PDA

View Full Version : Michael Stewart's comments

Golden Bear
02-11-2013, 05:11 PM
I've never been a fan of this guy but he's just been given a fair bit of air time on Radio Scotland regarding the circumstances behind Fenlon's departure, the candidates to be his successor, the abilities of the current playing squad and his views on Sir Tom, RP and the Board in general.

Surprisingly his thoughts were very much in keeping with the majority of the posters on this messageboard. He thought that:-

Fenlon was not an insprirational Manager and he failed to get the best out of his players.

Why spend £200k on a target striker like Collins then fail to provide him with any service from the wide areas?

Boozy should be part of the new regime as his enthusiasm, coaching abilities and knowledge of the game in general is invaluable.

The playing squad was generally perceived to be weak -------------- not so much ability wise but more their mental application.

He previously mentioned Peter Grant as being a possible candidate to be the new Manager ------------- this was purely a personal opinion and not based on anything in particular.

The Hibernian job is an attractive one and they'll not be short of ambitious candidates.

He reckons a new Manager could improve performances fairly quickly with the playing resources that are already in place.

All in all --------------the guy talked a lot of common sense and I never thought I'd ever say that about Stewart.

Dibben
02-11-2013, 05:13 PM
He seems to be a bit like Marmite to Hibs fans.

Personnally, I think he talks a lot of sense!

Viva_Palmeiras
02-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Maybe he should throw his hat into the ring - after-all he saved the best part of his playing-side career for Hibs.

rcarter1
02-11-2013, 05:16 PM
I've never been a fan of this guy but he's just been given a fair bit of air time on Radio Scotland regarding the circumstances behind Fenlon's departure, the candidates to be his successor, the abilities of the current playing squad and his views on Sir Tom, RP and the Board in general.

Surprisingly his thoughts were very much in keeping with the majority of the posters on this messageboard. He thought that:-

Fenlon was not an insprirational Manager and he failed to get the best out of his players.

Why spend £200k on a target striker like Collins then fail to provide him with any service from the wide areas?

Boozy should be part of the new regime as his enthusiasm, coaching abilities and knowledge of the game in general is invaluable.

The playing squad was generally perceived to be weak -------------- not so much ability wise but more their mental application.

He previously mentioned Peter Grant as being a possible candidate to be the new Manager ------------- this was purely a personal opinion and not based on anything in particular.

The Hibernian job is an attractive one and they'll not be short of ambitious candidates.

He reckons a new Manager could improve performances fairly quickly with the playing resources that are already in place.

All in all --------------the guy talked a lot of common sense and I never thought I'd ever say that about Stewart.

The enthusiasm is certainly not in question, watch the Hibs TV coverage of the game on wednesday (first 30 minutes), and he is worth the subscription fee alone. Belting.

Winston Ingram

I think he's excellent. Always seemed fairly impartial & a nice change from the usual Old Firm arse lickers

Franck Stanton
Hmmmm..........guy posted on "Hibs Rumours" site a couple of weeks ago that Fenlon was for the chop and would be replaced with Peter Grant with Boozy as his No2. Would appear from above this may happen.

greenlex
02-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Hmmmm..........guy posted on "Hibs Rumours" site a couple of weeks ago that Fenlon was for the chop and would be replaced with Peter Grant with Boozy as his No2. Would appear from above this may happen.Aye cos he heard Stewart talking out loud.

The Sea-gull
02-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Like him. Always gives his honest opinion and have agreed with most of what he has said on Fenlon.

Despite being goaded many times by Kenny McIntyre he has never said anything disrespectful or negative about his time at Hibs.

Seems to talk a lot of sense about tactics etc.

Wonder if he would have the balls to walk the walk as well as talking the talk and join Tony Mowbray and Boozy as Hibs new management team! :duck:

Saorsa
Why spend £200k on a target striker like Collins then fail to provide him with any service from the wide areas?I see they are still persisting with that. Petrie said that wisnae true, that i can believe from him.

NAE NOOKIE
Hmmmm..........guy posted on "Hibs Rumours" site a couple of weeks ago that Fenlon was for the chop and would be replaced with Peter Grant with Boozy as his No2. Would appear from above this may happen.

Brilliant with Led Zepplin.

Took nae prisoners and took them from mid chart mediocrity to playing in front of huge crowds. They even had their own Jet just like Real Madrid.

:greengrin

Dashing Bob S
02-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Michael Stewart is an excellent chap and talks more sense than most Scottish football pundits.

Bostonhibby
02-11-2013, 05:25 PM

Peter Grant, Rod should go for Russell Grant, at least he will hopefully be able to see the inevitable coming 12 months down the line, and 3 months after the rest of us, not Peter Please, no.

As for Mikey, he is a survivor,at the end of a shortish and unspectacular football career, playing to the audience at the moment. Could do well in the popular media for quite a while. Really looking forward to his piece on why the yam are in trouble and how to fix it.

hibeeleicester
02-11-2013, 05:32 PM
I see they are still persisting with that. Petrie said that wisnae true, that i can believe from him.

The deal is worth 200k :agree:

Saorsa
02-11-2013, 05:43 PM
The deal is worth 200k :agree:So is Petrie is telling porkies about that?

hibeeleicester
02-11-2013, 05:44 PM
So is Petrie is telling porkies about that?

Maybe he meant he didn't pay 200k out right.

the deal is worth 200k, 100% Jamie :na na:

Saorsa
02-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Maybe he meant he didn't pay 200k out right.

the deal is worth 200k, 100% Jamie :na na:I'm not saying otherwise Lewis :wink: just going on what others said Petrie apparently said. 200k is 200k so somebody isnae being upfront if it is true.

HibbySpurs
02-11-2013, 06:03 PM
I heard what Stewart was saying and much like the op thought most of what he said was pretty near the mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonnyboy
02-11-2013, 06:06 PM

All of that is opinion, other than the bit I've highlighted. £200k figure is made up, just like the £150k for Leigh figure

Mikey makes some valid observations though :agree:

Bostonhibby
02-11-2013, 06:06 PM
I'm not saying otherwise Lewis :wink: just going on what others said Petrie apparently said. 200k is 200k so somebody isnae being upfront if it is true.

Rod's an accountant and we excel at filing certified accounts, the truth will out, you just need to be able to read them! My money is on deferred payments that take so long to mature that you will never really know, or you will die before Rod has to explain :greengrin

hibeeleicester
02-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Rod's an accountant and we excel at filing certified accounts, the truth will out, you just need to be able to read them! My money is on deferred payments that take so long to mature that you will never really know, or you will die before Rod has to explain :greengrin

Exactly how i read it, we probably paid 50k and 150k if Collins wins the World Cup golden boot.

Scottie
02-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Couldn't disagree with anything he's said
Thats all you want a pundit to do. TELL it LIKE it is.

Saorsa
02-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Rod's an accountant and we excel at filing certified accounts, the truth will out, you just need to be able to read them! My money is on deferred payments that take so long to mature that you will never really know, or you will die before Rod has to explain :greengrinProbably be right about me being deid before anybody gets a straight answer out of him. instead of a load of flannel

Bostonhibby
02-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Probably be right about me being deid before anybody gets a straight answer out of him. instead of a load of flannel

:greengrin A thread I was hoping to have a sustained go at the credibility of Mikey the Pikey on takes 20 odd posts to develop into another attack on Rod - might be my fault though:greengrin and dead sorry DD but I am in the camp that says we still need him, but strictly on the off field side. :tin hat:

Saorsa
02-11-2013, 06:17 PM
:greengrin A thread I was hoping to have a sustained go at the credibility of Mikey the Pikey on takes 20 odd posts to develop into another attack on Rod - might be my fault though:greengrin and dead sorry DD but I am in the camp that says we still need him, but strictly on the off field side. :tin hat:You're entitled tae an opinion mate like everybody else :aok: There's a few folk on here though that seem tae think otherwise though.

Bostonhibby
02-11-2013, 06:22 PM
You're entitled tae you opinion mate like everybody else :aok: There's a few folk on here though that seem tae think otherwise though.

Sort the finances out with a good FD and let a decent football manager loose and you are laughing................ been greetin for most of the last 5 years but its better than being the other way round, so I am told.:greengrin

Jones28
02-11-2013, 06:38 PM
He's a breath of fresh air IMO

theonlywayisup
02-11-2013, 06:56 PM

:agree: talks a lot of sense to me.

bighairyfaeleith
02-11-2013, 06:58 PM
He is a smelly ginger **** , never trust a smelly ginger ****, lived my life obeying that simple rule.

Stewart, he couldn't even kick a plastic bottle, never mind be part of the hibs managerial team.

*aye ok :)

Alfred E Newman
02-11-2013, 07:00 PM
The deal is worth 200k :agree:

Doesn't look worth it at the moment.

Jonnyboy
02-11-2013, 07:01 PM

He certainly experienced fresh air when he tried to tackle Spoony :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBQvgKZL5QQ

Kaiser1962
02-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Michael Stewart is an excellent chap and talks more sense than most Scottish football pundits.

Is that you John? :devil:

The Voice Of Reason
02-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Doesn't look worth it at the moment.

Understatement of the year award sir !!!!!

PatHead
02-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Only heard the first 5 minutes or so. Thought it was ridiculous the way that both he and the other guest (Thingy Jackson from the Daily Record?) were insisting PF was sacked and didn't believe a word of the press conference. I believe some of these guys would not recognise doing the honourable thing if it hit them in the face. Wish Pat's lawyer would sue them.

Jones28
02-11-2013, 07:44 PM
He certainly experienced fresh air when he tried to tackle Spoony :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBQvgKZL5QQ

Never, ever gets old :greengrin:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
02-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Weyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

JMac
02-11-2013, 09:29 PM
He does speak sense most of the time. He's just the most unlikeable person in football

Hiber-nation
02-11-2013, 09:29 PM
He's done some right daft things on the pitch but as a pundit he's absolutely spot on again.

bigwheel
02-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Only heard the first 5 minutes or so. Thought it was ridiculous the way that both he and the other guest (Thingy Jackson from the Daily Record?) were insisting PF was sacked and didn't believe a word of the press conference. I believe some of these guys would not recognise doing the honourable thing if it hit them in the face. Wish Pat's lawyer would sue them.

Agree with this....in a world of poor journos, Jackson has got to be one of the poorest, much worse than Stewart....no wonder his career has gone nowhere....I simply think the can't get their head around the fact that Fenlon walked, as they are not used to dealing with people that can think for themselves. Fenlon didn't buddy to the media - they always resented that.

3pm
02-11-2013, 09:37 PM
I don't know why folk get so upset by him.

bigwheel
02-11-2013, 09:40 PM
I don't mind Stewart ...he is not outstanding or anything. But at least he has an opinion and is prepared to justify it....

Golden Bear
02-11-2013, 09:43 PM
I don't mind Stewart ...he is not outstanding or anything. But at least he has an opinion and is prepared to justify it....

I know exactly why but it's nothing to do with his present career as a pundit.

Twa Cairpets
02-11-2013, 09:54 PM
I don't know why folk get so upset by him.

His face. I just get upset by his face. It's unacceptable.

Shrekko
02-11-2013, 09:58 PM
I know exactly why but it's nothing to do with his present career as a pundit.

If you think it's because he's a Jambo that some folk aren't enamoured with him as a pundit then that's not the case for me.

I quite liked him as a player, but I don't find him particularly enlightening as a pundit, and he has become vastly over-rated because he sounds fairly middle class. That's is what separates him from a lot of other Scottish pundits but it doesn't not make him 'intellectual' or 'articulate' or the Scottish Gary Neville.

He is a bit above average, just like he was as a player. He has a bit of local knowledge when it comes to Hibs but again, it's not exactly one revelation after another. He isn't afraid to give an opinion, again just as he wasn't when he was a player! Is that really a big deal? If he's such a smart Alec, it didn't help him much as a player.

I pee myself laughing when I see that black and white photo of his face at the top of his Scottish Sun column.

DH1875
03-11-2013, 12:59 AM
OK, totally of topic but if we didn't pay £200k for Collins, how much did we pay :confused:.

J-C
03-11-2013, 06:57 AM

Getting rave reviews re his coaching at Stirling Uni, taken them from bottom to the top of their league, he loves the club and is well settled in Edinburgh having married a local lass.

J-C
03-11-2013, 07:02 AM
OK, totally of topic but if we didn't pay £200k for Collins, how much did we pay :confused:.

Yes but why pay that kind of money then don't give him the service needed, we didn't need Vine, OTJ or even Heffernan, we needed 2 wide men to provide the service. Harris and Cairney were injured early door, Zoubir brought in but for some reason was played through the middle. Fenlon then plays our best attacking mid(Craig) as a wide man and our best box to box player(Robertson) as a RM. Enough said. :confused:

007 Mickey Weir
03-11-2013, 07:55 AM

I spoke to Kano on Wed night and had been told Hibs are paying £30k a year over 3 years. So £90k total. Makes more sense.

hibs4thecup1988
03-11-2013, 08:05 AM
I spoke with petrie in the club shop before st mirren victory. Asked my laddie who he thought. Would score my laddie said Collins and petrie said "best 200k I've spent then if he does"

offshorehibby
03-11-2013, 08:26 AM
My preference is Butcher but i know as much about choosing a new manager as Rod. Something Michael Stewart said on the radio last night was whatever the new set up is Guillaume Beuzelin should be part of it.

I keep hearing great thing about Beuzelin's coaching, could Butcher find room in the first team coaching squad for him.

Peter Grant and Beuzelin have been mentioned as a pairing.

KeithTheHibby
03-11-2013, 08:43 AM
To be fair to MS earlier in the season he stuck by his theory that Fenlon wasn't the man to take Hibs forward which is kinda how it has panned out with PF quitting.
I don't mind the guy, way more articulate than the likes of Preston, Dodds or Robertson.

TRC
03-11-2013, 08:55 AM
The word middle class or any class for that matter should have no place in the game of football, or any other walks of life but that's a different thread in a different forum. Mikey Stewart regardless of class is a decent pundit when put next to the rest of the bbc team of 'experts'. However I don't believe he is an amazing insightful pundit, he just says it as he sees it. this is so much better than sycophantic waffle we hear from most of the other muppets we have to endure.

Feed McGraw
03-11-2013, 08:57 AM
To be fair to MS earlier in the season he stuck by his theory that Fenlon wasn't the man to take Hibs forward which is kinda how it has panned out with PF quitting.
I don't mind the guy, way more articulate than the likes of Preston, Dodds or Robertson.Don't mind him either, but he didn't need to be an Oxford scholar to have THAT theory !