PDA

View Full Version : Cowards

Cameron1875
09-11-2013, 08:49 PM
That was a disgusting performance from certain players today. After the 2nd goal went in the amount of times a Hibs player ran into an area so they wouldn't recieve the ball was incredible! They would rather just hide behind the man and hope someone else takes responsibility.

At one stage Thomson had the ball at half way line and had to pass it to the left back because no one in midfield or attack wanted the ball! Jimmy nic got the Taiwo substitution spot on, that boy is an absolute coward IMO.
He'll never ask for the ball or put in a challenge. Think he took one look at Foran and thought he didn't fancy it today.
Stevenson was guilty of it as well, just hanging around on left side hoping no one will notice him.

Sorry if this seems like a rant but I can handle us getting outplayed but to just roll over and not even bother winds me up.
If we had more players like Scott Robertson who actually seem to give a toss and take the ball on then we'd maybe stop suffering these limp 0-1, 0-2 defeats.

Anyway Butcher has a very tough job on his hands so good luck to him.

TheBruce
09-11-2013, 08:53 PM
That was a disgusting performance from certain players today. After the 2nd goal went in the amount of times a Hibs player ran into an area so they wouldn't recieve the ball was incredible! They would rather just hide behind the man and hope someone else takes responsibility.

At one stage Thomson had the ball at half way line and had to pass it to the left back because no one in midfield or attack wanted the ball! Jimmy nic got the Taiwo substitution spot on, that boy is an absolute coward IMO.
He'll never ask for the ball or put in a challenge. Think he took one look at Foran and thought he didn't fancy it today.
Stevenson was guilty of it as well, just hanging around on left side hoping no one will notice him.

Sorry if this seems like a rant but I can handle us getting outplayed but to just roll over and not even bother winds me up.
If we had more players like Scott Robertson who actually seem to give a toss and take the ball on then we'd maybe stop suffering these limp 0-1, 0-2 defeats.

Agree we need 10 more players with Robertsons heart

18/03/07
09-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Agree with you that some players did not want the ball, but stevenson in the 1st half wide out on the left was screaming for the ball,but kt an tt just ignored him

theonlywayisup
09-11-2013, 08:57 PM
That display today was a shocker. I can't believe how poor we are.

For too many seasons, the problem has been clear to all. No pace. No creativity. No width. No leaders on the pitch. Too many cowards. I really hopes the TH can change things.

Hibeesforever
09-11-2013, 08:59 PM

Totally agree. Reason why team always seems to go sideways and not forward. Only Robertson and Thomson turn their bodies correctly with confidence to go forward.

Riwan Vine, enough said. To see a player like that with zero left foot playing left wing and hiding, just summed up how far behind being an exciting team to watch we are.

Still think there are enough positives for the new manager to work with but without additional financial resources, it could be a long wait.

brianmc
09-11-2013, 09:04 PM
OP is absolutely spot on. I said to my bairn (14!) at today's game "if pointing won you games we'd be top of the league" . The number of times a player had the ball, with an easy pass available, only to look up and find his teammate was pointing at A.N.Other and saying ffs pass to him-I really, really don't want it!! ..... was frightening.
*disclaimer:I know we're not FC Barcelona BUT is it too much to ask of a "professional"football player to actually DEMAND the ball rather than hide behind the opposition player whilst simultaneously pointing for the pass to go elsewhere??
I'd say it's not too much to ask for-with a bit of luck TB agrees.

Greencore
09-11-2013, 09:10 PM
Agree we need 10 more players with Robertsons heart
Robertson was our best man today!

RIP Bestie
10-11-2013, 01:05 AM
Again!!

Bronson
10-11-2013, 01:16 AM

He's our best man nearly every week, really starting to come good.

Unfortunately, he's about the only positives we can take from recent weeks, big terry has his work cut out, good luck to him.

LioNeilMessi
10-11-2013, 01:25 AM
Totally agree. Reason why team always seems to go sideways and not forward. Only Robertson and Thomson turn their bodies correctly with confidence to go forward.

Riwan Vine, enough said. To see a player like that with zero left foot playing left wing and hiding, just summed up how far behind being an exciting team to watch we are.

Still think there are enough positives for the new manager to work with but without additional financial resources, it could be a long wait.

Agree with a lot of that but I thought Vine offered more than most Hibs players on the pitch today. Not great but you can't accuse him of hiding on the left wing when he delivered a good cross from the right wing, and he picked the ball up in our half a few times and got forward.

Robertson though has a brilliant attitude and seems to be the only player who's head doesn't go down easy. A nice touch is that he's always the last one off the pitch, acknowledging the fans' disappointment, after a shambles e.g. Malmo, Hearts and today (and more probably :rolleyes:).

Borderhibbie76
10-11-2013, 02:40 AM
Thomson does my head in...slows play down constantly and gives away needless fouls all over the pitch! Dont mean to single him out as all bar Robbo were poor today but he should be leading by example!

cabbageandribs1875
10-11-2013, 02:47 AM
i did notice on a few occasions some plyers getting rather angry at other ones not 'reading' the game like they do

hibbymick
10-11-2013, 07:55 AM
i did notice on a few occasions some plyers getting rather angry at other ones not 'reading' the game like they do

The talk after the game yesterday in behind the goals was Hibs players were scrapping with each other going up the tunnel.

Danderhall Hibs
10-11-2013, 08:07 AM
Vine wasn't hiding - that's just folk having made their mind up on him already making him sound worse.

Was also disappointed to see Heffernan making a gesture after a poor touch which had the intention of making the crowd think it was Collins' fault - poor show.

Pretty Boy
10-11-2013, 08:12 AM
The talk after the game yesterday in behind the goals was Hibs players were scrapping with each other going up the tunnel.

No idea about this but Thomson and Hanlon went absolutely mental at Collins after the penalty incident.

Don't blame them either. Yesterday was like a carbon copy of last week. We looked ok early doors, lost a silly goal, heads went down, safe option became the only option, game over.

Brightside
10-11-2013, 08:24 AM

rubbish. He may as well not been there second half. invisible. like the rest of midfield. I only knew KT was playing due to his constant crying to the ref. Im about to go an watch an under 9 team play. Every single one of them will want the ball. Hibs were a disgrace yesterday and i'd dock them all a weeks pay.

Brightside
10-11-2013, 08:25 AM
No idea about this but Thomson and Hanlon went absolutely mental at Collins after the penalty incident.

Don't blame them either. Yesterday was like a carbon copy of last week. We looked ok early doors, lost a silly goal, heads went down, safe option became the only option, game over.

Collins is not a liked man at the moment. KT shouted to the bench to get him launched during the game.

adhibs
10-11-2013, 08:33 AM
Collins is not a liked man at the moment. KT shouted to the bench to get him launched during the game.

Realy dont need that, especially from a player living off a past reputation. Hope hes punted and claros is back in the summer

Hibby 2005
10-11-2013, 08:54 AM

I never noticed that but if it's true it's rather ironic as Hanlon makes mistakes every week and Thomson refuses to show leadership at a time when we badly need leaders.

At least Collins never hid away.

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-11-2013, 08:55 AM
OP is almost 100% correct other than describing yesterday as a limp defeat. From start to finish it was a comprehensive list of everything that we have not got, condensed into a 90 minute lesson.

Allant1981
10-11-2013, 08:59 AM
I agree the last couple of weeks have been crap but football fans are so fickle, when we were on that wee unbeaten run everyone was raving about KT and now he is living off a past reputation. If you were playing with some of the crap he is every week then your game would be rubbish also. Agree with robertson though. Guy is turning out to be pretty good

edinburghhibee
10-11-2013, 09:00 AM
I never noticed that but if it's true it's rather ironic as Hanlon makes mistakes every week and Thomson refuses to show leadership at a time when we badly need leaders.

At least Collins never hid away.

Spot on by the way Hanlon was rank rotten yesterday and not for the first time in the past few weeks can't remember him winning a single ball in the air and at one point ICT were running through 3v3 and he left his man to chase the ball leaving the attacker free to be slotted threw only for maybury to hit the post. When Nelson returns Hanlon should be dropped and give Forster a shot with Nelson in the centre.

hibbymick
10-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Spot on by the way Hanlon was rank rotten yesterday and not for the first time in the past few weeks can't remember him winning a single ball in the air and at one point ICT were running through 3v3 and he left his man to chase the ball leaving the attacker free to be slotted threw only for maybury to hit the post. When neilson returns Hanlon should be dropped and give Forster a shot with neilson in the centre.

Robbie ?

edinburghhibee
10-11-2013, 09:10 AM
Robbie ?

No be any worse than Hanlon, but no productive text on the phone to blame for that

hibee_girl
10-11-2013, 09:44 AM

:agree: Stevenson had a wee foot stomp tantrum when he was forced into passing the ball backwards once again as not one of his team mates was bothered about moving into a good position for him.

Danderhall Hibs
10-11-2013, 09:53 AM
:agree: Stevenson had a wee foot stomp tantrum when he was forced into passing the ball backwards once again as not one of his team mates was bothered about moving into a good position for him.

Too many with public shows of dissatisfaction - almost as if they're trying to show us that "it's not my fault - look it's his". That's Thomson, Stevenson, Hanlon and heffernan all named in her as having done it.

woodythehibee
10-11-2013, 09:55 AM

Vine hiding? Were you at the same match?

He offered width and stayed out on the touchline in plenty space screaming for the ball. Nobody had the bottle to switch the play though incase it was misplaced and the potential crowd reaction. Vine didn't do much wrong today but folk have already made up their minds and look for the negatives.

hibsbollah
10-11-2013, 09:59 AM
Too many with public shows of dissatisfaction - almost as if they're trying to show us that "it's not my fault - look it's his". That's Thomson, Stevenson, Hanlon and heffernan all named in her as having done it.

Collins was having regular wee strops with Stevenson, usually after Collins had just miscontrolled a simple pass. He needs to concentrate on doing his own job better before screaming at his teammates.

On the other hand, I never noticed anyone clapping, encouraging, or urging each other on yesterday.

Pretty Boy
10-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Collins was having regular wee strops with Stevenson, usually after Collins had just miscontrolled a simple pass. He needs to concentrate on doing his own job better before screaming at his teammates.

On the other hand, I never noticed anyone clapping, encouraging, or urging each other on yesterday.

I commented on the match day thread about the lack of anyone trying to raise the team after the goal.

We had 2 players have a go at the culprit and that was it. We seem to really lack a leader on and off the park and seem to lack any team spirit.

Maybe time for the club captain to say a few harsh words to his teammates. He was well praised for galvanising us a couple of seasons back so perhaps it's time to do it again regardless of whether he is pissed off with the fans, about not playing etc

hibee
10-11-2013, 10:13 AM

Didn't see that but it's disgraceful coming from KT, he offers nothing and spends most of his time and energy moaning and trying to get sent off. Agree with a few of the other comments about Vine, he was nowhere near as bad as some people have said and put in a lot of effort.

I still think we can be a decent passing team with the squad we have, wish our own fans would stop booing every bad pass though, it doesn't benefit the team and is the main reason half of them are scared to take the ball and try something.

Pedantic_Hibee
10-11-2013, 10:16 AM
I'm gonna have to get my boots back on I think. I used to sink a couple of nips before a game to fire me up.

My disciplinary record would be outrageous but I'd show half that team how to put a foot in. Impostors.

JPrinty
10-11-2013, 10:20 AM

I'm sorry but Stevenson's first thought every time the ball came to him was who can I pass this backwards to. He didn't even look up the majority of times!

Poor player with no ability or desire to move the ball forward or to try beat a man.

hibsbollah
10-11-2013, 10:24 AM
I commented on the match day thread about the lack of anyone trying to raise the team after the goal.

We had 2 players have a go at the culprit and that was it. We seem to really lack a leader on and off the park and seem to lack any team spirit.

Maybe time for the club captain to say a few harsh words to his teammates. He was well praised for galvanising us a couple of seasons back so perhaps it's time to do it again regardless of whether he is pissed off with the fans, about not playing etc

:agree: McPake has had a verbal kicking this season since his injury, culminating in the disgraceful twitter stuff, but we've missed his leadership on the park IMO. I have no way of knowing what influence a player has in the dressing room (ive met McPake, talked to him for 5 mins and he seems a good guy and a determined commited type but that doesnt really qualify me as a judge of his character
, I know) but from the stands they dont look like players that respect each other. Thomson and Collins in particular need to sort out their body language. Robertson is PLAYING ike our captain but is he a leader? No way of knowing.

O'Rourke3
10-11-2013, 10:25 AM
I'm sorry but Stevenson's first thought every time the ball came to him was who can I pass this backwards to. He didn't even look up the majority of times!

Poor player with no ability or desire to move the ball forward or to try beat a man.

Left mid was where I played. I needed one of the two forwards to take a central defender and full back wide, have the other drop looking for the ball and also expect centre mids to go into the space created by movement up front. There's also an overlapping full back. Given little of the above was happening in front I think he had little choice but to keep the ball. Heffernan and Collins were making the same run constantly making it really easy to defend against.

JPrinty
10-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Left mid was where I played. I needed one of the two forwards to take a central defender and full back wide, have the other drop looking for the ball and also expect centre mids to go into the space created by movement up front. There's also an overlapping full back. Given little of the above was happening in front I think he had little choice but to keep the ball. Heffernan and Collins were making the same run constantly making it really easy to defend against.

Surely the first thought of someone playing in that position is to look up and try and beat his man and get to the byeline? Stevenson on many occasions yesterday played the ball back before even looking to see what was available to him.

NAE NOOKIE
10-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Overall we were devoid of ideas pace and movement. I once heard a quote from a Liverpool player saying that Bill Shankly used to say to the players " if you are still standing in the same place two seconds after playing the ball I'll kick your arse. A lesson a lot of our players need to learn.

Football is all about pace and movement and if you dont have that you wont win. That yesterday was a poor effort at getting back into a game and its getting really tiresome watching opposition keepers leaving the pitch at ER without having had a shot to save. How many times this season has that happened?

I agree with a few on here about Vine .... he tried really hard yesterday and cant be faulted for effort, even if he wasnt very effective.

I'm beginning to feel sorry for TB already if he is goingto be our new manager, coz for the life of me I cant see how he can turn this lot into an effective unit before the end of the season. If I was him I would be completely honest and say that his job is to keep us out of the play off spot and that next season is his goal for showing a proper improvement.

Any team with 9 goals to show for 10 games is heading for disaster at a rate of knots IMO. Even the Yams have done better than that.

With 10 minutes to go yesterday I was looking at my watch wishing the game was over :bitchy:

rcarter1
10-11-2013, 10:56 AM

Harsh. Ive watched Stevenson bust a gut to get down the line, win a corner etc. Yesterday the whole team were flat. If the other players put in the effort each week that Stevenson does most weeks we would be a hell of lot better. Stevenson may not have the best attributes to compete at this level, but his effort is not in question.

rcarter1
10-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Overall we were devoid of ideas pace and movement. I once heard a quote from a Liverpool player saying that Bill Shankly used to say to the players " if you are still standing in the same place two seconds after playing the ball I'll kick your arse. A lesson a lot of our players need to learn.

Football is all about pace and movement and if you dont have that you wont win. That yesterday was a poor effort at getting back into a game and its getting really tiresome watching opposition keepers leaving the pitch at ER without having had a shot to save. How many times this season has that happened?

I agree with a few on here about Vine .... he tried really hard yesterday and cant be faulted for effort, even if he wasnt very effective.

I'm beginning to feel sorry for TB already if he is goingto be our new manager, coz for the life of me I cant see how he can turn this lot into an effective unit before the end of the season. If I was him I would be completely honest and say that his job is to keep us out of the play off spot and that next season is his goal for showing a proper improvement.

Any team with 9 goals to show for 10 games is heading for disaster at a rate of knots IMO. Even the Yams have done better than that.

With 10 minutes to go yesterday I was looking at my watch wishing the game was over :bitchy:

This is so typical of us the last few years. When Fenlon did his clear out a year ago, I thought this would improve. Utterly depressing watching statues.

Heedersnvolleys
10-11-2013, 11:00 AM
What really got me about yesterday the players must know TB was in the stand and to put a performance in like that when your future employment is riding in it was unbelievable! Call me old fashioned but I think if my new boss was watching me I think I may have been trying a bit harder? It may not be effort right enough just ability.

I know money wise it is not a problem for them as if TB does not rate them they will just sit in the stand collecting there wages but surely a bit pride comes into it and they want to show him how good they are.:confused:

cabbageandribs1875
10-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Vine wasn't hiding - that's just folk having made their mind up on him already making him sound worse.

Was also disappointed to see Heffernan making a gesture after a poor touch which had the intention of making the crowd think it was Collins' fault - poor show.

yeah i remember that one now...a bit fly :agree:

Spot on by the way Hanlon was rank rotten yesterday and not for the first time in the past few weeks can't remember him winning a single ball in the air and at one point ICT were running through 3v3 and he left his man to chase the ball leaving the attacker free to be slotted threw only for maybury to hit the post. When Nelson returns Hanlon should be dropped and give Forster a shot with Nelson in the centre.

imo paul needs to stop just booting the ball up the park just for the sake of it...finding a player with a green jersey on would be nice once in a while

didn't see that one :greengrin, but i've already stated what i thought of the wee mans distribution yesterday :(

i think i must be one of the few who thought KT(not my fav person after thomsongate :wink:) was one of the few that showed any commitment, a few misplaced passes but at least he was getting 'stuck in', he really needs to shut it after the referee/linesman has made a decision...remonstrating with the officials will not change the decision...but it WILL bring a yellow card

SouthamptonHibs
10-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Hibs are brutal thankfully I don't have tovwatch us again until 21st Dec. Our football is slow and boring. On a positive note my pizza slice was tremendous

monktonharp
10-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Robertson was our best man today!a team of robertsons and we'd win the league

gillythehibby
10-11-2013, 02:27 PM
a team of robertsons and we'd win the league

Aye? Have you seen Robertson's efforts on goal? His general play is good and deffo one of our better players, but his final ball in or shot on goal is murder. Is all very well having a player working hard and running about all day, but it's quality and decision making that make the difference. I think Scott and KT need better players around them to show there best.

Franck Stanton
10-11-2013, 03:48 PM

Problem we have is you could replace "Stevenson's" name with ANY/all of the imposters that were on show yesterday [with exception of Robertson}.

Viva_Palmeiras
10-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Aye? Have you seen Robertson's efforts on goal? His general play is good and deffo one of our better players, but his final ball in or shot on goal is murder. Is all very well having a player working hard and running about all day, but it's quality and decision making that make the difference. I think Scott and KT need better players around them to show there best.

According the bible that is wiki ;) He's already got 2 goals from 15 games. His career averages about 1 every 10 games. So it's not like he's gone backwards with Hibs.

Danderhall Hibs
10-11-2013, 04:48 PM

I watched him in the warmup - his finishing was excellent. As soon as the match starts he stops shooting.

Zazu62
10-11-2013, 06:13 PM

Adds absolutely nothing to the team he doesn't know how to attack when he has the ball just gets the ball passes it backwards . Has he ever had a shot on goal in his hibs career?

Itsnoteasy
10-11-2013, 07:08 PM
:agree: McPake has had a verbal kicking this season since his injury, culminating in the disgraceful twitter stuff, but we've missed his leadership on the park IMO. I have no way of knowing what influence a player has in the dressing room (ive met McPake, talked to him for 5 mins and he seems a good guy and a determined commited type but that doesnt really qualify me as a judge of his character
, I know) but from the stands they dont look like players that respect each other. Thomson and Collins in particular need to sort out their body language. Robertson is PLAYING ike our captain but is he a leader? No way of knowing.

How can mcpake say anything his performance against hertz was shocking. Never a captain IMO. Mcpake was only good when on loan and playing for a contract

Jonnyboy
10-11-2013, 10:33 PM

I hate to disagree but knowing Lewis would be under the microscope again I made a point of keeping tally of his passes. Of the first ten, seven were forward passes, one was sideways and two were back.

Let's not let facts get in the way though :rolleyes:

hibsbollah
10-11-2013, 10:36 PM
I hate to disagree but knowing Lewis would be under the microscope again I made a point of keeping tally of his passes. Of the first ten, seven were forward passes, one was sideways and two were back.

Nice spot Jonny :aok:

Danderhall Hibs
11-11-2013, 06:53 AM

Incredible stats - I always feel like he nudges it inside/backwards when he gets it as well.

Gettin' Auld
11-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Most of the problems are down to a lack of confidence...........

Not many players even want the ball, so there's no real movement. Whoever has the ball has few options and just gets closed down by the opposition. Leaving him having to get rid off it pronto or lose it = Pass it backwards or Punt it.

Few if any attempts on goal = If i don't try i can't miss.

Worst team in the world at taking throw ins = I'm not moving into space coz i don't want the ****in' ball. There's a time limit on taking a throw in though, so he just throws it down the line and hopes for the best.

If we get the first goal = Confidence grows a bit.

Lose the first goal = What little confidence they had when they ran onto the pitch drops off the radar.

Who's to blame for them being low on confidence? It's easy to blame the supporters who'll let their feeling be known at times, but i don't think we're more critical than any other fans. Especially when you consider how many seasons we've had to put up with dire football.

Hopefully Butcher (if he's the new gaffer) can turn that around.

JimBHibees
11-11-2013, 01:06 PM
How can mcpake say anything his performance against hertz was shocking. Never a captain IMO. Mcpake was only good when on loan and playing for a contract

Actually thought he played ok in that game until the stupid tackle. He has struggled recently however to say he is never a captain is nonsense as he has more than proved in the past he can do it.

Ritchie
11-11-2013, 01:10 PM

He offered width and stayed out on the touchline in plenty space screaming for the ball. Nobody had the bottle to switch the play though incase it was misplaced and the potential crowd reaction. Vine didn't do much wrong today but folk have already made up their minds and look for the negatives.

100% correct!!!

EastCalderHibby
11-11-2013, 06:29 PM
Thomson does my head in...slows play down constantly and gives away needless fouls all over the pitch! Dont mean to single him out as all bar Robbo were poor today but he should be leading by example!

leading by example you having a laugh most of the game he was right back in line with hanlon i thought he was playing ch
agree with you he slows play so much that we are pedestrian going forward .no wonder we are not scoring much

EastCalderHibby
11-11-2013, 06:38 PM

agree not a fan of vine think he is gash but when he came on he at least wanted the ball and did better than most when he got it

s.a.m
11-11-2013, 06:56 PM
agree not a fan of vine think he is gash but when he came on he at least wanted the ball and did better than most when he got it

I thought so too. He was definitely up for it, and looking for the ball.

judas
11-11-2013, 08:14 PM

Agreed.

Possibly the worst player I have ever seen, that was lauded by so many fans.

Billy Whizz
11-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Agreed.

You certainly like controversy John

Jonnyboy
11-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Agreed.

:faf: