PDA

View Full Version : Ronaldo v Messi

RoslinInstHibby
11-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Messi has ben world player of the year for the past 3 years or so, cannae really argue and he has been unreal, but i genuinly now think that Ronaldo has surpassed him...anyone agree?

Steve20
11-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Nope. Messi is still the best player in the world, imo.

CB_NO3
11-11-2013, 08:37 AM
At the moment yes , but he is competing to be the best player in the world against himself as Messi is or has been injured lately.

brian6-2
11-11-2013, 08:39 AM
Messi all the way, i believe he is going to get better as well.

Ronaldo is excellent but i dont think he is getting any better i think he is at hos peak now.

RoslinInstHibby
11-11-2013, 08:44 AM
Messi all the way, i believe he is going to get better as well.

Ronaldo is excellent but i dont think he is getting any better i think he is at hos peak now.

i do think he is improving, his goals stats are superb, 27 goals in 19 games this season.

Gus
11-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Ronaldo

chinaman
11-11-2013, 09:19 AM
Messi is 5 feet tall gets kicked about every game never bites,the courage of a pitbull, the other guy is 6 foot plus tall and takes longer than any woman in existence to put his moisturiser and hair gel on. Wee lionel just loves playing football and proving yet again hes the worlds best

lucky
11-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Ronaldo for me. But there is not a lot between them

Pretty Boy
11-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Messi for me.

Both are fantastic footballers and all time greats though.

GreenCastle
11-11-2013, 09:53 AM
Messi has ben world player of the year for the past 3 years or so, cannae really argue and he has been unreal, but i genuinly now think that Ronaldo has surpassed him...anyone agree?

No - Messi still No1 - Messi still more of the complete player.

Right now Messi has just been unfortunate with injuries - doesn't mean Ronaldo is better though.

thebakerboy
11-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Messi for me , nobody else could have scored the goal he did against Milan last week. But I do think he may have his mind on the world cup just now and doesn't want to risk missing it so any knock or small injury he is going off when before he would have played on.

jonny
11-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Ronaldo for me. I think his all round play is better.

Hibs90
11-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Messi, best player ever.

cleanyman
11-11-2013, 10:22 AM
Ronaldo.

Liam_Hibs
11-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Ronaldo is frightening at the moment.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

AngusHibby
11-11-2013, 10:30 AM
If Ronaldo doesn't win the Ballon D'or it's a scandal

Andy74
11-11-2013, 10:38 AM
I've always favoured Ronaldo if I had to pick one to be in a team. He has everything with his height and pace as well as the skill and finishing ability.

Messi is obviously incredible in a different way but I think Ronaldo will come through in any type of game situation with his all round attributes.

Steven_Hibs
11-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Ronaldo for me, Messi gives the ball away too much for my liking

Monts
11-11-2013, 11:05 AM
I'd rather have Ronaldo in my team, but I wouldn't complain too much if we got messi on a free ;)

Leishy1995
11-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Ronaldo is my pick most times, think Messi has been incredible but he doesn't seem himself when I watch him now. Whilst Ronaldo is smashing in hat tricks I watch Messi and he doesn't seem as lively as he was.

This season Ronaldo has been head and shoulders above the rest. Ribery is probably closest.

Ell_Chrisso
11-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Messi a more complete player? That I disagree with. Ronaldo can do it all, from winning the ball back, to scoring headed goals to banging them in from 35 yards. Messi is the more natural finisher but Ronaldo for me is on top

Craig_in_Prague
11-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Messi, every time.

The best player to have ever played football?

lapsedhibee
11-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Ronaldo can do it all, from winning the ball back, to scoring headed goals to banging them in from 35 yards.

... yet doesn't seem to fully understand that he's never really going to get the ball off three Barca players in a triangle ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey-dX8nJEWQ

TRC
11-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Messi every time, has more ability with a football, Ronaldo as he gets older will lose the pace and power (see fat Ronaldo) Messi's ability is sheer touch and intelligence, so his ability will only grow with time IMHO, also I feel Ronaldo all be it a very good player but is greedy, messi is anything but.

Ell_Chrisso
11-11-2013, 12:21 PM
... yet doesn't seem to fully understand that he's never really going to get the ball off three Barca players in a triangle ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey-dX8nJEWQ

Ok, so Messi can play against 3 defenders by himself and get the ball?

Behave

lapsedhibee
11-11-2013, 12:54 PM
Ok, so Messi can play against 3 defenders by himself and get the ball?

Behave

The point I was trying to make was not that he didn't get the ball, but that he was daft to try.

Messi's too smart to attempt that particular stunt. (Nor does he stamp his foot if he doesn't get his way.)

allezsauzee
11-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Iniesta

brian6-2
11-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Messi injured again for 2 months. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24900001

Hibercelona
11-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Messi for the greatest player award again.

Ronaldo for the greatest twat award.

Scònaldò
11-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Messi for the greatest player award again.

Ronaldo for the greatest twat award.

Would a twat give countless of his hours and money to charity?

Viva Ronaldo!

Hibercelona
11-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Why is he a twat?

Viva Ronaldo!

He's like this eras David Beckham (albeit a far better footballer).

A pretty boy with an over inflated opinion of himself.

Messi on the other hand has class on and off the field. :wink:

clerriehibs
11-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Messi is 5 feet tall gets kicked about every game never bites,the courage of a pitbull, the other guy is 6 foot plus tall and takes longer than any woman in existence to put his moisturiser and hair gel on. Wee lionel just loves playing football and proving yet again hes the worlds best

you're a wee man, then?

Scònaldò
11-11-2013, 02:24 PM

He can't be all that bad if you think he's a pretty boy :greengrin

I'd probably agree with all of that if I'm being honest but being more in to Madrid I'd always say Ronaldo.

Leishy1995
11-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Messi every time, has more ability with a football, Ronaldo as he gets older will lose the pace and power (see fat Ronaldo) Messi's ability is sheer touch and intelligence, so his ability will only grow with time IMHO, also I feel Ronaldo all be it a very good player but is greedy, messi is anything but.

Think CR7 is gonna be completely different to Fat Ronaldo who is now very ripped himself.

Messi lately has been greedy and cost me many bets because he refused to play in Alexis Sanchez and Pedro

Fergus52
11-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Would a twat give countless of his hours and money to charity?

Viva Ronaldo!

No offence but that point is just ridiculous.

I can think of many twats who have done loads for charity

Leishy1995
11-11-2013, 02:58 PM

Also pays for his friend to live after he helped him in his career. Refuses to get tattoos so he can give blood amongst other stuff. Just because we see him with a cocky swagger on a football pitch that he can back up doesn't make him a twat. The tantrums are all because he has drive to win.

RoslinInstHibby
11-11-2013, 03:06 PM

So would Ronaldo make your top 5 players in the world?

Haymaker
11-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Ronaldo is incredible. His ability, skill, intelligence, dedication, technique and application are a joy to be hold. He comes across badly because he is driven to win, he cannot accept 2nd or failure and has worked all his life to be the best player in the world. His goal scoring record at RM is unbelievable. He will lose some pace and some power but he will, IMO, change his game to compensate this.

Messi is incredible. His skill, balance, intelligence, technique, dedication and application are a joy to be hold. He comes across better because he "plays free" in what was probably the best club side in history that maximised his talent. His goal scoring feats are just mind blowing. His only problem seems to be coming from niggling injuries, probably due to his childhood illness and playing so much football on a developing body but he will get round those.

In short - both of these players are incredible. I cannot place one above another yet I could do that to any other player in the world.

In 20 years+ we will still be talking about these two who are the best players to ever play football. And we got to see them week in week out. It will be our version of being able to say "I saw the Famous Five."

jacomo
11-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Messi, every time.

The best player to have ever played football?

Yes I think he probably is. But Ronaldo is a very good shout for the award this year.

GreenCastle
11-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Ronaldo is incredible. His ability, skill, intelligence, dedication, technique and application are a joy to be hold. He comes across badly because he is driven to win, he cannot accept 2nd or failure and has worked all his life to be the best player in the world. His goal scoring record at RM is unbelievable. He will lose some pace and some power but he will, IMO, change his game to compensate this.

Messi is incredible. His skill, balance, intelligence, technique, dedication and application are a joy to be hold. He comes across better because he "plays free" in what was probably the best club side in history that maximised his talent. His goal scoring feats are just mind blowing. His only problem seems to be coming from niggling injuries, probably due to his childhood illness and playing so much football on a developing body but he will get round those.

In short - both of these players are incredible. I cannot place one above another yet I could do that to any other player in the world.

In 20 years+ we will still be talking about these two who are the best players to ever play football. And we got to see them week in week out. It will be our version of being able to say "I saw the Famous Five."

:agree:

Messi I believe has achieved more as a player and in a team over the last few years and will be remembered as the best player ever.

Currently though Ronaldo is in better form - mainly due to Messi not being fully fit since last season - however Messi still has scored 14 goals this season in rough the same number of games.

With Messi being out for 2 months chances are Ronaldo will finish above him for the 1st time in the goal scoring charts - will he help Real win the league ? We shall see as Barcelona and Athletico are both very strong.

Treadstone
11-11-2013, 03:17 PM

Think he is over the niggling injuries (current injury happens at all levels of the game) last 5 full seasons hasn't played any less than fifty games.

worcesterhibby
11-11-2013, 03:25 PM
Messi ?…..Nah:tsk tsk:

Ronaldo ?….Nah:tsk tsk:

Tortolano ?……Now you're talking ! :greengrin

Haymaker
11-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Think he is over the niggling injuries (current injury happens at all levels of the game) last 5 full seasons hasn't played any less than fifty games.

I havent read what it is but I seem to hear a lot that he is "a doubt" or tweeking his hammy. I dont follow him religiously but I hear that a lot.

Scònaldò
11-11-2013, 03:49 PM

I don't think it is.

Just out of curiosity, can you name a few please?

worcesterhibby
11-11-2013, 04:22 PM
I don't think it is.

Just out of curiosity, can you name a few please?

Jimmy Saville ?
John Terry ?

(actually I think Ronaldo is amazing..but Fergus is right..plenty of famous idiots do charity work)

Jonnyboy
11-11-2013, 04:22 PM
I'm a fan of Messi and consider him the best in the world but I would concede that Ronaldo should get the Balon D'or this time around given his phenomenal goalscoring feats

Scònaldò
11-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Jimmy Saville ?
John Terry ?

(actually I think Ronaldo is amazing..but Fergus is right..plenty of famous idiots do charity work)

And? Ronaldo probably isn't one of these 'plenty' people.

What's Ronaldo done so wrong to even think about putting him in the same bracket of Saville, never mind Terry.

JMac
11-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Overall, taking everything into account, Ronaldo has always been the best player in the world. What can he not do? The boy has everything

Hibercelona
11-11-2013, 04:36 PM

What's Ronaldo done so wrong to even think about putting him in the same bracket of Saville, never mind Terry.

Nobodies putting him in the same bracket as those 2.

But just because he gives money to charity, doesn't mean he wouldn't be an absoulute d**k to meet in person.

He seems to have an over inflated ego that Messi doesn't have and i'm sure Messi does plenty for charity as well.

Jonnyboy
11-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Overall, taking everything into account, Ronaldo has always been the best player in the world. What can he not do? The boy has everything

Beat Messi to the Balon D'or over the last three years? :wink:

I honestly think Ronaldo gets folks backs up because of his histrionics on the park. I've no doubt he's a decent bloke, he's a wonderful footballer and I'm sure he does loads for charity but his on field persona seems to blight him in some eyes

worcesterhibby
11-11-2013, 04:43 PM

Like I said in my post. I wouldn't for one minute put Ronaldo in the same bracket at Saville or Terry…but you asked for a list of people who do a lot of charity work but are total idiots…so I supplied a couple of names.

That's all.

Scònaldò
11-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Nobodies putting him in the same bracket as those 2.

But just because he gives money to charity, doesn't mean he wouldn't be an absoulute d**k to meet in person.

He seems to have an over inflated ego that Messi doesn't have and i'm sure Messi does plenty for charity as well.

But what your saying in reality might also be reversed, Ronaldo could be the nicest guy in the world and messi could be an absolute d**k to meet in person :greengrin

MKHIBEE
11-11-2013, 05:16 PM
I feel that Ronaldo has the edge in respect of his ability to turn games round for the team when things are going against them, Messi, brilliant though he undoubtedly his needs players around him to be performing to hit the heights although that is probably more to do with the way Barca play the game

chinaman
11-11-2013, 05:54 PM
you're a wee man, then?am 6 foot 2 and 18 stone

is that wee enough

TRC
11-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Where does bale fit into this, anyone think he'll be up there in a year or two? personally think he'll be another McManaman. he's playing in a better league now.

Chump
11-11-2013, 06:33 PM
I've been an enormous fan of Messi and agreed with the accolades he's picked up over the last 4 years but you just can't ignore Ronaldo to the point that I now believe he will be awarded this years Balloon D'Or!! Both are still on a level that no other player is and it is so so close but Ronaldo for me!!

Everytime Messi scores a hat-trick Ronaldo responds with one himself. I believe he has done things for football in the same way Woods did for golf.....yes there is a self-obsessed element that is annoying but for true talent, entertainment and all round ability Ronaldo gets my vote by a whisker....I think Messi's antics and negative publicity will mean he will lose out...

It's the best current rivalry in sport just now (yes I have my football tinted glasses on but you just can't get enough of them both!) and they have inspired so many others in football from all levels!! Hats off to both of them :not worth

MWHIBBIES
11-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Messi is 5 feet tall gets kicked about every game never bites,the courage of a pitbull, the other guy is 6 foot plus tall and takes longer than any woman in existence to put his moisturiser and hair gel on. Wee lionel just loves playing football and proving yet again hes the worlds bestYou act like Messi doesn't dive around and doesn't moan to refs when people tackle him, which is completely untrue

lapsedhibee
11-11-2013, 06:39 PM
you just can't ignore Ronaldo to the point that I now believe he will be awarded this years Balloon D'Or!!

Apposite or what. :wink:

Chump
11-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Where does bale fit into this, anyone think he'll be up there in a year or two? personally think he'll be another McManaman. he's playing in a better league now.

Gareth Bale is an enormous talent but he needs a full season or two at an exceptional level before he should even be talked about in the same breath as Messi and Ronaldo. Luis Suarez for me is next in line behind Messi and Ronaldo....absolute genius and he is pure entertainment. He has added consistency and a full range of goals to his already impressive game

TRC
11-11-2013, 06:40 PM
It's the best current rivalry in sport just now (yes I have my football tinted glasses on but you just can't get enough of them both!) and they have inspired so many others in football from all levels!! Hats off to both of them :not worth

Nadal Djokovic is just as good I think but like you say football tinted specks

Chump
11-11-2013, 06:41 PM
Apposite or what. :wink:

:confused:

AngusHibby
11-11-2013, 06:48 PM

Over inflated opinion? He's in the top two players in the world!

As for class off the field, don't remember Ronaldo ever dodging taxes...

lapsedhibee
11-11-2013, 06:58 PM
:confused:

A twat up for the Golden Balloon award. Apposite.

HibbyAndy
11-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Ronaldo.

Chump
11-11-2013, 07:29 PM
A twat up for the Golden Balloon award. Apposite.
:greengrin

chinaman
11-11-2013, 08:55 PM
You act like Messi doesn't dive around and doesn't moan to refs when people tackle him, which is completely untrue

Never seen him do it but the ladyboy is the maestro that cant be denied

DH1875
11-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Ronaldo :agree:.

MWHIBBIES
11-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Never seen him do it but the ladyboy is the maestro that cant be deniedYou have never seen Messi dive? He does it as regularly as Ronaldo easily. As for moaning at refs, Barca do that better than anyone

Jonnyboy
11-11-2013, 09:14 PM
You have never seen Messi dive? He does it as regularly as Ronaldo easily. As for moaning at refs, Barca do that better than anyone

No he doesn't. He's brilliant at staying on his feet and when he goes down it's because he's been fouled.

As to the point re refs, I agree Barca are bad for it but no worse than that thug Sergio Ramos and his team mates

Stringer
11-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Ronaldo is the better player. Messi is also a bully. Thinks he is bigger than the club

chinaman
11-11-2013, 10:05 PM
You have never seen Messi dive? He does it as regularly as Ronaldo easily. As for moaning at refs, Barca do that better than anyone
bet you wish you put yer hard hat on the day, obviously took a dull one at work . no xxxx EVER does it as regularly as your pin up.

Hank Schrader
11-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Nope. Messi is still the best player in the world, imo.

Cant possibly add to this. Perfectly put.

Teo10
11-11-2013, 11:21 PM
All those saying Messi dives?! Have a word... He gets booted left right and centre yet tries to stay on his feet, Ronaldo gets one bit of contact, stops running and throws his arms in a tantrum at the ref! To say Barca are bad for ganging up on the ref, Real are just as bad! When you have players like Ramos and Pepe! Both bombscares!

Oh yeah, Messi for me... Natural ability, natural talent. No stepovers needed and still glides past a player

The Green Goblin
12-11-2013, 01:05 AM
Ronaldo will probably edge it this time, but its Messi for me. Give it a couple of seasons and Neymar will be on that list I reckon. I think Iniesta and Xavi are up there with the greatest ever too.

The Green Goblin
12-11-2013, 01:08 AM
Just cant stand the way Ronaldo gives those wee glances up at the stadium screens to check if he's on them though.... :greengrin

That last penalty shootout in the euros where he wanted to take the last pen cos of the glory and ended up with egg on his face kind of sums up a more vain and foolish side to him that is just irritating.

Imho

Captain Trips
12-11-2013, 01:51 AM
Ronaldo for me. Posted from The Aria Lss Vegas yeeeeeeehaaaaaaa

MWHIBBIES
12-11-2013, 04:24 AM
No he doesn't. He's brilliant at staying on his feet and when he goes down it's because he's been fouled.

As to the point re refs, I agree Barca are bad for it but no worse than that thug Sergio Ramos and his team matesSo you are saying Messi doesn't dive? Really?

It will take you 2 minutes on youtube to find 10/15 Messi dives, he does go down when he hasn't been fouled pretty regularly, Messi is brilliant no doubt, the best IMO but he dives.

As for Ramos, he is unquestionably a twat and Real do hound refs but Barca do it as well, two wrongs etc etc

Pete
12-11-2013, 05:00 AM
I'm a fan of Messi and consider him the best in the world but I would concede that Billy McKay should get the Balon D'or this time around given his phenomenal goalscoring feats

Sign him up!

Squealing pig
12-11-2013, 06:22 AM
Hink messi would struggle at hibs, ronaldo would b better signing

Alex Trager
12-11-2013, 06:26 AM
For me. Ronaldo is an athlete. A monster of a man.
Messi is the artist. Paints the football pitch with delightful bursts of brilliance that I've never ever seen.

For the award. Probably Ronaldo.

jamieross
12-11-2013, 02:42 PM
Never seen Messi dive ever...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSLxa3MYMcw

Ronaldo has to win it for me. Even before Messis injury. Both amazing but Ronaldo edges it for me.

Alex Trager
12-11-2013, 03:24 PM
That's possibly one of the worst videos I've ever seen trying to condemn someone. Jeezo. There's about three dives in the whole compilation

lapsedhibee
12-11-2013, 06:23 PM
That's possibly one of the worst videos I've ever seen trying to condemn someone. Jeezo. There's about three dives in the whole compilation

There's a Ronnie compilation with about twice as many dives as that in one game for Manure against Tottingham.

Jonnyboy
12-11-2013, 08:01 PM
So you are saying Messi doesn't dive? Really?

It will take you 2 minutes on youtube to find 10/15 Messi dives, he does go down when he hasn't been fouled pretty regularly, Messi is brilliant no doubt, the best IMO but he dives.

As for Ramos, he is unquestionably a twat and Real do hound refs but Barca do it as well, two wrongs etc etc

OK you got me. I implied Messi never dives when I should have said rarely. The youtube video someone posted after your reply shows a handful and if this were poker I'd say I'll see you Messi diving video and raise you a whacking great Ronaldo diving video - if I could be ersed looking for it :wink: Glad you agree Madrid are every bit as bad as Barca for hounding the ref though

Sign him up!

:greengrin

Haymaker
12-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Just cant stand the way Ronaldo gives those wee glances up at the stadium screens to check if he's on them though.... :greengrin

That last penalty shootout in the euros where he wanted to take the last pen cos of the glory and ended up with egg on his face kind of sums up a more vain and foolish side to him that is just irritating.

Imho

Believe the coach admitted he told Ronaldo to take number 5. He was, rightly, crucified.

EDIT: Quite a few conflicting newspaper reports so this argument is pointless either way!

Green Cabbage 7
14-11-2013, 12:31 AM

I met two old guys who remember the famous five well, the only player they were interested in was Gordon Smith, the best player they had ever seen, and that included today's players, anyway messi for me just edges it as I feel he is the more complete player, messi's awareness edges it.

GreenLake
17-11-2013, 12:22 AM
Ronaldo is the greater player by a small margin. Messi has been playing in the best team in the world, perhaps the best team ever, and it's been perfect for him to play with that team around him. Ronaldo on the other hand has been playing in one of the worst ever Real Madrid teams. If they had swapped teams, I think Messi would have done less well at Madrid and Ronaldo would have played even better at Barca.

sambajustice
17-11-2013, 02:26 AM
Messi. The best.

Think people are just saying Ronaldo to be different or to try be controversial.

matty_f
17-11-2013, 10:34 AM
There's very little between them, but I would say Messi is the best player in the world.

blackpoolhibs
17-11-2013, 10:39 AM
I think Messi has been better than Ronaldo for a few years, but recently before he was injured the form of Ronaldo had in my opinion been slightly better than Messi's.

Two great players. :top marks

Dashing Bob S
17-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Messi any day of the week. Though Ronaldo is a great second banana and probably deserves it this time round.

Chump
19-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Tonight's performance reiterates my opinion that he will sneak it and win World Player of the Year!!

Piqué
19-11-2013, 09:30 PM
I am a Messi man but Ronaldo is going to win this year, deservedly so. I don't think Ronaldo would get half the love that he does if he hadn't played for Manchester United though

Chump
19-11-2013, 09:34 PM
I am a Messi man but Ronaldo is going to win this year, deservedly so. I don't think Ronaldo would get half the love that he does if he hadn't played for Manchester United though

I'm a Liverpool fanatic but sometimes you just have to acknowledge world class and he is that in abundance. Him and Messi are on one tier on their own I think and then a few others below on a separate tier (including Suarez :greengrin)

Stevie Reid
19-11-2013, 09:42 PM

A couple of things: -

1) How do you know what his opinion of himself is?

2) Ignoring his considerable achievements for Manchester United and Portugal, Ronaldo has scored 199 goals in 176 starts for Real Madrid in the last four years. Regardless of what his opinion of himself is, how could it possibly be overinflated?

PS - Beckham was an excellent player

Jonnyboy
19-11-2013, 09:46 PM
I'm very much a Messi fan but CR will deservedly pick up the Balon D'or IMO. We all know he likes to ham it up a bit when he's fouled but set that aside and what's left is a top top world lass player :agree:

HibbyAndy
19-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Ronaldo.

Allant1981
19-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Ronaldo is easily the best player in the world imo

Mon Dieu4
19-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Lionel is a cool name, like Lionel Blair or Lionel Ritchie, therefore he is better

i genuinely think Messi is the better player and has just been unlucky with injuries lately, Ronaldo must hate him as at any other time he would easily be the best player in the world

McKenzie
19-11-2013, 10:04 PM
On current form Ronaldo is the best in the world, as a player Messi is better. And to cap it off Ribery will win the ballon d'or because he's been part of the best side in the past season.

Sir David Gray
19-11-2013, 10:27 PM
Ronaldo for me.

His goalscoring form over the past three or four years has been astonishing and he, pretty much, single handedly got Portugal to the World Cup finals tonight.

Messi's not bad either right enough but Ronaldo just edges it for me.

It would be incredible to see them in the same team.

hibbysam
19-11-2013, 10:56 PM
I think a lot of people forget messi's achievements for Argentina as they don't see a lot of there games... Speaking of scoring records over 3/4 years messi's is better than anyone else's .. Ever! Messi also helped his club side to the liga title... Ribery though has been the standout achievements this year.. Domestic double added to a champions league and qualifying for the worlds... And he has been the main man...

FWIW I think Ronaldo is fantastic and stats wise is on a better run of form to messi... But tonight reminded me how narrow minded he is... Twice he scored and the first thing he does is look about and point to himself and point to his name etc and only after his third did he show his teammates any attention!

neil7908
19-11-2013, 10:59 PM
Messi is the better player but this year Ronaldo deserves the Ballon D'Or

HibbiesandtheBaddies
19-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Messi.

Haymaker
19-11-2013, 11:01 PM
Ronaldos "current" form. The last 5 years?

Can we just sit back and say "Holy **** Ronaldo and Messi are both untouchable by anyone else." and enjoy them while they are here?

Gus
19-11-2013, 11:06 PM
Everyone with the Messi what a guy. Him and his dad cheated the Spanish taxman out of millions. (Yes im sure they all do it)

Ronaldo this year deserves it

poolman
19-11-2013, 11:06 PM
Both

MWHIBBIES
19-11-2013, 11:12 PM
Ronaldo for me.

His goalscoring form over the past three or four years has been astonishing and he, pretty much, single handedly got Portugal to the World Cup finals tonight.

Messi's not bad either right enough but Ronaldo just edges it for me.

It would be incredible to see them in the same team.What? The passes for all 3 of his goals were brilliant, without Moutinho there is no Ronaldo goals.

jacomo
20-11-2013, 04:03 PM
A couple of things: -

1) How do you know what his opinion of himself is?

2) Ignoring his considerable achievements for Manchester United and Portugal, Ronaldo has scored 199 goals in 176 starts for Real Madrid in the last four years. Regardless of what his opinion of himself is, how could it possibly be overinflated?

PS - Beckham was an excellent player

He's offered a few insights over the years into his personality and self-regard, but I agree it's much easier if they act like Ibrahimovic and talk about themselves in the third person all the time. Then you understand exactly how big their ego is!

Love the fact that Zlatan has now written off next year's World Cup as pointless because he won't be in it. What a guy!

Monts
21-11-2013, 10:18 AM

I think that works both ways. Many don't want to acknowledge Ronaldo's achievements because of the Manchester United connection.

Sir David Gray
21-11-2013, 11:12 AM
What? The passes for all 3 of his goals were brilliant, without Moutinho there is no Ronaldo goals.

I did say "pretty much". :wink:

TrinityHibs
21-11-2013, 12:59 PM
What? The passes for all 3 of his goals were brilliant, without Moutinho there is no Ronaldo goals.

While the passes were good without Ronaldo Sweden, not Portugal, would be going to the world cup. I think Messi has been the consistently better player over the last 4/5 years. Ronaldo has been better this year. They are both considerably better than anyone else including Ribery who is a very good player and will probably be second this year. Messi's injuries have understandably reduced his chances.

--------
22-11-2013, 12:14 PM
While the passes were good without Ronaldo Sweden, not Portugal, would be going to the world cup. I think Messi has been the consistently better player over the last 4/5 years. Ronaldo has been better this year. They are both considerably better than anyone else including Ribery who is a very good player and will probably be second this year. Messi's injuries have understandably reduced his chances.

:agree: When Messi's fit and they're both on form, I would always consider Messi the more complete player and the better team player.He hasn't been fully fit for a while now, and Ronaldo has been consistently the better player this season. What I would say is undeniable is that they're the two best players in the world right now, and have been for a long time.

RoslinInstHibby
22-11-2013, 01:22 PM
:agree: When Messi's fit and they're both on form, I would always consider Messi the more complete player and the better team player.He hasn't been fully fit for a while now, and Ronaldo has been consistently the better player this season. What I would say is undeniable is that they're the two best players in the world right now, and have been for a long time.

if one of them leads their country to a world cup victory....would he get elevated to best ever status? (i appreciate that some think messi already is)