PDA

View Full Version : Are you happy with Terry Butcher?

JeMeSouviens
05-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Seems like he's our new manager ...

Mikey
05-11-2013, 06:04 PM
I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic :greengrin

Pretty Boy
05-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Cautiously pleased.

Wasn't my 1st choice but think he'll do well and will definitely improve us.

3pm
05-11-2013, 06:05 PM
I don't want him but wouldn't class me as 'disgusted'. So am no taking part!! :o)

Oscar T Grouch
05-11-2013, 06:08 PM
If he ends up as oor new manager, then pretty i'm pleased, there really isnae much else oot there the noo tbh, he is a bit of a hoofball merchant, but Hibs have been for the last few years.

I think it's the winning mentality we need from the guy, and no one who saw him captain engerlund can deny he has that in bucket loads. If he can instill that into a team like ICT then he will do wonders at Hibs:agree:

scuttle
05-11-2013, 06:10 PM
No nonsense type of guy,should kick a few buts when needed

Robinho08
05-11-2013, 06:14 PM
cautiously pleased.

Gustavo Fring
05-11-2013, 06:18 PM
im in the delighted camp . been in the scottish game a long time and i think he could be the guy to make easter road a fortress once again

lapsedhibee
05-11-2013, 06:24 PM
In all the time he was here, he was never accepted by a sizeable section of the support because he was previously a the Hun.

smurf
05-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Delighted should the backroom staff come too.

blackpoolhibs
05-11-2013, 06:27 PM
I never had a preference really, so if its butcher then welcome and good luck. :thumbsup:

weonlywon6-2
05-11-2013, 06:30 PM
In all the time he was here, he was never accepted by a sizeable section of the support because he was previously a the Hun.

Im personaly not bothered about him being a former rangers player.
In his time with them he always came over well in interviews and did a lot of work with sick kids which i admired.
Most certainly a down to earth bloke with a massive amount of experience of the game

Andy74
05-11-2013, 06:31 PM
I never had a preference really, so if its butcher then welcome and good luck. :thumbsup:

Same for me.

Keith_M
05-11-2013, 06:37 PM
I'll let you know how I feel if/when he signs up.

Steve20
05-11-2013, 06:46 PM
If Butcher is our new manager, I'll be delighted.

kdhibees1
05-11-2013, 06:46 PM
Delighted with Butcher coming to us. It's time to get the stands bouncing again!!:flag:

weonlywon6-2
05-11-2013, 06:49 PM
Yep happy enough

#FromTheCapital
05-11-2013, 06:55 PM
He wasn't my first choice as I wanted Mowbray in the other poll. But out of the realistic options he was my first. Delighted but also cautious as the hibs job isn't easy. I'd probably be cautious with most new managers.

Jack Hackett
05-11-2013, 06:57 PM
If you've read the comments in the various Scotsman/EEN stories, a common theme amongst the deluded...and others, has been "Why would he want to leave a club who are competing at the right end of the table, chance of a cup, he's settled up north blahblahblah.

Terry's been up in Scotland a good few years now. He knows who we are, what we've been through and where we are at the moment. The fact that there's an offer on the table from ICT and his team are performing way above their weight and he's even prepared to speak to us, gives me hope that he feels he can take us out of the dark place we're in.

He has knowledge of this league and how to get results in it, something our last 2 managers sadly lacked. Other than Mowbray, none of the other available candidates inspire me

Delighted :flag:

.....and might even make the effort to get up for the xmas/new year programme :greengrin

Aldo
05-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Not unhappy. Hoping he gets a chance to build a decent team and get us playing some decent football.

Not expecting miracles but hoping for him to install a bit more belief and direction in the next few weeks/months and then add a bit of width and pace in Jan transfer window.

Leithenhibby
05-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Until it's official, I'm welded to the fence... :wink:

Speedway
05-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Terry Boooooooooooooooootcher is as welcome as a fart in a wetsuit as far as I'm concerned.

Aldo
05-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Terry Boooooooooooooooootcher is as welcome as a fart in a wetsuit as far as I'm concerned.

O dear someone is not a happy bunny?

Benny Brazil
05-11-2013, 07:03 PM
I voted meh - doesnt seem like a lot of thought has gone into this - maybe am wrong - I do wish him well should he get the job and hope it works for us.

AlbertK86
05-11-2013, 07:06 PM
I'm pretty happy if he gets the gig

Will definitely sort out anybody who is a slacker and seems like a guy who will build a real camaraderie in the team.

Also a well known and respected figure throughout the world so hope he can use this to his advantage to attract some quality

Liked PF as a guy but felt his lack of profile contributed when we missed out on some targets

lapsedhibee
05-11-2013, 07:06 PM

I'm not wearing a wetsuit so that aspect doesn't affect me, but it's a bad omen that our last manager who had a name that was also an occupation was responsible for some very boring fitba.

hihohibby
05-11-2013, 07:07 PM
I voted meh - doesnt seem like a lot of thought has gone into this - maybe am wrong - I do wish him well should he get the job and hope it works for us.

Ditto!:dunno:

Saorsa
05-11-2013, 07:08 PM
If he does a good job I'll be happy, if he disnae.......

At least he's no Shiels and that's a start for me.

Emerald
05-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Butcher has played at the highest level, won 77 caps, captained England, played in three world cup finals, knows the Scottish game inside out, has a good managerial record in Scotland and has managerial experience in other countries. He must have a whole host of contacts due to his vast experience, he is high profile and will be well known in every football country in the world. I would say this is a very very good appointment (if it happens), where else would Hibs pick up someone with that sort of CV? :dunno:

So I'm delighted.

HibbyAndy
05-11-2013, 07:13 PM

And ive always found you as funny as a fart in a trance.

stoneyburn hibs
05-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Think so, i will just be glad if he can get us playing some form of football. Been a long long time since we have.

hfc rd
05-11-2013, 07:18 PM
After being a bit tight lipped about this potential appointment at the start, I'm starting to get a feeling that Terry Butcher is the right man for the job. He will take no bull**** from the players and will demand 120% at all times. You can see it with his passion on the sidelines, he ain't a guy you would want to anger. Also turned ICT from a relegation side to a team that is up there challenging for the European positions. Also how many of us had heard of the likes of Johnny Hayes, Aaron Doran, Billy McKay, Andrew Shinnie, Graham Shinnie etc before they were at ICT? I certainly never and you can see that he certainly does have an eye for a player.

bingo70
05-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Not who I wanted but I thought fenlon and calderwood would be great appointments so I'm obviously not the best judge.

edwards
05-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Outstanding if true been my number one choice for years go on the Big Butcher fella

sixtwo
05-11-2013, 07:23 PM
I'm disappointed with this appointment. If he is remotely successful he will immediately leave for rangers. I would prefer we went for Tony Mowbray. He had us playing the best football I have witnessed at ER. He also has a point to prove and is unlikely to be lured away to Glasgow!

Pretty Boy
05-11-2013, 07:25 PM
I'm disappointed with this appointment. If he is remotely successful he will immediately leave for rangers. I would prefer we went for Tony Mowbray. He had us playing the best football I have witnessed at ER. He also has a point to prove and is unlikely to be lured away to Glasgow!

I'm glad we finally have a manager someone else might want.

By it's very nature the Hibs job is a short term one. Someone who does well will move on, someone who is poor will be sacked.

We are unlikely to ever have a manager stay for a really long time again so i prefer the former of the 2 options i mentioned.

Hibercelona
05-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Like any manager that first arrives here, i'm completely indifferent about the appointment.

But can usually tell within the space of a month if i'm going to be happy with their appointment or not.

Not because i'm impatient and expect us to be fantastic in the space of a month, but because there's usually at least small glimpses of things to come when a good manager first arrives.

edwards
05-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Rangers are sittin top of the league Ally Mccoist is going nowhere, they will be playing against hetz next season then they will be back in the premier do you honestly think they will sack Mccoist for that. Think that is why Terry is jumping ship now to prove a point with a bigger club.

hibsbollah
05-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Fine.

Moon unit
05-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Butcher news?...could not help a sneak view of the Trumpets views on Keechback!
Priceless...most are riddled with squealing jealousy, others are crapping themselves that it will mean an upward trajectory for Hibs:)

offshorehibby
05-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Cautiously pleased.
I think of the candidates that have been mentioned he's the stand out. Got ICT playing well, seems to know how to set out a team, good knowledge of the Scottish game.
I hope the deal is to bring Malpas and the guy Marsella with him.

What is still worry about is that we are being played. Mind he turned down Burnley i think recently. I hope this is not a ploy to get a better deal up north.

HibeeMG
05-11-2013, 07:44 PM

Although he was captain at the old Rangers, TB never really bought into everything that comes with being at that club. That might hold him back from being 'lured away'. He's also turned down a couple of opportunities while at ICT as he wanted to carry on his work there. If he is successful here there's every chance he would do the same thing.

Also, let's not forget that Stuart McCall is doing rather well. I would think he is top of the list should they pump McCoist.

Crossgates Hibs
05-11-2013, 07:46 PM

any ambitious manager will bump us for either of the bigot brothers. This is a great appointment the man is a born leader has ICT running through brick walls for him and is known throughout the football world. A very inspiring appointment and I reckon he will go on to be a total legend for us.:flag:

Swedish hibee
05-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Not a fan. Would loved to be proved wrong though.

lapsedhibee
05-11-2013, 07:49 PM
Although he was captain at the old Rangers, TB never really bought into everything that comes with being at that club.

:agree: It's to his immense credit that he spoke out very publicly against the viler of the The Rangers-mindedness that went on while he was there.

Bronson
05-11-2013, 07:49 PM
Delighted, what he has done at ICT is nothing short of remarkable on a shoestring budget.

First time in years hibs have appointed the right man.

Weststandwanab
05-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Rangers are sittin top of the league Ally Mccoist is going nowhere, they will be playing against hetz next season then they will be back in the premier do you honestly think they will sack Mccoist for that. Think that is why Terry is jumping ship now to prove a point with a bigger club. That is a great point

iwasthere1972
05-11-2013, 08:07 PM
He'll be better than the last incumbent and the incumbent before the last incumbent.

We could do a lot worse. First job is to tackle Vine's beard.

Onceinawhile
05-11-2013, 08:14 PM
Did we get a reference from craig levein? If not, I'm unhappy.

I'm not overjoyed as his record is sketchy and he seems to be in a really good groove at ict which doesn't always translate to other teams.

Full backing though for at least the first 10-15 minutes. But if we go long even once...

Hibbyradge
05-11-2013, 08:15 PM
Rangers are sittin top of the league Ally Mccoist is going nowhere, they will be playing against hetz next season then they will be back in the premier do you honestly think they will sack Mccoist for that. Think that is why Terry is jumping ship now to prove a point with a bigger club.

Nonsense.

Butcher played professional football for 17 years.

Only 4 of them were at Ibrox and he only went there because English clubs were banned from Europe.

I don't believe he has any particular loyalty to them since they punted him.

Ipswich on the other hand is a different matter.

Hibernia Na Eir
05-11-2013, 08:18 PM
just need Graham Mitchell as his sidekick and we'll have an Eastenders dream team....Butcher and Mitchell.

Betty Boop
05-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Not for me.

CorrieHibs
05-11-2013, 08:28 PM

Wouldn't have Mowbray. Enjoyed it at the time but we had the best crop of youngsters this country has produced in 30 years. He would never get that team playing football. Not good enough. Mowbray hasn't been the best since he left Hibs as well.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Didn't vote as I'm not too sure any of the options apply to me - including grunts.

I really don't know where I am on this one neither delighted/pleased or disgusted I hadn't really given it much thought as I didn't reckon El Tel would get the gig so hadn't formed an opinion on him or the others as we were told there's no rush.

Sorry for wasting the bandwidth...

bigwheel
05-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Wouldn't have Mowbray. Enjoyed it at the time but we had the best crop of youngsters this country has produced in 30 years. He would never get that team playing football. Not good enough. Mowbray hasn't been the best since he left Hibs as well.

Mowbray's WBA team played some of the best football I've seen for 2 years in a row..I love his philosophy on the game...would have been delighted to see him back....however, all hail El Tel.....

Mr White
05-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Looking forward to him unearthing some decent pacy direct effective players from down south and beyond. tb and his team seem to have been pretty good at that at ict.

greenlex
05-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Cautiously Pleased about sums me up.

lochhibs
05-11-2013, 08:42 PM
delighted
seeing as the last 2 managers never had a clue about scottish football im delighted we're bringing a guy in who has experience up here.and i couldnt care if we lump it long.if we're winning,im happy.

lobster
05-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Voting options should include 'This is a fad and Hibs are falling for it sadly'. (Unless the BBC have jumped the gun and the talks fall through)

johnrebus
05-11-2013, 08:46 PM
If it is to be TB, that's fine by me.

He can start by sorting out all the Hibee hating c***s in the media.

Mowbray would be a nostalgia trip. But as someone said earlier, the 'The Golden Generation', were already there when he took over.

Like Collins, a fair few of his signings were dodgy.

Butcher may have played for them, but he is not a Hun.

Don't see him ever going back there.

Time will tell, but what have we got to lose?

Wellbankhibby
05-11-2013, 08:52 PM
My first choice was always Gordon Strachan and as he is with the national Team, I would be very happy with Terry Butcher followed by Tony Mobray, John Collins or Alex McLeish. I dont think we have bad players but we do need someone that the players will pay attention too and show some belief in. I thought PF did a reasonable job for us but the players in my opinion were not inspired by him. If its confirmed we TB is the new man in charge I am certain we will see a big difference in attitude and belief of more of our players. I also feel at inverness they were able to find very good players to replace the good ones that moved to other clubs. GGTTH. :not worth

Pedantic_Hibee
05-11-2013, 08:53 PM
I'm tickled pink to be honest.

banchoryhibs
05-11-2013, 08:56 PM
I'm ok with this. if he brings a bit of consistency to the Club that will be good and he's got to have more tactical ability than Pat Fenlon.

I just hope that rod gives him full reign over his support team and does not try to foist anyone on him as he did with Fenlon and Calderwood.

I'm optimistic:agree:

Hermit Crab
05-11-2013, 09:01 PM
I'm happy. As long as he gets the necessary funds to build a decent.

Mikey
05-11-2013, 09:04 PM
I'm ok with this. if he brings a bit of consistency to the Club that will be good and he's got to have more tactical ability than Pat Fenlon.

I just hope that rod gives him full reign over his support team and does not try to foist anyone on him as he did with Fenlon and Calderwood.

I'm optimistic:agree:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/colin-calderwood-appointing-adams-as-exciting-as-beating-rangers-3-0-1-833850

:wink:

OsloHibs
05-11-2013, 09:08 PM
Meh :hmmm:

jimmythefish
05-11-2013, 09:15 PM
butcher or Mowbray are the only 2 names that fill me with any optimism, if butcher takes the job would be good appointment imo

Hibbyradge
05-11-2013, 09:18 PM

lol

Hibrandenburg
05-11-2013, 09:20 PM
Ask me again in 3 months. I've decided it's much easier to sit on the fence and criticise with hindsight. I'll be keeping the knives sharpened.

NadeAteMyLunch!
05-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Great thread title. Means that we can easily revisit it every time we lose a game in the forthcoming 12 months or so

nonshinyfinish
05-11-2013, 09:31 PM
I voted for General Zod in the original poll, before my heart was stolen by Tony Tapia. Fickle as ever, I've now talked myself round.

Viva El Tel!

Eyrie
05-11-2013, 09:33 PM
On balance, yes. I'm slightly concerned that it's only at Inverness where he's done well as a manager, but against that it is his current job showing that he has learnt from previous mistakes.

Hibbyradge
05-11-2013, 09:33 PM
I'll be keeping the knives sharpened.

That post belongs on the pun thread!

Reaper
05-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Im happy enough tbh. I dont even care if he does have alterior motives (which I dont think he does). If while he's here he gets results, moves the team forward and most importantly roots out this incescant superiority complex we have with them and the acceptance of mediocrity the whole club seems to be riddled with then he'll be a hero and if/when he leaves he'll go with my blessing. And for me progression and moving forward will at least consistently be top six. Im realistic enough to know we're not going to just jump ahead of motherwell etc in the blink of an eye. All I ask is we steadily progress towards that and achiebve it in time.

Mikey
05-11-2013, 09:50 PM
lol

It's bonkers, isn't it. There's nothing to suggest that Fenlon and Calderwood had their assistants forced upon them, other than rumours on here, and many are taken in by it. And when we do get hard evidence to the contrary, such as Calderwood's direct quotes about getting in Adams, it's ignored.

Next we'll be told that Petrie backed the players when they rolled up to his house...........

Ozyhibby
05-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Delighted.

The Harp Awakes
05-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Cautiously pleased assuming he comes to us.

I don't think we'll see the silky football some Hibs fans crave but TB will kick some backsides that's for sure. Given our woeful record against ICT, he'll have a good insight into Hibs frailties and will hopefully get rid of our yellow streak and fragile confidence.

jacomo
05-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Cautiously optimistic.

I think Hibs should be brave and instigate a long term plan that has proper passing football at its heart. For me a combination of John Collins plus a very good assistant (possibly even Jimmy Nicholl) would have been the ticket, but there are all sorts of reasons why that wouldn't happen.

I think Butcher is a winner and can make things happen at Easter Road.

Speedway
05-11-2013, 10:18 PM
And ive always found you as funny as a fart in a trance.

Who cares?

Sas_The_Hibby
05-11-2013, 10:19 PM
It's bonkers, isn't it. There's nothing to suggest that Fenlon and Calderwood had their assistants forced upon them, other than rumours on here, and many are taken in by it. And when we do get hard evidence to the contrary, such as Calderwood's direct quotes about getting in Adams, it's ignored.

Next we'll be told that Petrie backed the players when they rolled up to his house...........

When were any rumours on here ever untrue?! :greengrin:greengrin

Sir David Gray
06-11-2013, 12:43 AM
I'm not bothered who the next manager is.

Nothing will improve unless we get real change at the top level of the club and whoever the new man is will be gone in the next couple of years anyway.

lord bunberry
06-11-2013, 01:58 AM
Can't say I'm overly pleased about it, but I'm not feeling disappointed like I was when calderwood was appointed.

DAVE1875
06-11-2013, 02:04 AM
I'd be happy if the title of the article that is about him being the new manager says "Terry Butcher confirmed as Hibs new manager, Billy McKay and Aaron Doran to join in January"

https://a4-images.myspacecdn.com/images03/1/9be7d6841e6942b0b191d031797a1b1e/300x300.jpg

HKhibby
06-11-2013, 03:57 AM
Seems like he's our new manager ...

Yes happy with the appointment of Butcher...well if it goes through!, he is a no nonsense style manager!...does not really suffer fools gladly from what i read, and will probably take Hibs that one step up, hopefully! with good playing football, and will probably make them a hard team to beat!...a bit like Mowbray in a way!

I voted optimistic!...why?...well unfortunately like others have posted on here as well, i think we may only hold on to him for a couple of years+!, as he will being putting himself in the shop window if he does well, and maybe might be wrong, but i think once they are back in the Premiership, which will not be long, Rangers will come in for him...and he will probably go!

Bill Milne
06-11-2013, 09:10 AM
TB should, at least, get them using East Mains properly ie as a means of getting fully fit and working on tactics, rather than a cushy social club to while away the time. Who knows, he may even get rid of Vine's enormous gut.

southsider
06-11-2013, 09:15 AM
TB should, at least, get them using East Mains properly ie as a means of getting fully fit and working on tactics, rather than a cushy social club to while away the time. Who knows, he may even get rid of Vine's enormous gut.

Aye Bill, right oot the door.

Glesgahibby
06-11-2013, 09:47 AM

Yet again,BBC !! Don't know how many times,so called expert ITK kid on pundits have for several years had sneaky digs at hibs for not leaving managers to it.
Dont know of any ex hibs managers being quoted as being forced to accept any coaching staff!!
Happy with butcher if it goes ahead,ironically he's a darling of the bbc pundits :greengrin

Bobby's Cinema
06-11-2013, 10:00 AM
he would be a good appointment IMO like the idea of this alot

blackpoolhibs
06-11-2013, 11:20 AM

Nothing will improve unless we get real change at the top level of the club and whoever the new man is will be gone in the next couple of years anyway.

Not entirely true, although i'd like Petrie to bugger off and do something else. He did get it right with Mowbray, perhaps we will get lucky again?

Scott Allan Key
06-11-2013, 12:31 PM
If true about Butcher, relatively happy and bring in his background team, with another sports psychologist for us suffering fans too but please leave out the 'meh' word. Just a request. :greengrin

lapsedhibee
06-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Yes happy with the appointment of Butcher...well if it goes through!, he is a no nonsense style manager!...does not really suffer fools gladly from what i read, and will probably take Hibs that one step up, hopefully! with good playing football, and will probably make them a hard team to beat!...a bit like Mowbray in a way!

I voted optimistic!...why?...well unfortunately like others have posted on here as well, i think we may only hold on to him for a couple of years+!, as he will being putting himself in the shop window if he does well, and maybe might be wrong, but i think once they are back in the Premiership, which will not be long, Rangers will come in for him...and he will probably go!

Yet again,BBC !! Don't know how many times,so called expert ITK kid on pundits have for several years had sneaky digs at hibs for not leaving managers to it.
Dont know of any ex hibs managers being quoted as being forced to accept any coaching staff!!

!!!

Phil MaGlass
06-11-2013, 01:15 PM
well pleased if TB becomes the manager, a guy who always played with his heart and kicked ass on the pitch, woe betide any player at ER who thinks they can just swan up and put in half a performance on match day and get away without one of TB,s fit up their er5e.
The yams should be 5hittin themsels, nae mair walkovers, nae mair lyin doon, nae mair clueless gutless performances, fingers oot or youŽll be oot.
This will be a great signing if it happens.

Still think ICT will beat us 3-0 at the weeekend though.

frazeHFC
06-11-2013, 02:55 PM
If he does a good job I'll be happy, if he disnae.......

At least he's no Shiels and that's a start for me.

Was going to post the exact same. I was very worried at one point it was going to be Shiels. :agree:

JimBHibees
06-11-2013, 03:17 PM
I am usually positive and hope for the best whenever a new manager arrives and if Terry Butcher is appointed I will be very happy. His recent record at ICT in the same league has been excellent and they have been to a number of semi finals narrowly missing out on making a final. He is a name in football in the UK and will IMO raise the profile of the club. He is a big personality and just hope he gets the players all playing and improving both individually and as a team. He will IMO take us to the next level and have us up the right end of the league consistently.

cabbageandribs1875
06-11-2013, 03:18 PM
not voted....i'm sitting on the fence in regards to TB

http://www.emofaces.com/png/200/smilies/sitting%20on%20the%20fence.png

Franck Stanton
06-11-2013, 05:40 PM
If he ends up as oor new manager, then pretty i'm pleased, there really isnae much else oot there the noo tbh, he is a bit of a hoofball merchant, but Hibs have been for the last few years.

I think it's the winning mentality we need from the guy, and no one who saw him captain engerlund can deny he has that in bucket loads. If he can instill that into a team like ICT then he will do wonders at Hibs:agree:Sensible post imo , agree 100% :top marks

--------
06-11-2013, 08:01 PM

More or less how I feel about it.

IMO he'll be working in the same culture and under the same conditions as how many predecessors?

I still want Petrie gone.

basehibby
06-11-2013, 08:27 PM
I'm delighted - he's the man of the moment, is an inspirational figure and a world renowned figure in football - all that AND affordable! I felt that NOT approaching him first would just have smacked of a total lack of ambition, so I'm very pleased that he's been the first name on the list and - if reports are to be believed - does not share the opinions of some of the mugs in the media who failed to recognise that this is a good move for Terry as well as a good move for Hibs.

sahib
06-11-2013, 10:42 PM
I am not sure about Butcher, but he should be a safe enough pair of hands. There will be no pleasing some people, though, by the sounds of it.:wink:
If I can turn up at Easter Road and expect us to have a fair chance of beating most opposition then I will be happy. The odd heavy defeat or failures against Hearts I have been used to over the years anyway.

MrAware
06-11-2013, 11:20 PM
I don't want him but wouldn't class me as 'disgusted'. So am no taking part!! :o)

Who did you want instead?

He wasn't my first choice, but I'm definitely delighted If he does sign up with us! Look at all the wrong appointments we continuously make! Mowbray & McLeish were even the wrong appointments at the time. We were just lucky enough that they flourished here.

This would be the first time in decades that we've actually chose a manager that is actually over achieving when we appoint them!

Are you one of these that refuses anyone that's been at Rangers? ;) As that's the only reason(silly) that people could have not to want him! :)

MrAware
06-11-2013, 11:32 PM
He may be great or he may be awful, but at least we'd be appointing someone that is proven in SPL for a change!

I was getting bored of Hibs appointing managers just because they either support or/and have played for Hibs AND risks who hadn't actually managed or weren't ready!

This would be the first time Petrie has actually made the right choice out of managers that are available or we can afford!

Anyway, going by current SPL managers, I think none of them would actually do worse than Fenlon, would they...!?

This could potentially be an amazing spell for the club! It was important that Fenlon left in time for the new man to get games in before half-season ticket time! I think if Butcher gets a good run going, whilst playing a more positive style of football too, It could potentially help gain thousands of applicants for the 2nd half of the season. It's been so long since Hibs fans have been playing to the level we should be, that a lot of fans will have found different hobbies now, instead of Easter Road on a saturday. Hopefully Butcher can bring them back, and we can make a push for 2nd! With additions in january (winger, full backs & CB) and hopefully some leaving, 2nd is still within reach. If not, then we have one more season (without over-spending) to achieve 2nd before Rangers come back in!

Very, VERY optimistic if he joins! :big grin:

The Sea-gull
07-11-2013, 09:05 AM
If it is to be TB then I am happy. Not particularly because I wanted him as such but he is an experienced SPL manager who has done well in the league over a reasonable period of time with other clubs so fits the bill for a Hibs boss for me. Would have probably been just as happy with Stuart McCall or most others who fall into that category.

Certainly happier than I was at the appointments of CC and Fenlon based on their respective CVs. At least I feel I know what Butcher is about.

Doesn't mean it will all work out but if it is to be Butcher and it does go wrong again, I'll try to remember this post and not criticise the Board for appointing the wrong man as he does seem to tick all the boxes for me pre-appointment; unlike CC and Fenlon.