PDA

View Full Version : Media Joe Harper - Sportsound Teamtalk

Carheenlea
06-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Listened to the Sportsound podcast from Tuesday night and they played a snippet from the latest team-talk featuring Joe Harper. Due to technical issues they were not able to play the feature as planned, but the full broadcast is now to be aired a week on Friday, and the segment they played was pretty much a vitriolic attack on Alex Ferguson, but it was interesting to note that he mentioned that the best manager he played under was Eddie Turnbull. For me, in the short clip that was aired he came across as a pretty unlikable and obnoxious character, someone who fancied himself as some kind of tough guy and maybe with too high an opinion of himself. Maybe unfair to judge him on the brief clip, but the full broadcast should certainly be interesting when aired and worth keeping an ear on.

Segment from 20:30 mins into podcast http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/scotland/scotfoot/scotfoot_20131105-1810a.mp3

Jonnyboy
06-11-2013, 11:40 PM
Listened to the Sportsound podcast from Tuesday night and they played a snippet from the latest team-talk featuring Joe Harper. Due to technical issues they were not able to play the feature as planned, but the full broadcast is now to be aired a week on Friday, and the segment they played was pretty much a vitriolic attack on Alex Ferguson, but it was interesting to note that he mentioned that the best manager he played under was Eddie Turnbull. For me, in the short clip that was aired he came across as a pretty unlikable and obnoxious character, someone who fancied himself as some kind of tough guy and maybe with too high an opinion of himself. Maybe unfair to judge him on the brief clip, but the full broadcast should certainly be interesting when aired and worth keeping an ear on.

Segment from 20:30 mins into podcast http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/scotland/scotfoot/scotfoot_20131105-1810a.mp3

That about sums him up. Doddie may wish to add his views :greengrin

MoscowHibs
07-11-2013, 08:24 AM

I remember me and a couple of mates went up to Aberdeen one Friday evening for an overnighter before the game next day, and ended up in his boozer in Union Street.Guy was a complete bellend, wi the I was too big for Hibs routine. He certainly was, the fat twat .Ended up getting chucked oot after giving him plenty of GIRFUY'S. Was delighted a few months later when his boozer went t1ts-up.Drank the profits apparently.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2013, 08:26 AM

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/hiding.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

BroxburnHibee
07-11-2013, 08:43 AM

Now you've done it :greengrin

Hiber-nation
07-11-2013, 08:53 AM
We hate Fat Joe
And we hate Fat Joe
Hate Fat Joe
And we hate Fat Joe
Hate Fat Joe
And we hate Fat Joe
We are the Fat Joe haters
Na na na na na na na na na na...

Or even:

Harper's a barrel
Harpers a barrel
O' sheidt sheidt sheidt...

blackpoolhibs
07-11-2013, 08:55 AM
We hate Fat Joe
And we hate Fat Joe
Hate Fat Joe
And we hate Fat Joe
Hate Fat Joe
And we hate Fat Joe
We are the Fat Joe haters
Na na na na na na na na na na....

Well we aint got a barrel of money
Joe harpers fat and he's funny
thick as a plank plays like a ****
Harpers sheite.

chrisski33
07-11-2013, 09:23 AM
He sounded bitter and an idiot! As op mentioned he obviously wanted to be the big hard man! Obviously jealous of how well ferguson did. Would love to hear what fergie thinks of harper.

blackpoolhibs
07-11-2013, 09:24 AM
He sounded bitter and an idiot! As op mentioned he obviously wanted to be the big hard man! Obviously jealous of how well ferguson did. Would love to hear what fergie thinks of harper.

I'm halfway through his book at the moment, no mention of the fat twat so far?

GloryGlory
07-11-2013, 09:26 AM

One of my funniest memories at ER came when Joe was a sub for Hibs. He was getting ready to come on and the crowd broke into a spontaneous rendition of "Roll out the barrel". :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
07-11-2013, 09:28 AM
One of my funniest memories at ER came when Joe was a sub for Hibs. He was getting ready to come on and the crowd broke into a spontaneous rendition of "Roll out the barrel". :greengrin

Harpers a barrel, harpers a barrel of sheite sheite sheite sheite.

Thats how i remember it, i'm sure we used to sing that when he went back to the dons?

Part/Time Supporter
07-11-2013, 09:31 AM
I'm halfway through his book at the moment, no mention of the fat twat so far?

The recent book is only from about 2000 to date.

He talked about Harper in his first book.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=kB90MC5oqi8C&pg=PT170&lpg=PT170&dq=joe+harper+alex+ferguson+managing+my+life&source=bl&ots=JOAuUa3ICe&sig=2sZV2QSRFcCowkPNrdGKWQ1Gbig&hl=en&sa=X&ei=b117UvDJGrOB7QbAqoCIBQ&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=joe%20harper%20alex%20ferguson%20managing%20my%2 0life&f=false

JimBHibees
07-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Heard the programme he came across as a complete clown. Trying to make out Ferguson was afraid of him and that he was the only one brave enough to speak out. No doubt Fergie saw his physical condition and was planning to get shot asap. Indicating that he still 'hated' Ferguson, dear oh dear and that Fergie was a 'lucky' manager when he won the Cup Winners cup. Absolutely laughable from the lardass.

As it happens I am currently reading a Ferguson book which is basically a diary of his season as manager of Man Utd the season when Cantona kicked the fan. Alot of interesting stuff however he does say in the book that Hibs tried to sign him when Bob Shankly was in charge. He told a story of the Hibs interest and that he had come through to meet him in his house in Edinburgh. While there the phone went and Bob was speaking to the person at the other end of the line. Unusually Bob put the phone down on a table still connected. Ferguson asked is there still someone on the line, Bob said, "Yes it is Bill he phones up and can go on and on for hours". During their conversation at a few different times Bob would pick up the phone and say "aye", then put it back down. Superb. :faf::faf::greengrin

Carheenlea
15-11-2013, 10:20 PM
The full programme was aired tonight, but no Hibs players featured in his team. He selected Eddie Turnbull for manager, but pretty much for his Aberdeen days, but strangely said he had never before even heard of Eddie Turnbull when he signed him from Morton, which seems odd for a player who started playing professionally in the early 60`s.
Nothing really much of note for Hibs fans in the broadcast other than talking himself up as a kind of not to be messed with hard man, but funnily enough not mentioning the time Eddie Turnbull sent him sprawling with a punch in his office at Pittodrie as recounted by Eddie on another Radio Scotland feature :take that

Half hour podcast link http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/scotfoot

Jonnyboy
15-11-2013, 10:22 PM
The full programme was aired tonight, but no Hibs players featured in his team. He selected Eddie Turnbull for manager, but pretty much for his Aberdeen days, but strangely said he had never before even heard of Eddie Turnbull when he signed him from Morton, which seems odd for a player who started playing professionally in the early 60`s.
Nothing really much of note for Hibs fans in the broadcast other than talking himself up as a kind of not to be messed with hard man, but funnily enough not mentioning the time Eddie Turnbull sent him sprawling with a punch in his office at Pittodrie as recounted by Eddie on another Radio Scotland feature :take that

Half hour podcast link http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/scotfoot

I said it earlier and I'll say it again. He came across as a bitter and twisted wee mouthpiece.

PS Doddie will back me on this one :greengrin

hibbybrian
15-11-2013, 10:44 PM
I said it earlier and I'll say it again. He came across as a bitter and twisted wee mouthpiece.

I doubt it J, Doddie doen't think so highly of him :greengrin

Jonnyboy
15-11-2013, 10:47 PM
I doubt it J, Doddie doen't think so highly of him :greengrin

:greengrin

bawheid
15-11-2013, 10:59 PM
Doddie? Your input is required...

Hibdan12
16-11-2013, 02:00 AM

For me Joe Harper was one of the most gifted natural finishers i have ever seen but he was the last player Hibs needed when we signed him.
He just didn't fit in with anyone from players to fans, he had an arogance where as the tornado's had style which he lacked in abundance even up to today.

tamig
16-11-2013, 09:15 AM
He came across as a really unlikeable character. Hated Sir Alex too.

--------
16-11-2013, 11:35 AM

Yup. :agree:

Should have been drowned at birth.

Lardass scored goals, OK, but too often those goals were irrelevant. Five in a game against FC Nijmegen - a friendly. Three in a League Cup Final against Celtic - the last two scored after we were already 6-1 down and the game was over. Two in a Drybrough Cup semi against Rangers - scored in the dying minutes when we were already 3-0 down.

Jim O'Rourke didn't score as many goals over his whole career as the Lardass, but whjen he did, they tended to be important, like the winner in the 72 Final, or his hat tricks in the home legs of successive rounds in the Cup-Winners in 1973. Not many players have done that, by the way, and not when one of the teams concerned was as good as Sporting were. They were a class act, and Jimmy's goals that night were decisive.

Watching the Tornadoes it was obvious that they enjoyed playing football together, They were a band of brothers, a real team. That was their strength, and I don't think Turnbull ever appreciated that. When he brought in the Lardass to "improve the team" he destroyed that team spirit. Harper was a disruption. He had a hugely inflated opinion of himself (about as inflated as his waistline, IMO). He was totally and exclusively about himself and nobody else, and the truth is that he wasn't that good at that time in his career. He never was as good as he or Turnbull thought he was.

He wouldn't work for the team - "tracking back" didn't compute in what passed for the Lardass's brain matter.

He wouldn't go in where it hurt - he was a coward who hid from the ball when the going got tough. This was in total contrast to both Alan Gordon and Jimmy O'Rourke, two forwards with hearts like lions' who fed off one another and worked together as well as any partnership I can remember. Harper and Higgins? Well at least big Tony was an honest lad who did an honest shift.

Lardass was worse than a man short.

A story I heard at the time concerned a team Christmas party where Lardass started pestering John Blackley's fiancee. He was, according to the story, being both obnoxious and offensive, and he wouldn't take a telling. Sloop eventually lost patience and decked him. Turnbull, I was told, took Harper's side.

I would very much appreciate a confirmation or disproof of this; it's no more than a story I heard, but it was current on the terracings and believed by many. It also fits in perfectly with what I know about Lardass's character. If it's true, I would very much like to buy Sloop a BIG drink, late in the day as it is, and maybe set up a rematch with myself as referee?

The Lardass transfer is in my opinion sufficient reason to call into question Turnbull's status as manager of Hibs. Turnbull fell out with Alan Gordon because Alan wouldn't go full-time and this led Turnbull to question his commitment and fitness.

So he replaces him with the fattest, most unfit, most cowardly bag of excrement I've ever seen in a Hibs jersey?

I'll say one thing for Petrie - he'd NEVER have sanctioned spending all that money on a hundredweight and a half of domestic effluent.

RIP Bestie
16-11-2013, 01:55 PM

Lardass scored goals, OK, but too often those goals were irrelevant. Five in a game against FC Nijmegen - a friendly. Three in a League Cup Final against Celtic - the last two scored after we were already 6-1 down and the game was over. Two in a Drybrough Cup semi against Rangers - scored in the dying minutes when we were already 3-0 down.

Jim O'Rourke didn't score as many goals over his whole career as the Lardass, but whjen he did, they tended to be important, like the winner in the 72 Final, or his hat tricks in the home legs of successive rounds in the Cup-Winners in 1973. Not many players have done that, by the way, and not when one of the teams concerned was as good as Sporting were. They were a class act, and Jimmy's goals that night were decisive.

Watching the Tornadoes it was obvious that they enjoyed playing football together, They were a band of brothers, a real team. That was their strength, and I don't think Turnbull ever appreciated that. When he brought in the Lardass to "improve the team" he destroyed that team spirit. Harper was a disruption. He had a hugely inflated opinion of himself (about as inflated as his waistline, IMO). He was totally and exclusively about himself and nobody else, and the truth is that he wasn't that good at that time in his career. He never was as good as he or Turnbull thought he was.

He wouldn't work for the team - "tracking back" didn't compute in what passed for the Lardass's brain matter.

He wouldn't go in where it hurt - he was a coward who hid from the ball when the going got tough. This was in total contrast to both Alan Gordon and Jimmy O'Rourke, two forwards with hearts like lions' who fed off one another and worked together as well as any partnership I can remember. Harper and Higgins? Well at least big Tony was an honest lad who did an honest shift.

A story I heard at the time concerned a team Christmas party where Lardass started pestering John Blackley's fiancee. He was, according to the story, being both obnoxious and offensive, and he wouldn't take a telling. Sloop eventually lost patience and decked him. Turnbull, I was told, took Harper's side.

I would very much appreciate a confirmation or disproof of this; it's no more than a story I heard, but it was current on the terracings and believed by many. It also fits in perfectly with what I know about Lardass's character. If it's true, I would very much like to buy Sloop a BIG drink, late in the day as it is, and maybe set up a rematch with myself as referee?

The Lardass transfer is in my opinion sufficient reason to call into question Turnbull's status as manager of Hibs. Turnbull fell out with Alan Gordon because Alan wouldn't go full-time and this led Turnbull to question his commitment and fitness.

So he replaces him with the fattest, most unfit, most cowardly bag of excrement I've ever seen in a Hibs jersey?

I'll say one thing for Petrie - he'd NEVER have sanctioned spending all that money on a hundredweight and a half of domestic effluent.
Bollox

WindyMiller
16-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Bollox

Which part(s)?

I remember Harper, the player, and can't argue with Doddie.

PeeJay
16-11-2013, 02:16 PM

He was fit enough to score goals for us - as to the three against Celtic: how many "less fat and fitter" players do that then? How can Hibs fans boo off a Hibs player that scores 5 goals for us? His job was to score goals - and he also scored the goal that beat the mighty Liverpool FC! a team used to losing goals to fat and unfit players no doubt ...

I never normally win anything in competitions, but with Hibs TV I won the book "King Joey" (could it be I won because no-one esle wanted it?)- anyway, it was a decent read; he was clearly an Aberdeen man, but one thing in his book did come over very strongly, his huge disappointment that the wonderful players in Turnbull's team - they guys that convinced him to come to Easter Road in the first place were all sold off to compensate for the money Hibs had to pay for him ... it wasn't his fault that Turnbull's team was disbanded - why does he get so much of the blame for it? He wanted to be part of that team, not come to ER and watch them all leave it ... When he was a Hibs player, I was a fan of his. I feel it's a pity he didn't get the chance to play with the TTs as he had wanted to ...

RIP Bestie
16-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Which part(s)?

I remember Harper, the player, and can't argue with Doddie.
:a bite: :a bite: :hahaha:

WindyMiller
16-11-2013, 02:21 PM
:a bite: :a bite: :hahaha:

:rolleyes:

RIP Bestie
16-11-2013, 02:25 PM
:rolleyes:
Sorry, didn't think I'd get anyone with that one!! :wink:

--------
16-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Bollox

Ah, a reasoned and rational debater, right? :rolleyes:

Fact - Lardass was grossly unfit when he arrived at ER, and did little if anything while he was here to remedy that situation.

Alec Ferguson makes that clear in the autobiography PTS referred to - Lardass went from us to Aberdeen, and Ferguson neither trusted him nor particularly valued him as a player. He makes it clear that his team first began to gel when Lardass ("unathletic" is the adjective AF applies to the wee turd) was injured and Ferguson was able to bring Strachan in with McGhee and Archibald as his strikers.

So if I have to choose between the opinion of Alec Ferguson and YOURS, it may be a very close call, but I'm kinda disposed to believe Fergie rather than you.

:devil:

--------
16-11-2013, 02:49 PM
He was fit enough to score goals for us - as to the three against Celtic: how many "less fat and fitter" players do that then? How can Hibs fans boo off a Hibs player that scores 5 goals for us? His job was to score goals - and he also scored the goal that beat the mighty Liverpool FC! a team used to losing goals to fat and unfit players no doubt ...

I never normally win anything in competitions, but with Hibs TV I won the book "King Joey" (could it be I won because no-one esle wanted it?)- anyway, it was a decent read; he was clearly an Aberdeen man, but one thing in his book did come over very strongly, his huge disappointment that the wonderful players in Turnbull's team - they guys that convinced him to come to Easter Road in the first place were all sold off to compensate for the money Hibs had to pay for him ... it wasn't his fault that Turnbull's team was disbanded - why does he get so much of the blame for it? He wanted to be part of that team, not come to ER and watch them all leave it ... When he was a Hibs player, I was a fan of his. I feel it's a pity he didn't get the chance to play with the TTs as he had wanted to ...

Check out my edited post - I think I've answered you there.

There was never any doubt about his ability, but his application and his effect on the dressingroom and team was disastrous.

Jim O'Rourke only scored one against Celtic in a League Cup Final, but that one won us the trophy - it wasn't a poor consolation after he'd spent most of the rest of the game hiding from the ball.

If I had to choose between Seamus and Lardass to play for me in a life-or-death game, I'd never choose Lardass, not in a million years.

RIP Bestie
16-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Ah, a reasoned and rational debater, right? :rolleyes:

Fact - Lardass was grossly unfit when he arrived at ER, and did little if anything while he was here to remedy that situation.

Alec Ferguson makes that clear in the autobiography PTS referred to - Lardass went from us to Aberdeen, and Ferguson neither trusted him nor particularly valued him as a player. He makes it clear that his team first began to gel when Lardass ("unathletic" is the adjective AF applies to the wee turd) was injured and Ferguson was able to bring Strachan in with McGhee and Archibald as his strikers.

So if I have to choose between the opinion of Alec Ferguson and YOURS, it may be a very close call, but I'm kinda disposed to believe Fergie rather than you.

:devil:
:a bite: Two? That's incredible

PeeJay
16-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Check out my edited post - I think I've answered you there.

There was never any doubt about his ability, but his application and his effect on the dressingroom and team was disastrous.

Jim O'Rourke only scored one against Celtic in a League Cup Final, but that one won us the trophy - it wasn't a poor consolation after he'd spent most of the rest of the game hiding from the ball.

If I had to choose between Seamus and Lardass to play for me in a life-or-death game, I'd never choose Lardass, not in a million years.

Sure, but the point I was making was JH wanted to play with Turnbull's great team and he was robbed of the opportunity and - it seems to me - that he has been made the scapegoat, as if it was all his fault - mistakes were made elsewhere - he did his job, scoring goals. He would (perhaps) have scored even more and more important goals if Turnbull hadn't prematurely broken up the team Harper wanted to play for ... I'm not Harper's greatest fan, but I do feel some of the ire directed his way is unfair -

... I do have a sneaking suspicion however, that you are not going to change your mind: greengrin

.Sean.
16-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Interesting thread. Coincidentally I watched the TT DVD last night and Harper didn't come across well at all, very bitter.

clerriehibs
16-11-2013, 04:26 PM

Whatever he was, 'tough guy' he most certainly wasn't.

lord bunberry
16-11-2013, 04:55 PM

I'm starting to get the impression you weren't his biggest fan.

chrisski33
16-11-2013, 05:03 PM
:a bite: Two? That's incredible

Wow your contribution to this thread is amazing at least describe why doddies post was bollox or you just a smartarse?

jabis
16-11-2013, 05:11 PM

first hibs game I went to,thought Harper was a god at the time :greengrin

Bishop Hibee
16-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Hearts fans loved him a lot more tham Hibs fans. That says it all for me.

HoboHarry
16-11-2013, 05:23 PM
Wow your contribution to this thread is amazing at least describe why doddies post was bollox or you just a smartarse?
Whilst I wouldn't have called the post bollox it is, even at best, deeply flawed. An arrogant man Joe Harper may have been but that is hardly rare in footie is it? Doddie stated that he was worth a man short which is of course nonsense. Even with us in a team which was breaking up he managed a goal every 2.6 games. I would take that now from a striker - wouldn't you?

Also - to belittle a performance of any player who managed a cup final hat-trick is also nonsense. The game may have been over effectively but JH had clearly kept going. The post is one which is simply devoid of objectivity and loses a great deal of credibility, at least in my eyes. To refuse to even afford the courtesy of calling him by his name and substituting Lardass instead is at best childish. My own avatar - Ally McLeod - could hardly have been described as athletic and wasn't too keen on tracking back but to this day remains one of my favourite ever Hibs players.

clerriehibs
16-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Whilst I wouldn't have called the post bollox it is, even at best, deeply flawed. An arrogant man Joe Harper may have been but that is hardly rare in footie is it? Doddie stated that he was worth a man short which is of course nonsense. Even with us in a team which was breaking up he managed a goal every 2.6 games. I would take that now from a striker - wouldn't you?

Also - to belittle a performance of any player who managed a cup final hat-trick is also nonsense. The game may have been over effectively but JH had clearly kept going. The post is one which is simply devoid of objectivity and loses a great deal of credibility, at least in my eyes. To refuse to even afford the courtesy of calling him by his name and substituting Lardass instead is at best childish. My own avatar - Ally McLeod - could hardly have been described as athletic and wasn't too keen on tracking back but to this day remains one of my favourite ever Hibs players.

Comparing his goals return to our current strikers' doesn't add anything to your argument. He may have been better than what we have now, but that doesn't make him a good player for us.

--------
16-11-2013, 05:29 PM

I remember Ally too. He might not have been the most energetic of players, but he was a lot better than the individual we're discussing, in a Hibs team that was a lot worse than the team THAT player's presence destroyed.

And as for his goals-to-games percent, HoboHarry, rather than comparing him to our present squad, how about a direct comparison to the men he replaced? He arrived, and Jim O'Rourke and Alan Gordon left. The two events were directly related.

So who would you rather have had in the team? Alan Gordon? Jim O'Rourke? Or the other one?

HoboHarry
16-11-2013, 05:31 PM
Comparing his goals return to our current strikers' doesn't add anything to your argument. He may have been better than what we have now, but that doesn't make him a good player for us.
You have completely missed the point. Any player who scored a goal every 2.6 games is not a "man short". Not under any circumstances. Whether he fitted in with the team as a person is a different issue - but any player with that scoring record has a value.

--------
16-11-2013, 05:34 PM
You have completely missed the point. Any player who scored a goal every 2.6 games is not a "man short". Not under any circumstances. Whether he fitted in with the team as a person is a different issue - but any player with that scoring record has a value.

Not if he pushes out a man with a far superior scoring record - AG.

Sorry - REPLACES.

HoboHarry
16-11-2013, 05:36 PM
I remember Ally too. He might not have been the most energetic of players, but he was a lot better than the individual we're discussing, in a Hibs team that was a lot worse than the team THAT player's presence destroyed.
Not arguing with that point - I would take Super Ally over Joe Harper any day but his goals tally was still impressive. I know about the personality thing and am not disputing that. Was many years ago but I have shared a beer or several with Joe Harper. My original point was that your obvious dislike for him was clouding your judgement completely.

stoneyburn hibs
16-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Met him at a smoker about 5 years ago not really knowing about his career other than he played for Hibs, as it was a wee bit before my time.
I thought he would regale me with his time at Hibs and i was excited at getting a one to one with a former player.

I think his time at Hibs was as disappointing for him as it was for me meeting him, did not really say anything positive about Hibs and the chat dried up quickly, maybe it was me :boo hoo:

HoboHarry
16-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Not if he pushes out a man with a far superior scoring record - AG.
Who pushed out Alan Gordon? Joe Harper or Eddie Turnbull?

tamig
16-11-2013, 05:38 PM

He's obviously Wee Fat Joe :-)

HoboHarry
16-11-2013, 05:55 PM

And as for his goals-to-games percent, HoboHarry, rather than comparing him to our present squad, how about a direct comparison to the men he replaced? He arrived, and Jim O'Rourke and Alan Gordon left. The two events were directly related.

So who would you rather have had in the team? Alan Gordon? Jim O'Rourke? Or the other one?
Not really sure what the point of your question is Doddie. I can't think of any two players I would have traded Alan Gordon and Jimmy O'Rourke for at that time. They were brilliant for Hibs. That doesn't make me want to hate Joe Harper though. As I alluded to earlier - it was Eddie Turnbulls call to change things, not Joe Harpers.

RIP Bestie
16-11-2013, 05:56 PM
Wow. If you had looked at the posts that I have made since the bollox one you may have realised that it was a tongue in cheek comment as I recognised the effort and passion he had put into it. For what it's worth I found his rant both accurate and funny. So in answer to your question no I'm not a smart arse but obviously misjudged the ability of some people to spot a wind up

Phil D. Rolls
16-11-2013, 06:36 PM

You are about the only person I have ever heard defend Harper. He did OK when he was shunted back up to Sheepville, so maybe he wasn't bad, just bad for Hibs.

That said, if it had happened in the modern age, it would have been the end of Turnbull. Maybe that would have been a good thing, rather than give him another four years to put his mistakes right.

Hiber-nation
16-11-2013, 06:53 PM
I hated the wee sheidt with a passion most of the time but what a lot of people forget is that although the Tornadoes finished 3rd in 72-73, in 73-74 with Harper arriving halfway through the season we finished 2nd with 5 more points and in his only full season in 74-75 we finished 2nd again.

stoneyburn hibs
16-11-2013, 07:01 PM
You are about the only person I have ever heard defend Harper. He did OK when he was shunted back up to Sheepville, so maybe he wasn't bad, just bad for Hibs.

That said, if it had happened in the modern age, it would have been the end of Turnbull. Maybe that would have been a good thing, rather than give him another four years to put his mistakes right.

Including yourself there is a few older posters who have a moan about Turnbulls latter years in charge, how did he turn what was a revered team into well a not so revered team, im interested to know from fans who witnessed the Turnbull era.

Halmyre Hibee
16-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Scored 26 goals in 69 appearances and a better player for Aberdeen than he was for us. Travelled through to Brockville for his debut 0-0 and he was overweight. Not popular due to the fact Ned decided to break up the O’Rourke / Gordon partnership too early. I’m sure Tom Hart asked him to shave off his beard and there was some ongoing dispute…..Rowan Vine are you reading this? He was a speaker at a sportsmans night I was at and came across as an OK bloke. Great goal against Hearts at ER and his goal against Liverpool are my best memories.

scoopyboy
16-11-2013, 07:06 PM

Better judge of football than Eddie are we Doddie?

Remind me what honours you lead clubs to in Scottish football.

Phil D. Rolls
16-11-2013, 07:07 PM
Including yourself there is a few older posters who have a moan about Turnbulls latter years in charge, how did he turn what was a revered team into well a not so revered team, im interested to know from fans who witnessed the Turnbull era.

To me, his biggest problem was finding out and out strikers. He seems to have signed a whole lot of people that never made an impact.

Phil D. Rolls
16-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Better judge of football than Eddie are we Doddie?

Remind me what honours you lead clubs to in Scottish football.

For the record, I have never managed a football team at any level, played at any level above pub league, I have never presented a TV programme, written a newspaper column, or cooked pies at any Scottish ground.

Just in case anyone thought that as a result of any of my posts. I also am not, and have never been, a member of the Communist party.

I feel a lot better now that those dark secrets are out of the bag.

scoopyboy
16-11-2013, 07:20 PM
For the record, I have never managed a football team at any level, played at any level above pub league, I have never presented a TV programme, written a newspaper column, or cooked pies at any Scottish ground.

Just in case anyone thought that as a result of any of my posts. I also am not, and have never been, a member of the Communist party.

I feel a lot better now that those dark secrets are out of the bag.

I'm glad you do, it must have been hellish keeping all that to yourself for so long.

Phil D. Rolls
16-11-2013, 07:23 PM
I'm glad you do, it must have been hellish keeping all that to yourself for so long.

You've no idea mate, it was the little kiddies that I felt worst about deceiving. I swear I should do time.

stoneyburn hibs
16-11-2013, 07:23 PM
To me, his biggest problem was finding out and out strikers. He seems to have signed a whole lot of people that never made an impact.

It canny have just been that though, cmon FR elaborate for me please.

Phil D. Rolls
16-11-2013, 07:28 PM
It canny have just been that though, cmon FR elaborate for me please.

He decided the team that won the league cup were too soft. He then went about trying to replace them one by one. He wasn't able to bring in as good a standard of player as he let go. Some might say he got lucky as most of the Tornados weren't his signings.

He seems to have been unsuccessful in bringing players through the reserves too. If I was to put it in a nutshell, he attempted a transition and didn't pull it off.

stoneyburn hibs
16-11-2013, 07:41 PM
He decided the team that won the league cup were too soft. He then went about trying to replace them one by one. He wasn't able to bring in as good a standard of player as he let go. Some might say he got lucky as most of the Tornados weren't his signings.

He seems to have been unsuccessful in bringing players through the reserves too. If I was to put it in a nutshell, he attempted a transition and didn't pull it off.

Thanks for the reply, to an extent was Yogi a latter day ET, in terms of management ?, sounds about the same regarding bringing through players and the transition.

Phil D. Rolls
16-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the reply, to an extent was Yogi a latter day ET, in terms of management ?, sounds about the same regarding bringing through players and the transition.

Different eras, different transfer market. Ned had far superior football knowledge to
Yogi as well.

RIP Bestie
16-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Different eras, different transfer market. Ned had far superior football knowledge to
Yogi as well.
70s folk kent what wis gaun oan

stoneyburn hibs
16-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Yogi as well.

Did cover myself by saying to an extent :greengrin, cheers FR.
Sorry for taking the thread off topic.

Phil D. Rolls
16-11-2013, 07:56 PM
70s folk kent what wis gaun oan

Did cover myself by saying to an extent :greengrin, cheers FR.
Sorry for taking the thread off topic.

I was quite young at the time, there's a few on here better qualified to answer, but their memory might not be as good as it used to be. :greengrin

HoboHarry
16-11-2013, 08:25 PM

Not trying to defend Joe Harper at all. I simply don't go with the hate-fest that's all. For the record I would never have wanted the signing of Joe Harper if I had thought that Jimmy O'Rourke and Alan Gordon would leave. The sight of Jimmy O'Rourke in a Motherwell shirt was horrible to me - wrong on every level. As I said earlier, it was Eddie's call to change things around and Harper without doubt got caught in the cross-fire.

Hiber-nation
16-11-2013, 08:28 PM

As I posted before, Hibs' league position improved for the 2 seasons after the break up of the Tornadoes (albeit the fitba wasn't quite so spectacular) so for a while Eddie must have been making some very good signings.

johnrebus
16-11-2013, 11:53 PM
Eddie Turnbull is a Hibernian legend as a player and manager.

But he was not perfect.

Sending Pat Stanton to Celtic nearly forty years ago, still makes me feel sick.

The departure of Jimmy O'Rourke and Alan Gordon still upsets me to this day.

However.

Selling Harper back to Aberdeen for a quarter of what we paid for him two and a half years later still baffles me. It was obvious the fat barrel still had goals in him

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but in the above cases, I still don't understand what ET was trying to do.

RIP Bestie
17-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Eddie Turnbull is a Hibernian legend as a player and manager.

But he was not perfect.

Sending Pat Stanton to Celtic nearly forty years ago, still makes me feel sick.

The departure of Jimmy O'Rourke and Alan Gordon still upsets me to this day.

However.

Selling Harper back to Aberdeen for a quarter of what we paid for him two and a half years later still baffles me. It was obvious the fat barrel still had goals in him

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but in the above cases, I still don't understand what ET was trying to do.
The Standon deal turned out to be a brilliant piece of business, considering the player Jackie Mac turned out to be and the service he gave to this club. For me it was a pleasure watching him.
i think it was a massive gamble on ETs part but still think he had no idea it would turn out the way it did and got very very lucky with that one.

blackpoolhibs
17-11-2013, 10:54 AM
I have always thought Harper gets a bit too much stick on here, especially from one or two posters. :greengrin

He did score lots of goals for us, he was not responsible for the club selling the very players he thought he'd be playing WITH.

Now i dont know what kind of person he was or indeed is, and hearing what he thinks about Fergie sounds very much like bitterness, and makes him look very stupid in my opinion.

Yet in hindsight, looking back at his time at the club, he delivered goals and a better league finish, but the team was sold from beneath him.

As others said, he left and continued to score, maybe it was not all Joe's fault?

The Baldmans Comb
17-11-2013, 11:53 AM

That is a very good post and it quite hard to understand why some Hibs fans positely hate Joe Harper.

I can understand why they might not like him but "to hate"... nah Harper isn't the only bitter person around.

I thoroughly enjoyed his podcast especially his outing of Ferguson who as a younger manager was a thoroughly nasty piece of work and good for Harper for calling him out.

Dashing Bob S
17-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Harper was a good striker who simply lacked decent service from the mugs around him - just like today's scenario.

No...only kidding. I think he got a lot of unfair stick as his signing broke up the Gordon-O'Rourke partnership before its time. He didn't really fit into that team's style of play. Turnbull's fault, not his. Had he spent the 100k on a centre-half who could have handled the otherwise average Dixie Deans, we would have been drowning in silverware in that era.