PDA

View Full Version : Our relationship with the media/press

Viva_Palmeiras
03-11-2013, 08:17 AM
I appreciate bigger fish to fry but Is it possible/desirable for us to change Hibs relationship with the media (for the better)?
Communications were acknowledged as needing improved (this was in relation to fans - which should be priority 1) time for new beginning?
We complain about getting bad press (and there's something to that) but what steps if any are the club taking to address...?

As an aside I see The Scotsman online have even taken to critiquing the Fenlon departure/tenure without having the decency to name the author...

truehibernian
03-11-2013, 10:56 AM
I appreciate bigger fish to fry but Is it possible/desirable for us to change Hibs relationship with the media (for the better)?
Communications were acknowledged as needing improved (this was in relation to fans - which should be priority 1) time for new beginning?
We complain about getting bad press (and there's something to that) but what steps if any are the club taking to address...?

As an aside I see The Scotsman online have even taken to critiquing the Fenlon departure/tenure without having the decency to name the author...

For me, Hibs are a side that the Beeb especially know they can 'kick' without there being too much fuss or 'comeback' because they know Rod and STF are detached and not likely to challenge them on what they discuss. It's that simple.

They 'tried' their best with The Rangers story, but they knew they would provoke fury amongst McCoist and Co so they never ever would 'go for the jugular'. Same with Celtic - Lennon gives good soundbites and press, isn't shy letting them know his feelings - neither is Lawell.

Hearts - there is no one to really ask because they haven't been decent enough journalists to go and find out. Instead they go for the 'soft approach' and laud Locke and what a 'difficult job' he has. They rely on fatty Brian to get 'the scoops' - which he doesn't because he is a sycophant to anything Hearts.

Hibs and Petrie need to be a lot stronger, far far more challenging of the press, and get in their faces when they are 'kicking us'.

For me it's that simple. Pat made veiled comments - not good enough. Get 'in about their mince' is how to fight back. You can do that really quite effectively so to get a message across. Of course, maybe Pat was under some kind of instruction not to take them on and concentrate on the football - who knows.

Football in Scotland is 'gagged' anyway - it baffles me how managers, players and refs can't speak their mind without fear or reprimand (about football related issues as long as it's not libellous or defaming).

Preston needs it tight, as does Richard Gordon - Tom English has gone from decent journo to being 'Sportsound-washed' and saying what he thinks people want to hear rather than be totally impartial.

Alfred E Newman
03-11-2013, 01:40 PM
I heard Tom English yesterday saying that in his opinion one of the reasons Fenlon left was because he had failed to cure the problem that existed in the dressing room when he arrived. In that case the problem must be Stevenson or Hanlon as I think they are the only ones left from the previous regime.
Utter crap as usual.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-11-2013, 02:06 PM
As I understand it, Hibs have a website where they post their news, information and interviews. The press can take information from it as long as they acknowledge the source. That way any spin on a story can be checked via the official outlet.
Also there are diaried press conferences.
I think being managerless might just shift the communication priority down a peg.

As i said there are bigger fish to fry but I do see the direction of the club (incorporating the managerial recruitment) and communication as complimentary.

Whilst we we have our own communication channel we are taking (seemingly) unchallenged batterings from others. There's a balance between becoming a slave to it and allowing the void to be filled by others.

Hibercelona
03-11-2013, 02:14 PM
In what way are the press "kicking us"? :confused:

They haven't said anything about us of late that I could really disagree with.

In fact, I think a lot of the press get their views from reading what fans have to say on here and other such websites.

Bishop Hibee
03-11-2013, 02:16 PM
We only have Craig Paterson and Murdo McLeod with Hibs connections on Radio Scotland. Paterson keeps the heid while McLeod whilst having a soft spot for Hibs is a Celtc fan. Hertz on the other hand have Preston, Robertson and Derek Fergushun who rant and rave in favour of Hertz at every opportunity and love a dig at Hibs. Imagine the furore if Paterson dished out some of their own medicine and said for example "wake up and smell the coffee, you're going bust"! He'd probably gat sacked. Doesn't help and I've stopped listening to the amateurish clowns on Sports Sound.

heretoday
03-11-2013, 03:40 PM
We only have Craig Paterson and Murdo McLeod with Hibs connections on Radio Scotland. Paterson keeps the heid while McLeod whilst having a soft spot for Hibs is a Celtc fan. Hertz on the other hand have Preston, Robertson and Derek Fergushun who rant and rave in favour of Hertz at every opportunity and love a dig at Hibs. Imagine the furore if Paterson dished out some of their own medicine and said for example "wake up and smell the coffee, you're going bust"! He'd probably gat sacked. Doesn't help and I've stopped listening to the amateurish clowns on Sports Sound.

Robbo's ok.

Scottie
03-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Who gives a monkey's what the press think of us

All we should be concerned about is what happens to HIBS on the pitch and as supporters off it

As far as everyone else is concerned they can all f - off . They'll write what they like anyway.

Mon Dieu4
03-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Rightly or wrongly they have had it in for Hibs and Rod since he refused to sell Thomson and Brown for £2m combined

after that its been negative all the way in my opinion

Carheenlea
03-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Who gives a monkey's what the press think of us

All we should be concerned about is what happens to HIBS on the pitch and as supporters off it

As far as everyone else is concerned they can all f - off . They'll write what they like anyway.

How important is it really in these modern times to have a good relationship with the press? If I want to find out what`s happening with Hibs I can get it all here. I don`t know about everyone else`s habits but I don`t buy newspapers regularly nowadays, often get one on a Sunday but not through the week, and certainly not to read of any Hibs snippets that I will have already been made aware of after my morning cup of tea and toast and look at Hibs.net. It`s never nice to listen to radio presenters sticking the boot in to our club, but at the end of the day it doesn't have any real impact as it`s not going to affect how we play on the pitch or affect how many people come along to support the team.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Rightly or wrongly they have had it in for Hibs and Rod since he refused to sell Thomson and Brown for £2m combined

after that its been negative all the way in my opinion

Did any one spot the revisionistas on Sportsound yesterday (Jackson of all folks) saying that players are better off staying an extra few years rather than going for the big bucks...?

Treadstone
03-11-2013, 04:52 PM
The media in Scotland is a joke. Guaranteed English and Jackson have never seen Hibs in the flesh unless its a cup final or involves the ugly sisters.
We have journalists who tweet about every issue in the game but sit in a radio/TV studio on a Saturday afternoon rather than take in a game live.
A better relationship with the media is desirable but not essential. I'd rather they wrote more interesting stories about the club(s) which they could but they choose to pander to the lowest common denominator (transfer speculation, non-existent spats etc).

Viva_Palmeiras
03-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Ok. Lets try this one on for size...

The players revolt story. To my understanding never fully put to bed by Hibs and the void has been filled by the media and on the postings of this forum which in turn helps folks form a view one way or another.

I choose this story in particular as many cite this as one of the key failings of Rod/Management. It was pretty damaging IMO and yet afaik went unchallenged. I guess we are left to assume that the version of events the media portrayed is correct?

Although we have our own channels now the horse has bolted and well unlikely hear from Hibs on it yet the media will play their version back to us as if gospel. Hibs just leave themselves open to further abuse...

"This aggression will not stand, man. " - The Dude The Big Lebowski
"This is not like Nam... there are rules"

seanshow
03-11-2013, 05:19 PM
"This aggression will not stand, man. " - The Dude The Big Lebowski
"This is not like Nam... there are rules"

The press do tend to lack respect towards the club, as the Club is seen as a closed shop.

Damn Rug pee'ers

Viva_Palmeiras
03-11-2013, 05:36 PM
The press do tend to lack respect towards the club, as the Club is seen as a closed shop.

Damn Rug pee'ers

The Irishman is not the issue here...

God Petrie
03-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Richard Gordon soils himself with excitement if Hibs lose. Sorry dick for horsing your wee team out the cup two years on the bounce. Rrrrrright up ye.

Carheenlea
03-11-2013, 05:57 PM
Richard Gordon soils himself with excitement if Hibs lose. Sorry dick for horsing your wee team out the cup two years on the bounce. Rrrrrright up ye.

Richard Gordon mentioned a while ago that he used to get his Dad to take him to watch Hibs in the early 70's. Despite being an Aberdeen fan he was an admirer of that Hibs team as a kid, so I'd doubt he has any hatred towards us. I think we have a tendency to only note negative comments about us and disregard the positive ones when they do come our way.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Richard Gordon mentioned a while ago that he used to get his Dad to take him to watch Hibs in the early 70's. Despite being an Aberdeen fan he was an admirer of that Hibs team as a kid, so I'd doubt he has any hatred towards us. I think we have a tendency to only note negative comments about us and disregard the positive ones when they do come our way.

In fairness to Richard I do believe he first used the term "eye bleeding" football in relation to a Hearts match - a phrase that never really caught on much ;)

ancient hibee
03-11-2013, 06:26 PM
I'm not really paranoid but...........................

in the Scotsman match report on Thursday they listed the players of both teams and gave them marks.In the Hibs column the yellow and red cards were all listed against the relevant player.Strangely enough none of the 5/6 Hearts bookings were listed or referred to in the report.