PDA

View Full Version : Qatar World Cup

Hibbyradge
09-08-2013, 10:39 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23640800

frazeHFC
09-08-2013, 10:57 PM
Pretty much every European League is going to have to change schedules, including the Champions League etc. Gonna be such a mess, stupid decision. Understandable why they would want it moved due to the heat but they shouldn't have been awarded it imo. Just my thoughts anyway.

Sir David Gray
09-08-2013, 11:00 PM
Absolute disgrace but I don't think it comes as any surprise.

FIFA were made fully aware at the time that the decision was made that holding an outdoor event in Qatar in July would be almost impossible considering the intense heat that is experienced there at that time of year and yet they insisted that they could make it work.

Daytime temperatures in July in Doha rarely drop below 100F and can regularly go above 110F. Playing football in those sorts of conditions is really dangerous and it was never going to be a viable option.

I think this just highlights the stupidity of this decision and a move to winter is going to cause havoc with almost every single domestic league season.

Ryan69
09-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Absolute disgrace but I don't think it comes as any surprise.

FIFA were made fully aware at the time that the decision was made that holding an outdoor event in Qatar in July would be almost impossible considering the intense heat that is experienced there at that time of year and yet they insisted that they could make it work.

Daytime temperatures in July in Doha rarely drop below 100F and can regularly go above 110F. Playing football in those sorts of conditions is really dangerous and it was never going to be a viable option.

I think this just highlights the stupidity of this decision and a move to winter is going to cause havoc with almost every single domestic league season.

Money talks and the Qataris obviously offered the biggest bribes.
The corruption of fifa is ridiculous,cant really be bothered with the football side of it...only lining eachothers pockets.

The Green Goblin
09-08-2013, 11:36 PM
Money talks and the Qataris obviously offered the biggest bribes.
The corruption of fifa is ridiculous,cant really be bothered with the football side of it...only lining eachothers pockets.

This. 100%.

Glory Lurker
10-08-2013, 12:07 AM
Wow. Hot in Arabia in summertime. They'd have thought of that, wouldn't they? :dunno:

Time For Heroes
10-08-2013, 12:12 AM
Wtf?

Ryan69
10-08-2013, 02:50 AM
one example of how its openly accepted within FIFA is that England told Thailand. Well bring England to play Thailand....If you vote for us our presentation.
Thailand voted with someone else...must of got some Qatari money or something...so England cancelled the friendly.
The money generated from that game,and amount of Thai officials that would no doubt of pocketed a hell of alot of money if they had voted England.
If thats not bribery,then what is? It just seems like you cant hand cash money to a representative....unless its so much that nobody squeels of course.

The idea of a world cup in winter in Qatar is absolutely ridiculous....But you can guarantee all their voters are living a good life now,as a world cup there makes no logical sense at all.

wearethehibs
10-08-2013, 08:04 AM
Lets face it, its in 2022, I suspect the machines will have taken over by then anyway, or at least some sort of zombie apocalypse. So Im not to worried about the heat at the world cup :)

Juice-Terry
10-08-2013, 08:15 AM
Everything's going to ****. Boo!

marinello59
10-08-2013, 08:16 AM
I couldn't care less. International Fitba has been slowly losing its appeal for years. Where we used to talk about Brazil and the great Dutch sides as being the best teams on the planet we now reference club sides such as Barcelona. The clubs themselves are becoming much less willing to see their valuable assets risk injury in what to them is a sideshow. The clubs would be mad not to use this situation to push for the right to say no to international call ups.

YehButNoBut
10-08-2013, 08:20 AM
I think it would be a good idea to play the WC in the winter, play it over December & January and have a winter break in all the domestic leagues, which could be extended into June.

Don't see any problem with that.

lapsedhibee
10-08-2013, 08:33 AM
I think it would be a good idea to play the WC in the winter, play it over December & January and have a winter break in all the domestic leagues, which could be extended into June.

Don't see any problem with that.

But what about the New Year's Day derby at Tynecastle? :grr: :panic:

Oh wait

HIBERNIAN-0762
10-08-2013, 08:58 AM
Far too many backhanders given to FIFA to play this here in my opinion, they obviously lavished them with everything they could to get the tournament played here as it makes no sense at all but the english of course bumping their gums on why they never got them makes it all seem quite sweet.

:wink:

CropleyWasGod
10-08-2013, 09:22 AM
Leaving aside the morality of the bidding process, all I am seeing here is Dyke's opinion that the WC will be moved. This, after having been in post 6 months. at an organisation that is p'd off that it didn't get a tournament it wanted.

Add to that, the EPL are "disappointed" in his comments.

No facts, just his opinion.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Keith_M
10-08-2013, 09:30 AM
This was always going to happen. It shows how ludicrous awarding them the tournament was in the first place.

LancsHibs
10-08-2013, 09:31 AM
This is a disgrace, european countries should boycott :grr:

Kojock
10-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Great news, gives us something to moan about for the next NINE years....:agree:

HFC 0-7
10-08-2013, 09:45 AM
I couldn't care less. International Fitba has been slowly losing its appeal for years. Where we used to talk about Brazil and the great Dutch sides as being the best teams on the planet we now reference club sides such as Barcelona. The clubs themselves are becoming much less willing to see their valuable assets risk injury in what to them is a sideshow. The clubs would be mad not to use this situation to push for the right to say no to international call ups.

Think in this country it certainly is the case but other countries haven't lost their appeal to their supporters. It's probably because our countries football has been on the decline for years and that we haven't been to a major competition in ages that's the problem.

NOLA
10-08-2013, 10:12 AM
The african nations cup is played in winter, players head off to play in that while the domestic leagues keep on playing, I don't think its too much of an issue anyway seeing as scotland won't qualify for it regardless.

down-the-slope
10-08-2013, 10:14 AM
I think folks are missing the big story in this as far as i'm concerned...

Its a FIFA v UEFA clash of the world amin gravy trains...

FIFA know that the Champions league is now the biggest show in world football (fact its EVERY year and not just every 4 as well) and has hoovered up masses of sponsorship and TV and now players are more interested in playing in it than for their countries...

This is part of FIFA trying to out muscle / outmaneuver UEFA by cutting across their competition...

The amounts of money involved in this are astronomical - look at how suddenly Qatar 'companies' are buying into EPL...

Technofob
10-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Think in this country it certainly is the case but other countries haven't lost their appeal to their supporters. It's probably because our countries football has been on the decline for years and that we haven't been to a major competition in ages that's the problem.

Correct - they could hold it on the moon in April the tartan army wouldn't have to worry about it. F###king boo indeed.

marinello59
10-08-2013, 11:20 AM

That's certainly part of the problem in this country. I don't think it's the whole story though, the rise and rise of the Champions League means we get to see the best players in the World in regular competition much more often.

Treadstone
10-08-2013, 11:30 AM
I think folks are missing the big story in this as far as i'm concerned...

Its a FIFA v UEFA clash of the world amin gravy trains...

FIFA know that the Champions league is now the biggest show in world football (fact its EVERY year and not just every 4 as well) and has hoovered up masses of sponsorship and TV and now players are more interested in playing in it than for their countries...

This is part of FIFA trying to out muscle / outmaneuver UEFA by cutting across their competition...

The amounts of money involved in this are astronomical - look at how suddenly Qatar 'companies' are buying into EPL...

Don't really see that. UEFA competitions take a break from early December to late February. Don't really see it as cutting across their competition. World cup never struggles for obscene sponsorship deals.

Keith_M
10-08-2013, 11:37 AM
OK, I take back my earlier complaint.

On reflection, Scotland are highly unlikely to qualify anyway, barring a sudden and massive influx of Brazilian refugees in the next few years, all assuming Scottish identity .

Miguel
10-08-2013, 06:39 PM
Not sure about Champions League being top football event. Depends on what criteria you use. In riches, maybe: in football ability, no. Think you'll find south American clubs have been superior to their European rivals in Club World Cup and predecessors.

Wee Scottie Dug
10-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Leaving aside the morality of the bidding process, all I am seeing here is Dyke's opinion that the WC will be moved. This, after having been in post 6 months. at an organisation that is p'd off that it didn't get a tournament it wanted.

Add to that, the EPL are "disappointed" in his comments.

No facts, just his opinion.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Not sure it is just his opinion, blatter announced in July that he was recommending this shift to 'his' committee to be discussed and approved at the October 2013 scheduled meeting. IMHO it's just a European objection that is likely and the English FA leading that objection - of course what they forget is the Southern Hemisphere associations have to deal with this every four years as June/July is part of their normal season, whereas FIFA will be asking the European associations to reorganise just the once and giving them 7 years notice to do so. Who knows they might even like it and stay with a winter break!

DH1875
10-08-2013, 08:14 PM
What's all the complaints about? Thought we were in favour of summer football? I mean, it's not as if we're even going to qualify for it :confused:.

Glory Lurker
09-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Oh my.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24884666

Jack
09-11-2013, 09:21 PM
If they are not going to bite the bullet, for the good of the game, then they need to shut the **** up and let it slip under the radar and pretend it never happened.

Too many suitcases of used notes have already changed hands.

nonshinyfinish
09-11-2013, 09:23 PM
This shameless f***-up of a World Cup is going to continue making FIFA look like utter fannies for quite some time.