PDA

View Full Version : Will Rod get this one right this time.

silverhibee
04-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Or should he have any part in the picking of our new manager after his last few failures.

Or does he get another chance to muck it up again and we are sacking another manager in 18 months.

After hearing that he consulted with Potter on Fenlon i would rather he has no say at all in the picking of the next manager, but what chance is there of that happening.

Hibbyradge
04-11-2013, 01:56 PM
I don't think he'll make the appointment.

Captain Trips
04-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Petrie should have walked right after CC he should be away from club and nowhere near manager selections.

Saorsa
04-11-2013, 01:58 PM
It's had nothing tae do with him, he's no been responsible, it's all been other people's fault. :agree:

Most likely the fans :agree:

The Sea-gull
04-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Last time the job was up was there not a big fanfare annoucement on the Hibs website that Petrie would not be involved in recruiting the next manager?

erskine-hibby
04-11-2013, 02:11 PM
To be fair I think he tries to get it right.
He's just not very good at it.

Weststandwanab
04-11-2013, 02:16 PM
No, why would he ? . Nothing has changed. He was not involved with picking Fenlon yet that seems to have been a mistake.

silverhibee
04-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Last time the job was up was there not a big fanfare annoucement on the Hibs website that Petrie would not be involved in recruiting the next manager?

There sure was, and have a guess what, he got involved and paraded Fenlon to the press at ER when they announced the decision, and we now find out that he took advice from Potter regards to Fenlon.

He can't help but not get involved as everything has to go through Petrie and he gets the final say at the end of the day.

Maybe it's just time for Petrie to step down from his position at the club either now or at the end of the season.

Scouse Hibee
04-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Well he's had enough ****** practice :grr: I wish he'd just appoint Potter so it would be a no brainer for me, I could just walk away, cut up my ST and never set foot inside ER again.

MB62
04-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Or does he get another chance to muck it up again and we are sacking another manager in 18 months.

TBF, Whilst the media like to announce to all about the number of managers we have had over the years, not all of them have been sacked.
McLeish and Mowbray (?) left for pastures new, and both Collins and Fenlon resigned.
Williamson was told his contract would not be re-newed I believe, which is almost a sacking I suppose.

I believe the problem we have is not entirely down to the manager of the team but from what happens in the board room. Petrie says in the press this morning he is not aware of any hostility towards himself, he much be living in a carboard box and needs to move to a padded cell.

southsider
04-11-2013, 03:03 PM
I have my doubts if TB would really want to work with him at ER

silverhibee
04-11-2013, 03:08 PM
TBF, Whilst the media like to announce to all about the number of managers we have had over the years, not all of them have been sacked.
McLeish and Mowbray (?) left for pastures new, and both Collins and Fenlon resigned.
Williamson was told his contract would not be re-newed I believe, which is almost a sacking I suppose.

I believe the problem we have is not entirely down to the manager of the team but from what happens in the board room. Petrie says in the press this morning he is not aware of any hostility towards himself, he much be living in a carboard box and needs to move to a padded cell.

Got a link by any chance. :aok:

Crossgates Hibs
04-11-2013, 03:09 PM
To be fair I think he tries to get it right.
He's just not very good at it.

He should speak to his opposite number at St Johnstone they rarely seem to get it wrong.:flag:

Hibiza
04-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Blobby Williamson ( if you want entertainment go to the pictures)
Duff jimmy ( might as well sign all ma pals)
Yogi ( one of the boys)
Calderwood ( wheres the mirror)
fenlon ( not get hammered again . again oh and again )
:confused:
prob missed a few "stars".
mowbray , McLeish done a job.2 0ut 0f 11 or so aint bad.

silverhibee
04-11-2013, 03:18 PM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gordon-waddell--rod-petrie-2671522

Mikey
04-11-2013, 03:20 PM
I would expect Rod to be very much involved this time.

Phil D. Rolls
04-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Yogi ( one of the boys)

Hey, you're right. Why has no one highlighted this chink in our armour before now?

banarc7062
04-11-2013, 04:17 PM
What targets do you think the Board set or discuss with a new manager? Do they have ambition or is it just that the manager is prepared to take all the flack that comes his way and "shield" the Board???

GraniteCityHibs
04-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Yogi ( one of the boys)

Hey.. Hibiza.. what you on about?

Hibercelona
04-11-2013, 04:38 PM
What targets do you think the Board set or discuss with a new manager? Do they have ambition or is it just that the manager is prepared to take all the flack that comes his way and "shield" the Board???

If the board actually set targets, wouldn't we have an idea on what those targets are?

From what i've seen, none of us seem to have a clue what the clubs intended targets are. :confused:

It makes you think that there are no targets set beyond finanical level.

FitbaFolkKen
04-11-2013, 04:44 PM
If the board actually set targets, wouldn't we have an idea on what those targets are?

From what i've seen, none of us seem to have a clue what the clubs intended targets are. :confused:

Yeah this is definitely right, a company that has a turnover of £8 million a year operates with no goals or targets regarding it's product which would directly impact the financial aspect of the business. :bitchy:

Hibrandenburg
04-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Does it matter? The last 9 managers have been welcomed by the majority of the fans who in large were mostly happy about the appointments.

There's something that happens at the club after the appointments that's holding us back. That's what needs addressing.

DAZ86
04-11-2013, 05:35 PM
Yogi ( one of the boys)

LOL, posts like this make me laugh........
Williamson was wanted by a majority of fans who, simelar to butcher, was doing well at another SPL club (Killie)
Yogi was also wanted due to hime being a Hibs man who had done relativley well with youth at Falkirk.
Fenlon had won cups and leagues in Ireland and came with a great CV. Again, backed by most fans.

I agree Calderwood and Duffy were poor but not too bad in comparison to some clubs.

We screamed we needed investment in the playing squad, I would say Craig, Thomson, Robertson, Nelson wont be on pennies and then we sign a striker for 200k. Is that the board or the scouting staffs fault they are not good enough?

The board (Petrie) has transformed hibs into a club with 13m in assets and stability at a time when the SPFL have 3/4 clubs that could go to the wall. I am happy the job they have done.

The managers are to blame for not performing

Hibercelona
04-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Yeah this is definitely right, a company that has a turnover of £8 million a year operates with no goals or targets regarding it's product which would directly impact the financial aspect of the business. :bitchy:

My point is, their focus is soley on the money. The don't care if we're dire to watch, as long as they continue to keep things steady finanically.

The fact that we continue to more or less break even, despite the clubs loss of revenue from more and more fans failing to go to games, would suggest that they're cutting costs in order to do so.

The boards sole target is to break even. There doesn't seem to be any targets set beyond that of the accounts.

jakeshibs
04-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Williamson was wanted by a majority of fans who, simelar to butcher, was doing well at another SPL club (Killie)
Yogi was also wanted due to hime being a Hibs man who had done relativley well with youth at Falkirk.
Fenlon had won cups and leagues in Ireland and came with a great CV. Again, backed by most fans.

I agree Calderwood and Duffy were poor but not too bad in comparison to some clubs.

We screamed we needed investment in the playing squad, I would say Craig, Thomson, Robertson, Nelson wont be on pennies and then we sign a striker for 200k. Is that the board or the scouting staffs fault they are not good enough?

The board (Petrie) has transformed hibs into a club with 13m in assets and stability at a time when the SPFL have 3/4 clubs that could go to the wall. I am happy the job they have done.

well said!

snooky
04-11-2013, 05:52 PM
It's had nothing tae do with him, he's no been responsible, it's all been other people's fault. :agree:

Most likely the fans :agree:

I'm Sparticus! :trumpet:!

down-the-slope
04-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Or should he have any part in the picking of our new manager after his last few failures.

After hearing that he consulted with Potter on Fenlon i would rather he has no say at all in the picking of the next manager, but what chance is there of that happening.

By Rod...do you mean' Rod'...or 'the board'? Not picking on your post particularly, but there are a number who either support 'Rod' or don't support 'Rod'...when in fact its a board decision.

Do people know who the current board are? - if not you should find out.

If you do know who they are - do you seriously think that such individuals would have no input in major decisions?

FitbaFolkKen
04-11-2013, 06:09 PM
My point is, their focus is soley on the money. The don't care if we're dire to watch, as long as they continue to keep things steady finanically.

The fact that we continue to more or less break even, despite the clubs loss of revenue from more and more fans failing to go to games, would suggest that they're cutting costs in order to do so.

The boards sole target is to break even. There doesn't seem to be any targets set beyond that of the accounts.

My point is that your point is ludicrous and lacking in facts. Our turnover was up £1.1 million on the previous set of accounts, Pat had plenty to spend. Surely they could have just saved that money instead of investing it in the team. Do you honestly think that the board hand over this money for transfers/wages and don't tell the manager what they expect for the season?

The fact that the team hasn't been performing is not down to a lack of targets it is down to not having the right personnel to achieve targets which is entirely different. The reason Pat is unemployed this morning.

I genuinely cannot believe that anyone thinks that anyone who part owns a football club wants it to not be entertaining and is happy for it to lose fans as long as it breaks even. We credit our board for being excellent financially but anyone who has worked in business knows fine well it is far easier to turn profit if the customer is spending more money than less money. It would be naive to think that the board don't realise a winning, entertaining team would result in more money for Hibernian FC.

AngusHibby
04-11-2013, 06:13 PM
If Petrie hires Terry Butcher, can he be blamed? He's who the majority of the fans want

Sir David Gray
04-11-2013, 08:04 PM
Does it matter? The last 9 managers have been welcomed by the majority of the fans who in large were mostly happy about the appointments.

There's something that happens at the club after the appointments that's holding us back. That's what needs addressing.

Yep. :agree:

hibbymick
04-11-2013, 08:27 PM
By Rod...do you mean' Rod'...or 'the board'? Not picking on your post particularly, but there are a number who either support 'Rod' or don't support 'Rod'...when in fact its a board decision.

Do people know who the current board are? - if not you should find out.

If you do know who they are - do you seriously think that such individuals would have no input in major decisions?

Ive spoken to a board member before who says Rod has the FINAL decision when hiring a manager.:agree:

Sir David Gray
04-11-2013, 08:52 PM
Ive spoken to a board member before who says Rod has the FINAL decision when hiring a manager.:agree:

So he should - he's the chairman of the football club.

Which is why the buck should stop with him when we continually under achieve and the fact that we're onto manager number seven in under a decade.

The Sea-gull
05-11-2013, 09:04 AM

I know that the majority of fans did back the appointment Fenlon but I never got why. Most had probably never heard of him other than him being the guy Dundee Utd couldn't agree terms with a couple of years before. I never wanted him because of his CV. could not care less how many leagues and cups he had won in Ireland.

Also disagree that we as a club have always made the right appointment on paper. Since Alex Miller:-

Duffy - Didn't have experience at a high enough level and it told. I personally did not agree with this one and the board got it wrong.

McLeish - The man we should have got instead of Duffy and I am certain we would not have a relegation on our CV. Right man on paper and in practice.

Williamson - Had done a good job in the SPL at another club so was the right man in theory but was a failure really though he did have the most difficult time in terms of finances.

Mowbray - No experience but was a gamble that paid off. Was ridiculed as an appointment by the fans of other clubs, the media and our own fans - myself included. Lots of us got that one wrong but the board got it right.

Collins - Again no experience but because he talked the talk and was a Hibs legend was universally welcomed by all but not ordinarily the type of appointment we should go for. Mixed time really.

Mixu - Didn't have enough top level experience and it told. Would be interested to see how he would do now but wrong man chosen at the time.

Yogi - Had done well in the SPL and was the right choice at the time. Another one who had a mixed time.

Calderwood - I see what the board tried to do in getting someone from outwith Scottish football. He had done ok in at an ok level in England but hadn't managed for a little while and it was telling how Forest fans rate him as a coach but not a manager. He wasn't my personal choice and was a total failure.

Fenlon - No. No No. No. No. WTF were they thinking. Lets hope we never appoint someone so obviously out of their depth ever again.

I can't actually believe it but that is 17 years worth of managers, 9 in total showing we go through a manger less than every two years. It's not really an exact science either. For example, you go for someone who has done well in the SPL and you can get a success like McLeish, a mixed bag like Yogi or ultimate failures Williamson.

Likewise you go for an up and coming young man with little or no experience and you get a success like Mowbray, a mixed bag like Collins/Mixu and an absolute failure in Duffy.

Then there is the appointments from outwith the Scottish scene but, barring Duffy, Calderwood and Fenlon must be seen as the biggest gambles and biggest dissappointments we have had.

My own view remain that the safest bet is to go for someone from your own league though as we have seen it doesn't always work. That said, I only feel that in this 17 year period we have had two managerial appointments which could really be termed successful - McLeish and Mowbray. 2 from 9 over 17 years. Poor.

The Sea-gull
05-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Just lifted this from an article:-

"Petrie has been responsible for too many ill-starred appointments and needs to get the next one right."

I am sure there are many statements like this in other articles. I think it is a meaningless statement as it has been used every time we have needed a manager since Mixu left in 2009.

Petrie's job is safe as he has done a good job with the finances. No point in saying things like the above as I believe he is here to stay almost no matter what.

We have just got ot hope that he and the board do get it right. Only 2 out 9 absolute succesful appointments in 17 years (I know he has not been the big boss all this time but he has been around) are not good odds but maybe he is due one!

JimBHibees
05-11-2013, 09:36 AM

Tend to agree I think I could see sense in all of the managers that have been brought in however the problems seem to be after that whether that be working relationships or a lack of leadership I wouldnt know. In saying that not too many of the managers chosen have gone on to do anything remarkable elsewhere.

down-the-slope
05-11-2013, 10:10 AM

I have heard different - but I guess it depends on how you take the work 'Final' - chairmen will generally have a casting vote. Also lets say you have a remuneration committee who do the leg work - then they would recommend to a full board....very very rarely would such a recommendation not be accepted.. (so you could argue that remuneration committee makes the decision - but that would be disingenuous)

I'm pretty sure Rod will be part of the 'recruitment committee' which will recommend to the full board....

The Sea-gull
05-11-2013, 12:55 PM
I know that the majority of fans did back the appointment Fenlon but I never got why. Most had probably never heard of him other than him being the guy Dundee Utd couldn't agree terms with a couple of years before. I never wanted him because of his CV. could not care less how many leagues and cups he had won in Ireland.

Also disagree that we as a club have always made the right appointment on paper. Since Alex Miller:-

Duffy - Didn't have experience at a high enough level and it told. I personally did not agree with this one and the board got it wrong.

McLeish - The man we should have got instead of Duffy and I am certain we would not have a relegation on our CV. Right man on paper and in practice.

Williamson - Had done a good job in the SPL at another club so was the right man in theory but was a failure really though he did have the most difficult time in terms of finances.

Mowbray - No experience but was a gamble that paid off. Was ridiculed as an appointment by the fans of other clubs, the media and our own fans - myself included. Lots of us got that one wrong but the board got it right.

Collins - Again no experience but because he talked the talk and was a Hibs legend was universally welcomed by all but not ordinarily the type of appointment we should go for. Mixed time really.

Mixu - Didn't have enough top level experience and it told. Would be interested to see how he would do now but wrong man chosen at the time.

Yogi - Had done well in the SPL and was the right choice at the time. Another one who had a mixed time.

Calderwood - I see what the board tried to do in getting someone from outwith Scottish football. He had done ok in at an ok level in England but hadn't managed for a little while and it was telling how Forest fans rate him as a coach but not a manager. He wasn't my personal choice and was a total failure.

Fenlon - No. No No. No. No. WTF were they thinking. Lets hope we never appoint someone so obviously out of their depth ever again.

I can't actually believe it but that is 17 years worth of managers, 9 in total showing we go through a manger less than every two years. It's not really an exact science either. For example, you go for someone who has done well in the SPL and you can get a success like McLeish, a mixed bag like Yogi or ultimate failures Williamson.

Likewise you go for an up and coming young man with little or no experience and you get a success like Mowbray, a mixed bag like Collins/Mixu and an absolute failure in Duffy.

Then there is the appointments from outwith the Scottish scene but, barring Duffy, Calderwood and Fenlon must be seen as the biggest gambles and biggest dissappointments we have had.

My own view remain that the safest bet is to go for someone from your own league though as we have seen it doesn't always work. That said, I only feel that in this 17 year period we have had two managerial appointments which could really be termed successful - McLeish and Mowbray. 2 from 9 over 17 years. Poor.

Ha ha. Just realised I forgot about Sauzee in all that. Maybe it is best just to remember him as a player. Make that 2 genuinely successful managers from 10 then!

stantonhibby
05-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Ha ha. Just realised I forgot about Sauzee in all that. Maybe it is best just to remember him as a player. Make that 2 genuinely successful managers from 10 then!

Dont disagree with most of that but I think any trophy winning Hibs manager is a success in my eyes .

Liberal Hibby
05-11-2013, 01:22 PM

This is in danger of becoming a Hibs.net FACT. More people are watching Hibs now than under Calderwood:

2011/12

24/07/2011 0-2 Vs Celtic in Scottish League = 12,523
20/08/2011 1-2 Vs St Mirren in Scottish League = 8,886
11/09/2011 0-0 Vs Aberdeen in Scottish League = 8,972
24/09/2011 3-3 Vs Dundee United in Scottish League = 9,360
28/09/2011 3-2 Vs St Johnstone in Scottish League = 8,323
15/10/2011 0-0 Vs Motherwell in Scottish League = 8,518
05/11/2011 0-1 Vs Dunfermline Athletic in Scottish League = 9,531

Calderwood sacked

2013/14

04/08/2013 0-1 Vs Motherwell in Scottish League = 9,237 (+719)
17/08/2013 1-1 Vs Dundee United in Scottish League = 9,171 (-189)
31/08/2013 0-0 Vs Ross County in Scottish League = 9,569
21/09/2013 2-0 Vs St Mirren in Scottish League = 9,417 (+531)
19/10/2013 1-1 Vs Celtic in Scottish League = 14,220 (+1,693)
26/10/2013 0-2 Vs Aberdeen in Scottish League = 12,810 (+3,832)

Fenlon resigns

Treadstone
05-11-2013, 01:26 PM
This is in danger of becoming a Hibs.net FACT. More people are watching Hibs now than under Calderwood:

But less than at any other time since Williamson.

Hibercelona
05-11-2013, 01:36 PM

2011/12

24/07/2011 0-2 Vs Celtic in Scottish League = 12,523
20/08/2011 1-2 Vs St Mirren in Scottish League = 8,886
11/09/2011 0-0 Vs Aberdeen in Scottish League = 8,972
24/09/2011 3-3 Vs Dundee United in Scottish League = 9,360
28/09/2011 3-2 Vs St Johnstone in Scottish League = 8,323
15/10/2011 0-0 Vs Motherwell in Scottish League = 8,518
05/11/2011 0-1 Vs Dunfermline Athletic in Scottish League = 9,531

Calderwood sacked

2013/14

04/08/2013 0-1 Vs Motherwell in Scottish League = 9,237 (+719)
17/08/2013 1-1 Vs Dundee United in Scottish League = 9,171 (-189)
31/08/2013 0-0 Vs Ross County in Scottish League = 9,569
21/09/2013 2-0 Vs St Mirren in Scottish League = 9,417 (+531)
19/10/2013 1-1 Vs Celtic in Scottish League = 14,220 (+1,693)
26/10/2013 0-2 Vs Aberdeen in Scottish League = 12,810 (+3,832)

Fenlon resigns

24/07/2011 0-2 Vs Celtic in Scottish League = 12,523 (Early Sunday Game)
19/10/2013 1-1 Vs Celtic in Scottish League = 14,220 (3PM Saturday Game)

11/09/2011 0-0 Vs Aberdeen in Scottish League = 8,972 (Early Sunday Game)
26/10/2013 0-2 Vs Aberdeen in Scottish League = 12,810 (3PM Saturday Game)

It's easy to say that more people are watching Hibs now than then when you selectively pick out and miss out certain details.

JimBHibees
05-11-2013, 01:46 PM

It's easy to say that more people are watching Hibs now than then when you selectively pick out and miss out certain details.

Was an early Saturday tv game.

FitbaFolkKen
05-11-2013, 01:52 PM

Like you did when discussing reduced gates, falling turnover and cost cutting earlier in this thread, despite our turnover increasing by 1.1 million on the previous year?

Liberal Hibby
05-11-2013, 01:55 PM

Nothing selective about them - they are the corresponding fixtures from the two managerial reigns.

But why let facts get in the way of a good moan?

Treadstone
05-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Lowest home attendance
6,923 v Inverness CT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverness_Caledonian_Thistle_F.C.)
(28 December 2011)

Davy Mac
05-11-2013, 10:33 PM
If Petrie hires Terry Butcher, can he be blamed? He's who the majority of the fans want

I get where you are coming from but I wonder what Petrie says in these interviews.

Does he say he will have a bit to spend then change his mind, does Rodder's go quiet on him after he is appointed, does Rodney hang about like a bad smell and micro manage the Manager, does he chit chat to the troops whilst the Manager gets very little visible support?

In my experience you appoint someone who you believe can do the job but if you can't trust them, not convinced by them and you are a control freak then I think most of the Managers get hacked off and either resign, get sacked or can't wait to move on to bigger and better things.

The infrastructure is in place so it's down to the Manager and the support of the board and I don't necessarily mean money.

jacomo
06-11-2013, 12:04 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gordon-waddell--rod-petrie-2671522

Thanks for the link, I know it's the Daily Record but that is a very good article. Very plausible explanation of the situation at Hibs I think.

cad
06-11-2013, 12:49 AM

Spot on mate, with Rods record and Lindsay having to ask Potter ,does anybody on the Hibs board have any idea what to look for in a football manager apart from affordability.

Butcher to me is just a guy who`s going through a wee purple patch at ICT with not a very good CV Brentford, Motherwell Dubai Australia and the rest ,hes only improved with Malpas at his side which I think is the most important thing in this appointment if it goes through .

As for the next manager ,Hibs need help in this area , sticking to what our board knows suggests finance is their strong point with Rods leadership picking football managers isn't , there in lies the problem a football club with no idea about football management its like Kwikfit having the best exhausts fitted by typists yer knackered before you start , the only thing you know is you can afford their wages but countless complaints and cars coming back would suggest its just a matter of time before they are for the off , just like our managers ,this is going to keep happening this managerial roundabout till we change the format , that involves Rod and if STF wants it changed which is another box of spanners entirely