PDA

View Full Version : Stand up and be counted 2

blackpoolhibs
12-11-2013, 08:28 PM
I wonder if its time for this again, a new start for everyone, fans team and management?

I remember when Mowbray came in at the start of SUABC 1, the fans did their part and the team responded.

Different team i suppose, and a different manager but the sentiments the same. A clean slate for everyone, and a chance for us all to try as one to make this great club challenge again.

What do you think?

Stevie Reid
12-11-2013, 08:30 PM
I think SUABC1 started when Williamson was in charge, though I may be wrong.

Could work again, either way.

blackpoolhibs
12-11-2013, 08:32 PM
I think SUABC1 started when Williamson was in charge, though I may be wrong.

Could work again, either way.

Christ time fly's, if it started with Williamson it really took off with Mowbray imo.

nonshinyfinish
12-11-2013, 08:35 PM
While I think SUABC was a good initiative, what will be far more effective in increasing crowds is:

1. Win games.
2. Play good football.

No doubt SUABC was a positive influence the first time round, but the main reasons for the big crowds in the Mowbray era were the results and the football. Not all the results, obviously, but enough.

Hibernia&Alba
12-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Anything is a worth a try that make a positive impact. If it doesn't work, try something else. Experiment with initiatives that might improve attendances, morale and performances.

My_Wife_Camille
12-11-2013, 08:39 PM
What sort of thing did it involve the first time round?

I was only about 15 at the time and all I can really remember about it is the SUABC t-shirts

Jonnyboy
12-11-2013, 08:41 PM
I wonder if its time for this again, a new start for everyone, fans team and management?

I remember when Mowbray came in at the start of SUABC 1, the fans did their part and the team responded.

Different team i suppose, and a different manager but the sentiments the same. A clean slate for everyone, and a chance for us all to try as one to make this great club challenge again.

What do you think?

Yesssssssssssss. Maybe I could hand out this bag of Stand Up And Be Counted metal badges I've had in a drawer for yonks :greengrin

nonshinyfinish
12-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Yesssssssssssss. Maybe I could hand out this bag of Stand Up And Be Counted metal badges I've had in a drawer for yonks :greengrin

Just keep them and throw them at the players once the mood turns again.

MyJo
12-11-2013, 08:42 PM
The main thing is to get some positivity about the place again. Give all the players a clean slate and judge them on what they do under Butcher as im pretty confident any players that arent giving their all or arent living up to expectations will get nowhere near the team with him in charge.

Things got quite ugly between the fans and the team at the end of Fenlons reign and that needs a line drawn under it.

Jonnyboy
12-11-2013, 08:43 PM

Why do you think I've had them for so long? :greengrin

Jonnyboy
12-11-2013, 08:44 PM
The main thing is to get some positivity about the place again. Give all the players a clean slate and judge them on what they do under Butcher as im pretty confident any players that arent giving their all or arent living up to expectations will get nowhere near the team with him in charge.

Things got quite ugly between the fans and the team at the end of Fenlons reign and that needs a line drawn under it.

This. 100%

bigwheel
12-11-2013, 08:46 PM

What do you think?

I think a lot of us have continued to stand up and be counted even of late…

blackpoolhibs
12-11-2013, 08:51 PM
I think a lot of us have continued to stand up and be counted even of late…

I knew there would be one. :rolleyes:

jdships
12-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Problem is that over the past few years people have stopped coming to ER on a regular basis ( me included) and found something else to do on a Saturday afternoon
The big question is how to persuade these same people to start coming back .
Personally I don't think that a few good results will make a great difference to our attendances - it will take time
A good few people I know said why fork out X pounds to watch rubbish and have drifted away and are watching rugby /doing things with the family etc
As in any part of the entertainment business once you l;ose fans it is difficult to get them back .
I will not return regularly on the basis of a couple of wins - it has happened so often before :rolleyes:

Good luck to TB - hopefully he will " deliver "

brianmc
12-11-2013, 09:13 PM
The only thing that will encourage those 'lost' fans to come back is a SUSTAINED improvement in results and performance. And by sustained I don't mean the first 6 weeks of Butcher's reign-I mean a steady, noticeable improvement between now and the end of the season, which then continues from the start of next season.
It has to become fun again going to E.R. instead of something to be endured (or avoided).

*I've not stopped going.... But mostly that was just down to sheer bloody mindedness rather than über fan credentials

HibbyAndy
12-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Build it and they will come.FACT.

jdships
12-11-2013, 09:15 PM
The only thing that will encourage those 'lost' fans to come back is a SUSTAINED improvement in results and performance. And by sustained I don't mean the first 6 weeks of Butcher's reign-I mean a steady, noticeable improvement between now and the end of the season, which then continues from the start of next season.
It has to become fun again going to E.R. instead of something to be endured (or avoided).

That's it for me :top marks
As I said earlier there have been so many " false dawns" in the past few years

Mon Dieu4
12-11-2013, 09:18 PM
While i agree with the sentiment, I've kept going, god knows how, but the fans however many have been going have been the only constant in what has been a pretty awful last 6 years or so

this time i feel its the clubs turn to get the fans back, Butcher is a great start, but continual improvement on the playing front will also play a huge part

lord bunberry
12-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Problem is that over the past few years people have stopped coming to ER on a regular basis ( me included) and found something else to do on a Saturday afternoon
The big question is how to persuade these same people to start coming back .
Personally I don't think that a few good results will make a great difference to our attendances - it will take time
A good few people I know said why fork out X pounds to watch rubbish and have drifted away and are watching rugby /doing things with the family etc
As in any part of the entertainment business once you l;ose fans it is difficult to get them back .
I will not return regularly on the basis of a couple of wins - it has happened so often before :rolleyes:

Good luck to TB - hopefully he will " deliver "

I'm not so sure your right about that, I think a few good results with good performances to go with them will entice lots of fans back. If you look at the malmo game and the cup game you see that the fans have not completely abandoned the team. I know these were only one off matches but imo there's plenty fans just looking for a sign that things are getting better, hopefully butcher is the man to make that happen.

southsider
13-11-2013, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE=brianmc;3806661]The only thing that will encourage those 'lost' fans to come back is a SUSTAINED improvement in results and performance. And by sustained I don't mean the first 6 weeks of Butcher's reign-I mean a steady, noticeable improvement between now and the end of the season, which then continues from the start of next season.

*I've not stopped going.... But mostly that was just down to sheer bloody mindedness rather than über fan credentials[/QUOm
Meet up with members of my family and my pals, share Hibs stories and have a few pints. The game was the worst part of the day. However TB talks a good game and i have faith in him to deliver. He is the right man at the right time and i can be onwards and upwards for us. We need to get the crowds back and perhaps the board should give lappsed fans an incentive to return. Next home game entry as low as £5/£1 with a half season form given out. As a st holder i would not bother one jot about this deal, in fact i would wecome it as it would help OUR club

worcesterhibby
13-11-2013, 01:34 PM

:faf::faf::faf:

JeMeSouviens
13-11-2013, 01:35 PM
The original SUABC was just after the Hibs support had told Rod & co to stuff their move to Straiton with Hearts. They said we could stay put but needed an average 11K to be sustainable at ER. Under the turgid Blob, the response was pretty lukewarm and I think SUABC had been quietly dropped by the time Tony arrived with his virtuous circle.

RIP Bestie
13-11-2013, 03:09 PM

What do you think?
Don't often agree with you BH but I think you're spot on here. Would be great to see some old faces back at Easter Road with a chance to put the negativity regarding Hibs and Scottish Football in general into perspective. We all want the same thing for Hibs so this could be an opportunity to really get behind the new manager and the club and drive us on to better things.

Andy74
13-11-2013, 05:37 PM

It's a fair point though.

Are we just suggesting we stand and be counted when it's easy to do so?

bigwheel
13-11-2013, 06:02 PM

If you want to , just get back watching them regularly , why make a special initiative of it?…. turn up, get behind the team and have the football banter with your mates… the more the merrier..

blackpoolhibs
13-11-2013, 09:28 PM
It's a fair point though.

Are we just suggesting we stand and be counted when it's easy to do so?

If you want to , just get back watching them regularly , why make a special initiative of it?…. turn up, get behind the team and have the football banter with your mates… the more the merrier..

Nobody has said go when its easy, its about everyone having a clean slate. There's been a huge division between the club and a lot of its support. Me personally and i only speak for myself, i feel as distanced from the club as i have ever felt.

There is no bond i feel at this moment in time, other than i used to go and watch Hibs. I would imagine those who have stopped going feel similar, or indeed other feeling, but it was only a suggestion.

The reason i mentioned having a special initiative, was BECAUSE of how folk have felt, and stopped. Perhaps i'm wrong, and the club dont need more folk through the door, or need to try and entice folk back? :rolleyes:

jacomo
13-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Nobody has said go when its easy, its about everyone having a clean slate. There's been a huge division between the club and a lot of its support. Me personally and i only speak for myself, i feel as distanced from the club as i have ever felt.

There is no bond i feel at this moment in time, other than i used to go and watch Hibs. I would imagine those who have stopped going feel similar, or indeed other feeling, but it was only a suggestion.

The reason i mentioned having a special initiative, was BECAUSE of how folk have felt, and stopped. Perhaps i'm wrong, and the club dont need more folk through the door, or need to try and entice folk back? :rolleyes:

I think you're onto something. The idea of a clean slate is a good one, the fans have made their disappointment clear and its been heard. The club has made a big move by bringing in TB and his team.

It's time for a fresh start for everyone - even the underperforming players (you know who I mean). Lets support and encourage the team - TB won't need telling who's pulling their weight and who needs to be emptied.

IberianHibernian
13-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Less than a year ago we were almost top of the league with an excellent home record and the atmosphere inside ER was the most positive it had been for many years . Injuries came along and results suffered though another good cup run and good away performances like those at Tannadice or Kilmarnock ( cup and league ) helped keep positive feel among support . Anything to improve support ( in numbers and atmosphere ) for team is worthwhile but I can`t see why anyone would suddenly want to back the team now more than 3 weeks ago after the Celtic match and the low crowd against ICT would suggest that general apathy towards Scottish football and the economic situation are still so strong that it`ll take much more than a managerial change to boost regular crowds ( I say regular crowds because after a month without a home game and with press coverage Butcher attracts I would expect a high crowd at next home match ) . So another campaign to boost support ? Is there not a marketing team that`s supposed to be doing that all the time ?

Carheenlea
13-11-2013, 10:34 PM
I think we will see a bumper travelling crowd in Paisley for Terry Butcher`s first match in charge, but the key really will be the need to win the following weeks Scottish Cup tie in Dingwall. A combination of a Scottish Cup dream still alive, beating a bogey team in a bogey ground and Terry Butchers first match in charge at Easter Road should see a marked improvement in the numbers coming along.

Campaigns and incentives will never be as effective as Hibs fans leaving Easter Road really enjoying their afternoons football and looking forward to the next game.

Andy74
13-11-2013, 11:03 PM

It shouldn't revolve around liking managers or style of play. You support the team thick and thin or you don't. Why now? Why not when the team needed support earlier in the season?

jacomo
14-11-2013, 09:22 AM
It shouldn't revolve around liking managers or style of play. You support the team thick and thin or you don't. Why now? Why not when the team needed support earlier in the season?

You are right that the club needs our support whatever the circumstances, but undeniably some kind of rift has developed between the fans and the club.

This seems like a great opportunity to put all that behind us, with commitment from ALL sides.

joe breezy
14-11-2013, 09:28 AM
Most bizarre job I've ever had:

Phoning Hibs fans and asking them if they would go back to games if we did a deal on a ticket for them

That was when Williamson was in charge - I think it was seen as part of SUABC but not 100%

As most people said on the phone, 'mate it's not about cheaper tickets it's about a good team on the park'...although there were a lot of people who had simply lost the habit and now played golf or whatever at weekends

blackpoolhibs
14-11-2013, 10:47 AM

The club used to get my support however it played, but continued pish made me reevaluate my priorities. I will spend MY money and use MY time however i like, and don't need to explain that to anyone.

southsider
14-11-2013, 01:34 PM
The club used to get my support however it played, but continued pish made me reevaluate my priorities. I will spend MY money and use MY time however i like, and don't need to explain that to anyone.
Aye, but give it a go mate...see what you think. TB has two weeks to knock them into shape. He can't turn water into wine but perhaps we will have a proper shape to the team with each man doing his best for Terry, his team-mates and the Hibs. Glory Glory

Andy74
14-11-2013, 02:41 PM

You do if you are suggesting a campaign to get fans back.

Iggy Pope
14-11-2013, 03:00 PM

Spent enough of a couple of hours in your company to love you to bits, but if you choose to go spraffing about standing up and being counted and such, on this fans forum, then you probably DO have to explain yourself. Why use it if you can't elucidate? Are you finally going to keep all this self-loathing to yourself or do you simply want the attention?

If you're not doing the 'standing up and being part of the count' bit, your thread makes you look a bit shallow, maybe even trollsome?

You are too good a Hibby for this caper my friend. Come on, come back.

blackpoolhibs
14-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Aye, but give it a go mate...see what you think. TB has two weeks to knock them into shape. He can't turn water into wine but perhaps we will have a proper shape to the team with each man doing his best for Terry, his team-mates and the Hibs. Glory Glory

You do if you are suggesting a campaign to get fans back.

Spent enough of a couple of hours in your company to love you to bits, but if you choose to go spraffing about standing up and being counted and such, on this fans forum, then you probably DO have to explain yourself. Why use it if you can't elucidate? Are you finally going to keep all this self-loathing to yourself or do you simply want the attention?

If you're not doing the 'standing up and being part of the count' bit, your thread makes you look a bit shallow, maybe even trollsome?

You are too good a Hibby for this caper my friend. Come on, come back.

I am suggesting something to bring the club together, even the blind can see its broken. The fans hate what they are seeing, even the ones that still go. The fans are at each other, and the team and its not been a very nice place to go for quite a while.

And i only suggested if this was the right time for SUABC 2, because of how split i think the club has become.

As for me attending, not sure about St Mirren, but train tickets are bought and ready to pick up from the machine at the train station for Partick at home.

And i'm not the only one, we will have quite a few on the train for that one, Lancashires very own SUABC 2 has started.

Scouse Hibee
14-11-2013, 03:13 PM
I completely agree with the sentiment of this thread, lets bring the fans back and increase the crowds, though I have lost count of the actual SUABC we're at, Hampden SC Finals......... were they 2 & 3?

Iggy Pope
14-11-2013, 04:14 PM
I am suggesting something to bring the club together, even the blind can see its broken. The fans hate what they are seeing, even the ones that still go. The fans are at each other, and the team and its not been a very nice place to go for quite a while.

And i only suggested if this was the right time for SUABC 2, because of how split i think the club has become.

As for me attending, not sure about St Mirren, but train tickets are bought and ready to pick up from the machine at the train station for Partick at home.

And i'm not the only one, we will have quite a few on the train for that one, Lancashires very own SUABC 2 has started.

Delighted.
Got that UJ flag sorted yet? Or was it a St George?
:greengrin and FTH.

blackpoolhibs
14-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Delighted.
Got that UJ flag sorted yet? Or was it a St George?
:greengrin and FTH.

Might bring both. :wink:

Iggy Pope
14-11-2013, 05:35 PM
Might bring both. :wink:

Yaaaassss!
To phrase, obviously :aok:

Lang Toun Hibs
14-11-2013, 07:38 PM

Many more than one.:na na:

spike220
15-11-2013, 01:00 AM

Not even to the wife :dunno:

blackpoolhibs
15-11-2013, 08:06 AM
[/B]

Not even to the wife :dunno:

Not sure why you are confused, not seen her in years? :wink:

matty_f
15-11-2013, 08:14 AM
I'm all for initiatives to get Easter Road filled for games but I think anything like SUABC 2 would need to be a fan-led thing. I don't think the club have much currency in goodwill with the fans to be on a position to launch something like this without it having a negative response.

Bostonhibby
15-11-2013, 08:26 AM
Sod it, I am on my way back, long weekend for the partick game all booked up. Xmas is cancelled.

blackpoolhibs
15-11-2013, 08:35 AM
I'm all for initiatives to get Easter Road filled for games but I think anything like SUABC 2 would need to be a fan-led thing. I don't think the club have much currency in goodwill with the fans to be on a position to launch something like this without it having a negative response.

Some fans would rather wallow in their own self importance, and criticize those who pissed off and gave up watching that pish.

As i said in another thread, those folk who do go every week deserve a medal, they deserve much better.

As always, the club needs as many folk through the doors as possible, but again folk will spend their money as they like, and Hibs playing as badly as they have been will result in less crowds.

I wont apologise to anyone for not wanting to waste my time with the last incumbents team, but as i said earlier, its time for a new start, and thats why i shall return to games.

Scouse Hibee
15-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Some fans would rather wallow in their own self importance, and criticize those who pissed off and gave up watching that pish.

As i said in another thread, those folk who do go every week deserve a medal, they deserve much better.

As always, the club needs as many folk through the doors as possible, but again folk will spend their money as they like, and Hibs playing as badly as they have been will result in less crowds.

I wont apologise to anyone for not wanting to waste my time with the last incumbents team, but as i said earlier, its time for a new start, and thats why i shall return to games.

You and others like you who travel as far as you do deserve plenty of credit for even attending on an irregular basis never mind every home game or more. I dread to think how much cash you spend on attending a home game compared to me, let alone the time it takes you. I can't even bother my erse to travel to Liverpool games that often.

matty_f
15-11-2013, 09:03 AM

I wasn't having a go at you (or anyone else, tbh). I agree with you, I was just making the point that this time it would only work if it was fan led (imho).

blackpoolhibs
15-11-2013, 09:17 AM
I wasn't having a go at you (or anyone else, tbh). I agree with you, I was just making the point that this time it would only work if it was fan led (imho).

I agree this has to be a fans initiative, but if the fans are at each others throats its doomed to failure before it gets off the ground.

RIP Bestie
15-11-2013, 09:33 AM

Find myself agreeing with you on this wholeheartedly. I think that the people that do go every week get pissed off with people who criticise and don't go. I can see the point in them thinking that a part of the problem is the crowds aren't big enough and if more people went it would put us in a better financial footing to progress and if you're not going to do that then don't complain. I totally get that and empathise with them. However the reality of life is that people do have choices in life now, there are other ways to watch football without spending your hard earned cash on something that you don't believe in anymore and that causes people to make the decision to stop going. It's a fine line. I've been there. Going to watch Hibs is a habit, once you start going its hard to stop but if you make the decision to stop and follow it through its even harder to get into the habit of going back. That's why I think you should be supported in this and welcomed back and hopefully you can get the buzz again

blackpoolhibs
15-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Find myself agreeing with you on this wholeheartedly. I think that the people that do go every week get pissed off with people who criticise and don't go. I can see the point in them thinking that a part of the problem is the crowds aren't big enough and if more people went it would put us in a better financial footing to progress and if you're not going to do that then don't complain. I totally get that and empathise with them. However the reality of life is that people do have choices in life now, there are other ways to watch football without spending your hard earned cash on something that you don't believe in anymore and that causes people to make the decision to stop going. It's a fine line. I've been there. Going to watch Hibs is a habit, once you start going its hard to stop but if you make the decision to stop and follow it through its even harder to get into the habit of going back. That's why I think you should be supported in this and welcomed back and hopefully you can get the buzz again

I always get a buzz walking up St Clair Street when i get my first glimpse of the ground, the hairs still stand up on my neck every time i see the FF stand walking up the road.

It was when the game started, that feeling drained away and reality set in.

I started this thread because i felt the club was broken, the fans were disillusioned and could not see a better future.

Now we have a new manager, for me the slate is clean and a new SUABC initiative could go a long way to making things a little better.

As someone who'd stopped going, i don't need welcomed back, i just need something better to watch and a reason to keep coming back.

RIP Bestie
15-11-2013, 09:55 AM
I always get a buzz walking up St Clair Street when i get my first glimpse of the ground, the hairs still stand up on my neck every time i see the FF stand walking up the road.

It was when the game started, that feeling drained away and reality set in.

I started this thread because i felt the club was broken, the fans were disillusioned and could not see a better future.

Now we have a new manager, for me the slate is clean and a new SUABC initiative could go a long way to making things a little better.

As someone who'd stopped going, i don't need welcomed back, i just need something better to watch and a reason to keep coming back.
I've never seen that. How does it do that?

blackpoolhibs
15-11-2013, 09:58 AM
I've never seen that. How does it do that?

You obviously dont drink enough.

RIP Bestie
15-11-2013, 10:03 AM
:thumbsup:

southsider
15-11-2013, 11:50 AM

Me too. I don't drink any more. Mind you i don't drink any less either lol.