PDA

View Full Version : Erich Schaedler Player Profile

Hibs History
10-11-2013, 04:07 PM
New player profile online from the Hibernian Historical Trust.

Featuring Erich Schaedler.

Link (http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/player-profiles/item/177-erich-schaedler)

Please share your memories of Shades below.

SmashinGlass
10-11-2013, 04:40 PM

Link (http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/player-profiles/item/177-erich-schaedler)

That's a cracking read. I don't have any memories of Erich, as he was a bit before my time, but sounds very much like a good character. If only the current team had someone with a fraction of the desire, we'd be in a much better state.

It's a tragedy that he left us the way he did. RIP

Tom Hart RIP
10-11-2013, 04:44 PM
I remember Ron Atkinson going mental when Erich tackled Bryan Robson. I seem to remember he was wearing a fur coat? And Bertie Auld had a massive bonnet? Or is memory playing tricks?

tamig
10-11-2013, 04:47 PM
I remember Ron Atkinson going mental when Erich tackled Bryan Robson. I seem to remember he was wearing a fur coat? And Bertie Auld had a massive bonnet? Or is memory playing tricks?
You're absolutely correct. Think Bertie had the cigar fired up too that day.

Pretty Boy
10-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Every player that ever plays for Hibs should be shown a video of THAT tackle from the 0-7 game and told that that is what it should mean to play for us.

Bostonhibby
10-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Every player that ever plays for Hibs should be shown a video of THAT tackle from the 0-7 game and told that that is what it should mean to play for us.

:agree: After Pat Stanton, Shades was my next favourite player. superbly fit and never ever shirked a tackle, brave and a good footballer as well. Had a real affinity with the club and the fans, Playing for the jersey is a phrase that's often lightly used but in Erichs' case, never a truer word.

SkintHibby
10-11-2013, 06:22 PM
In the article it states:

'His last appearance in the famous green and white jersey came in a 2-2 draw at Tynecastle, the scene of arguably his greatest triumph in April 1985'.

Is this the game where Joe McBride scored two late goals?

If so, I never realised I had seen Erich play as this was only the second Hibs match I had attended.

ShadesLongThrow
10-11-2013, 06:27 PM
As my user name suggests, my memory is his very long throws. Invariably flicked on at the front post for Alan Gordon or Jimmy O'Rourke to finish off. That and being the hardest left back I've ever seen. :agree: Any winger that got past Erich generally only did it the once.

thebakerboy
10-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Saw an article in the (wife's) Daily Mail last week suggesting that his death was not as clear cut as it seemed at the time. His brother is now saying that he was warned not to ask any more questions or he might suffer something similar. Never thought Shades was the type to take his own life or have an accident with a gun.

One Day
10-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Saw an article in the (wife's) Daily Mail last week suggesting that his death was not as clear cut as it seemed at the time. His brother is now saying that he was warned not to ask any more questions or he might suffer something similar. Never thought Shades was the type to take his own life or have an accident with a gun.

was never fully explained, a bit sinister now

Jonnyboy
10-11-2013, 10:19 PM
In the article it states:

'His last appearance in the famous green and white jersey came in a 2-2 draw at Tynecastle, the scene of arguably his greatest triumph in April 1985'.

Is this the game where Joe McBride scored two late goals?

If so, I never realised I had seen Erich play as this was only the second Hibs match I had attended.

It was and you did :greengrin

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=16955

JohnStephens91
11-11-2013, 02:20 AM
Great read, he was one of my granddads favourite players and he owned a match worn shirt which was passed on to my dad following my granddads death and the shirt is now on my wall in my room.

SkintHibby
11-11-2013, 04:43 AM
It was and you did :greengrin

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=16955

Brilliant! Thanks JB!:aok:

MKHIBEE
11-11-2013, 05:08 PM
Erich lived about 150 yards from me when he played amateur football in Peebles and I joined him on a couple of his solo training sessions at Kerfield Park, a smashing guy. His dad was involved in my local boys team and he used to make my (goalkeeping) life hell when we played. Happy memories of it now though.

Golden Bear
11-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Erich lived about 150 yards from me when he played amateur football in Peebles and I joined him on a couple of his solo training sessions at Kerfield Park, a smashing guy. His dad was involved in my local boys team and he used to make my (goalkeeping) life hell when we played. Happy memories of it now though.

Erich's Dad used to kick and head every ball that came near his son. It must have been a nightmare to sit behind him at ER because there was no way he could sit still for the duration of the match. He was up and down from his seat like a puppet on a string for the entire 90 minutes.

:greengrin

delbert
12-11-2013, 04:49 AM

I loved the way Erich played the game, hard as nails but fair, you could just sense what this club meant to him and the fans loved him for that. Saw him so many times for Hibs and I know how priveleged I am to have watched all his best moments, including 'that' tackle. However I remember one period of play in his latter spell which for me summed up the man and the player. It was in a fairly poor game at Easter Road against Dumbarton, we won 2-0 on the day, can't remember the date but was in the 80's. Dumbarton had possession just inside their own half and Erich moved in to challenge so the guy quickly passed the ball on, but Erich then simply chased the next guy down. This happened with 4 or 5 players in a row till eventually Erich forced the last guy into a mistake and ball went out for a throw. To a man, crowd rose and applauded Shades, if ever one passage of play in a nothing game epitomised this man and how he played the game, that for me was it. I can't remember anything else about that match, don't know who scored for us, but in those 10 or 12 seconds the character of the man shone through, never give up doesn't even come close to describing how he played the game.

pacorosssco
12-11-2013, 07:26 AM
Why did we let him join Dundee in 1977?. Was this the start of Turnbull's decline?.

banarc7062
12-11-2013, 08:56 AM
:agree: After Pat Stanton, Shades was my next favourite player. superbly fit and never ever shirked a tackle, brave and a good footballer as well. Had a real affinity with the club and the fans, Playing for the jersey is a phrase that's often lightly used but in Erichs' case, never a truer word.

My avatar says it all. Always been one of my Hibs GREATS.

Col L
12-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Most of your questions are covered in detail in my book, out now:

"SHADES, the Short Life and Tragic Death of Erich Schaedler"

He was already a hero of mine when I first started researching the book, and even more so now having written it!

Happy to answer any questions if you want to PM me or get me on twitter @shadesthebook

GGTTH

JimBHibees
12-11-2013, 11:50 AM

Wow had never heard that before. Seems a strange one to be honest though obviously you can never know what an individual is going through in their life.. Dont really know the circumstances at all beyond what was reported.

TornadoHibby
12-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Why did we let him join Dundee in 1977?. Was this the start of Turnbull's decline?.

No that team started to fall apart when Harper was signed! :confused:

Harper had an arrogant streak about him that many of the squad didn't like one little bit! :agree:

jdships
12-11-2013, 03:38 PM
All I can say now is I am honoured to have known Erich ,watched him play and to call him MY FRIEND
He was also friend to my family and never missed a Christmas to get in touch
One of lifes " Good Guys" in my book
Lovely man sadly missed