PDA

View Full Version : If you had the ear of the new manager...

neil7908
03-11-2013, 03:26 PM
What would be the key issues or areas for improvement with the current side you would raise?

Dont know why but I feel frustrated at todays result, almost more so than the Hearts game in a weird way. That sounds daft but now that Fenlon's gone and without a new manager I'm not sure where to vent my anger! I think the fact that I've now watched us either live or on TV 3 games in a row without seeing a goal and its getting to me.

I'm hopeful for the new boss, Butcher or whoever it may be but I have a feeling we're not going to see a massive turnaround immediately.

My observations from not just today but our general play this season:

1) Thomson and Taiwo should never play together. I like both players but far too similar and should never be put next to each other. Doing so indicates our only ambition is to smother the game (something we end up failing at anyway most of the time).

2) McGivern is looking creaky and at the very least I think he needs some genuine competition at LB. He switches off in defence and offers very little going forward. My only hope is that I felt him and Harris combined well on occasion before the injury and looked like they could develop an understanding.

3) Speaking of Harris, how in Gods name could Fenlon assemble a squad with only one player who has pace or can play outwide? An an 18 year old with very little SPL experience at that. Major failure given the number of central midfielders we have and such a clear area where our team is lacking.

4) I keep hearing different things about Craig's preferred position for St Johnstone but in a Hibs jersey he is never a wide player and should be played through the centre. Doesn't have a turn of pace, crossing is poor and cant beat a man but get him the ball centrally within 25 yards of goal and he looks dangerous. Ditto for Robertson who is fast becoming our best player but cant keep getting played at right midfield.

5) Maybury has done well this season but we need a decent RB that is injury free and not in the final season of their career.

6) I cant recall a single time we won an attacking header from a cross, corner or free kick today - plenty of balls into the box but no one getting on the end. That may partly be to the poor delivery but its clear we dont have much of a presence in the air. Passing the ball well then becomes absolutely vital for the team

7) How generous a team are we? Not scored a goal yet for your club? Dont worry, your playing Hibs so step up Stephen McManus! New goalkeeper hasn't kept a clean sheet yet? No problem, guess who your opponents are today! Seriously though we seem to have a nasty habit of losing cheap, cheap goals and not learning our lesson (one of the chances Anier had today was nearly identical to the goal he scored at ER first game of the season - big aimless punt down the middle that he races onto almost unopposed)

NorthNorfolkHFC
03-11-2013, 03:30 PM
1) Addressing width

2) Picking a team properly

3) Setting a team up with appropriate tactics and structure

4) Playing players (when possible) in their best position EG. Robertson, Stevenson, Cairney, Craig et al

5) Continue to develop winning/tough mentality

Hibercelona
03-11-2013, 03:35 PM
What would be the key issues or areas for improvement with the current side you would raise?

For me, the biggest key issue that would have to be dealt with is our severe lack of pace down the flanks.

Currently LBs and RBs love playing against Hibs. We don't seem to play with any great deal of width. We don't play anybody outwide who is willing to try and turn defenders and either get into the box or to the byline.

There's no cutting edge to our play. Even when we carve out the odd chance, theres plenty of defenders back in numbers to make it difficult.

The biggest issue for Hibs at the moment is that we're just far too easy to stiffle.

greenlex
03-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Urgency

Stevie Reid
03-11-2013, 03:49 PM
The pace issue has been the biggest one for a long time now. It is doubly detrimental as it hampers our attacking ambitions and leaves us open to being exposed at the back. Augment the current squad with some pace on both sides and we'd be formidable.

Makaveli
03-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Fully agree about Thomson and Taiwo. For me that is one of our biggest problems.

I would add OTJ. We should only ever have one of those three in the team unless we're playing Celtc.

Bishop Hibee
03-11-2013, 04:49 PM
I'm no tactician but signing up Harris and Williams on long term deals is something to be done outside the transfer window.

cabbageandribs1875
03-11-2013, 04:55 PM
if i had the ear of the new manager, it would mean if he wore glasses they would fall off :(

Vini1875
03-11-2013, 05:00 PM
For me our problems stem from mental toughness and a winning attitude. Our players give up or try in fits and starts, but when it doesn't go well we stop trying. Talent is one thing and some of our players have it, but they all seem to be chicken hearted. There are a lot of SPFL players with less skill and more heart.

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-11-2013, 05:44 PM
Turn us into a team that makes our opponents worried when we have the ball.

pontius pilate
03-11-2013, 08:03 PM
1 Pride in the shirt, in the club, and the fans
2 intensity work rate closing down, challenges, having team mates back
3 belief have the confidence to go forward, we lose a goal get up dust down and push on, we score push on, believe I in yourself and you're team mates believe in the fans
4 the club it's ethos it's fans the community the passion the fight
5 sunshine on leith lets hear it more often at cup finals
If I had the managers ear that's what I'd ask him to say

Liams
03-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Have all the teams playinf the same style, ie u19 reserves ect