08-11-2013, 04:02 PM
what for????

Remembrance day.

cabbageandribs1875
08-11-2013, 04:03 PM
i'l be surprised if there's not one

NAE NOOKIE
08-11-2013, 05:52 PM
If we play like we did against Aberdeen & the Yams there will be 90 minutes silence :confused:

stoneyburn hibs
08-11-2013, 05:55 PM
If we play like we did against Aberdeen & the Yams there will be 90 minutes silence :confused:

Indeed, no Pat to shout at unless you include Mr Stanton.

hibee_girl
09-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Surprised there wasn't a minutes silence before the game today.

bod
09-11-2013, 04:48 PM
shocking that there wasn't, no excuse for not having 1

lapsedhibee
09-11-2013, 04:50 PM

Is it Remembrance Day? :confused:

DaveF
09-11-2013, 05:40 PM

Hardly shocking. More shocking was the 90 mins of silence that followed kick off.

steviemanly
09-11-2013, 06:23 PM
Total disgrace
not a minutes silence for all our fallen hero's to keep this **** little island safe and to all that ask what for ? hang your head in shame could be your father, grand father great grand father or female service personnel who have died in combat so that you can go to today's game in peace.

ON THE ELEVENTH DAY OF THE ELEVENTH MONTH ON THE ELEVENTH HOUR 1 MINUTES SILENCE PLEASE FOR ALL THOSE THAT PAID THE ULTIMATE PRICE NOT ONLY IN WW1 AND WW2 BUT ALL CONFLICTS THAT BRITISH SERVICE PERSONNEL HAVE FALLEN:thumbsup::flag:

semaj64
09-11-2013, 06:40 PM
I too was surprised there was none today was it a club decision?

nonshinyfinish
09-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Total disgrace
not a minutes silence for all our fallen hero's to keep this **** little island safe and to all that ask what for ? hang your head in shame could be your father, grand father great grand father or female service personnel who have died in combat so that you can go to today's game in peace.

ON THE ELEVENTH DAY OF THE ELEVENTH MONTH ON THE ELEVENTH HOUR 1 MINUTES SILENCE PLEASE FOR ALL THOSE THAT PAID THE ULTIMATE PRICE NOT ONLY IN WW1 AND WW2 BUT ALL CONFLICTS THAT BRITISH SERVICE PERSONNEL HAVE FALLEN:thumbsup::flag:

Remembrance Sunday is tomorrow. The 11th is Monday. I fail to see the disgrace.

I would add though, that when I pause at 11 o'clock on Monday it won't just be to remember the British dead, but the dead on all sides.

Billychaotic182
09-11-2013, 07:25 PM
Even one for the poor guy that fell down te stairs in the ff upper and lost his life would have been a nice touch today.

marinello59
09-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Total disgrace

Behave. If the game was played tomorrow fair enough.

hibsbollah
09-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Even one for the poor guy that fell down te stairs in the ff upper and lost his life would have been a nice touch today.

Agree. I would have expected that.

steviemanly
09-11-2013, 07:28 PM

I would add though, that when I pause at 11 o'clock on Monday it won't just be to remember the British dead, but the dead on all sides.
explain why remembrance is on or called Sunday remembrance day is Monday 11th, ok wise guy to all fallen hero's of the commonwealth.You fail to see the disgrace Saturday or Sunday REMEMBRANCE DAY IS MONDAY

hfc rd
09-11-2013, 07:29 PM

But what about the guy that lost his life after falling down the steps in the F5 against Aberdeen. Would have been a nice touch by the club.

DaveF
09-11-2013, 07:31 PM
explain why remembrance is on or called Sunday remembrance day is Monday 11th, ok wise guy to all fallen hero's of the commonwealth.You fail to see the disgrace Saturday or Sunday REMEMBRANCE DAY IS MONDAY

If you want remembrance (and you are clearly passionate about it) then there are plenty of services you can attend tomorrow.

I was ER today for a football match not a remembrance service.

nonshinyfinish
09-11-2013, 07:33 PM

Let me explain this slowly. Remembrance Sunday, the nearest Sunday to the 11th, is tomorrow. Remembrance Day itself, 11th November, is Monday. Neither of these days are today. Hence, I fail to see the disgrace.

Bristolhibby
09-11-2013, 08:15 PM

Eh?

Lang Toun Hibs
09-11-2013, 08:39 PM

What, on the 10th? ;o)

Lang Toun Hibs
09-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Strange not to have a minutes silence formally, but to be honest, it was pretty quiet where I was sitting for most of the 90 mins!!! I'll do mine properly tomorrow at the local memorial and then again at 11am on Monday.

Ronaldo9
09-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Absolute disgrace there was no minute silence today. Club should be ashamed. Doesn't make any difference that rememberence Sunday is tomorrow. We played today and as such should have shown our respect. We are not Celtc!!!

davhibby
09-11-2013, 08:44 PM
It's not a club decision.

Sir David Gray
09-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Pretty sure clubs normally have a minute's silence on the weekend nearest to Remembrance Day.

I wasn't at the game today but I'm very surprised to hear that there wasn't one observed.

Pretty Boy
09-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Surely any directive for a minutes silence would have come from the SPFL as opposed to Hibs. If anyone has an issue it should be with the governing body.

Was there a minutes silence at any other games in Scotland? Or in England?

Largshibby
09-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Let me explain this slowly. Remembrance Sunday, the nearest Sunday to the 11th, is tomorrow. Remembrance Day itself, 11th November, is Monday. Neither of these days are today. Hence, I fail to see the disgrace.

Maybe not a disgrace but certainly a mistake by Hibs not to observe a minutes silence. Today was the closest fixture to remembrance Sunday/Monday so this would have been an opportunity for the Hibs family collectively to show their respect. We're quick to commemorate other tragedies such as football disasters (Hillsborough) or the passing of Hibs legends and rightly so therefore this was an error by the club imo.

marinello59
09-11-2013, 09:36 PM
Maybe not a disgrace but certainly a mistake by Hibs not to observe a minutes silence. Today was the closest fixture to remembrance Sunday/Monday so this would have been an opportunity for the Hibs family collectively to show their respect. We're quick to commemorate other tragedies such as football disasters (Hillsborough) or the passing of Hibs legends and rightly so therefore this was an error by the club imo.

Does the Hibs family require an extra opportunity other than the moment we could share with the rest of tbe country?
To be fair the efforts of those seeking to manufacture controversy where none should exist by calling the lack of a minutes silence today a disgrace seems to be working.

nonshinyfinish
09-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Does the Hibs family require an extra opportunity other than the moment we could share with the rest of tbe country?
To be fair the efforts of those seeking to manufacture controversy where none should exist by calling the lack of a minutes silence today a disgrace seems to be working.

Indeed.

Jack
09-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Pretty sure clubs normally have a minute's silence on the weekend nearest to Remembrance Day.

I wasn't at the game today but I'm very surprised to hear that there wasn't one observed.

Is this an example of how far Scottish football has fallen to avoid the embarrassment of the OF?

I despair.

Sir David Gray
09-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Is this an example of how far Scottish football has fallen to avoid the embarrassment of the OF?

I despair.

Don't see why my post has caused you to be in despair.

I'm almost certain that the first sentence of my post is a fact - I believe clubs in Britain have observed a minute's silence on the weekend that falls closest to Remembrance Day, certainly for as long as I can remember.

In my second sentence, that is my own opinion. I am quite surprised to hear that there wasn't a silence observed at Easter Road today.

Vini1875
09-11-2013, 10:15 PM
I disagree about no silence being a disgrace. If the country wishes to have a silence at 11 on the 11th then fair enough and also one on the sunday preceeding the 11th also fair enough, but why do we have to have them at football matches. If lives were lost in the pursuit of freedoms then why do we have to have those freedoms curtailed?

Also this particular silence is relatively new I certainly don't recall having a remembrance silence going back decades.

Largshibby
09-11-2013, 10:16 PM

Yes, I would say so. But its entirely voluntary. Anyone who doesn't want to take part doesn't have to. The forums all about opinions re. all things Hibs and you could argue that every opposing viewpoint is "manufacturing controversy". Its what makes the forum entertaining and worth looking at.

lapsedhibee
09-11-2013, 10:25 PM
Did the ICT players even have poppies on their shirts? Just one outrage after another at ER today.

The Harp Awakes
10-11-2013, 12:26 AM

:agree:

Perfectly put.

HibeeMG
10-11-2013, 12:50 AM
Surely any directive for a minutes silence would have come from the SPFL as opposed to Hibs. If anyone has an issue it should be with the governing body.

There was a minute's silence at East End Park.

One Day
10-11-2013, 06:57 AM

Surely not the Germans, the blew my Grandads arm off

TRC
10-11-2013, 07:05 AM
Liverpool had one yesterday as did Leicester, don't know why it was not held at Easter road,

joe breezy
10-11-2013, 09:29 AM
I thought it was every ground in the country. I hate Sevco and their military triumphalism but I won't allow idiots like that to sully the importance of the poppy and remembrance day.

I think it's important to remember the horrors of war and the people that died in terrible conditions in WW1 especially. Sad to hear that the occasion wasn't marked at Hibs.

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of tired, outstripped Five-Nines that dropped behind.

Gas! Gas! Quick, boys!---An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling,
And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime...
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,---
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

DULCE ET DECORUM EST by WILFRED OWEN, 1918

Spike Mandela
10-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Was this a conscious decision by Hibs, an oversight or much ado about nothing?

Sounds like someone ****ed up to me.

Hibernia&Alba
10-11-2013, 09:46 AM
It's not a club decision.

I'm sure it is a decision for the clubs, mate. Yesterday some had a silence, others didn't. I'd have liked a moment of reflection at ER personally.

cabbageandribs1875
10-11-2013, 10:09 AM

although i was in the refreshment queue at the time i'm positive i heard a brief announcement over the Tannoy at HT re: Bob Shennan(sp) expressing condolences to His family who were at the game, i'm sure i did

Pretty Boy
10-11-2013, 10:10 AM
although i was in the refreshment queue at the time i'm positive i heard a brief announcement over the Tannoy at HT re: Bob Shennan(sp) expressing condolences to His family who were at the game, i'm sure i did

There was definitely an announcement at HT.

Was also a bunch of flowers tied to the railings at the front of the FF upper.

cabbageandribs1875
10-11-2013, 10:15 AM
There was definitely an announcement at HT.

Was also a bunch of flowers tied to the railings at the front of the FF upper.

:aok: just caught the tail-end of it

NAE NOOKIE
10-11-2013, 10:22 AM
As far as I'm aware Hibs have had a minutes silence before now for remembrance day if they were at home that weekend.

As far as I'm concerned there should have been one. My uncle Albert was killed in Italy during WW2 .... I think he was about 22 years old.

The_Horde
10-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Maybe the family of the guy didn't want one?

Maybe us fans could arrange a minutes applause during our next home game for him? Like the villa fans did for petrov and other fans have done recently too.

The Baldmans Comb
10-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Well done to Hibs.

I go to Easter Road to watch a football match and I dont need bunch of blazers to tell me how or how not to remember all the war dead.

If I choose to I will go along to one of the many official services that will take place today

No cinema or theatre made of their customers partake in a minutes silence and I am very pleased Hibs made exactly the same choice..

green&left
10-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Total disgrace

I know.

Was in tescos last week doing my shopping and they never had one too. Neither did Kwik Fit. Disgrace. Raging. etc etc etc. Good job there's thousands of places today you can pay your respects to all fallen of both world wars and your recent day alleged "heroes" :)

green&left
10-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Well done to Hibs.

I go to Easter Road to watch a football match and I dont need bunch of blazers to tell me how or how not to remember all the war dead.

If I choose to I will go along to one of the many official services that will take place today

No cinema or theatre made of their customers partake in a minutes silence and I am very pleased Hibs made exactly the same choice..

This

Jay
10-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Well done to Hibs.

I was in Princes Mall yesterday and while walking through the food court I noticed one of the places, I think it was McDonalds, Had a notice up saying they would be having a silence today and they hoped their customers would honour it.

I found it a bit odd to be honest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cabbageandribs1875
10-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Total disgrace

get a grip..... GET A GRIP i say

(caps make the message a bit clearer)

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-11-2013, 10:43 AM
:aok: just caught the tail-end of it

They kind of threw it away amongst the half time kick about and followed it with a cheery happy birthday message but you need to be careful not to take offence on other people's behalf and I would not doubt that it was cleared with his family first.
On the subject of the silence, I am sure that I heard an intro to a game last night on MOTD that said" clubs choosing to ". I don't think you can really infer any disrespect because if the bigger point is that the sacrifice should manifest itself every single day and not just one day.

Itsnoteasy
10-11-2013, 11:10 AM
I hope you copy and pasted that. That is some text

I thought it was every ground in the country. I hate Sevco and their military triumphalism but I won't allow idiots like that to sully the importance of the poppy and remembrance day.

I think it's important to remember the horrors of war and the people that died in terrible conditions in WW1 especially. Sad to hear that the occasion wasn't marked at Hibs.

Pro patria mori.

Jonny1875
10-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Well done to Hibs.

Totally agree. Its not like we done a Celtic.

cabbageandribs1875
10-11-2013, 11:46 AM
They kind of threw it away amongst the half time kick about and followed it with a cheery happy birthday message but you need to be careful not to take offence on other people's behalf and I would not doubt that it was cleared with his family first.
On the subject of the silence, I am sure that I heard an intro to a game last night on MOTD that said" clubs choosing to ". I don't think you can really infer any disrespect because if the bigger point is that the sacrifice should manifest itself every single day and not just one day.

:agree:yep, i thought it was quite insensitive at the time, but as you point out it was probably done like that after consultation with the family :agree:

Geo_1875
10-11-2013, 12:18 PM
I'm sure it is a decision for the clubs, mate. Yesterday some had a silence, others didn't. I'd have liked a moment of reflection at ER personally.

Why at Easter Road 2 days before 11/11? If we had would it mean I'd done my bit and could talk through the minutes silence at my work on Monday? There's a time and place and that is 11 am on 11/11 wherever you may be.

God Petrie
10-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Let Hearts and Celtic get on with mixing politics and football - it's beneath our club to be honest.

BroxburnHibee
10-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Totally pointless having minute silences for anything at football matches - just gives a*******s the chance to be a*******s!!!!!

jakeshibs
10-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Well done to Hibs.

As a serving soldier and a life long hibs supporter, I feel ashamed of some comments as we are able to watch football due to the sacrifices of so many who gave their lives for our freedoms and 1 minutes silence prior to kick off is not much to ask. I bet most families have been affected since 1914, and to remember them is not a lot to ask.. we all have our opinions but these men and woman asked for nothing but gave everything..

AK86
10-11-2013, 02:00 PM
These people were sent to their death on our behalf.
a minutes silence at our national sport on the day closest to Remembrance Day is the least we can do . Have a bit respect , you sound like a bunch of wannabe smellies

Hibercelona
10-11-2013, 02:10 PM
If they fought for freedom, then where's the freedom to show respect for them in your own personal way?

People who want to show respect, will show respect. People who don't, won't.

But forcing thousands of people in a crowd to all do the same thing, is always going to cause some level of conflict.

Lives are lost needlessly all over the globe on a daily basis. I have my own ways of showing respect towards those who have passed on, but would never demand that everybody else around me do the same thing. Because that's what freedom is, having a choice.

marinello59
10-11-2013, 02:11 PM
These people were sent to their death on our behalf.
a minutes silence at our national sport on the day closest to Remembrance Day is the least we can do . Have a bit respect , you sound like a bunch of wannabe smellies

Maybe you should have a bit of respect for your fellow fans. I would love you to explain your warped logic that allows you to compare Hibs fans to Celtc fans just because they don't find it a DISGRACE that a minutes silence was not held at the game yesterday. I can only assume your post is nothing more than a childish attempt to **** stir on what can be a sensitive subject.

superbam
10-11-2013, 02:13 PM

Pro patria mori.

If only the spirit of that poem, in particular the last verse, informed our remembrance - watching the BBC coverage of the "festival of remembrance" the other night in London we seem to be moving further and further away from that.

Phil D. Rolls
10-11-2013, 02:14 PM

Take it you were down at your local war memorial this morning?

Phil D. Rolls
10-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Total disgrace

Ill bear that in mind tomorrow. Any reason there should have been one yesterday? Maybe we should have a minutes silence every day?

WTF is with the Hibs flag by the way, and the thumbs up - do you think Remembrance Day needs a bit of fun?

AK86
10-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Maybe you should have a bit of respect for your fellow fans. I would love you to explain your warped logic that allows you to compare Hibs fans to Celtc fans just because they don't find it a DISGRACE that a minutes silence was not held at the game yesterday. I can only assume your post is nothing more than a childish attempt to **** stir on what can be a sensitive subject.
I really don't see the problem taking a poignant minute to reflect on the sacrifices made for us. Why anyone would take offence at this can only lead me think they have other agendas.Hibs fans never made an issue about this in the past, so why should they now?

childish??? Wanting to show respect to the fallen and their families, a bit appreciation is childish?????
have a word with yourself

Purehibee_MYB
10-11-2013, 02:25 PM
It's hardly a disgrace is it? It's not as if the club are ignorant to remembrance day, they were wearing poppies after all. Just because they chose not to do a minutes silence it makes them despicable? I'm sure most people at ER will respect the silence on Monday just like most people around the country. Just have a word with yourself if you're willing to abuse people over their views, it's not on.

I'm_cabbaged
10-11-2013, 02:30 PM
I really don't see the problem taking a poignant minute to reflect on the sacrifices made for us. Why anyone would take offence at this can only lead me think they have other agendas.Hibs fans never made an issue about this in the past, so why should they now?

childish??? Wanting to show respect to the fallen and their families, a bit appreciation is childish?????

I don't have a problem either, I showed my respect at 11 am this morning. I went to the football yesterday, not a remembrance service. By your logic I'm a want to be smelly? Do one.

AK86
10-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Take it you were down at your local war memorial this morning?
Maybe if more sporting institutions paid some respect, more people would be aware of what it's all about and would have went to a memorial today?
who exactly were hibs trying not to offend by not having a tribute yesterday?

marinello59
10-11-2013, 02:33 PM

Has anybody taken offence? You really are good at whipping up your sense of outrage aren't you? The only people making an issue of this are those who are saying that this is a disgrace. If there had been a silence I would have observed it, just as I did observe todays and will observe tomorrows. Implying a lack of respect on my part is utter nonsense.

AK86
10-11-2013, 02:36 PM
I don't have a problem either, I showed my respect at 11 am this morning. I went to the football yesterday, not a remembrance service. By your logic I'm a want to be smelly? Do one.
So would you have been offended if the club had a show of respect yesterday?

do one? Grow up. People are allowed other opinions. A mind of their own :confused:

cabbageandribs1875
10-11-2013, 02:40 PM

do one? Grow up. People are allowed other opinions. A mind of their own :confused:

:kettle:

I'm_cabbaged
10-11-2013, 02:41 PM

I'm not even going to comment on that one.

Edit: in fact I am, you never answered my question, am I want to be celtc fan? Or were you just trying to generalise that to Irish?

AK86
10-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Has anybody taken offence? You really are good at whipping up your sense of outrage aren't you? The only people making an issue of this are those who are saying that this is a disgrace. If there had been a silence I would have observed it, just as I did observe todays and will observe tomorrows. Implying a lack of respect on my part is utter nonsense.
Sorry , I will keep my thoughts to myself in future and you and your pals can all agree with each other.
i seem to have touched a nerve.

Aldo
10-11-2013, 02:51 PM
I really am disgusted at some of the posts/comments by people on here on this thread and other similar threads.

I am an ex serviceman and lost friends during the first gulf war. Today is Remembrance Sunday and I will remember them today and will again tomorrow.

If anyone has an issue why this wasn't done they should contact the CLUB and ask them why instead of looking for arguments on here. Folk are fishing and looking for a reason to get at each other.

That is more disrespectful IMHO.

Get a grip

I'm_cabbaged
10-11-2013, 02:52 PM
I really am disgusted at some of the posts/comments by people on here on this thread and other similar threads.

I am an ex serviceman and list friends during the first gulf war.

Today is Remembrance Sunday and I will remember them today and will again tomorrow.

If anyone has an issue why this wasn't done they should contact the CLUB and ask them why instead of looking for arguments on here. Folk are fishing and looking for a reason to get at each other.

Get a grip

Well said!!

marinello59
10-11-2013, 02:55 PM

Today is Remembrance Sunday and I will remember them today and will again tomorrow.

Get a grip

Well said.

jakeshibs
10-11-2013, 02:57 PM

Get a grip

well said

Hibercelona
10-11-2013, 02:59 PM

Get a grip

Well said.

AK86
10-11-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm not even going to comment on that one.

Edit: in fact I am, you never answered my question, am I want to be celtc fan? Or were you just trying to generalise that to Irish?
My point with the celtic jibe was , as memory serves right Hibs fans have shown respect in the past for the fallen in a dignified respectful manner.
in recent years the celtic fans have been more vocal on their dislike of the British army and poppies while the other sevco side have lapped up all this quintessential British nonsense . Added to that the ****s we won the war claims, it's all got a bit messy and lost its way.Hibs fans almost seem to be trying to find their stance in it all.
i choose not to get involved in all that guff and think our major sporting event with a large crowd of working class people is an ideal opportunity for people to stand together and think of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for us.
i struggle to see why anyone would choose not too tbh.

Scouse Hibee
10-11-2013, 03:02 PM

Get a grip

Perfect :top marks

Phil D. Rolls
10-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Maybe if more sporting institutions paid some respect, more people would be aware of what it's all about and would have went to a memorial today?

My point with the celtic jibe was , as memory serves right Hibs fans have shown respect in the past for the fallen in a dignified respectful manner.
in recent years the celtic fans have been more vocal on their dislike of the British army and poppies while the other sevco side have lapped up all this quintessential British nonsense . Added to that the ****s we won the war claims, it's all got a bit messy and lost its way.Hibs fans almost seem to be trying to find their stance in it all.
i choose not to get involved in all that guff and think our major sporting event with a large crowd of working class people is an ideal opportunity for people to stand together and think of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for us.

Maybe a respectful letter to Hibs, and maybe the Royal British Legion, would be the right way to raise these concerns.

I personally don't think any offence was created by the lack of a minutes silence yesterday. I find your remark about "working class " people puzzling, patronising and totally irrelevant to the discussion.

AK86
10-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Maybe a respectful letter to Hibs, and maybe the Royal British Legion, would be the right way to raise these concerns.

I personally don't think any offence was created by the lack of a minutes silence yesterday. I find your remark about "working class " people puzzling, patronising and totally irrelevant to the discussion.
What part of society do you think lost more during the wars?
go on have a guess? Relevant?

Pretty Boy
10-11-2013, 03:22 PM

I am an ex serviceman and lost friends during the first gulf war. Today is Remembrance Sunday and I will remember them today and will again tomorrow.

Get a grip

Best post on this thread by a distance.

Well said.

hibee_nation
10-11-2013, 03:22 PM

Because the 9th of November comemerates nothing. The 11th of November at 11am should be when you pay your respects by having a minutes silence to remember the war dead. Or the nearest Sunday if there is a service at a war memorial when you may want to join in with your local community.

Aldo
10-11-2013, 03:33 PM
My point with the celtic jibe was , as memory serves right Hibs fans have shown respect in the past for the fallen in a dignified respectful manner. in recent years the celtic fans have been more vocal on their dislike of the British army and poppies while the other sevco side have lapped up all this quintessential British nonsense . Added to that the ****s we won the war claims, it's all got a bit messy and lost its way.Hibs fans almost seem to be trying to find their stance in it all. i choose not to get involved in all that guff and think our major sporting event with a large crowd of working class people is an ideal opportunity for people to stand together and think of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for us. i struggle to see why anyone would choose not too tbh.

I really do think you are looking for an argument with all this. I dont care about any other club and how or how the do not show their respect.

I wore and will continue to wear a poppy to remember and respect those who have fallen protecting this country, (showed my respect at 11am today and will do the same tomorrow) that included McCraes Battalion and any other 'Sporting Institute' (as you put it) or any other human being.

O AFWIW you spouting about not wanting to get involved is total and utter BS... You posts prove the otherwise.

marinello59
10-11-2013, 03:33 PM

Which you decided to throw out at all those who disagreed with you including at least two ex-servicemen. Not really on that is it?

Phil D. Rolls
10-11-2013, 03:34 PM
[/B]

Who are you to assume what social class Hibs supporters are, and to speak on their behalf? Are you seriously suggesting that Remembrance should take on a class angle?

Why are you stirring up such stuff on Remembrance Sunday?

hibby rae
10-11-2013, 03:40 PM
[/B]

Well in the First World War the highest casualty rates were among junior officers who were predominantly middle and upper class.

patch1875
10-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Ross county apologising on STV news for an oversight of not having a minute silence.

hibby rae
10-11-2013, 03:46 PM

I find it hard to believe anyone would be unaware of the significance of rememberance sunday. However, my Grandad didn't go the services. He was at El Alamein and witnessed the camp at Belsen but every rememberance day he would sit at home silently watching the ceremony at the cenotaph crying. He preferred to remember his friends in private.

blackpoolhibs
10-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Do we not normally have a minutes silence on the nearest day to remembrance day at the footy?

I always thought we did, but maybe i'm wrong? :confused:

AK86
10-11-2013, 04:04 PM
I really do think you are looking for an argument with all this. I dont care about any other club and how or how the do not show their respect.

I wore and will continue to wear a poppy to remember and respect those who have fallen protecting this country, (showed my respect at 11am today and will do the same tomorrow) that included McCraes Battalion and any other 'Sporting Institute' (as you put it) or any other human being.

O AFWIW you spouting about not wanting to get involved is total and utter BS... You posts prove the otherwise.
Jesus!!! I'm simply telling my feelings on the matter.

Which you decided to throw out at all those who disagreed with you including at least two ex-servicemen. Not really on that is it?
You asked me to explain a comment, I had the decency to oblige and all you can do is come back with a catty little remark ?

[/B]

Who are you to assume what social class Hibs supporters are, and to speak on their behalf? Are you seriously suggesting that Remembrance should take on a class angle?

you,sir are the one trying to stir things up.. I gave my views, different to most on here it appears but my thoughts they are. I shared them on an open forum, that's the idea of these forum things I think.maybe after 30000 posts you will get the hang of it.
why you are trying to twist the class issue into some slavering rambling I don't know. Are you seriously trying to tell me the majority of Hibs fans are not working class?

no, I don't think Remembrance Day should have a class angle, whatever that means, but I have more affinity with my fellow supporters than watching the queen, her hanger ons and the prime minister ( the people responsible for sending some of our soldiers to their fate) laying wreaths.

The Tubs
10-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Do we not normally have a minutes silence on the nearest day to remembrance day at the footy?

I had a season ticket from 1993-2007 and I can't ever remember a minute's silence at Easter Road, or any away stadium. But maybe I'm wrong too.

silverhibee
10-11-2013, 04:11 PM

I was at the Liverpool game yesterday and they held one.

GreenCastle
10-11-2013, 04:13 PM

Get a grip

:top marks

People should give it a rest - people stirring and looking at an excuse to have a go at the club.

Scouse Hibee
10-11-2013, 04:15 PM

:agree: As did the rest of the EPL

ballengeich
10-11-2013, 04:16 PM
I had a season ticket from 1993-2007 and I can't ever remember a minute's silence at Easter Road, or any away stadium. But maybe I'm wrong too.

I don't remember it either. Remembrance has traditionally consisted of a minute's silence on 11/11 and church services on the preceding Sunday. At my work there was silence on the 11th at 11 o'clock, but if that date fell at the weekend there wasn't anything on the Friday before or the Monday after. I don't find that in any way disrespectful to the fallen.

When (and why) was a silence away from the traditional times introduced?

Scouse Hibee
10-11-2013, 04:21 PM

It happened last year and I remember previous occasions.

blackpoolhibs
10-11-2013, 04:21 PM

I must be wrong then, its something i did think we had every year? Maybe its because we have so many of them these days, that i thought we always had them? :confused:

Phil D. Rolls
10-11-2013, 04:33 PM

[/B]

Well in the First World War the highest casualty rates were among junior officers who were predominantly middle and upper class.

Jesus!!! I'm simply telling my feelings on the matter.

You asked me to explain a comment, I had the decency to oblige and all you can do is come back with a catty little remark ?

You raised the issue of class, not me. I don't think it has any relevance at all, you seem to.

Are you saying that you would prefer to share Remembrance with people you feel you identify with, and that Easter Road yesterday, would have been where you would have preferred to do that?

I'm genuinely trying to understand what you are saying. What I would say though is that people on here are giving you a pretty fair hearing, and it might be nice if you could avoid insulting language.

Just been reviewing my posts, and am not sure how you could have interpreted them as stirring. You, on the other hand, are replying to anyone that challenges you with phrases like: "get a grip", "slavering" etc. Things like that don't help anyone.

AK86
10-11-2013, 04:39 PM
You raised the issue of class, not me. I don't think it has any relevance at all, you seem to.

Are you saying that you would prefer to share Remembrance with people you feel you identify with, and that Easter Road yesterday, would have been where you would have preferred to do that?

I'm genuinely trying to understand what you are saying.

maybe be I am being backed into a corner a bit here and I'm not coming out of it very well

in the past at football matches during a silence for remembrance I have found it very poignant, and a fitting tribute. Everyone there has more than likely been affected one way or another by the loss of someone in the line of duty. For one minute, all rivalries are put aside and we remember the sacrifices which many have given and the effect it has had on us all.
it also gives the young children an appreciation of what has happened in our history, and an experience some are unlikely to get otherwise.

my personal choice is that Hibs took this opportunity to pay tribute. It is only my opinion, and may well be wrong and I certainly didn't intend to offend anyone with my views.

Phil D. Rolls
10-11-2013, 04:41 PM
maybe be I am being backed into a corner a bit here and I'm not coming out of it very well

in the past at football matches during a silence for remembrance I have found it very poignant, and a fitting tribute. Everyone there has more than likely been affected one way or another by the loss of someone in the line of duty. For one minute, all rivalries are put aside and we remember the sacrifices which many have given and the effect it has had on us all.
it also gives the young children an appreciation of what has happened in our history, and an experience some are unlikely to get otherwise.

my personal choice is that Hibs took this opportunity to pay tribute. It is only my opinion, and may well be wrong and I certainly didn't intend to offend anyone with my views.

:aok: Respect that opinion, thanks.

Pretty Boy
10-11-2013, 04:51 PM

Fair enough.

As far as i'm aware the SPFL left it up to individual clubs and Hibs, Ross County and Partick Thistle decided not to.

Personally if there had been a minutes silence i would have observed, there wasn't and i don't see a huge controversy tbh.

Hibrandenburg
10-11-2013, 05:43 PM
If they fought for freedom, then where's the freedom to show respect for them in your own personal way?

People who want to show respect, will show respect. People who don't, won't.

But forcing thousands of people in a crowd to all do the same thing, is always going to cause some level of conflict.

Lives are lost needlessly all over the globe on a daily basis. I have my own ways of showing respect towards those who have passed on, but would never demand that everybody else around me do the same thing. Because that's what freedom is, having a choice.

I can see both sides of the argument here but as Hibs fans we're part of a collective and not just a bunch of individuals gathered together for our own entertainment like in the cinema. IMO it would have been appropriate for Hibs as a CLUB to have shown respect before the game closest to remembrance Sunday. By not doing so we've left ourselves open to criticism as a CLUB.

GreenCastle
10-11-2013, 05:48 PM
With the Ross County statement - it will be interesting to hear what the Hibs stance on it was.

lapsedhibee
10-11-2013, 06:10 PM

You're dead right there. In the past there were no silences at the game, and Hibs fans never made an issue about it.

green day
10-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Can I ask a simple question - who is giving Hibs abuse for this, apart from people on this board?

I was washing the windows at 11am today and dont feel bad about it, despite having relatives who died in the First World War.

Its up to everyone to do what they feel is right about these things - and we also have the right not to be castigated if we decide its just 'not for us'.

I dont tell everyone else what to do, and frankly object if other people try to tell me whats right or wrong.

heretoday
10-11-2013, 06:17 PM
Well thank goodness the whole business is over for another year anyway. Next year of course we'll be celebrating (sorry commemorating) the start of the First World War.

So that'll be nice.

lapsedhibee
10-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Well thank goodness the whole business is over for another year.

At least no one brought up how poignant it was that Hearts won on the day before the day before Remembrance Day.

Hibernia Na Eir
10-11-2013, 07:47 PM
im quite certain that there would have been more than a few clubs that didn't bother with the pause.

On the same token, I think L Orient and Hearts should have a November 'Face off" ;-)

RSS Bot
10-11-2013, 07:50 PM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20131110/remembrance-day-_2262950_3531912)

The_Horde
10-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Classy statement! Bang on.

Pretty Boy
10-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Good stuff from Hibs and should put an end to the matter.

greenlex
10-11-2013, 07:59 PM
I don't think all shirts had poppies on them.

Elephant Stone
10-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Good statement. It's a shame that people have to justify their approach to these events but good statement nonetheless, well done Hibs.

10-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Bobby Atherton? was he not one of the scottish cup winning captains?

hibby rae
10-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Bobby Atherton? was he not one of the scottish cup winning captains?

I believe so, his ship disappeared in 1917.

FranckSuzy
10-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Well done Hibs :applause:

ronaldo7
10-11-2013, 08:25 PM
With the Ross County statement - it will be interesting to hear what the Hibs stance on it was.

Their you go http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20131110/remembrance-day-_2262950_3531912

ronaldo7
10-11-2013, 08:28 PM

The Baldmans Comb
10-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Take a bow Hibs.

That is a very impressive statement and is exactly how I would like my club to mark Rememberance day balancing perfectly the need to reflect while observing that we are first and foremost a sporting institution:thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
10-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Their you go http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20131110/remembrance-day-_2262950_3531912

Hopefully bring an end to the hysteria

hibby rae
10-11-2013, 09:06 PM
http://www.edinburghs-war.ed.ac.uk/system/files/PDF_hibs_FC_WW1.pdf

Interesting article about Hibs during the First World War.

Bishop Hibee
10-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Hibs class. Compare this to the overblown 'commemoration' at Ibrox.

Jack
10-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Shame on the clubs which didn't join in.

Hibs, the Club I continue to support with pride.

cocopops1875
10-11-2013, 09:29 PM

Pretty sure they all had them to start with Lexo, we use a pin on/magnet type Poppy these days and they are inclined to fall off during the game, also if players change shirts at half time the spare shirt rarely has the patch or poppy on the occasions we have them

NadeAteMyLunch!
10-11-2013, 10:20 PM
I assumed at the game yesterday that the poppies were stitched on like in the past. Only just realised whilst watching the highlights that they were flapping about the place! Seems strange. Other teams had them sown into the strip

HibbiesandtheBaddies
10-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Was disappointed we didn't observe a silence on Saturday.

Sir David Gray
10-11-2013, 11:08 PM

I don't understand that statement at all to be honest.

It implies that the only reason that we had a minute's silence in recent years was because of the relationship between the SPL and Poppy Scotland and now that the SPFL hasn't continued that relationship, we no longer hold one.

I don't see why the directive needs to come from the governing body. I'm sure clubs can take it upon themselves to hold their own minute's silence, if they want to.

I understand the point made about how the players wore poppies on their shirts and also that the club was represented at the Remembrance Day service.

However, in my opinion, there should always be a minute's silence held before our game that falls closest to Remembrance Day.

I believe Hibs got this wrong.

Bristolhibby
10-11-2013, 11:21 PM

It implies that the only reason that we had a minute's silence in recent years was because of the relationship between the SPL and Poppy Scotland and now that the SPFL hasn't continued that relationship, we no longer hold one.

I don't see why the directive needs to come from the governing body. I'm sure clubs can take it upon themselves to hold their own minute's silence, if they want to.

I understand the point made about how the players wore poppies on their shirts and also that the club was represented at the Remembrance Day service.

However, in my opinion, there should always be a minute's silence held before our game that falls closest to Remembrance Day.

Fair Do's, I'm in the other camp though.

It's a football match. Not a remembrance day service. The club (as always) was represented at Haymarket, and the players wore poppies. This was enough IMO.

If the game were on the 11th, or Remembrance Sunday, then fair do's , it may be appropriate.

I think the club was spot on.

J

Bristolhibby
10-11-2013, 11:28 PM
Hearts has "Special Edition" shirts made, complete with "Remembrance Day 2013 - 95 Anniversary sponsored by Wonga" embroidery, and capes.

Spot on by Hibs as usual.

J

GORDONSMITH7
10-11-2013, 11:39 PM
Spot on Hibernian. No flannel, no headline grabbing patter. Of course as you tacitly indicate in the article countless hundreds of young footballers lost there lives in the utter carnage of the First World War, as I expect they did from all counties involved.

GGTTH

BIG G

lord bunberry
11-11-2013, 12:37 AM
Hopefully bring an end to the hysteria

It doesn't really explain why we didn't have a minutes silence when others did. Imo we should have had a minutes, it's something that should happen every year on the day closest to the 11th.

Fair Do's, I'm in the other camp though.

It's a football match. Not a remembrance day service. The club (as always) was represented at Haymarket, and the players wore poppies. This was enough IMO.

If the game were on the 11th, or Remembrance Sunday, then fair do's , it may be appropriate.

I think the club was spot on.

J

That argument reminds me of calderwoods remarks after Nottingham forest refused to hold a minutes silence after the death of phil o'donell.

PeeJay
11-11-2013, 04:58 AM
IMO Remembrance Sunday is the day when the tributes, minute's silence and so on should be held. Why does there have to be any advance commemoration at football grounds or elsewhere? Remembrance Sunday is the day of commemoration, so if a game falls on a Sunday, then have a minute's silence if not, don't. Seems to me that a greater impression is made when "everyone" commemorates the day at the same time on the same day?

Steve-O
11-11-2013, 06:25 AM
It doesn't really explain why we didn't have a minutes silence when others did. Imo we should have had a minutes, it's something that should happen every year on the day closest to the 11th.

That argument reminds me of calderwoods remarks after Nottingham forest refused to hold a minutes silence after the death of phil o'donell.

Did Phil O'Donnell have anything to do with Nottingham Forest?

Baader
11-11-2013, 06:56 AM
Hearts has "Special Edition" shirts made, complete with "Remembrance Day 2013 - 95 Anniversary sponsored by Wonga" embroidery, and capes.

Spot on by Hibs as usual.

J

The moral high ground being claimed by some of the Gorgie mob given their clubs' actions regarding Remembrance Day is quite staggering...

matty_f
11-11-2013, 07:29 AM
The moral high ground being claimed by some of the Gorgie mob given their clubs' actions regarding Remembrance Day is quite staggering...

The poppy thieves can no longer take the moral high ground on anything.

brian6-2
11-11-2013, 07:29 AM
James McLean of wigan dropped and sent home by owen coyle for refusing to wear a poppy.

Hibernia Na Eir
11-11-2013, 07:33 AM

I find it difficult to see understand what you don't understand about the official statement.

BoltonHibee
11-11-2013, 07:46 AM
James McLean of wigan dropped and sent home by owen coyle for refusing to wear a poppy.

He was injured, a dead leg I think from the game on Thursday in Russia.

brian6-2
11-11-2013, 07:50 AM
He was injured, a dead leg I think from the game on Thursday in Russia.

Was told this from my mate yesterday who supports wigan, having a look online it seems there are mixed reports, people reporting he was and people saying he wasnt.

Wouldnt put it past the wee runt though.

lord bunberry
11-11-2013, 08:30 AM
Did Phil O'Donnell have anything to do with Nottingham Forest?

No he didn't, but he also didn't have anything to do with the majority of other clubs that held a minutes silence.

Lucius Apuleius
11-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Much ado about nothing. I never had a minute's silence anywhere on Saturday. I had two minutes at the cenotaph and then another two minutes in church and I shall have it again today. I lost family in the first and second world wars as most people did and certainly feel no sense of shame or horror that Hibs neverr had one on Saturday.

lord bunberry
11-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Much ado about nothing. I never had a minute's silence anywhere on Saturday. I had two minutes at the cenotaph and then another two minutes in church and I shall have it again today. I lost family in the first and second world wars as most people did and certainly feel no sense of shame or horror that Hibs neverr had one on Saturday.

I don't feel shame or horror either, but I do think we should have had one. Do you think we should have had one?

cabbageandribs1875
11-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Was told this from my mate yesterday who supports wigan, having a look online it seems there are mixed reports, people reporting he was and people saying he wasnt.

but seeing as you are calling him a wee runt i'm sure we know which version you will believe, and even if he did refuse...his choice...that's what democracy is all about

cocopops1875
11-11-2013, 08:54 AM

? Do you think he should wear a Poppy ?

brian6-2
11-11-2013, 08:59 AM

aye.

Part/Time Supporter
11-11-2013, 09:04 AM
IMO Remembrance Sunday is the day when the tributes, minute's silence and so on should be held. Why does there have to be any advance commemoration at football grounds or elsewhere? Remembrance Sunday is the day of commemoration, so if a game falls on a Sunday, then have a minute's silence if not, don't. Seems to me that a greater impression is made when "everyone" commemorates the day at the same time on the same day?

It's stepped up over the last few years because certain newspapers (mainly the Daily Mail) have been chastising clubs and/or players that don't fully honour Remembrance Sunday. Although they don't seem that bothered about anyone outside the gilded elite that is the EPL.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=cr&ei=5KqAUqb6G_Cg0wXsh4DYDg#q=daily+mail+remembrance +premier+league+poppy+pressure

I guess the lack of silences at some Scottish grounds only came to attention because Ross Co v Celtic was televised. You would then get some paranoid Huns accusing Celtic of telling Ross Co not to have a silence because of the possibility that their fans would disrupt it, as happened at Falkirk a few years back. All fairly pathetic really.

Steve-O
11-11-2013, 09:14 AM
No he didn't, but he also didn't have anything to do with the majority of other clubs that held a minutes silence.

Where do you draw the line though? Perhaps SPL and other clubs he played for would've been enough?

Why the clamour for people to take part in a silence to 'remember' a player they may never have even heard of in certain cases?

lord bunberry
11-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Where do you draw the line though? Perhaps SPL and other clubs he played for would've been enough?

Why the clamour for people to take part in a silence to 'remember' a player they may never have even heard of in certain cases?

it seems to me that certain people are going out of their way not to show respect.
If you were walking along the street with your mates having a laugh and being a bit boisterous and you passed by a church when a funeral was coming out, you would quieten down until you were passed the Church, you wouldn't have known the deceased or his family, but out of respect you would be quiet.

Andy74
11-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Didn't these guys fight and die to, amongst other things, ensure that other people's beliefs were not to be imposed on people?

I think the stepping up of the enforcement of things like Remembrance day these days is taking away from what they are meant to be about.

matty_f
11-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Didn't these guys fight and die to, amongst other things, ensure that other people's beliefs were not to be imposed on people?

I think the stepping up of the enforcement of things like Remembrance day these days is taking away from what they are meant to be about.

Tend to agree with that, a lot of trying to be seen to be doing the right thing rather than just doing the right thing for the right reasons.

I support Hibs' stance on this. We have 2 days of remembrance in which to observe silence with the rest of the country, and although I would have observed the silence if we'd held one, I do think Hibs acted in a wholly acceptable manner.

BoltonHibee
11-11-2013, 09:52 AM

Yes, there were reports on twitter, but he was actually injured. He had played the 90 minutes in Russia on the Thursday and picked up the knock in that game ( dead leg). Coyle has also verified this since

silverhibee
11-11-2013, 09:56 AM

Pretty sure we do.

silverhibee
11-11-2013, 10:01 AM
:agree: As did the rest of the EPL

Enjoyed the game, your team played some great football and should have hit double figures, that Suarez is some player. :wink::greengrin

Brightside
11-11-2013, 10:03 AM

I agree with this. I personally dont think a minutes silence is something that should be enforced. Let people remember in their own way IF THEY WANT TO.

cocopops1875
11-11-2013, 10:04 AM
aye.

On what basis ?

Leith Mo
11-11-2013, 10:09 AM
As many on here know I feel very strongly about this entire "issue" - not that it should be an issue if, in my opinion it wasn't for the Poppy Thieves usurping the true historical memory of what really happened and claiming even the Haymarket Clock as their own as if (as many of the deluded ones believe) their sacrifice was any more valid than anyone else's. On that point if anyone is in any who doubt what I am truly saying I AM NOT denying their brave sacrifice - every bit as brave as the guys form other clubs including our own who died.

At the latest Derby, a banner displayed at Half-Time read: "Lest We Forget HMFC did not pay For Their Poppies" in answer to their theft from the Lady Haig Fund and protestations that the debt had been paid - the banner was a statement of fact their Club did not pay the financial debt involved but left it to one of their more embarrassed follower to settle the outstanding invoice. The banner was removed, and when I made enquiries as to why and asked for the banner to be returned was informed by a police officer "It is not racist; It is not sectarian; It does not breach any law of Scotland; It is, shall we say, annoying; It should not have been taken down"

From the Club I received, and accept, the following reply (which I note says that whilst our Club has a good relationship with Poppy Scotland, the linking of HMFC with Poppy Scotland was not to be allowed at that particular game):

"The Club had become aware that our fans were intent on displaying banners at the game, some of which would likely relate to the current financial situation at Heart of Midlothian FC, whilst this in itself would not be a reason to exclude banners, we do have to make an assessment of the impact of any banner displayed and consider the likely negative impact.

Our Club has a very good relationship with Poppy Scotland and a decision was taken that any banners that bore the name or could link Poppy Scotland and the current situation at Heart of Midlothian FC would not be permitted to be displayed during this match, this is the reason that you were not permitted to put the banner up.

Whether you agree or disagree with this decision it was taken in the interests of the reputation of Poppy Scotland and our Club."

This might add to the debate on here. RIP to all who died, but the fact is the deluded Gorgie mob were not alone and their continued hypocrisy in this whole issue is one of the many reasons why I will continue to remind them of the facts. If you think it is bad now, just wait until the centenary of the outbreak of World War One net August 4th at the beginning of next season.

tamig
11-11-2013, 10:09 AM

Pretty sure he has previous for this. I'm sure there was a story about him while at Sunderland last season refusing to wear it.

Edit - story here;
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/nov/18/sunderland-james-mcclean-death-threat

Pretty Boy
11-11-2013, 10:11 AM
aye.

Why?

I can understand, without necessarily agreeing with, someone who was brought up in a nationalist community in Derry not wanting to wear a poppy.

Geo_1875
11-11-2013, 10:29 AM

Sorry, but you are so, so wrong.

There is no such thing as Remembrance Day.

The 11th of November is Armistice Day.

The Sunday nearest the 11th of November is Remembrance Sunday.

The parades, silences and services held on Remembrance Sunday were originally religious.

There is no need for any observation outside of these 2 days.

Hibs got it right.

Hibernia Na Eir
11-11-2013, 10:30 AM
seems like a bit of a witch hunt from other fans seeking out those clubs who dared to not wear a poppy/ have minutes pause.
Get a grip.

Hibernia Na Eir
11-11-2013, 10:32 AM

The parades, silences and services held on Remembrance Sunday were originally religious.

Hibs got it right.

Spot on fella.

jakeshibs
11-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Was disappointed we didn't observe a silence on Saturday.

I am disappointed also, but there is mixed , conflicting feelings on this post as to the right thing, and we are all entitled to opinions. my opinion is we all should remember, we should take the opportunity to remember, many Hibs players, hibs supporters fought and died for us, so that we can choose, can have freedoms, I am very grateful and serve still.

SaulGoodman
11-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Isn't Remembrance Day for remembering those that gave their lives for us?

Sadly these days it seems to be used by people to take the moral high ground, everyone's got their own ways of remembering those that have died and I feel people should respect that instead of making judgements.

Hibercelona
11-11-2013, 10:42 AM

That's tosh mate.

Owen Coyle would have no legal grounds to do that.

Could you image being sent home from your own job for not wearing a poppy? It just wouldn't happen.

Scouse Hibee
11-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Lothian Buses pulled in at 11am and observed 2 minutes silence on Sunday and Today, well played to them. First and Citylink passed us today whilst we were parked.

Geo_1875
11-11-2013, 10:46 AM
I am disappointed also, but there is mixed , conflicting feelings on this post as to the right thing, and we are all entitled to opinions. my opinion is we all should remember, we should take the opportunity to remember, many Hibs players, hibs supporters fought and died for us, so that we can choose, can have freedoms, I am very grateful and serve still.

I agree that we should remember. I did yesterday and again today. These are the appropriate times, not at unconnected public gatherings of several thousand people.

jakeshibs
11-11-2013, 11:02 AM
I agree that we should remember. I did yesterday and again today. These are the appropriate times, not at unconnected public gatherings of several thousand people.

I agree to disagree, no hard feelings

TRC
11-11-2013, 11:05 AM
if it had been international weekend then would there be such an uproar? I think James McLean has every right not to wear one, I don't see the problem with this each to their own. but this a football forum and although it's football related I really think this thread should be moved. IMHO

clerriehibs
11-11-2013, 12:13 PM
As a serving soldier and a life long hibs supporter, I feel ashamed of some comments as we are able to watch football due to the sacrifices of so many who gave their lives for our freedoms and 1 minutes silence prior to kick off is not much to ask. I bet most families have been affected since 1914, and to remember them is not a lot to ask.. we all have our opinions but these men and woman asked for nothing but gave everything..

Which is why we do 11am on the 11th of the 11th.

As someone pointed out - was a silence held in any cinema? Or theatre, or the cricket tests, or the rugby autumn internationals?

Minute of silence at the airport too.

On Saturday and Sunday?

As many on here know I feel very strongly about this entire "issue" - not that it should be an issue if, in my opinion it wasn't for the Poppy Thieves usurping the true historical memory of what really happened and claiming even the Haymarket Clock as their own as if (as many of the deluded ones believe) their sacrifice was any more valid than anyone else's. On that point if anyone is in any who doubt what I am truly saying I AM NOT denying their brave sacrifice - every bit as brave as the guys form other clubs including our own who died.

At the latest Derby, a banner displayed at Half-Time read: "Lest We Forget HMFC did not pay For Their Poppies" in answer to their theft from the Lady Haig Fund and protestations that the debt had been paid - the banner was a statement of fact their Club did not pay the financial debt involved but left it to one of their more embarrassed follower to settle the outstanding invoice. The banner was removed, and when I made enquiries as to why and asked for the banner to be returned was informed by a police officer "It is not racist; It is not sectarian; It does not breach any law of Scotland; It is, shall we say, annoying; It should not have been taken down"

From the Club I received, and accept, the following reply (which I note says that whilst our Club has a good relationship with Poppy Scotland, the linking of HMFC with Poppy Scotland was not to be allowed at that particular game):

"The Club had become aware that our fans were intent on displaying banners at the game, some of which would likely relate to the current financial situation at Heart of Midlothian FC, whilst this in itself would not be a reason to exclude banners, we do have to make an assessment of the impact of any banner displayed and consider the likely negative impact.

Our Club has a very good relationship with Poppy Scotland and a decision was taken that any banners that bore the name or could link Poppy Scotland and the current situation at Heart of Midlothian FC would not be permitted to be displayed during this match, this is the reason that you were not permitted to put the banner up.

Whether you agree or disagree with this decision it was taken in the interests of the reputation of Poppy Scotland and our Club."

This might add to the debate on here. RIP to all who died, but the fact is the deluded Gorgie mob were not alone and their continued hypocrisy in this whole issue is one of the many reasons why I will continue to remind them of the facts. If you think it is bad now, just wait until the centenary of the outbreak of World War One net August 4th at the beginning of next season.

Why the hell are the polis removing a banner that hibs don,'t like?

Someone needs to remind Hibs that servicemen and women tend to have died in the name of freedom.

On another note; homfc own us. Time and again, hibs bend over backwards to avoid embarrassing them.

So far as I'm aware, the arrangement has NEVER been reciprocal.

Lucius Apuleius
11-11-2013, 12:22 PM
I don't feel shame or horror either, but I do think we should have had one. Do you think we should have had one?

Nope, I don't.

hibby rae
11-11-2013, 12:30 PM

It was stewards that removed the banner.

Jonnyboy
11-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Which is why we do 11am on the 11th of the 11th.

As someone pointed out - was a silence held in any cinema? Or theatre, or the cricket tests, or the rugby autumn internationals?

On Saturday and Sunday?

Someone needs to remind Hibs that servicemen and women tend to have died in the name of freedom.

On another note; homfc own us. Time and again, hibs bend over backwards to avoid embarrassing them.

So far as I'm aware, the arrangement has NEVER been reciprocal.

TBF I think Hibs didn't want to embarrass Poppy Scotland. That's the way I read it anyway

jakeshibs
11-11-2013, 04:24 PM

I agree with you and feel it has opened the door for others to dig at the club, many other sporting (football) events observed (rightly in my opinion) the minutes silence, and collectively on the closest Saturday we did not, this opinion differs from many on here, however I think it was a mistake,

jakeshibs
11-11-2013, 04:50 PM

my opinion the closest Saturday yes they do,

clerriehibs
11-11-2013, 04:51 PM
my opinion the closest Saturday yes they do,

What about theatre goers?

lord bunberry
11-11-2013, 05:07 PM
What about theatre goers?

Theatre goers can go to the theatre on armistice day and observe the silence if it coincides with their visit. The saturday before is the the only time the whole hibs family from chairman down to ordinary fans are all in the same place at the same time.

jakeshibs
11-11-2013, 05:08 PM

yes

jakeshibs
11-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Theatre goers can go to the theatre on armistice day and observe the silence if it coincides with their visit. The saturday before is the the only time the whole hibs family from chairman down to ordinary fans are all in the same place at the same time.

ideal opportunity

marinello59
11-11-2013, 05:10 PM
ideal opportunity

Better than 11am on the 11th?

cocopops1875
11-11-2013, 05:13 PM
yes

Why ? As nobody answered at the first time of asking

Keith_M
11-11-2013, 05:13 PM

I think it's sad when some people are imposing their opinions on others.

If someone wants to wear a Poppy as a mark of respect, fine, that's their choice. When people are pressured into doing so by the media and those who have no respect for other people's viewpoints then that really isn't OK.

I have never worn a Poppy, for personal reasons**, but it does NOT mean I am disrespecting those who died in any war. If someone makes that assumption about me without knowing why, then they are only showing themselves to be the fool.

** In no way connected to anything going on in the West of Scotland or Northern Ireland. I am not Celtc minded.

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-11-2013, 05:16 PM
I agree with you and feel it has opened the door for others to dig at the club, many other sporting (football) events observed (rightly in my opinion) the minutes silence, and collectively on the closest Saturday we did not, this opinion differs from many on here, however I think it was a mistake,

Very much this for me.

Scouse Hibee
11-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Never mind asking about theatres as it wasn't done at the Pantomine on Saturday either.

jakeshibs
11-11-2013, 05:26 PM
/This is done up and down the whole country to mark respect, and almost every sporting ground, its the only time the whole family are together as we go to our own parades or services on the Remembrance Sunday, is it to much to ask. honestly I don't believe it is and am disappointed, and already receiving bad press as others perceive this as lack of respect. I am HIBS daft, but feel a wee bit let down, but we all have our opinion, hence this being a forum
we have to agree to disagree, I feel strongly about it maybe others don't, that is choice. we choose to go to games, or not, we all believe our view of the game and players is the right one, and other must be watching different games, the manager is poor /good. We are all Hibbys from different backgrounds, now lets stop this thread and get on with supporting Hibs..

cocopops1875
11-11-2013, 05:28 PM

aye.

yes

Now im no sayin the Laddie is no a bellend but i respect his decision on this

Controversial Sunderland winger James McClean has defended his decision to refuse to wear a poppy on his shirt.

The Republic of Ireland international received death threats and attracted a storm of criticism last year after he wore a normal shirt for the game against Everton in the lead-up to Remembrance Sunday, rather than one embroidered with a poppy.

The Derry-born midfielder, who was signed from his hometown club 18 months ago, was brought up on the Creggan Estate in the city. In 1972, 14 people, including six from the large housing estate, were murdered by British troops on Bloody Sunday.

McClean defends poppy decision as club warns him to steer clear of Twitter

By Colin Young

PUBLISHED: 14:49, 10 February 2013 | UPDATED: 14:49, 10 February 2013

View
comments

Controversial Sunderland winger James McClean has defended his decision to refuse to wear a poppy on his shirt.

The Republic of Ireland international received death threats and attracted a storm of criticism last year after he wore a normal shirt for the game against Everton in the lead-up to Remembrance Sunday, rather than one embroidered with a poppy.

The Derry-born midfielder, who was signed from his hometown club 18 months ago, was brought up on the Creggan Estate in the city. In 1972, 14 people, including six from the large housing estate, were murdered by British troops on Bloody Sunday.
McClean has stood by his decision not to wear a shirt embroidered with a poppy

Unrepentant: McClean has stood by his decision not to wear a shirt embroidered with a poppy

McClean auctioned his own poppy-less shirt for a children’s charity and he insisted he would do the same again.

'People have their own opinions,' he said. 'They have their beliefs and I have mine. I don’t regret it, come next year I’m going to do the same thing.'

He was supported at the time by his club and international team-mate John O’Shea, who said the whole team were behind his decision.
'I got a lot of flak from everybody,' McClean added, 'but I’ll say it again, it doesn’t bother me. Every year I’m not going to wear it, so I’ll take whatever comes.'

On Friday, Sunderland manager Martin O’Neill expressed disappointment that McClean had returned to Twitter, despite warnings from the club to stay off the social networking site.

McClean was on international duty for last week’s friendly win over Poland at the time. The 23-year-old says he has now left Twitter again.

He received death threats on the site last year in the wake of his decision not to wear the poppy

McClean added: 'I’m actually not allowed on it. It was short and sweet this week and I’ve had to come back off it.’

‘I was a young lad and it was all new to me. If someone has a go at me I’m going to give some back but I’ve learned to let it go and not bite back as much. And whenever the club let me back on, hopefully I can show them that I have settled down.'

jakeshibs
11-11-2013, 06:08 PM

in my opinion he should wear a poppy out of respect for all those people who gave the ultimate sacrifice in service of their country and freedoms of life, due to them giving their all, we can have discussions, debates watch football make choices, the way of life we have today is down to these individuals fighting for it, this is our history our culture, my opinion but people can say my choice is not to wear only because these brave people fought so hard to ensure their way of life. As I said my opinion

cocopops1875
11-11-2013, 06:18 PM
in my opinion he should wear a poppy out of respect for all those people who gave the ultimate sacrifice in service of their country and freedoms of life, due to them giving their all, we can have discussions, debates watch football make choices, the way of life we have today is down to these individuals fighting for it, this is our history our culture, my opinion but people can say my choice is not to wear only because these brave people fought so hard to ensure their way of life. As I said my opinion
What was his way of life growing up in Northern Ireland that he should be thankful to the British Army for ?

jakeshibs
11-11-2013, 06:22 PM
What was his way of life growing up in Northern Ireland that he should be thankful to the British Army for ?

I grew up their too, this is not about bloody sunday, politics, but the efforts of all those in 1914, as I stated we all have our opinions, religions reasons and cultures.

Hibercelona
11-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Now im no sayin the Laddie is no a bellend but i respect his decision on this

The irony in all of this is that the people giving him death threats are displaying acts of terrorism that the British Army fight hard to defend this country from.

superbam
11-11-2013, 06:26 PM
The thing that people seem to forget about the James McLean poppy issue is that he is from the Creggan estate in Derry. Even if he did want to wear one (and I cant imagine that he would ) he would be putting him and his family in serious danger.

cocopops1875
11-11-2013, 06:30 PM
I grew up their too, this is not about bloody sunday, politics, but the efforts of all those in 1914, as I stated we all have our opinions, religions reasons and cultures.

You respect others reasons,opinions and cultures yet you dismiss his opinion as nothing to do with Bloody Sunday ? Baffling

cocopops1875
11-11-2013, 06:32 PM
The thing that people seem to forget about the James McLean poppy issue is that he is from the Creggan estate in Derry. Even if he did want to wear one (and I cant imagine that he would ) he would be putting him and his family in serious danger.

Aye but jakes hibs grew up there and he is Poppy Daft

clerriehibs
11-11-2013, 06:33 PM

Hibs observe armistice day when it coincides with a home match.
Everyone who wants Hibs to observe the silence at other times will most certainly also observe the silence on remembrance Sunday and on the 11th itself. I don't get the insistence of it happening at the match as well.
My company, rightly, observes the silence when the 11th is a workday. It doesn't have an additional silence when the 11th is on a weekend to make sure the whole work family can observe the silence together, and why would it?

jakeshibs
11-11-2013, 06:38 PM

that is a silly comment

clerriehibs
11-11-2013, 06:42 PM

So a if he was to wear a poppy, and publicly state it was a mark of respect for those who died fighting for Irish independence, you'd think that was OK?

In theory, it should be OK;remembrance is supposed to be about ALL who gave their lives in conflict. UK plc would never stand for it though.

Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday used to be a wonderful apolitical time for reflection.

The present and previous governments have hijacked it and the armed services to give credibility to their illegal wars. You can't speak out against those wars or you're anti-armed forces, and you must wear a poppy or you're anti-armed forces.

cocopops1875
11-11-2013, 06:47 PM
that is a silly comment

So was your "I grew up there" one

Jonnyboy
11-11-2013, 06:47 PM
So a if he was to wear a poppy, and publicly state it was a mark of respect for those who died fighting for Irish independence, you'd think that was OK?

In theory, it should be OK;remembrance is supposed to be about ALL who gave their lives in conflict. UK plc would never stand for it though.

Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday used to be a wonderful apolitical time for reflection.

The present and previous governments have hijacked it and the armed services to give credibility to their illegal wars. You can't speak out against those wars or you're anti-armed forces, and you must wear a poppy or you're anti-armed forces.

Interesting to see Ozil wearing a shirt with a poppy on in the Arsenal game.

jakeshibs
11-11-2013, 06:49 PM

I agree and if you look at previous post stated its about all, and hoped this thread would get closed as its a very emotive subject, I don't speak out was asked why, so gave my opinion and respect his decision and other cultures and religions, and agree with your balanced comments.

Hibernia&Alba
11-11-2013, 06:49 PM

I don't think that's fair to Jake. We know this can be an emotive issue and, sadly, it can be mis-used by people with an agenda either way. It's perfectly reasonable that those with a negative experience of the British army should be uncomfortable or even hostile to Remembrance Sunday. Those who lived under colonial rule at some point may have suffered greatly. On the other hand, we remember those who suffered greatly whilst serving in the British army; those young lads who died in the mud and filth of 1914-18 (thousands of whom were Irish) and those who fought fascism 1939-45. Whether one views an army as a liberator or an oppressor will depend upon ones experience. Without question the history of British military involvement, as with many other countries, is multi-faceted and complex, sometimes very noble, sometimes decidedly ignoble. Only by acknowledging this can we hope to properly remember the suffering of all, and perhaps by so doing we can avoid the mistakes of the past. If we allow differences of opinion and appreciate the complexity of the history, it can only be for the better.

nonshinyfinish
11-11-2013, 06:51 PM
I don't think that's fair to Jake. We know this can be an emotive issue and, sadly, it can be mis-used by people with an agenda either way. It's perfectly reasonable that those with a negative experience of the British army should be uncomfortable or even hostile to Remembrance Sunday. Those who lived under colonial rule at some point may have suffered greatly. On the other hand, we remember those who suffered greatly whilst serving in the British army; those young lads who died in the mud and filth of 1914-18 (thousands of whom were Irish) and those who fought fascism 1939-45. Whether one views an army as a liberator or an oppressor will depend upon ones experience. Without question the history of British military involvement, as with many other countries, is multi-faceted and complex, sometimes very noble, sometimes decidedly ignoble. Only by acknowledging this can we hope to properly remember the suffering of all, and perhaps by so doing we can avoid the mistakes of the past. If we allow differences of opinion and appreciate the complexity of the history, it can only be for the better.

This is an excellent post.

cocopops1875
11-11-2013, 06:54 PM
I think it's as fair as jakes comment was to McLean, at least it was directed at him with a right to reply

Jonnyboy

Can't help feeling that the way this thread has unfolded it might be better placed on the Holy Ground messageboard

jakeshibs
So was your "I grew up there" one

I did in NI, County Down its true but not poppy daft. I support the act of Remembrance, my choice as I understand his.

Hibercelona
11-11-2013, 06:56 PM

This has been my thoughts on it as well for quite a number of years now. But don't tell too many people that, or you'll be branded a terrorist.

jakeshibs
11-11-2013, 06:57 PM

well said my point just not able to articulate it as well as you have put, thank you.

cocopops1875
11-11-2013, 06:59 PM
I did in NI, County Down its true but not poppy daft. I support the act of Remembrance, my choice as I understand his.

So not on the Creggan Estate in Derry as you alluded to then ?

jakeshibs
11-11-2013, 07:02 PM
you said
What was his way of life growing up in Northern Ireland that he should be thankful to the British Army for ?you said " I replied to that comment.

clerriehibs
11-11-2013, 07:07 PM

He didn't; the way I read it was he came from NI.

cocopops1875
11-11-2013, 07:09 PM
you said
What was his way of life growing up in Northern Ireland that he should be thankful to the British Army for ?you said " I replied to that comment.

I had already mentioned the estate he had grown up on, and without being a dick about this I did say HIS WAY OF LIFE, as I'm sure you are aware not everyone in Northern Ireland will share his view but as I'm sure you are also aware 99% from his estate will

cocopops1875
11-11-2013, 07:22 PM
He didn't; the way I read it was he came from NI.

If we were talking about NI generally I would agree but as we were discussing One person I think it was fair to assume we were talking about a less general area than a whole country, I will be sure to be more precise in future when talking about the politics of a country where different ends of the one road can be at war

Hibernia&Alba
11-11-2013, 07:23 PM
I had already mentioned the estate he had grown up on, and without being a dick about this I did say HIS WAY OF LIFE, as I'm sure you are aware not everyone in Northern Ireland will share his view but as I'm sure you are also aware 99% from his estate will

Absolutely. Those who lived in nationalist areas of Northern Ireland during the troubles have good reason to feel resentful - Bloody Sunday, internment, collusion, shoot to kill etc. It's a very dark chapter. Nobody should be condemned for their principles on the poppy, we just need to acknowledge the full history and the very different types of conflict that we remember, along with the remembrance of all who died.

cocopops1875
11-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Absolutely. Those who lived in nationalist areas of Northern Ireland during the troubles have good reason to feel resentful - Bloody Sunday, internment, collusion, shoot to kill etc. It's a very dark chapter. Nobody should be condemned for their principles on the poppy, we just need to acknowledge the full history and the very different types of conflict that we remember, along with the remembrance of all who died.
The thing is I'm fairly Pro-Poppy (I own 4 Hibs Shirts with Poppys on them) but one thing I'm 100% on is being Pro-Choice and I believe in peoples right to Wear a Poppy, not Wear a Poppy, go to a service and pay their respects, play golf on a Sunday while the services are on, stop in silence at 11am today or continue to talk. These rights were brought to us all by the people who fought in the 2 world wars

lapsedhibee
11-11-2013, 07:50 PM

And Podolski was "injured" and Mertesacker "ill". :hmmm:

Jonnyboy
11-11-2013, 07:53 PM
And Podolski was "injured" and Mertesacker "ill". :hmmm:

Podolski has been out recently with an injury and Mertesacker was one of a few players laid low with a stomach bug.

Hibernia Na Eir
11-11-2013, 07:55 PM
The thing is I'm fairly Pro-Poppy (I own 4 Hibs Shirts with Poppys on them) but one thing I'm 100% on is being Pro-Choice and I believe in peoples right to Wear a Poppy, not Wear a Poppy, go to a service and pay their respects, play golf on a Sunday while the services are on, stop in silence at 11am today or continue to talk. These rights were brought to us all by the people who fought in the 2 world wars

don't think H&A is denying that. He's putting across his point from another perspective. And there is one.

Aldo
11-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Podolski has been out recently with an injury and Mertesacker was one of a few players laid low with a stomach bug.

Podolski did his hamstring in the win against Fulham a few weeks ago.

lapsedhibee
11-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Podolski has been out recently with an injury and Mertesacker was one of a few players laid low with a stomach bug.:wink:

Jonnyboy
11-11-2013, 08:15 PM
:wink:

You need to get that eye problem sorted out :greengrin

Crazyhorse
11-11-2013, 08:54 PM

I don't think Ozil sees his identity as German really.

Jonnyboy
11-11-2013, 08:56 PM
I don't think Ozil sees his identity as German really.

Possibly not but he chose to play football for Germany.

Crazyhorse
11-11-2013, 08:58 PM

Sadly this is true. War criminal BLIAR and his sc*mdoctor Campbell pushed this divisive attitude constantly - with help from their Press lapdogs.

TRC
11-11-2013, 09:10 PM
the other thing is when was the UK's freedom last threatened, because all I can remember (I'm not that old) is the British going to places to be The USA's lap dog. I understand the poppies and the remembrances for people that were forced to go and fight but everyone in the armed forces has a choice now. no one is forcing their hand. obviously we should remember them for the sacrifice they have given, but people die in all sorts of jobs everyday.

Crazyhorse
11-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Possibly not but he chose to play football for Germany.

Yeah that's true and he probably does feel German but he doesn't seem to wish to identify with the more overt national symbols like the national anthem.

cocopops1875
11-11-2013, 10:23 PM
don't think H&A is denying that. He's putting across his point from another perspective. And there is one.

Pretty sure I was agreeing with H&A

lucky
11-11-2013, 10:55 PM
In my opinion Hibs made a big mistake on Saturday by not having the minutes silence. Hibs and Ross county were the only two. It's has made us look like a mini Celtic. If Hibs had done a minutes silence I'm sure it would have been impeccably observed but sadly yet agin Hibs make another PR blunder.

Miguel
11-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Some historical context to aid the discussion:

After WWI, the poppy fund was set up under the patronage of Earl and Lady Haig to raise money to provide assistance for veterans. At that time, in the early 1920s, Haig was acclaimed as a national hero, the man who had won the war, including many of those who had served under him and there were massive turnouts at his funeral and at the unveiling of his statue on the Castle Esplanade.

From the 1930s onwards, criticism of the methods he and other generals used - which involved heavy losses - grew. This was the 'lions led by donkeys' school, which was promoted by pacifists and the left, and found expression in films from 'All Quiet On The Western Front' in the 30s to 'Oh What A Lovely War' in the 1960s and encouraged by the words of the war poets and by Marxist historians who argued that it had been a capitalist war. By the 60s, Haig's reputation had been trashed, and he was seen as one of the 'donkeys'. He has since been rehabilitated to an extent by 'revisionist' historians.

For a long time, I didn't wear a red poppy because of political convictions, the Haig connection and disgust at the way people like peace campaigners and Irish Nationalists were shouted down for wearing white or green poppies: that seemed to fly in the face of the 'freedom' argument we had been fed as a justification for those who had made the 'ultimate sacrifice'.

As I matured, I started to buy one, as the positives seemed to outweigh the negatives. The wars had to be commemorated, and the sacrifice of people like my grandfather recognised. I still thought that the bloody government should pay for the upkeep of disabled veterans rather than the public, but life's not black and white.

'Poppy fascism' has been growing since Afghanistan and Iraq. I honestly don't know if it's a ploy by government to get people onside with their illegal wars, or the military craving recognition for essentially doing their job (see Kipling). Maybe a bit of both.

The issue is complex, but people should be left to make their own choice on poppies and silences and they should not be foisted on people. Hibs were right. Rememberance Sunday and Armistace Day are the times for these tributes.

Today, I was on a bus. The driver announced that he would be parking at the stop to observe the silence. It was observed and then he drove off. That's how it should be.

PatHead
11-11-2013, 11:29 PM
Personally I observe the minute's silence but I respect others opinions. It has been hijacked though by the press and government with charities helping to cover the shocking treatment of ex servicemen/women. Certain clubs have also hijacked the armed service thing as well. Excellent article on hypocrisy attached. http://quaer0.wordpress.com/2013/11/11/hypocrisy-that-knows-no-bounds/ Must admit don't find dignity in a lot of the "respect" given now. It has almost become a red nose day.

Sir David Gray
12-11-2013, 12:18 AM
I find it difficult to see understand what you don't understand about the official statement.

I'm pretty sure I made my point quite clearly in my previous post but, for the avoidance of doubt, I'm more than happy to explain things again.

In the statement Hibs put out on the official site, they implied that the reason no silence was held on Saturday was because the SPFL, unlike the SPL before them, has no relationship with Poppy Scotland and therefore there was no directive from the SPFL asking clubs to observe a silence at the weekend.

Other clubs in Scotland observed a minute's silence on Saturday so that clearly has no bearing at all on whether or not a club is able to hold a minute's silence prior to a particular match. It's a cop-out in my opinion.

I strongly believe that it is very important for football, our national game, to show its respect at this time of year to those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for their country. I understand that Hibs players wore poppies on their shirts and that the club was represented at the Remembrance Sunday event at Haymarket but, in my opinion, the club should always be holding a minute's silence before the match which falls closest to Armistice Day and I am disappointed that Hibs failed to do that this year.

Hopefully that will be rectified for next year.

Hibs got it right.

First of all my post was purely my opinion so it cannot possibly be wrong. You may disagree with my opinion but that's a completely different matter.

Second of all, if you type in "Remembrance Day" into Google, you get 285 million hits so I think you'll find that "Remembrance Day" is a recognised phrase. In fact, if you look at the article on the Hibs website, it is titled as "Remembrance Day"!

You feel Hibs called it right on Saturday by not holding a silence and I strongly disagree with that. I'm not going to say that you're wrong and I'm right because they're both just opinions but no argument that is put forward, which supports the non-observance of a silence at Easter Road on Saturday, will make me change my mind on this one.

Out of the six home clubs at the weekend, we're one of only two who either failed to hold a silence altogether or failed to publicly express regret at not holding a silence on Saturday. I'm disappointed with that.

cocopops1875
12-11-2013, 12:29 AM
In my opinion Hibs made a big mistake on Saturday by not having the minutes silence. Hibs and Ross county were the only two. It's has made us look like a mini Celtic. If Hibs had done a minutes silence I'm sure it would have been impeccably observed but sadly yet agin Hibs make another PR blunder.
There wasn't one at the Killie game either I believe

Sir David Gray
12-11-2013, 12:35 AM
There wasn't one at the Killie game either I believe

There were four games in the Premiership that didn't observe a silence on Saturday.

Ross County-Celtic
Hibs-Inverness
Partick Thistle-St Mirren
St Johnstone-Kilmarnock

Ross County and St Johnstone have publicly apologised for not holding a silence.

Scouse Hibee
12-11-2013, 07:41 AM

WTF! Why do people always have to bring up this rubbish.

lucky
12-11-2013, 08:17 AM
WTF! Why do people always have to bring up this rubbish.

Because its true. Hibs mucked up big time no amount of history lessons or politics are going change that

Scouse Hibee
12-11-2013, 08:39 AM
Because its true. Hibs mucked up big time no amount of history lessons or politics are going change that

It’s true..............”mini Celtic”.............. get a grip!

We are not a mini anything and certainly not a mini version of Celtic FC!
We are Hibernian FC a club in our own right with morals, principles and values and above all our own identity. To even suggest that an oversight by the club should have us referred to as a mini Celtic is abhorrent to me. The club have issued a statement and explained the reasons behind the omission of a silence at Saturday’s game, accept it move on and stop trying to associate the club as a smaller version of one of our rivals. It says more about the way you think than anything else.

JimBHibees
12-11-2013, 10:44 AM
There were four games in the Premiership that didn't observe a silence on Saturday.

Ross County-Celtic
Hibs-Inverness
Partick Thistle-St Mirren
St Johnstone-Kilmarnock

Ross County and St Johnstone have publicly apologised for not holding a silence.

When did football matches start doing a minutes silence for Remembrance. It is really only I would guess in the last 5 years or so. We seem to have survived the previous 90 years without it being foisted on football matches. It is to a large extent been politically driven (Blair) and a mimic of the US where military personnel are revered much more. I think that Remembrance Sunday and the thousands of events throughout the country are fantastically worthwhile and important however I am not sure that football games need to be involved in it the more pertinent point maybe is why Governments who are only too happy to send armed forces to war arent so willing to look after the personnel when they return.

JimBHibees
12-11-2013, 10:46 AM

How is it true? Are all the other teams who didnt have a minutes silence mini celtic too. Only brain dear orcs (either Glasgow or Tynie) would think that was right.

lapsedhibee
12-11-2013, 07:02 PM
When did football matches start doing a minutes silence for Remembrance. It is really only I would guess in the last 5 years or so. We seem to have survived the previous 90 years without it being foisted on football matches. It is to a large extent been politically driven (Blair) and a mimic of the US where military personnel are revered much more. I think that Remembrance Sunday and the thousands of events throughout the country are fantastically worthwhile and important however I am not sure that football games need to be involved in it the more pertinent point maybe is why Governments who are only too happy to send armed forces to war arent so willing to look after the personnel when they return.

I don't entirely blame Blair. Though it was in his era that Sally McCoist could be heard all over the radio insisting that a Scotland international (can't remember who against) couldn't possibly be played on the day of some rich gel's funeral. I blame the hun for starting a trend that something that was nothing to do with fitba should influence how the fitba was organised. I don't think there were cannons at Ibrox before he said what he said. Cant.

Geo_1875
12-11-2013, 07:23 PM
I don't entirely blame Blair. Though it was in his era that Sally McCoist could be heard all over the radio insisting that a Scotland international (can't remember who against) couldn't possibly be played on the day of some rich gel's funeral. I blame the hun for starting a trend that something that was nothing to do with fitba should influence how the fitba was organised. I don't think there were cannons at Ibrox before he said what he said. Cant.

Was that the funeral of the English ex-wife of the Prince of Wales who died in France with her Egyptian boyfriend that brought Scotland to a standstill?

Brizo
13-11-2013, 06:28 AM
[QUOTE=JimBHibees;3805827]When did football matches start doing a minutes silence for Remembrance. It is really only I would guess in the last 5 years or so. We seem to have survived the previous 90 years without it being foisted on football matches. /QUOTE]

Certainly not for much longer than that. Same with poppies on the strips. Both are recent phenomenoms brought about by a number of factors, chief imo a cultural shift and apparent need for public displays of commemoration/grief ; which as per the previous poster seems to have taken hold after Dianas funeral.

I wear a poppy and have on occasion attended Remembrance services. But I dont see the need for poppies on strips or a minutes silence at the fitba. If people want to gather in a communal setting to remember the fallen there are any number of opportunities to do so in the far more fitting and poignant setting of war memorials or, if religious, church service. I wonder how many of those criticising Hibs attended either over the last weekend ?

Brightside
13-11-2013, 06:46 AM

Rubbish. Football has got nothing to do with this and should never have other peoples opinions forced upon it. If you want to commemorate something that happened life-times ago against nations that we are now at peace with then on you go. But its absurd to say that everyone should be forced to make some sort of show to suit others agenda.

Saorsa
13-11-2013, 06:49 AM
In my opinion Hibs made a big mistake on Saturday by not having the minutes silence. Hibs and Ross county were the only two. It's has made us look like a mini Celtic. If Hibs had done a minutes silence I'm sure it would have been impeccably observed but sadly yet agin Hibs make another PR blunder.What a load of cobblers.

lapsedhibee
13-11-2013, 06:51 AM
Was that the funeral of the English ex-wife of the Prince of Wales who died in France with her Egyptian boyfriend that brought Scotland to a standstill?
You know, I do believe it was! "The People (of Egypt)'s Princess"!

Same with poppies on the strips. Both are recent phenomenoms brought about by a number of factors, chief imo a cultural shift and apparent need for public displays of commemoration/grief ; which as per the previous poster seems to have taken hold after Dianas funeral.

More annoying even than the need for displays of grief is the need to be competitive and judgmental about it - I care more than you because I buy several poppies/want Saturday and Sunday and Monday to be regarded as commemorative days and the fact that you don't makes you a disgrace/disrespectful/immoral/**** etc.