PDA

View Full Version : Ben Williams mentioned in Fergie's book

ManBearPig
05-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Just been been reading Alex Fergusons autobiography (hate man u amd his record but respect enormously) he qas talking about the players that came through youth setup including 7 goalies and how england coach could tell they came through by the way they trained and applied themselves and big ben gets a mention. Maybe the reason he is so superb?! (Also worth noting hpw brilliant he was at the mighty U's)

Just a wee note but found it interesting

allezsauzee
05-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Our best keeper since Leighton. Get him signed up before January please Rodders

hibsbollah
05-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Our most important player and Fenlons best signing. I wouldnt be at all surprised if hes being watched by other clubs.

Scouse Hibee
05-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Just been been reading Alex Fergusons autobiography (hate man u amd his record but respect enormously) he qas talking about the players that came through youth setup including 7 goalies and how england coach could tell they came through by the way they trained and applied themselves and big ben gets a mention. Maybe the reason he is so superb?! (Also worth noting hpw brilliant he was at the mighty U's)

I knew from day one he would be a good keeper for us, doesn't take me long to suss a player!

bingo70
05-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Great shot stopper but still costs us too many goals for my liking

LaMotta
05-11-2013, 12:25 PM

Leigh Griffiths never got as many goals for us as I would have liked either.....

Hibercelona
05-11-2013, 12:51 PM

Nothing to do with our defence not being quite as perfect as some seem to believe?

Mister P
05-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Nothing to do with our defence not being quite as perfect as some seem to believe?

What he said!

ManBearPig
05-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Seriously best best goalie since and in my opinion Leighton. Won 3 player of the season at at Colchester as well as the one with us. Says a lot

KeithTheHibby
05-11-2013, 01:24 PM

What you after likes? We are Hibs, not Barcelona. Best keeper we have had in over a decade.

MurrayfieldHibs
05-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Our most important player and Fenlons best signing. I wouldnt be at all surprised if hes being watched by other clubs.

:agree:

Remember Yves Makalamity and Zibi Malpractice??????

bingo70
05-11-2013, 01:48 PM

Does anyone think our defence is good, never mind perfect?

jodjam
05-11-2013, 01:57 PM

Your posts always seem so negative to me but to back up your point by making up nonsense that folk have suggested our defence is perfect is just silly.

This thread is about Williams. I happen to reckon he's a good keeper. Be nice to keep it about the lad

Hibercelona
05-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Does anyone think our defence is good, never mind perfect?

Many regard us as being solid at the back and "hard to beat".

The best part of our defence is Ben Williams IMO.

Itsnoteasy
05-11-2013, 02:26 PM
What you after likes? We are Hibs, not Barcelona. Best keeper we have had in over a decade.

Not difficult considering all the bottle merchants that crumbled playing against HMFC

southsider
05-11-2013, 02:27 PM

Aye, but has poor defenders in front of him. Bomb-scare McPake, softy Hanlon, too wee Stevenson and McGivern who tends too switch off as per goal at 'well.

Pretty Boy
05-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Good keeper imo.

He's got a few weaknesses, if he didn't then he would be playing at a higher level than Hibs.

Even keepers with very few weaknesses make mistakes, i'd wager Williams has won us more games than he's cost us. A new contract for him should be a priority for the new manager.

Jonnyboy
05-11-2013, 02:44 PM
I knew from day one he would be a good keeper for us, doesn't take me long to suss a player!

Or diss one :wink: :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
05-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Or diss one :wink: :greengrin

Well I've only ever been wrong once :wink:

Jonnyboy
05-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Well I've only ever been wrong once :wink:

Don't worry I have faith in you improving :greengrin

PeterboroHibee
05-11-2013, 02:58 PM

Williams has his weaknesses (most players at this level do), but I think he is one of the better keepers in the league (and our best player). I remember he flogged a few bad goals last season, but I cant really remember any huge mistakes this season. Most goals come from our shambolic defending, and we would be a lot worse off in terms of points and goal difference if it wasnt for Big Ben!

blackpoolhibs
05-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Probably as good as we can afford, has made some of the best saves i have seen a Hibs keeper make. He's also made some howlers, but they are becoming less and less.

I was not convinced to begin with, but he's decent and one worth keeping in my opinion.

If more of Fenlons signings had given the same kind of performances, he'd still be in a job today.

Definitely worth a new contract.

wick hibby
05-11-2013, 03:15 PM

Suss some more :thumbsup::wink:

MurrayfieldHibs
05-11-2013, 03:30 PM
IIRC when he does makes mistakes he bounces back from it in the next game rather than falling apart like some recent keepers.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-11-2013, 03:45 PM

Theres only two teams that's not Barcelona!

Scooter
05-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Anyway talking abt Ben he needs a new contract asap

oramhibee
05-11-2013, 05:51 PM
Ben and Stack are the best goalies we've had in years

hfc rd
05-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Need to get him tied down on a new long term deal. The best GK we have had since Leighton.

Moon unit
05-11-2013, 06:45 PM

Just heard Joe Harper interview on Radio Scotland..admitted that he still hates Fergie and stated that he was just a bully to younger players and that he refused to be pushed about by him!

Del Boy
05-11-2013, 06:47 PM
Is his contract up this summer?

hfc rd
05-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Is his contract up this summer?

Yes, hence how it's vital we get him signed up long term.

Silver Fox
05-11-2013, 07:11 PM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Daniel Andersson, he was decent, so Big Ben imo is the best 'keeper we've had since then :agree:

Moon unit
05-11-2013, 08:19 PM
Ben and Stack are the best goalies we've had in years

Far,far more reliable than Stack.. Top Goalie who we will struggle to keep hold of!

Jonnyboy
05-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Just heard Joe Harper interview on Radio Scotland..admitted that he still hates Fergie and stated that he was just a bully to younger players and that he refused to be pushed about by him!

Harper came across for what he is, a bitter and twisted wee man. Even Graham Spiers called his assertion that 'Ferguson has just been lucky' as utter drivel

EastCalderHibby
05-11-2013, 09:19 PM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Daniel Andersson, he was decent, so Big Ben imo is the best 'keeper we've had since then :agree:

:agree: Me too will never forget the penalty shootout v rangers superb

Jonnyboy
05-11-2013, 09:21 PM
:agree: Me too will never forget the penalty shootout v rangers superb

Never tire of watching this and spookily enough, Terry Butcher is the match summariser!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVnigShdkZ4

Sir David Gray
05-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Ben Williams is our best goalkeeper for many years and it's vital that we try as hard as we can to get him to extend his contract.

Brilliant goalkeeper.

Jones28
06-11-2013, 12:54 AM
Big Ben is a great keeper. Best I've seen play for Hibs I think.

hibbeedavid
06-11-2013, 07:24 AM
I think Ben and Danny Andersson are equally good as each other, great shot stoppers and both a bit dodgy at crosses

I have to admit I liked Stack a lot as a goalie and think he was quite underrated by a lot of the Hibs support but that's just my opinion

I heard part of the Joe Harper interview, was cringeworthy, just came across totally bitter, not old enough to see Joe play but am I right in thinking it was his signing was effectively the tipping point for our downward spiral under Turnbull?!