PDA

View Full Version : Zoubir

DJ HIBBY
04-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Hi Guys,

What's everyone thoughts so far on Zoubir? I missed his first few games when he was getting rave reviews but after watching our last few games, I am struggling to see what he brings to the party and looks way out of his depth at the moment. What has changed?

Scouse Hibee
04-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Hi Guys,

What's everyone thoughts so far on Zoubir? I missed his first few games when he was getting rave reviews but after watching our last few games, I am struggling to see what he brings to the party and looks way out of his depth at the moment. What has changed?

Nothing in my eyes!

The Sea-gull
04-11-2013, 11:12 AM
He's brought nothing to the table so far but hasn't really had much opportunity. Perhaps Pat hasn't played him in his natural position? Would hardly be a shock would it?

I think we should let the guy start a few games before we totally write him off. I don't know why but I suspect he might do okay wide in a front 3. Zoubir - Heff - Harris anyone? Worth a try?

southsider
04-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Seems to be a bit of a one trick pony.

scott7_0(Prague)
04-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Seems to be a bit of a one trick pony.

That's a whole lot of tricks more than some we have............

IanM
04-11-2013, 12:28 PM
I think he's shown what he can do in glimpses, he just does it all the time although I noticed after he lost the ball twice yesterday he was more inclined to release his passes earlier.

He reminds me of Sproule to an extent, he's got something but he needs to learn the game. Coming from a Fusbal background has clearly helped his ability but he needs learn more, which will come, but it's a tough time to be playing for Hibs just now and rightly should start the game on the bench.

I've noticed though regardless how 'strong' our bench kinda is there's been no impact with any changes so I'd give him the time to learn more about the game before we should expect more.

a new manager could have this kid working wonders

lobster
04-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Hi Guys,

From what i've seen so far he looks a quality footballer. First time I saw him play was against thistle and he was very impressive that night contributing decisively to the goal that won three points we barely deserved. He is still very young and adapting to our game so I wouldn't expect too much from him this early but the prospect of both him and Harris in the team is an exciting antidote to the dire stuff on show recently.

Kenbo
04-11-2013, 12:53 PM
This is my first post so go easy. Cumbernauld Hibee as well - thought I better get that fact out the road early :tin hat:. I saw Zoubir at St Johnstone when we won 2-1. He was on for the last 15 mins or so. I thought he showed flashes of being absolutely great. He was really entertaining to watch, everytime he got the ball it was exciting. Left the St Johnstone boys chasing shadows. Since then, match by match, he seems to have had his wings clipped. If I hadn't seen him in the earlier matches I wouldn't rate him too much based on his recent performances. I hope a creative and talented player like him isn't being numbed by the Scottish game or our coaching. In the St Johnstone match he was always playing in the right direction - towards the opponents goals, he was beating men and freeing up other players by drawing people to himself and he could control the ball with his first touch.

Sammy7nil
04-11-2013, 12:54 PM
When he came on against Hearts I think he got one pass.
I would like to seem get more of the ball before we judge him.

Stevie Reid
04-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Has ability but hasn't appeared to have much of an appetite for the game in his last few appearances. Much like Cairney, his lack of pace undermines his quick feet, meaning he can beat his man but doesn't manage to get away from him.

B.H.F.C
04-11-2013, 01:08 PM
Clearly has a bit of ability. Easily pushed of the ball a couple of times yesterday though.

Been here a couple of months now so needs to start showing a bit more IMO.

Paisley Hibby
04-11-2013, 01:31 PM
This is my first post so go easy. Cumbernauld Hibee as well - thought I better get that fact out the road early :tin hat:. I saw Zoubir at St Johnstone when we won 2-1. He was on for the last 15 mins or so. I thought he showed flashes of being absolutely great. He was really entertaining to watch, everytime he got the ball it was exciting. Left the St Johnstone boys chasing shadows. Since then, match by match, he seems to have had his wings clipped. If I hadn't seen him in the earlier matches I wouldn't rate him too much based on his recent performances. I hope a creative and talented player like him isn't being numbed by the Scottish game or our coaching. In the St Johnstone match he was always playing in the right direction - towards the opponents goals, he was beating men and freeing up other players by drawing people to himself and he could control the ball with his first touch.

Somebody has to come from Cumbernauld :)

I was at that game too and thought the same about him. Could he be another victim of the East Mains curse?

Hibercelona
04-11-2013, 02:11 PM
He's a winger being played in the middle of nowhere more often than not. He must be wondering why on earth he bothered.

Golden Bear
04-11-2013, 02:17 PM
He's a winger being played in the middle of nowhere more often than not. He must be wondering why on earth he bothered.

Yip.

It happens all too often.

green.and.white
04-11-2013, 02:17 PM
I like him, he has the bit of something we lack, however won't get the best of him out wide because he has 0 pace as was shown when we had a chance to counter against Aberdeen and he was fresh on the pitch and was sooo slow.

Id like to see him in the middle in front of Thomson and Robertson!

Hibercelona
04-11-2013, 02:20 PM
I like him, he has the bit of something we lack, however won't get the best of him out wide because he has 0 pace as was shown when we had a chance to counter against Aberdeen and he was fresh on the pitch and was sooo slow.

Id like to see him in the middle in front of Thomson and Robertson!

He hasn't been playing out wide though. :confused:

He was playing in the middle of nowhere against Aberdeen as well in that god awful 4-4-1-1 set up.

itslegaltender
04-11-2013, 02:32 PM
No pace, hates a tackle, likes to do the same trick. Great!

Waxy
04-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Had one good run against the yams.
From their penalty box back to the half way line.

Leishy1995
04-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Had one good run against the yams.
From their penalty box back to the half way line.

In Zoubir's mind he has two options

A. Fancy flick attempt then pass as I'm too slow

B. Run in a circle for twenty seconds before picking out our centre half.

Allant1981
04-11-2013, 02:52 PM
I dont rate him and said so on another thread a few weeks ago, apart from the odd 5 mins here and there he doesnt really add much to the game and if/when cairney and harris are fit i cant see him getting much game time

jacomo
04-11-2013, 02:59 PM
No pace, hates a tackle, likes to do the same trick. Great!

I dont rate him and said so on another thread a few weeks ago, apart from the odd 5 mins here and there he doesnt really add much to the game and if/when cairney and harris are fit i cant see him getting much game time

As a replacement for Wotherspoon in the squad he seems to be doing quite well. :wink:

Andy74
04-11-2013, 03:03 PM
We have some really awful fans.

BVB Hibs
04-11-2013, 03:09 PM
He's young and I think he'll get better. My biggest gripe is the fact that after he's beaten a player, he'll either pass it sideways, or look for another player to do the exact same piece of skill against. If he was to beat a player, and then go forwards he's be a really, really good player. By going sideways or taking on a second player, he allows the players he's taken out right back into the game. There's been times when he's done this really well, but not quite enough for my liking yet. It's a small switch though, and hopefully a new manager can work with him to turn him into the player he's capable of being.

Pretty Boy
04-11-2013, 03:12 PM
He looked far more direct in his 1st couple of games and seemed far more willing to beat a man.

The last 2 or 3 games he's appeared in he seems to be looking to cut back on himself a lot more or trying to look inside to offload the ball. Similar happened with Harris.

Maybe been told to alter the way he plays?

green.and.white
04-11-2013, 03:19 PM
He hasn't been playing out wide though. :confused:

He was playing in the middle of nowhere against Aberdeen as well in that god awful 4-4-1-1 set up.

He was put out wide against Aberdeen and when he came on up in Inverness and was quiet due to no pace = no threat out wide He kept trying to come inside but didn't make an impact. Only time I've seen him through the middle was against Celtic but he offered little probably because it was Celtic.

Stevie Reid
04-11-2013, 03:21 PM
He looked far more direct in his 1st couple of games and seemed far more willing to beat a man.

The last 2 or 3 games he's appeared in he seems to be looking to cut back on himself a lot more or trying to look inside to offload the ball. Similar happened with Harris.

Maybe been told to alter the way he plays?

Don't recall that with Harris at all, who was pacey and direct in all games he was involved in, apart from the Celtic cup final and Malmo games, where he was well marshalled. He had a mare in the 1st half of our opening game against Well, he couldn't beat his man at all, but he still kept trying to do so.

jacomo
04-11-2013, 03:35 PM

Thanks!

:aok:

Scouse Hibee
04-11-2013, 04:04 PM

We also have some awful players, Zoubir being one of them!

Allant1981
04-11-2013, 04:06 PM

Why? Because we dont rate a player, during the game he will get my support the same as any other player but doesnt mean i think he is a good player

hibsbollah
04-11-2013, 04:25 PM
I notice that people attending games and in the pub afterwards are more supportive of Zoubir than a lot of the posts on hibs net suggest. Whether thats because season ticket holders are more likely to like entertainer types who do something out of the ordinary, or just see more games, or see things he does off the ball that cameras dont pick up, or this place has a significant minority of trolls and torn faced disasters, I dont know.

Whatever, writing a player off after about 6 games, especially when that player has been playing in a system that we almost all agree has been a dismal failure, is beyond stupid.

Allant1981
04-11-2013, 04:30 PM
I notice that people attending games and in the pub afterwards are more supportive of Zoubir than a lot of the posts on hibs net suggest. Whether thats because season ticket holders are more likely to like entertainer types who do something out of the ordinary, or just see more games, or see things he does off the ball that cameras dont pick up, or this place has a significant minority of trolls and torn faced disasters, I dont know.

Whatever, writing a player off after about 6 games, especially when that player has been playing in a system that we almost all agree has been a dismal failure, is beyond stupid.

What does it matter if you have a season ticket or not, i dont but have been to every game bar 1 this season and i dont think he is that good, hopefully he will come good but at this moment in time he doesnt do it for me

Scouse Hibee
04-11-2013, 04:36 PM

I attend games, have a season ticket, go the pub afterwards and don't rate him at all. I must be beyond stupid :thumbsup:

hibsbollah
04-11-2013, 05:00 PM
I attend games, have a season ticket, go the pub afterwards and don't rate him at all. I must be beyond stupid :thumbsup:

If youve actually written him off already, then yeah, id say you are beyond stupid.

Green Fish
04-11-2013, 05:07 PM
A young boy in a strange country a playing in games he'. Not accustomed to. Give him time

ShadesLongThrow
04-11-2013, 05:12 PM
The French Jamie McCluskey. Not necessarily a bad thing but only in a confident team. Which we're definitely not!

weonlywon6-2
04-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Having read some of the post on here we seem to expect great things from our players from day one.Zoubir is young and ,playing
in a foreign country .

Lets just support the lad and give him a chance

weonlywon6-2
04-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Having read some of the post on here we seem to expect great things from our players from day one.Zoubir is young,playing in a foreign country ,we need to give him a chance.

Lets just support the lad and give him a chance

Kenbo
04-11-2013, 06:03 PM
He did produce great things on day one, I just wish he still was. Fingers crossed the new manager will get that flair back about him and encourage him to do what he is good at.

NadeAteMyLunch!
04-11-2013, 07:05 PM
His 10 minute cameo at home against St Mirren was incredible!! Not been that excited about a player for yrs. Sadly, he's played about another 250 minutes since and done absolutely nowt

greenlex
04-11-2013, 07:10 PM
I get the feeling his contract will be cancelled in January and he will return to France. I dont think he is suited to Scottish football. You need more than skill.

Jonnyboy
04-11-2013, 07:21 PM
When I saw the thread title I cringed because it was always going to be the case that some would take the opportunity to slate him.

He has skill, that should be a given even from his harshest critics. He has the ability to excite. He's been hot and cold in the few chances he's had.

Claros was widely written off soon after he arrived

Robertson was widely written off soon after he arrived

Let's see if the new gaffer fancies the laddie and give him a chance to win over his critics

hibee_nation
04-11-2013, 07:53 PM

:hmmm: you might be on to something there :greengrin

Sir David Gray
04-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Said on another thread last night that I would put him into the EoS team for a few weeks to see how he copes.

In the times I have seen him, he is dispossessed far too easily, which is very disappointing.

Still plenty of time for him to show what he can do but I've not been overly impressed so far.

stantonhibby
04-11-2013, 08:18 PM
When I saw the thread title I cringed because it was always going to be the case that some would take the opportunity to slate him.

He has skill, that should be a given even from his harshest critics. He has the ability to excite. He's been hot and cold in the few chances he's had.

Let's see if the new gaffer fancies the laddie and give him a chance to win over his critics

Indeed Claros took a while

stantonhibby
04-11-2013, 08:20 PM

Indeed - Claros took a while to settle and he was an experienced player and established international. Zoubir is just a laddie.

The Utility Man
04-11-2013, 08:39 PM
The boy is the kind of player you bring on when you're winning and you want someone to take the mick out if the opponents.

Definitely someone who at the moment is much more effective coming off the bench but who knows IF we start winning games this could change, another one of those confidence players.

Centre Hawf
04-11-2013, 10:39 PM
a 21 year old laddie who has just moved to a foreign country, played in a system we deemed unsuccessful and by the looks of it out of position and he's been written off. But yet the argument for Collins is he's young and inexperienced? :aok:

500miles
04-11-2013, 10:54 PM

I think it's because people who enjoy taking to the soapbox on an internet forum are more likely to be hyper critical.

People in pubs are far less likely to pretend to be experts.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-11-2013, 11:07 PM

Depressing. Something needs to give. Lineker shines a light from a wider perspective.

http://www.newstatesman.com/2013/10/pushy-parents-screaming-abuse-sidelines-are-killing-their-kids-love-football

monktonharp
04-11-2013, 11:12 PM
Hi Guys,

What's everyone thoughts so far on Zoubir? I missed his first few games when he was getting rave reviews but after watching our last few games, I am struggling to see what he brings to the party and looks way out of his depth at the moment. What has changed? canny take to this guy attall, he shy's out of challenges and when he gets a free run with the ball, with a man to beat before he's in on goal,, he stops!

Itsnoteasy
04-11-2013, 11:17 PM
We also have some awful players, Zoubir being one of them!

He is *****. Played most or all of the game against celtic. Passenger

matty_f
04-11-2013, 11:21 PM

In his interview he said he can play anywhere along the front line (including, I assume, on the wings). He didn't think he was specifically a winger.

I don't think he'll be wondering why he bothered at all, with that in mind.

Scouse Hibee
05-11-2013, 08:18 AM
If youve actually written him off already, then yeah, id say you are beyond stupid.

:wink: Or have an eye for a player or not a player as is the case here..................we will see. :greengrin

gegs70
05-11-2013, 09:24 AM
Technically he seems very good however he doesnt seem to have as much pace and iften wont try for the 50/50 balls. The whole hibs team seems to suffer a complete lack of pace.

Finbar
05-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Talented player but maybe needs to toughen up a bit, we could send him out on loan for a year... Oh, wait.

Brightside
05-11-2013, 01:18 PM
He had a positive start but it would appear he has had his wings clipped a little. I'd rather he went back to being a bit greedy and having a dig at goal. I'd actually give him a go upfront.

brian6-2
05-11-2013, 01:56 PM
A young boy in a strange country a playing in games he'. Not accustomed to. Give him time

what does that mean? i dont understand...................

hibsbollah
05-11-2013, 01:57 PM
I think it's because people who enjoy taking to the soapbox on an internet forum are more likely to be hyper critical.

People in pubs are far less likely to pretend to be experts.

I think you might be right there.

brian6-2
05-11-2013, 02:00 PM
I think you might be right there.

see for someone thats been a member of this forum for 6 years and has nearly 11k posts you cant genuinley be serious that the penny is just dropping now that most of the stuff you read on here is complete pish.

And fwiw im not impressed with him either. totally bottled it out of a 50/50 with painted man in the derby.

hibsbollah
05-11-2013, 02:23 PM
see for someone thats been a member of this forum for 6 years and has nearly 11k posts you cant genuinley be serious that the penny is just dropping now that most of the stuff you read on here is complete pish.

And fwiw im not impressed with him either. totally bottled it out of a 50/50 with painted man in the derby.

Reading pish (and writing it) means I dont have to focus on real life. Hence the high post count :greengrin

In all seriousness though, opinions i read on here and opinions I hear at the ground itself are very different.

brian6-2
05-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Reading pish (and writing it) means I dont have to focus on real life. Hence the high post count :greengrin

In all seriousness though, opinions i read on here and opinions I hear at the ground itself are very different.

haha nice one :top marks

and i agree. you tend to get more sense whilst talking to people face to face. i would never take anything i read on here as gospel. quite the opposite in fact.

truehibernian
05-11-2013, 02:35 PM

The boy has just signed and it's right to give him time to get into the SPFL way of things bollah - there is no doubt tha lad has quick feet, quick mind and skills.

My worries come from two wee incidents in the Celtic and 'Well game. Against Celtic a ball broke out from a set piece (I think) and Zouby was away in space - but he was closed down so rapidly, again IIRC by Mulgrew, who had around 15 yards to make up on Zouby. The second was at the weekend when on two occasion he came inside and wasn't even forced off the ball, the 'Well guys simply leaned into him and he was dispossessed.

He looks like he would be a superb wee link up player, that kind of player that can thread a pass through the eye of a needle. Is he a true wide player - again I have doubts only down to pace, but if it means avoiding the physicality of a congested midfield, out wide is best given his frame.

I'd love to see Zoubir one side, Harris the other, with Liam and Robbo centrally, Thommo holding/sweeping - with Heffernan through the middle. With the squad of players we have I think that would be a cracking formation - but Zouby needs to be used carefully and wisely. You know on the other hand you can give Alex Harris the ball and he will be direct and take men on for fun. To have two wingers, both offering different skills, would be good to see.

hibsbollah
05-11-2013, 02:41 PM
The boy has just signed and it's right to give him time to get into the SPFL way of things bollah - there is no doubt tha lad has quick feet, quick mind and skills.

My worries come from two wee incidents in the Celtic and 'Well game. Against Celtic a ball broke out from a set piece (I think) and Zouby was away in space - but he was closed down so rapidly, again IIRC by Mulgrew, who had around 15 yards to make up on Zouby. The second was at the weekend when on two occasion he came inside and wasn't even forced off the ball, the 'Well guys simply leaned into him and he was dispossessed.

He looks like he would be a superb wee link up player, that kind of player that can thread a pass through the eye of a needle. Is he a true wide player - again I have doubts only down to pace, but if it means avoiding the physicality of a congested midfield, out wide is best given his frame.

I'd love to see Zoubir one side, Harris the other, with Liam and Robbo centrally, Thommo holding/sweeping - with Heffernan through the middle. With the squad of players we have I think that would be a cracking formation - but Zouby needs to be used carefully and wisely. You know on the other hand you can give Alex Harris the ball and he will be direct and take men on for fun. To have two wingers, both offering different skills, would be good to see.

I'd agree with that TH. One thing he doesnt seem to have is the sneaky ability to win a foul when hes getting muscled off the ball. Zemmama was excellent at that; not diving as such but when he realised he was going to lose the ball hed knock it sideways and put his body in ront of the defender. Zouby seems to have similar mad skills as Zemmama but is a bit more...naive maybe.

Jonnyboy
05-11-2013, 03:34 PM
I keep reading about his lack of pace and am curious as to who first said he had any? Could well be one of the infamous Hibs.net facts :wink:

Treadstone
05-11-2013, 03:38 PM
I keep reading about his lack of pace and am curious as to who first said he had any? Could well be one of the infamous Hibs.net facts :wink:

Just because you lack pace doesn't mean someone said you had some in the first place.

Jonnyboy
05-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Just because you lack pace doesn't mean someone said you had some in the first place.

I'm aware of that but there were countless posts on here when Zouby first arrived, declaring he was a pacy winger

J-C
05-11-2013, 03:43 PM
I'm aware of that but there were countless posts on here when Zouby first arrived, declaring he was a pacy winger

I think it may have been the numerous youtube clips showing him going past people with ease and scoring that made people think he was a pacy winger. certainly looked like one from those clips.

brian6-2
05-11-2013, 03:43 PM
I think it may have been the numerous youtube clips showing him going past people with ease and scoring that made people think he was a pacy winger. certainly looked like one from those clips.

most of these clips were taken from istres reserve games as well :agree:

truehibernian
05-11-2013, 03:49 PM

JB, I think Carson and Zoubit were opposites as wingers - Carson was/is direct and Zoubir may be in the 'Chris Waddle' mould of 'wingers' where his quick feet, fleet footedness gets him past a player.

Waddle always looked like he was towing a car tyre but had a marvellous ability to drag a ball past a player and gain yards and space. Zoubir strikes me as a player who can tantalise one minute, frustrate the next - but not a player that I think likes to get out wide - on his 'youtube clip' (which I know can't always be used to judge completely), a lot of his goals and creative chances come from dipping his shoulder and coming inside, or getting into the box more centrally.

It's a crying crying shame that Harris took a sore one first game of the season - I really think with two creative types in the side our football could be oh so very different - but in January I'd like an accomplished forward thinking right back (or using Andy Black) and a very pacy wide player who isn;t afraid to get to the byeline.

monktonharp
05-11-2013, 03:55 PM
haha nice one :top marks

and i agree. you tend to get more sense whilst talking to people face to face. i would never take anything i read on here as gospel. quite the opposite in fact.lets just wait for the comments made from the bbc journos(or whatever they think they are) before deciding the fate of this young frenchman:wink:

Jonnyboy
05-11-2013, 03:58 PM
JB, I think Carson and Zoubit were opposites as wingers - Carson was/is direct and Zoubir may be in the 'Chris Waddle' mould of 'wingers' where his quick feet, fleet footedness gets him past a player.

Waddle always looked like he was towing a car tyre but had a marvellous ability to drag a ball past a player and gain yards and space. Zoubir strikes me as a player who can tantalise one minute, frustrate the next - but not a player that I think likes to get out wide - on his 'youtube clip' (which I know can't always be used to judge completely), a lot of his goals and creative chances come from dipping his shoulder and coming inside, or getting into the box more centrally.

It's a crying crying shame that Harris took a sore one first game of the season - I really think with two creative types in the side our football could be oh so very different - but in January I'd like an accomplished forward thinking right back (or using Andy Black) and a very pacy wide player who isn;t afraid to get to the byeline.

Agree with most of this. I really like Andy Black but worry that early promotion into a struggling defence may have an adverse effect

truehibernian
05-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Agree with most of this. I really like Andy Black but worry that early promotion into a struggling defence may have an adverse effect

True JB but he would compliment Ryan on the other flank - Andy is a player I liked when I first saw him and the only reservation I had was height - but the lad has buckets of guts, workrate and effort - and isn't shy at getting up and down that line. He'd take the team forward, much like Ryan - then it's a question of the centre halves and defensive midfielder reading the game.

Jonnyboy
05-11-2013, 04:13 PM
True JB but he would compliment Ryan on the other flank - Andy is a player I liked when I first saw him and the only reservation I had was height - but the lad has buckets of guts, workrate and effort - and isn't shy at getting up and down that line. He'd take the team forward, much like Ryan - then it's a question of the centre halves and defensive midfielder reading the game.

Good points again :aok:

Itsnoteasy
06-11-2013, 10:11 PM

Did you see free kick from kujabi on you tube. We probably signed him from that clip. And how sheite was he.