PDA

View Full Version : Is this Hibs' set up at corners? Interesting stuff from Pat Nevin

Hibbyradge
08-11-2013, 09:17 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24857012

fat freddy
08-11-2013, 09:24 AM
very interesting...does he do a class on 'how to take throw ins'?...if so, it should be made compulsory viewing at east mains

RCNG
08-11-2013, 09:30 AM
We should employ this man in some capacity. Would love to see him helping out.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-11-2013, 09:56 AM
"Break with pace" - a stumbling point at present...

i dont over-analyse but from memory I think we do tend to keep folks on the post ?

Billychaotic182
08-11-2013, 10:11 AM
As posted earlier I look forward to his how to take throw in's

hibby rae
08-11-2013, 10:15 AM

i dont over-analyse but from memory I think we do tend to keep folks on the post ?

I'd say we've been weak at set pieces in the past so it's not a bad idea to do so. We're not completely defensive though, I remember someone coming to Easter Road recently and having their entire team in the box during set pieces.

Hibbyradge
08-11-2013, 10:16 AM

50 seconds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gyrdznQI-4&list=PLAmNSUlUap5sNWgDy9_dL5HkD7mwHgEII

hibbytam
08-11-2013, 10:17 AM

I believe we don't. Atleast that's how we lost last week.

Alex Trager
08-11-2013, 10:20 AM
We've been atrocious at throw ins since as far back as mixu. As far back as I can remember paying attention to throw-ins Hibs have been poor from them. And it still continues. It is unbelievable.
How to have a throw in in the attacking third of your opponents half and lose a goal. Watch Hibs.

worcesterhibby
08-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Motherwell of course scored against us from a corner at the weekend. There were no players on the posts and no player in the "First man" position either. Everyone was either marking a player (badly in McGivern case) or standing doing nothing. Tom Taiwo was particularly at fault for this as he was stood inside the box 10 yards from anyone else doing absolutely nothing. I've watched that goal about 20 times since watching the Pat Nevin tutorial and it is a brilliant example of how NOT to defend a corner…completely avoidable with a bit of organisation and professionalism.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-11-2013, 10:58 AM
50 seconds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gyrdznQI-4&list=PLAmNSUlUap5sNWgDy9_dL5HkD7mwHgEII

Ah had watched the game on the Bt sport ap but lost connection around the time of the goal only to return to find us 1-0 down. Hadn't seen that - poor.

Hibs7
08-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Motherwell of course scored against us from a corner at the weekend. There were no players on the posts and no player in the "First man" position either. Everyone was either marking a player (badly in McGivern case) or standing doing nothing. Tom Taiwo was particularly at fault for this as he was stood inside the box 10 yards from anyone else doing absolutely nothing. I've watched that goal about 20 times since watching the Pat Nevin tutorial and it is a brilliant example of how NOT to defend a corner…completely avoidable with a bit of organisation and professionalism.

Exactly..very very poor defending and looked like nobody knew what to do, a cheap goal to lose !!!

CMcP
08-11-2013, 06:52 PM
One thing Fenlon really sorted out to be fair, McManus' goal was the first set peice i can remember the team conceding from for a long time.

Cameron1875
08-11-2013, 07:03 PM
That Mcmanus goal was an absolute shocker. No one on the posts and people just standing about clueless, hard to take losing a game like that :(

HibeesLA
08-11-2013, 08:49 PM

Looking at the replays, you had Lewis Stevenson and Scott Robertson marking 1 player near the front post. It could be argued that, using Pat Nevin's examples, Lewis Stevenson would take the 1st man position and backtrack into the front post area. If you look at the highlights above, the replay from around 1:10 into the video, and again from the angle at 1:24, I think you could see where Hibs could have employed something akin to the tactics suggested. Obviously, as you point out, Hibs either didn't do this intentionally, or did it very badly as it result in the goal. Hopefully something that can be worked on with the new Management team in place.

nonshinyfinish
08-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Taking the Motherwell example, obviously this strategy doesn't work if you don't do the 'other bit', i.e., marking players properly. The idea is to have more players available in to mark attackers and cover space. If your defenders are just going to let people run off them, then the best strategy would be the literal opposite: put everyone on the line.

The move away from having a player on each post grew out of statistical analysis - clubs' data guys found that although you will lose some avoidable goals by not having a player on the post, you prevent more goals overall by having extra bodies further out. Originally it was moving the player from the near post out to the corner of the six-yard box.

The idea of that guy then dropping back onto the post if the ball goes over his head is an interesting one, not something I'd noticed.