which club he would ever want to be manager of, if he got the chance?:wink:

Impressive stat but when you add Scottish Cup, League Cup and European matches and it becomes an incredible 832 appearances for United.

tamig
15-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Good interview with Mo in last night's EEN. He appears to be genuinely delighted with what's available to him at Hibs - in particular the training ground.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/maurice-malpas-effect-not-to-be-underestimated-1-3188691

lyonhibs
15-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Why play well but get beat? That’s the mentality we’ve got to get into the fans, the players – it’s all about winning. There will be days when we’re flying and it’s great to watch. And there will be days when it’s absolute drivel but we still expect to win. That’s the mindset we’ve got to adapt here. If I hear any player say they can’t do it then they’ll get a Size 8 boot up the backside. I will do it.

This is the single greatest paragraph I have read from any of the bazillion interviews our various "managers/assistant managers" have given in the past 5 years.

The aim of football is to win stuff, and expect to win. It'll take some doing to change the mindset from "och, let's just try no to get beat" to "mon then we're going to win today" but TB and MM seem like the men to do it.

jacomo
15-11-2013, 11:50 AM

So long as he doesn't look like a terrified wee rabbit in the headlights when on the touchline, I'm persuaded to give him a little bit of time to find the right blend. :wink:

IWasThere2016
15-11-2013, 12:46 PM

Andy - there's a good chance you were at ER on Saturday for ICT's win. How did you think they played then?

The highlights are full of good football .. football Fenlon's Hibs rarely played - and certainly didn't sustain.

Dashing Bob S
15-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Butcher and Malpass really seem to fancy themselves as hard men.

All the more satisfying a challenge to break them and hound them out of our great club and install cuddly toys.

Mine's another pint of Tennents and a nip.

Signed 'Bobby', of the group Bobby and the Boo-Boys.

--------
15-11-2013, 01:46 PM
This is the single greatest paragraph I have read from any of the bazillion interviews our various "managers/assistant managers" have given in the past 5 years.

Why play well but get beat? That’s the mentality we’ve got to get into the fans, the players – it’s all about winning. There will be days when we’re flying and it’s great to watch. And there will be days when it’s absolute drivel but we still expect to win. That’s the mindset we’ve got to adapt here. If I hear any player say they can’t do it then they’ll get a Size 8 boot up the backside. I will do it.

The aim of football is to win stuff, and expect to win. It'll take some doing to change the mindset from "och, let's just try no to get beat" to "mon then we're going to win today" but TB and MM seem like the men to do it.

:agree:

Winning's the first priority. There's absolutely no point in being the most stylish losers in the League.

Constant defensive hoofball - please, no.

But right now I'll take a few wins however we get them if at the same time we begin to see the signs of improvement and progress.

Even Messrs Brownlie, Schaedler, Stanton, Black and Blackley could insert the welly with extreme prejudice when required ....