PDA

View Full Version : John Brownlie

Wheat Hound
04-11-2013, 10:57 AM
According to The Sun (yes, I know) will be part of Terry Butchers coaching staff along with Malpas. Has JB worked with those two in the past and what are peoples thoughts on his potential place back at the club?

GordonHFC
04-11-2013, 11:01 AM
According to The Sun (yes, I know) will be part of Terry Butchers coaching staff along with Malpas. Has JB worked with those two in the past and what are peoples thoughts on his potential place back at the club?

Was sure I saw him in the crowd yesterday.

Lester B
04-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Probably fitter than Clancy.

TheFamous1875
04-11-2013, 11:22 AM
A poster mentioned on the match thread (I think) that they spoke with Onion at the match yesterday and that he was a great guy. Oh, to have been born 30 or so years earlier!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hibbyradge
04-11-2013, 11:27 AM
A poster mentioned on the match thread (I think) that they spoke with Onion at the match yesterday and that he was a great guy. Oh, to have been born 30 or so years earlier!

There is that, but at my age, I now wish I'd been born 30 years later! :greengrin

cleanyman
04-11-2013, 11:30 AM
I was speaking to him yesterday.

Didn't mention anything. Was chatting about book launches

Northernhibee
04-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Did really well managing Arbroath a few years back - would be a very good addition to the backroom staff.

Jim44
04-11-2013, 12:00 PM

Don't apologise. The Sun is probably as reliable a source of information amid the present wildfire speculation. Either Petrie or Butcher has been leaking info (unlikely IMHO) or folk like Chick Tongue are having a stab in the dark and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. Personally, I don't think Butcher will get the job or accept, if offered. I think the likes of McLeish or Mowbray are still up there with Butcher.

cabbageandribs1875
04-11-2013, 01:07 PM
arguably the best right back in British football....before he broke his leg playing against East Fife..., can still here the break to this day :(

HIBERNIAN-0762
04-11-2013, 01:50 PM
arguably the best right back in British football....before that east fife player broke his leg...the ****, can still here the break to this day :(

Ian Printy, I was in the center stand that day as a guest of a relative who worked at ER, horrific challenge that set the tone for the whole 90 minutes, ER erupted when Alan Gordon headed a late winner that day and at an after match drink inside the ground I went over to Pat Quinn who East Fife manager and said to him "you should hang your head in shame after that performance, an absolute disgrace" he just looked down and said nothing except a shrug. A once great Hibs player himself as well.

J-C
04-11-2013, 01:55 PM
arguably the best right back in British football....before that east fife player broke his leg...the ****, can still here the break to this day :(

Was voted best rb in europe I seem to remember, or maybe I dreamt that, whatever he was a wonderful talent at the time

Tom Hart RIP
04-11-2013, 01:59 PM
John Brownlie is a friend of Terry Butcher and scouts forthcoming opponents of Inverness. I don't know how they became friends as they obviously played in different eras. I spoke to John a few times when he visited Easter Road to prepare reports on Hibs.
I will be delighted if he us part of the new set up.

JPrinty
04-11-2013, 02:04 PM
Ian Printy, I was in the center stand that day as a guest of a relative who worked at ER, horrific challenge that set the tone for the whole 90 minutes, ER erupted when Alan Gordon headed a late winner that day and at an after match drink inside the ground I went over to Pat Quinn who East Fife manager and said to him "you should hang your head in shame after that performance, an absolute disgrace" he just looked down and said nothing except a shrug. A once great Hibs player himself as well.

Absolute nonsense and has been discussed on here many times - wasn't even given a free kick. It was a hard but fair challenge.

mim
04-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Absolute nonsense and has been discussed on here many times - wasn't even given a free kick. It was a hard but fair challenge.

That's how I remember it too

ShadesLongThrow
04-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Funny but I would have put money on it being Johnny Love who broke Onion's leg. Can still remember it vividly though. I also seem to recall before the challenge, Brownlie beat his man on the wing by back heeling it over his head and running past him. Classy player.

andudare2
04-11-2013, 04:43 PM
According to The Sun (yes, I know) will be part of Terry Butchers coaching staff along with Malpas. Has JB worked with those two in the past and what are peoples thoughts on his potential place back at the club?onion worked with jimmy nick&butcher at raith rovers. was my sons coach there.as was butcher .alex smith was there at same time.:flag:

cabbageandribs1875
04-11-2013, 05:06 PM

i couldn't even tell you who it was involved, or even the score at the end...all i remember was that crunch, right in front of what was the west lower nowadays :(

Was voted best rb in europe I seem to remember, or maybe I dreamt that, whatever he was a wonderful talent at the time

imagine how much we would get nowadays in transfer fees for Brownlie and Shades ? remember that run up from his own half (and the goal) against the buns at hampden...stunning :agree:

JPrinty[/SIZE];3794889]Absolute nonsense and has been discussed on here many times - wasn't even given a free kick. It was a hard but fair challenge.

any relation to the accused :dunno:

snooky
04-11-2013, 05:27 PM
i couldn't even tell you who it was involved, or even the score at the end...all i remember was that crunch, right in front of what was the west lower nowadays :(

imagine how much we would get nowadays in transfer fees for Brownlie and Shades ? remember that run up from his own half (and the goal) against the buns at hampden...stunning :agree:

Advert for Specsavers? :coffee:

legends of 73
04-11-2013, 05:31 PM
any relation to the accused :dunno:[/QUOTE]

:top marks:top marks

clerriehibs
04-11-2013, 05:47 PM
any relation to the accused :dunno:[/QUOTE]

Maybe he IS the accused?

Jonnyboy
04-11-2013, 06:40 PM

Sorry guys but that's just plain wrong. It was a hard challenge with both players going for the ball. Onion himself absolved Ian Printy of all blame.

Johnny Love has been mentioned. Now there's a guy worthy of being called a **** He kicked Edwards up and down the park and the ref let him do it

JPrinty
04-11-2013, 06:55 PM

:top marks:top marks[/QUOTE]

:wink:

JPrinty
04-11-2013, 06:57 PM

Maybe he IS the accused?[/QUOTE]

Not quite, son of

snooky
04-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Sorry guys but that's just plain wrong. It was a hard challenge with both players going for the ball. Onion himself absolved Ian Printy of all blame.

Johnny Love has been mentioned. Now there's a guy worthy of being called a **** He kicked Edwards up and down the park and the ref let him do it

Agree with both comments JB.

I think Love ended up playing for Lithgie Rose.
He kicked Edwards off the park and the ref did nothing.

Aye, those were the days when men were men - nae divers then :wink:

Adniston Burn
04-11-2013, 07:53 PM

Would love to see him involved at Easter Road. Was lucky enough to have him as a manager for four years and I can assure you he was a hard man to please.

Ozyhibby
04-11-2013, 08:03 PM

:-)

Speedway
04-11-2013, 08:04 PM

:-)

Hibercelona
04-11-2013, 08:08 PM

:-(

ANDY McGEECHAN
04-11-2013, 08:11 PM

Spot on Johnnyboy

HIBERNIAN-0762
04-11-2013, 08:26 PM

Really? that's your opinion of course, any relation are we?

MKHIBEE
04-11-2013, 08:31 PM

I was in the corner of the Albion Road/ East Terrace among a 17000 crowd and heard it. We will never know how good JB could have been, one of my favourite all time players

hfcok
04-11-2013, 08:33 PM

JB is just a scout for Caley,nothing else.

TheFamous1875
04-11-2013, 08:35 PM
I was in the corner of the Albion Road/ East Terrace among a 17000 crowd and heard it. We will never know how good JB could have been, one of my favourite all time players

How much 'worse' was he after the leg break? I'd like to know as my experience of a competent right back is Whittaker, and he's not arguably the best right back in Europe..

cabbageandribs1875
04-11-2013, 08:39 PM

you must have some hearing :greengrin

i said, you must have some hearing..

J-C
04-11-2013, 08:41 PM
How much 'worse' was he after the leg break? I'd like to know as my experience of a competent right back is Whittaker, and he's not arguably the best right back in Europe..

He was a wonderful RB, pace and guile, pretty sure voted best in Europe at one point, never the same after the break, it happens sometimes with players, nothing physical more a mental problem.

Jonnyboy
04-11-2013, 08:42 PM

Behave yersel

Hiber-nation
04-11-2013, 08:46 PM
Spot on Johnnyboy

It was indeed. I was standing about 6 feet away from it and it was a fair tackle. Johnny Love on the other hand....

JPrinty
04-11-2013, 09:10 PM

He's my dad but as most on this thread have confirmed it wasn't a horrific challenge and believe me nobody feels as bad as my dad does about what happened.

cabbageandribs1875
04-11-2013, 09:21 PM
He's my dad but as most on this thread have confirmed it wasn't a horrific challenge and believe me nobody feels as bad as my dad does about what happened.

i've amended my earlier post, apologies to yourself.....and your auld man :aok:

Jonnyboy
04-11-2013, 09:22 PM

Hibs class c&r :thumbsup:

JPrinty
04-11-2013, 09:24 PM

Cheers mate :flag:

Tom Hart RIP
05-11-2013, 01:25 AM
Jimmy Orourke mentions the incident in a book and certainly attached no blame to Ian Printie whom he describes as a nice laddie from Clermiston and a good Hibby.
My memory is that John simply overran the ball and stretched to get it back.

KWJ
05-11-2013, 04:00 AM

Unlike Brian Martin's 'tackle' on Tom Smith. Awful.

Totally unrelated I ken, but brought it to mind.

Squealing pig
05-11-2013, 04:59 AM

Funniest post ever lol

PapillonVert
05-11-2013, 06:12 AM

Not only that but, IIRC, Mickey Edwards was served with a long ban soon after. I always believed that if these two things hadn't happened, the Tornadoes would have won the league that season instead of finishing second as they did. They were absolutely flying at the time.

Would be wonderful to see Onion back at ER. Happy memories.

MKHIBEE
05-11-2013, 06:32 AM
you must have some hearing :greengrin

i said, you must have some hearing..

,Your right I have some hearing, not very much but some!

greenpaper55
05-11-2013, 06:55 AM
Unlike Brian Martin's 'tackle' on Tom Smith. Awful.

Totally unrelated I ken, but brought it to mind.

Worst i ever saw was big John Hughes of Celtic break Bobby Duncans leg, he just run up behind Bobby after he had lost the ball to him and kicked him, if he had done it in the street he would have been arrested.

Smiggy 7-0
05-11-2013, 06:57 AM
I was in the corner of the Albion Road/ East Terrace among a 17000 crowd and heard it. We will never know how good JB could have been, one of my favourite all time players Was in same area and heard it too.

lapsedhibee
05-11-2013, 07:20 AM
Worst i ever saw was big John Hughes of Celtic break Bobby Duncans leg, he just run up behind Bobby after he had lost the ball to him and kicked him, if he had done it in the street he would have been arrested.

As Scott Brown alluded to shortly after he joined Celtc, once you're there you can do anything you want and the most that will happen is that the ref has a quiet word with you.

Ray_
05-11-2013, 07:29 AM
Not only that but, IIRC, Mickey Edwards was served with a long ban soon after. I always believed that if these two things hadn't happened, the Tornadoes would have won the league that season instead of finishing second as they did. They were absolutely flying at the time.

Would be wonderful to see Onion back at ER. Happy memories.

They went in to almost free fall after that, played great twice against Rangers in the cup and Hadjuik at home for the first hour or so [4-0 up], in the final game we had introduced a few young players and were stuffed 3-0 by Celtic at ER, would could have been the league decider. We even let Rangers overtake us and we finished third, we were second the following two seasons.

Eternal Hibbie
05-11-2013, 07:37 AM
I was at both games when Brownlie and Duncan broke their legs and strangely enough although the incidents happened diagonally at opposite ends of the park both happened right in front of me.

There was nothing malicious in the Brownlie tackle, just really unfortunate but as mentioned in another post Bobby Duncan's leg break was an assault.

Duncan took the ball from Hughes, Celtic's 17st left winger who chased him and launched himself into the back of Duncan's legs.

If memory serves it caused a fair bit of crowd trouble.

Two brilliant right backs who never reached the heights again.

TornadoHibby
05-11-2013, 07:46 AM
Funny but I would have put money on it being Johnny Love who broke Onion's leg. Can still remember it vividly though. I also seem to recall before the challenge, Brownlie beat his man on the wing by back heeling it over his head and running past him. Classy player.

It was Johnny Love who I used to see quite regularly as we both used a City centre gym near our respective work places to try and stay in shape! :rolleyes:

Johnny, whilst a brash lad, was always clear, when the JB tackle was raised, to emphasise how sorry he was that it had happened but that it was a terrible and very unfortunate accident! :agree:

That is all!!

MKHIBEE
05-11-2013, 07:54 AM
Was in same area and heard it too.

I knew I wasn't just hearing things!!

khib70
05-11-2013, 08:29 AM
I was there and it's my opinion too. And I'm not related.....

mim
05-11-2013, 09:57 AM

Your dad was a decent player and certainly not a dirty player. Your grandad, however, was more than a decent snooker player, as I found out to my cost several times

JPrinty
05-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Your dad was a decent player and certainly not a dirty player. Your grandad, however, was more than a decent snooker player, as I found out to my cost several times

Wasn't aware he played snooker. Now I know why I'm so good! :wink:

Jonnyboy
05-11-2013, 02:37 PM
As others have said, the Hughes tackle on Bobby Duncan was criminal. Until that moment, Bobby was an outstanding right back with a bright future in the game. Hughes put an end to that and equally guilty in my book was the referee who took no action at all against that Celtic thug

banarc7062
05-11-2013, 03:48 PM

Still remember the sound of his leg break against East Fife....ahhhhh

Kato
05-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Mickey Edwards was served with a long ban soon after.

...and Blackley. And Stanton.