PDA

View Full Version : scotsman's "greatest ever scottish player"

clerriehibs
11-11-2013, 12:58 PM
Scotland's greatest ever player ... I don't think so. I can think of half a dozen candidates that are easily better ...http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/football-hall-of-fame-bobby-walker-inducted-1-3183212

Law
Dalglish
Baxter
Gordon Smith
Reilly
Riordan 8-)

Geo_1875
11-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Scotland's greatest ever player ... I don't think so. I can think of half a dozen candidates that are easily better ...http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/football-hall-of-fame-bobby-walker-inducted-1-3183212

Law
Dalglish
Baxter
Gordon Smith
Reilly
Riordan 8-)

Can't really comment as I never saw him play. However, that doesn't seem to have stopped many people proclaiming him as something special. The contemporary reports do seem to support the belief that he was a very good player.

Sumner
11-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Scotlands greatest ever layer?

Rod Stewart had 100s he said

Killiehibbie
11-11-2013, 01:11 PM
I thought somebody had found a decent bookie.

JimBHibees
11-11-2013, 01:11 PM

Law
Dalglish
Baxter
Gordon Smith
Reilly
Riordan 8-)

How do you know if you havent seen him play?

Was he a bookie in his spare time? :greengrin

Sumner
11-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Frank McAvennie?
"hunners o' burds" ?

Kato
11-11-2013, 01:17 PM
He's been proclaimed as Scotland's greatest ever player and "has been hailed as British football’s first superstar, a precursor to the likes of David Beckham", on the Hearts web-site.

Must have been some player but the hype is a bit sickening.

Hibercelona
11-11-2013, 01:30 PM
I don't think you can really call for a "best player" in football. Different footballers play in different positions and are therefore assigned to do different jobs.

A best Scottish XI would be more appropriate I think.

Leith Mo
11-11-2013, 01:33 PM
All part of the Establishment newspaper's love-in for the Establishment team - check out the articles on McCrae's Batallion and Haymarket Clock in the same edition....remember they are the Special Ones.....

Pretty Boy
11-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Is there any need for a thread that's threatening to lay into a guy none of us ever saw play?

From all i've ever read about him he seemed like a top player in his day and the honour and accolades seem fair enough.

clerriehibs
11-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Is there any need for a thread that's threatening to lay into a guy none of us ever saw play?

From all i've ever read about him he seemed like a top player in his day and the honour and accolades seem fair enough.

Nah, you're right. We shouldn't have an opinion.

And anything the scotsman prints is uncontestable.

HibbySpurs
11-11-2013, 02:17 PM
No coincidence that today is armistace day and the Scotsman are printing articles about Hearts players from the early 1900's......

I'm sure the guy was a great player and probably is desrving of being inducted into the hall of fame but as usual it's just banging on about how Hearts won the war, saved football blah blah blah....

Pretty nauesating actually.

I observed two minutes silence at 11:00 today but it was for all those who've given their lifes in service to our country including the likes of those who served in the McCrae Batallion, it's utterly sickening that things like that are being used to promote a football club in this day and age.

HIBERNIAN-0762
11-11-2013, 02:25 PM
No coincidence that today is armistace day and the Scotsman are printing articles about Hearts players from the early 1900's......

I'm sure the guy was a great player and probably is desrving of being inducted into the hall of fame but as usual it's just banging on about how Hearts won the war, saved football blah blah blah....

Pretty nauesating actually.

I observed two minutes silence at 11:00 today but it was for all those who've given their lifes in service to our country including the likes of those who served in the McCrae Batallion, it's utterly sickening that things like that are being used to promote a football club in this day and age.

If you go on Facebook page "Lost Edinburgh" they have been well reprimanded for suggesting it was a yam only thing, not one of the gutless morons who post this nonsense up have replied.

Kato
11-11-2013, 02:30 PM

Don't think anyone is doubting that.

It's the hype that is being criticised.

Still I suppose we should just shut-up and let such nonsense go uncontested.

cmcd
11-11-2013, 02:30 PM

Law
Dalglish
Baxter
Gordon Smith
Reilly
Riordan 8-)

I assume you are having a laugh mentioning Riordan

Pretty Boy
11-11-2013, 02:38 PM

I fail to see any ridiculous hype in the article linked.

There's a lot of praise and possibly a bit hyperbole but that always happens when players receive such honours.

clerriehibs
11-11-2013, 02:45 PM
I assume you are having a laugh mentioning Riordan

Err ...

Part/Time Supporter
11-11-2013, 02:53 PM

Yes, if the hype is harmless. Why does everything even vaguely connected with Hearts have to be "contested"? I also fail to see what this has to do with articles about World War I or Remembrance. It just makes people who are complaining about this look petty.

As for Walker himself, yes it appears to have been a big oversight that he has not previously been inducted, but I suspect this has more to do with the fact that he played a long time ago. If you go through the list of other inducted players, most of them were alive at the time of their induction. This meant that they could attend the induction ceremony and associated dinner. Presumably to part fund the institution they have to sell tickets to that dinner, which is easier to do if you can say that (say) Henrik Larsson is showing up.

There are very few players from Walker's era or before inducted, which is perhaps an historical error in the sense that Scotland was at the forefront of football at this time, if the international results are used as a yardstick of this. I think they also need to reduce the number inducted each year, before it starts becoming a "hall of very good" rather than a credible hall of fame.

Kato
11-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Yes, if the hype is harmless.

I fail to see any ridiculous hype in the article linked.

There's a lot of praise and possibly a bit hyperbole but that always happens when players receive such honours.

Fair do's. We should all shut-up.

ancient hibee
11-11-2013, 05:30 PM
Once again no Joe Baker-disgraceful.

confused
11-11-2013, 05:37 PM

He was ENGLISH

WindyMiller
11-11-2013, 05:38 PM

Very few non-Scots have made the list.

Hibercelona
11-11-2013, 05:41 PM

That would be a fair point if Joe Baker was indeed Scottish. :wink:

WindyMiller
11-11-2013, 05:45 PM

Terry Butcher?
Laudrup?
Larrson?

clerriehibs
11-11-2013, 05:48 PM

It's for Scottish football, so non Scots feature on the list.

Hibercelona
11-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Fair do's. Didn't really check the list to see all the players that were on it.

Does seem odd that Baker seems to have been overlooked if that's the case.

basehibby
11-11-2013, 07:33 PM

Aye but he WAS Scottish - just not eligible by the rules of the day.

My daughter was born in Australia to one Scottish and one English born parent - she consideres herself - and IS Scottish.

Joe was born in England to Scottish parents and would have loved to have played for Scotland - to deny him his real nationality is a bit insulting to his memory IMO.

WindyMiller
11-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Fair do's. Didn't really check the list to see all the players that were on it.

Does seem odd that Baker seems to have been overlooked if that's the case.

To be fair to you mate, the only non-Scots I've noticed on the list, played for the O.F.

Miguel
11-11-2013, 10:02 PM
You can obviously only judge players from the distant past by their records, but they do tend to get short shrift with these things. Walker seems a justified inclusion. But it's also true that non OF Scottish players are massively under represented. You'll get pundits fawning over Baxter and Jinky, but how often do you get similar tributes to, say, Gordon Smith?

Bishop Hibee
11-11-2013, 10:18 PM
You can obviously only judge players from the distant past by their records, but they do tend to get short shrift with these things. Walker seems a justified inclusion. But it's also true that non OF Scottish players are massively under represented. You'll get pundits fawning over Baxter and Jinky, but how often do you get similar tributes to, say, Gordon Smith?

Correct. I'n happy to accept the opinion of my grandpa, dad and uncles that he was the greatest player in Scottish football history.

I wonder when any of the players from the Hibs team of the 20's my Grandpa talked of as being one of Hibs best will be honoured.

WindyMiller
11-11-2013, 10:32 PM

:agree:

Winner with 3 different (non-O.F. Clubs) says it all.

Dan Sarf
11-11-2013, 11:24 PM
:agree:

Winner with 3 different (non-O.F. Clubs) says it all.

What he said.

:flag:

--------
12-11-2013, 12:02 AM
Correct. I'n happy to accept the opinion of my grandpa, dad and uncles that he was the greatest player in Scottish football history.

I wonder when any of the players from the Hibs team of the 20's my Grandpa talked of as being one of Hibs best will be honoured.

James Dunn? Inside right in the Wembley Wizards team? Should be a shoo-in.