PDA

View Full Version : Question Butcher and youth?

TheFamous1875
07-11-2013, 12:47 PM
There's been a lot made of his ability (his scout's ability) to pick talent from nowhere for no fee and this being the basis of their success, but does he have any history of pushing for youth development, blooding homegrown youngsters and getting the best out of them?

This is a major factor for Hibs with the youth academy and it's argued that we should be churning them out like we did ten years ago on a regular basis.

Arguably, the players that have came through since have had their development suffer from the uncertainty of the first team's fortunes, and hopefully, with a good squad and a good manager at the helm, this won't be a problem anymore.

I just hope he understands how important youth is, and if we do have a successful team on the pitch, he would blood our youngsters for it and get the best out of the homegrown players.

Part/Time Supporter
07-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Inverness don't have much history for bringing through their own young players (not just under Butcher). Ross Co have probably done more of that out of the two teams up there, but it's not as easy to develop players in that area because of the relatively low populations and their geographic spread. eg one of the better players developed from that area in recent years is Mackay-Steven, who was with Ross Co until 16(?), when he went to Liverpool. He's from Thurso, which is 100 miles or 2 hours from Dingwall.

Butcher had a better history of young players with Motherwell (McFadden, Pearson), but that was kind of forced upon him and the club as a whole by their financial problems at that time.

cabbageandribs1875
07-11-2013, 01:02 PM
caley are top of the U20's league so someone somewhere must be doing quite a decent job

Andy74
07-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Is it getting less important?

Teams that have been succesful recently have just signed better players with a bit more experience or from lower leagues etc.

In the long run what do we want to bring our own players through for?

Craig_HFC
07-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Nick Ross came through the ranks at ICT while Butcher is/was there, as did Graeme Shinnie I think. They're two decent players that would improve Hibs.

I'm sure there are another couple but I can't remember their names.

Hibs have more scope than ICT to develop our own players though, just due to the difference in population in the surrounding areas, reputation etc.

Just_Jimmy
07-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Nick Ross came through the ranks at ICT while Butcher is/was there, as did Graeme Shinnie I think. They're two decent players that would improve Hibs.

I'm sure there are another couple but I can't remember their names.

Hibs have more scope than ICT to develop our own players though, just due to the difference in population in the surrounding areas, reputation etc.

Both were ex hun youth products i think.

Craig_HFC
07-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Both were ex hun youth products i think.

I knew Andrew Shinnie went to ICT from the ex-Huns but was certain that his brother came through at ICT because I thought they were from up there originally.

Wiki says that Nick Ross came through at ICT and that he is from Inverness though.

Brightside
07-11-2013, 01:59 PM
They are top of the u20s league despite having a poor catchment area. BUT its not Butcher who develops Youth, in the same way it wasnt Fenlon. Leave Youth development to the experts and keep the first team managers out of it.

TheFamous1875
07-11-2013, 02:03 PM
The whole point of youth development is to get young players into the first team. It's still part of their development when they're in the first team, and that's the point when the first team manager gets involved with the young players and nourishes them into top flight football.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

staunchhibby
09-11-2013, 06:58 AM
Just. Hoping that if and when Butcher arrives. That the likes of. Young Sam stanton and the other youngsters who were given the chance when Patrick Fenlon was in charge are given the same opportunities and not forgotten.:hibees

wills
09-11-2013, 07:44 AM
Will TB recall all players on loan including Callum Booth?

Winston Ingram
09-11-2013, 07:59 AM
Does he have a good record of bringing through young players?

SMAXXA
09-11-2013, 08:04 AM
Will TB recall all players on loan including Callum Booth?

No