PDA

View Full Version : Stadium naming rights- should Hibs do it?

PatHead
12-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Notice that Bury have sold their naming rights at Gigg Lane which will be known as the JD Stadium. I know it has been asked before but how would you feel if Hibs managed to get say enough money to buy Billy Mackay for selling the name of the stadium for a couple of seasons? Personally I don't think it would bother me as I would always call it Easter Road. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24911458

God Petrie
12-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Only if AC Milan approach us with a multi million pound deal to officially name it the Leith San Siro

zlatan
12-11-2013, 12:47 PM
All media outlets still refer to the grounds by the old name regardless. I couldn't even have told you Dingwall was renamed until they were making jokes about the new title after the power cut. Do it, so long as it's not to become the 'crabbies arena'.

leemel
12-11-2013, 12:49 PM
wouldn't care as long as we got a good price.it'll always be known as easter road.

--------
12-11-2013, 12:51 PM
All media outlets still refer to the grounds by the old name regardless. I couldn't even have told you Dingwall was renamed until they were making jokes about the new title after the power cut. Do it, so long as it's not to become the 'crabbies arena'.

"Crabbies' Arena" would be an excellent name for it.

Lets any visitors know exactly what to expect in the way of 'atmosphere' and 'banter'.. :wink:

Seriously, of course we should. Money for nothing, and who cares what the official name is? It's Easter Road, the Holy Ground, and the Leith San Siro in the minds of the fans, and that won't change.

Seveno
12-11-2013, 12:55 PM
I'd settle for 'Butcher's Fortress'.

green.and.white
12-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Wasn't there a lower league team in England that had the naming rights to their stadium bought and it became Kit Kat Crescent? As long as it's not utterly stupid like that then I'm all for it

PatHead
12-11-2013, 12:58 PM
Wasn't there a lower league team in England that had the naming rights to their stadium bought and it became Kit Kat Crescent? As long as it's not utterly stupid like that then I'm all for it

York City as Cadbury were the main employer in the area.

tartanhibee
12-11-2013, 12:59 PM

Believe it was York city used to be called bootham crescent

Elephant Stone
12-11-2013, 01:01 PM
A 'no' from me. Money is dominating the game and taking tradition out of it enough at present without altering strip colours, team names, stadium names and badges, which is really all that's left untouched. Changing the stadium name is just another step towards days where it's "Sony Playstation FC" v "Tesco United" at the "Curry's Arena", an idea which gives me the boke.

IanM
12-11-2013, 01:03 PM
A 'no' from me. Money is dominating the game and taking tradition out of it enough at present without altering strip colours, team names, stadium names and badges, which is really all that's left untouched. Changing the stadium name is just another step towards days where it's "Sony Playstation FC" v "Tesco United" at the "Curry's Arena", an idea which gives me the boke.

i agree in sentiment but with the dwindling money being invested into scottish football, anything that gives hibs a lift and extra revenue is ok by me.

It'll always be easter road/leith san siro regardless to me anyway

hibby rae
12-11-2013, 01:05 PM

Tesco Utd? They play in Gorgie don't they?

green.and.white
12-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Tesco Utd? They play in Gorgie don't they?

Yes, at the Wongadome

steve75
12-11-2013, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't be against it, will always be Easter Road to me. But I think the way to do to keep everybody happy is to incorporate the original name. Such as, Cadbury's Easter Road etc.

Nakedmanoncrack
12-11-2013, 01:11 PM
No, under no circumstances.

southsider
12-11-2013, 01:13 PM
How i wish we could get off this money train. If i ever won the Euro Millions Jackpot i would go back to out charity roots and give free shirt space to a different charity each year. No to name change..... leave us our history.

Hibercelona
12-11-2013, 01:16 PM
A resounding "no" from me as well.

I'd hate the idea of our game becoming Americanized, with changes being made left right and centre, because clubs are simply happy to cash in on it.

A change in official stadium name will only be the beginning. Other "small changes" will eventually creep into our game and all those little small changes will eventually become large irreversible changes.

Could you imagine your grandchildren or great grandchildren going to watch the "Leith Cowboys" at the "Aero Arena"?

We're "Hibernian" and we play at "Easter Road". I never want that to change. Not for me, not for my children, not for my childrens children. Not ever.

Jones28
12-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Only if it was necessary for the survival of the club or something.

jacomo
12-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Naming rights can work if it starts with a new stadium - where do Arsenal or Bolton Wanderers play for example? Otherwise it doesn't really and I am not sure sponsors are that attracted to it.

Under certain circumstances I would be ok with it - for example, if the sponsor's cash enabled a major upgrade of the stadium. But if its a cheap deal that just involves sticking a big sign on Easter Road for a few years, then no. Our heritage should not come cheap.

Hibernia&Alba
12-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Only as absolute last resort from me, too. ER is sacred, and I wouldn't want it cheapened by a new corporate name every few years.

Craig_in_Prague
12-11-2013, 01:36 PM
they could name it the Pink Bus Shelter for all I care, so long as it means a better chance of seeing a good team on the park.

in modern times and trying to gain competitive advantage, we should consider all ways to get revenue streams.

Brightside
12-11-2013, 01:36 PM
I'm not that bothered about naming rights tbh. But we'd be lucky to get about £50k in Scottish fitba.

--------
12-11-2013, 01:44 PM
Naming rights can work if it starts with a new stadium - where do Arsenal or Bolton Wanderers play for example? Otherwise it doesn't really and I am not sure sponsors are that attracted to it.

Under certain circumstances I would be ok with it - for example, if the sponsor's cash enabled a major upgrade of the stadium. But if its a cheap deal that just involves sticking a big sign on Easter Road for a few years, then no. Our heritage should not come cheap.

We missed the chance when the rebuild was completed a couple of years back, or even when the Main Stand was replaced in 2001.

We could have re-named the stadium then a lot more easily; however, the fact is that Scottish football has sunk to such a low level in terms of the world game (and therefore in the eyes of potential sponsors) that maybe it wouldn't be worth it right now - what we gain in sponsorship we lose in supporter goodwill?

But if the right deal came along, I'd hope we'd grab it with both hands. Likesay - money for virtually nothing.

stoneyburn hibs
12-11-2013, 01:44 PM
If it was for a half decent sum of money then yes, it will happen at some point in the future.

jgl07
12-11-2013, 01:58 PM

I haven't seen much reference in the media to the City of Manchester Stadium (COMS) over the past year or so.

It all depends on what the history of the stadium was. It was painless to switch from COMS to Etihad. It would not have been the case had it been proposed to rename Maine Road.

Equally the Emirates and the Rebock gained acceptance rather than New Highbury or New Burnden Park.

Renaming St James' Park was a mistake and this was abandoned. It is likely to be highly unpopular. I think that most sponsors realize this and would not want to be caught up in a public opinion firestorm.

jamieross
12-11-2013, 02:03 PM
I wouldn't be against it, will always be Easter Road to me. But I think the way to do to keep everybody happy is to incorporate the original name. Such as, Cadbury's Easter Road etc.

Tenner and a few free Easter Eggs?

Im all for it, if, like above it incorporates the original name and helps the club out financially.

Saorsa
12-11-2013, 02:23 PM
If it's for good money tae invest on the park then yes. Silly money has ruined fitba IMO but for as long as that's the way it is then most avenues should be looked at though personally I'd draw the line at team colour and/or any change in name.

Geo_1875
12-11-2013, 02:23 PM
I haven't seen much reference in the media to the City of Manchester Stadium (COMS) over the past year or so.

It all depends on what the history of the stadium was. It was painless to switch from COMS to Etihad. It would not have been the case had it been proposed to rename Maine Road.

Equally the Emirates and the Rebock gained acceptance rather than New Highbury or New Burnden Park.

Renaming St James' Park was a mistake and this was abandoned. It is likely to be highly unpopular. I think that most sponsors realize this and would not want to be caught up in a public opinion firestorm.

Will be similar when West Ham move to the Olympic Stadium. They're willing to cut all ties with the Boleyn Ground/Upton Park but I doubt any amount of sponsorship will allow them to alter the name of the Moneypit Arena.

RIP
12-11-2013, 02:24 PM
If we are talking about a one-off payment then it's a no from me. If we had received a single payment back in 2009, that money would no longer be in the accounts, it would have been spent by now. And we would still be stuck with the name sine die

It has to be a licence fee for a fixed term e.g. 5 or 10 year term. Then if sponsor doesn't renew - the club can elicit another sponsor and a new name

neilmartinrocks
12-11-2013, 02:27 PM

Cadbury's Easter Egg Road surely?

Killiehibbie
12-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Have Cadbury ever made a Kit Kat?

leggeto
12-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Too right,its money for nothing will always be known as Easter road anyway

erskine-hibby
12-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Trump stadium has a certain ring about it;-)

jamieross
12-11-2013, 03:01 PM
If we are talking about a one-off payment then it's a no from me. If we had received a single payment back in 2009, that money would no longer be in the accounts, it would have been spent by now. And we would still be stuck with the name sine die

It has to be a licence fee for a fixed term e.g. 5 or 10 year term. Then if sponsor doesn't renew - the club can elicit another sponsor and a new name

I know Arsenal are a fair bit bigger but their Stadium deal is £150Mil to 2028 then if no one wants the rights then it goes back to being the original name of Ashburton Grove.

neilmartinrocks
12-11-2013, 03:09 PM

Nestle is it no?

Liams
12-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Im in favor for leith san siro, crabbies court, butchers b***ing hole and obv the javits arena!

down-the-slope
12-11-2013, 03:13 PM

Not true

Houchy
12-11-2013, 04:10 PM
i agree in sentiment but with the dwindling money being invested into scottish football, anything that gives hibs a lift and extra revenue is ok by me.

It'll always be easter road/leith san siro regardless to me anyway

Totally agree with this. Anything that gives us a few extra thousand that terry can use to strengthen is fine by me.

rcarter1
12-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Not to be entered into lightly. Eroding the identity of the club is uncool. Would have to be a pile of dosh. One minute you are chuffed with £100K, next you are greeting because another club holds out for 1 million. Deeply sceptical. Stay unique.

Sir David Gray
12-11-2013, 04:22 PM
It's always been Easter Road and will always be Easter Road.

We shouldn't be changing the heritage of the club in any way.

Scouse Hibee
12-11-2013, 04:35 PM
Jeez some folk stuck in the dark ages on this thread, in case you haven't realised, like it or not it's all about money, if the offer is good enough it will be done no doubt about it. I don't agree with it either but money talks.

EastCalderHibby
12-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Easter Road since 1875 no for me:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

PatHead
12-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Easter Road since 1875 no for me:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

Didn't move there until 1893..................sorry to be pedantic. Get your feelings though.

PatHead
12-11-2013, 04:59 PM

Think you are correct. Was it Rowntree MacIntosh who were then bought by Nestle?

maturehibby
12-11-2013, 05:02 PM

Sorry and hope to not be deemed pedantic but the Chocolate manufacturers was in fact Rowntrees not Cadburys who set up a small town/large village for the staff to stay in with its own shops church etc as they were a religious family (The Rowntrees) in York hence the Kit Kat stadium title

Killiehibbie
12-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Think you are correct. Was it Rowntree MacIntosh who were then bought by Nestle?Sometime in the 80's. Used to love visiting my Auntie who worked there.

EastCalderHibby
12-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Didn't move there until 1893..................sorry to be pedantic. Get your feelings though.

:aok:

Cabbage East
12-11-2013, 05:42 PM
**** that. I despair.

Hibby Gav
12-11-2013, 05:55 PM

this !

snooky
12-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Don't like the idea one bit however the only compromise I would accept would be ...

a) the product name followed by the ground name - say like, Admiral Easter Road Stadium
b) the product name could only be used for a maximum of two (or 3 at the most) years then a new sponsor sought.
c) the money from the 'name leasing' will go directly into the "improving the team" pot.

Behold. I have spoken :rules:

PatHead
12-11-2013, 06:19 PM
this !

So would you be for or against naming?

SouthamptonHibs
12-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Fans would always refer to it as Easter Road. Doesn't really matter what the stadium is called if we could put a better product on the park.
To change the name it would need to be big bucks coming in from it otherwise what's the point. £200k a season extra wouldn't make much difference to the team we could put out on the park....but £1mil a season would, but who would give us that kind of dough?

RyeSloan
12-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Fans would always refer to it as Easter Road. Doesn't really matter what the stadium is called if we could put a better product on the park. To change the name it would need to be big bucks coming in from it otherwise what's the point. £200k a season extra wouldn't make much difference to the team we could put out on the park....but £1mil a season would, but who would give us that kind of dough?

Warburtons?

jdships
12-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Not true

You are right
I have a relative who helped set up the renaming of an English Ch club ground and he told me it is in the agreement it must be referred to as
" THE XXXXXX STADIUM in all press releases , media quotes, interviews , correspondence , invoices etc " In other words " as it says on the
tin " !!!!
This doesn't stop the locals using the old name :greengrin

clerriehibs
12-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Notice that Bury have sold their naming rights at Gigg Lane which will be known as the JD Stadium. I know it has been asked before but how would you feel if Hibs managed to get say enough money to buy Billy Mackay for selling the name of the stadium for a couple of seasons? Personally I don't think it would bother me as I would always call it Easter Road. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24911458

I'd rsther have Easter Road than Billy Mackay.

Jonnyboy
12-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Jeez some folk stuck in the dark ages on this thread, in case you haven't realised, like it or not it's all about money, if the offer is good enough it will be done no doubt about it. I don't agree with it either but money talks.

My hearts says a resounding NO but my head says why not listen to what any offer might entail. Revenue into the club cannot be a bad thing after all.

I mean The Hubcap Arena in Liverpool works after all :greengrin

Sas_The_Hibby
12-11-2013, 08:59 PM
My hearts says a resounding NO but my head says why not listen to what any offer might entail. Revenue into the club cannot be a bad thing after all.

I mean The Hubcap Arena in Liverpool works after all :greengrin

You're unmasked at last, Jonnyboy, as a Jambo imposter!! :greengrin

Jonnyboy
12-11-2013, 09:00 PM

Well, it was fun while it lasted :greengrin

Talk about a foxes paw :greengrin

MyJo
12-11-2013, 09:27 PM
If it helps improve the club with additional sponsorship then why not. I'll be calling it Easter Road today, tomorrow and in 50 years time if somebody wants to put money into the team so that people in the telly call it Crabbies Park, The Arnold Clark Arena or The Standard Life Stadium for a wee while then what difference does it really make.

MyJo
12-11-2013, 09:28 PM

Either that or he is The Doctor :greengrin

Jonnyboy
12-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Either that or he is The Doctor :greengrin

Check out BBC1 on 23/11/13 to find out ..............

..... that I'm not :greengrin

SonOfDavidFrancey
12-11-2013, 11:53 PM
It does somewhat depend on the product (the checkatrade.com stadium does not inspire confidence)

monktonharp
13-11-2013, 12:25 AM
Notice that Bury have sold their naming rights at Gigg Lane which will be known as the JD Stadium. I know it has been asked before but how would you feel if Hibs managed to get say enough money to buy Billy Mackay for selling the name of the stadium for a couple of seasons? Personally I don't think it would bother me as I would always call it Easter Road. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24911458without reading any of the following posts to your original thread Pat/head , I would be totally opposed to renaming our stadium unless it became the original .of our ground further up Easter Road. No problem with calling one or two stands after Farmer, for what he did to bring us back from the brink, or after Pat Stanton for what he did on the park and he is really the only player i'd like a stand named after. the FF stand speaks for itself for the obvious contribution of those men but otherwise, leave it alone. imho. money is not everything, in my opinion, but there we go.

Beefster
13-11-2013, 06:29 AM
If we'd had had the Web 30 years ago, this thread would be the same but about shirt sponsorship.

Radar67
13-11-2013, 01:12 PM
I would be ok with it as long as we were not sponsored by Hertz rent a car!

PatHead
13-11-2013, 09:00 PM
Derby have done it as well for £7m over 10 years. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24930477

--------
13-11-2013, 09:26 PM
If we'd had had the Web 30 years ago, this thread would be the same but about shirt sponsorship.

Yup. It's a source of income, and provided it's managed responsibly, it's nothing to get steamed up about.

As long as the name chosen isn't ridiculous, and the income's a decent amount, there's absolutely no reason not to do it.

Speedy
14-11-2013, 01:44 PM

I get your point but it's not quite the same. That would be comparable to plastering advertising round Easter Road (which we already have).

I'm not totally against it if the price is right but I think it's unrealistic that we'd get an offer which would make a material difference. We already have a bigger budget than most of the league, which doesn't guarantee anything, would another £100k or so make such a big difference?

NAE NOOKIE
14-11-2013, 07:02 PM
They can call it what they want as long as we get a load of dosh for it .... It will always be Easter Road. A Rose by any other name as they say.

I can never understand why we havnt approached 7up to sponsor us. Now thats a shirt I would buy to wear to watch Hibs play at the 7up arena.

sidjames
14-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Caravan park. Might be apt.

Vini1875
14-11-2013, 07:54 PM
A no for me unless it was being Hibernian Park. Not any random company name that throws a few quid at us.

MyJo
14-11-2013, 10:30 PM
I get your point but it's not quite the same. That would be comparable to plastering advertising round Easter Road (which we already have).

I'm not totally against it if the price is right but I think it's unrealistic that we'd get an offer which would make a material difference. We already have a bigger budget than most of the league, which doesn't guarantee anything, would another £100k or so make such a big difference?

£150k could have got us Leigh Griffiths........FACT! :greengrin

Bishop Hibee
14-11-2013, 10:41 PM

:top marks

We should stay open to the idea. Hibs fans would always call it Easter Road. The only caveat I'd put in place would be that we shouldn't take money from any old company e.g. Wonga.

Jonnyboy
14-11-2013, 10:45 PM
How about this lot = Hibernian Park :wink:

http://www.aviva.com/about-us/heritage/companies/hibernian-general-insurance/

PatHead
14-11-2013, 10:45 PM
:top marks

We should stay open to the idea. Hibs fans would always call it Easter Road. The only caveat I'd put in place would be that we shouldn't take money from any old company e.g. Wonga.

What you don't want it called the New Wongadome?

Bishop Hibee
14-11-2013, 10:57 PM

One in Edinburgh is enough although that crumbling wreck will hopefully not last much longer anyway.

Jonnyboy
14-11-2013, 10:59 PM

Aptly named for our neighbours seeing as it's coming down in never ending instalments :wink:

Hibbyradge
14-11-2013, 11:07 PM
"Crabbies' Arena" would be an excellent name for it.

Lets any visitors know exactly what to expect in the way of 'atmosphere' and 'banter'.. :wink:

'Doddie's arena' has a certain authenticity to it...:wink:

monktonharp
14-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Didn't move there until 1893..................sorry to be pedantic. Get your feelings though.from Hibernian park up the road and actually on ER, I think.

monktonharp
14-11-2013, 11:22 PM
How about this lot = Hibernian Park :wink:

http://www.aviva.com/about-us/heritage/companies/hibernian-general-insurance/that'll do for me jonnyboy

Hibbyradge
14-11-2013, 11:29 PM
They can call the stadium almost anything they like, if it helps put a good team on the park.

SMAXXA
14-11-2013, 11:46 PM
The BT Easter Road Stadium

after all the cash they are throwing around just now could be a winner plus it's a nice wee name that wouldn't take over