PDA

View Full Version : Clean slate

Billychaotic182
02-11-2013, 12:28 PM
With Fenlon gone now I feel that whoever comes in will judge who he wants and who he does not. Us as fans now though must give everyone a clean slate and not abuse them the way we have over the last 48 hours. A fresh start would do everyone the world of good

merritthibees
02-11-2013, 12:37 PM
With Fenlon gone now I feel that whoever comes in will judge who he wants and who he does not. Us as fans now though must give everyone a clean slate and not abuse them the way we have over the last 48 hours. A fresh start would do everyone the world of good

Agreed! The twitter abuse was ridiculous!

Sir David Gray
02-11-2013, 12:44 PM

So another period of transition then...superb!!

At most clubs, a transition period normally lasts a month or two. Ours has been ongoing for about 6 years!

PatHead
02-11-2013, 01:29 PM
:top marks

wee Stevie
02-11-2013, 01:46 PM
With Fenlon gone now I feel that whoever comes in will judge who he wants and who he does not. Us as fans now though must give everyone a clean slate and not abuse them the way we have over the last 48 hours. A fresh start would do everyone the world of good.

I agree with this it may give the players a bit of breathing space just to play football and you never know what will happen me may even score a goal or two :)

Dashing Bob S
02-11-2013, 02:00 PM

Everybody WILL start with a clean slate for about twenty minutes.

Then they'll become "that heidbanger Sheils, that Hun Barsteward Butcher, the traitor Murray..."etc etc.

hibsbollah
02-11-2013, 02:02 PM
So another period of transition then...superb!!

At most clubs, a transition period normally lasts a month or two. Ours has been ongoing for about 6 years!

Thats one way of looking at it. However, theres no reason why it cant be an exciting fresh new start for everyone.

First of all, a number of the players were raging after Wednesday. Robertson, Craig, Lewis and probably others. They can and should channel that and use it going forward. Second, we as fans demanded Fenlon got the boot or we (some of us) wouldnt be back. Pat did the honourable thing and now we have NO excuse, if we love the club, not to back the new regime on the park. Even if you hate Rod, the club is bigger than one man. Finally, the new manager inherits a squad above most of the SPL, with excellent facilities and untapped potential. Its a great job.

Ive got plans on Sunday, otherwise id be going to Motherwell tomorrow. But I cant wait for next week and im genuinely looking forward to seeing what we can do with the rest of the season.

snooky
02-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Everybody WILL start with a clean slate for about twenty minutes.

Then they'll become "that heidbanger Sheils, that Hun Barsteward Butcher, the traitor Murray..."etc etc.

.... and you point is, Bob?

:wink: It's aye been :greengrin

SwanseaHibs
02-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Thats one way of looking at it. However, theres no reason why it cant be an exciting fresh new start for everyone.

First of all, a number of the players were raging after Wednesday. Robertson, Craig, Lewis and probably others. They can and should channel that and use it going forward. Second, we as fans demanded Fenlon got the boot or we (some of us) wouldnt be back. Pat did the honourable thing and now we have NO excuse, if we love the club, not to back the new regime on the park. Even if you hate Rod, the club is bigger than one man. Finally, the new manager inherits a squad above most of the SPL, with excellent facilities and untapped potential. Its a great job.

Ive got plans on Sunday, otherwise id be going to Motherwell tomorrow. But I cant wait for next week and im genuinely looking forward to seeing what we can do with the rest of the season.

Exactly. The depth of squad that we have can achieve relative success this season if harnessed in the right way by the new manager. I think Fenlon gave it his best shot but it was rotten to watch and didn't utilise the abilities of the squad. No reason for the Fenlon haters to stay away now.

Onceinawhile
02-11-2013, 08:09 PM
I don't have to give tudor jones a clean sheet do I? It's taken me a while to realise I think he's mince? And I don't want to potentially go through another 10-15 games without a whipping boy!

marinello59
02-11-2013, 08:11 PM
I don't have to give tudor jones a clean sheet do I? It's taken me a while to realise I think he's mince? And I don't want to potentially go through another 10-15 games without a whipping boy!

I would like to think that any new manager worthy of the post would make bringing in his own whipping boys a priority. :agree:

Swedish hibee
02-11-2013, 09:10 PM
You are joking :confused: There's people on other threads still blaming Fenlon for anything & everything. And will still do no matter who comes in. The abuse & comments I have read these past few days on Pat & our players have totally embarrassed me.

The thought is a 'nice one' but I don't believe it will happen. Would love to be proved wrong though..

sahib
03-11-2013, 12:48 AM
You are joking :confused: There's people on other threads still blaming Fenlon for anything & everything. And will still do no matter who comes in. The abuse & comments I have read these past few days on Pat & our players have totally embarrassed me.

The thought is a 'nice one' but I don't believe it will happen. Would love to be proved wrong though..

9 managers in 11 years. I blame the platform given to every tosser with a gripe by the internet in all its manifold forms and the feeble minded who accept what the cyber twit has to say.

Pete
03-11-2013, 04:29 AM

:agree:
I don't think there needs to be a clean slate when it comes to the squad. One or two additions and departures should be all it takes for any manager to tailor a squad to have them challenging.

What we need to do as a fan base is give any appointed managed a clean slate by binning any prejudices formed by actions during previous employments. Butcher or Shiels have "baggage" in the eyes of some but we have to forget that and give them the chances that an unknown or well loved face would be afforded. An element of time is always necessary for a manager to bed himself in, regardless of the situation he has inherited and we all must be united in willing him to succeed.

It might not be plain sailing but I believe the board have learned enough to give the manager a fair crack and it will only work if we be patient and supportive during the rough times. I'm not saying we haven't been in the past but there are no bad memories or millstones with this new slate and it genuinely will be a new era, even if most of the playing staff remain.

There are plenty reasons to be positive and excited. It's a new start and thanks to Pat, a lot of the dirty work has been done....and a lot of ghosts leave with him.

Hibrandenburg
03-11-2013, 07:40 AM

Careful now, you're blaming the fans for Hibs demise in that statement. The mob will be firing up their torches and sharpening their pitchforks as we speak.

:wink:

spike220
03-11-2013, 08:25 AM

Ive got plans on Sunday, otherwise id be going to Motherwell tomorrow. But I cant wait for next week and im genuinely looking forward to seeing what we can do with the rest of the season. I think Rod would be happier if you mentioned East Mains rather than just alluded to it!

hibsbollah
03-11-2013, 08:53 AM
I think Rod would be happier if you mentioned East Mains rather than just alluded to it!

Rod's happiness is always top of my list of priorities when posting on hibs.net :greengrin

Eyrie
03-11-2013, 09:43 AM
:agree:
What we need to do as a fan base is give any appointed managed a clean slate by binning any prejudices formed by actions during previous employments. Butcher or Shiels have "baggage" in the eyes of some but we have to forget that and give them the chances that an unknown or well loved face would be afforded. An element of time is always necessary for a manager to bed himself in, regardless of the situation he has inherited and we all must be united in willing him to succeed.

That depends on the baggage involved. The likes of Butcher or Shiels may be viewed with suspicion by a small section of the support based on their previous associations or comments, but most of us will give them a fair chance to prove themselves. Any appointment will have a few people who don't rate the new guy for whatever reason anyway, so a small amount of baggage is neither here nor there.

The problem arises with a Hartley or Levein figure, where the baggage is too great and will be used against them as soon as results or performances aren't perfect. That makes it much harder for them to do well here and much more likely that they won't be given the time the new manager should get because we need a period of stability after changing managers too frequently over the last decade.

Chuck Rhoades
03-11-2013, 09:46 AM

It's not a clean slate until RP has gone. We've got to keep and increase the pressure on him.

hibsbollah
03-11-2013, 04:22 PM
It's not a clean slate until RP has gone. We've got to keep and increase the pressure on him.

I suggest you do this secretly then, maybe send him abusive emails or subject him to an 'unpleasant parcel' campaign. In terms of on the pitch, it should be a clean slate where everyone gets behind the manager and the players, regardless of whats gone before (even if they have an unwise beard or gave the fans a bit of lip and a finger gesture on Saturday).

Hibercelona
03-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Does anybody honestly believe that they'll be a fresh new start, while things stay the same at board level?

With the same board, doing the same things over and over again. There can't be a fresh start.

We've only decieving ourselves yet again.

One Day Soon
03-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Does anybody honestly believe that they'll be a fresh new start, while things stay the same at board level?

With the same board, doing the same things over and over again. There can't be a fresh start.

According to my screen you're managing to post from about one hour in the future. Any chance you can share some of the final scores from games currently in-play?

Sir David Gray
03-11-2013, 04:48 PM

No.

As I have said already on this thread, we'll bring in a new man who we'll be asked to give time to in order to get his team on the pitch and stamp his authority on the club etc. Things will look promising for a short time and then it will be back to normal again. We'll be asked to have some patience for a few months before it becomes apparent that we're going nowhere again and then there will be calls for the manager to go. Eventually, after a few protests and a few Hibs.net polls, the manager will go and we'll back to where we are now.

Trust me, I've seen it all before (several times). I'll give it until about September/October 2015.

Pat Fenlon wasn't/isn't the biggest problem at Easter Road.

One Day Soon
03-11-2013, 04:54 PM
No.

As I have said already on this thread, we'll bring in a new man who we'll be asked to give time to in order to get his team on the pitch and stamp his authority on the club etc. Things will look promising for a short time and then it will be back to normal again. We'll be asked to have some patience for a few months before it becomes apparent that we're going nowhere again and then there will be calls for the manager to go. Eventually, after a few protests and a few Hibs.net polls, the manager will go and we'll back to where we are now.

Trust me, I've seen it all before (several times). I'll give it until about September/October 2015.

Pat Fenlon wasn't/isn't the biggest problem at Easter Road.

So what is?

Sir David Gray
03-11-2013, 05:02 PM
So what is?

In my opinion, the senior management of the club is the biggest problem. As I have expressed on several threads on here since Fenlon left on Friday, I don't think that anything serious will change under the present regime.

I could be completely wrong about that and the new manager comes in and we enjoy a sustained period of improvement coupled with relative success over several years.

I highly doubt it though.

One Day Soon
03-11-2013, 05:08 PM
In my opinion, the senior management of the club is the biggest problem. As I have expressed on several threads on here since Fenlon left on Friday, I don't think that anything serious will change under the present regime.

I could be completely wrong about that and the new manager comes in and we enjoy a sustained period of improvement coupled with relative success over several years.

I highly doubt it though.

That's who is the biggest problem, not what. Why do you think the senior management is the problem? What is it you think they are doing wrong or not doing right?

Sir David Gray
03-11-2013, 05:43 PM
That's who is the biggest problem, not what. Why do you think the senior management is the problem? What is it you think they are doing wrong or not doing right?

Their inability to recruit a suitable manager after so many attempts is the biggest one.

I also don't think their football related targets are demanding or aspiring enough. Only this afternoon, coming away from Fir Park, I heard Petrie's interview on the radio talking about us being "in the upper echelons" of the league table.

In my opinion, that's far too vague and leaves too much uncertainty. As far as I'm concerned the target for the league, whilst we have no Rangers in the Premiership, should be 2nd place.

We should be aiming as high as we can reasonably expect. No-one is going to say that we should be winning the league, unless Celtic leave the country or we have some serious investment from somewhere but 2nd place should not be outwith the realms of possibilities for a club the size of Hibs.

I want to hear this from the very top of the club and it doesn't happen. In fact we rarely get anything at all from the very top of the club, which is another thing that troubles me.

All we normally get is a wall of silence from the hierarchy, apart from the odd soundbite and what I would say is nothing more than lip service.

I think we need much more leadership and whilst it has improved recently, I think we need a better relationship to be formed between board and fans.

One Day Soon
03-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Their inability to recruit a suitable manager after so many attempts is the biggest one.

I also don't think their football related targets are demanding or aspiring enough. Only this afternoon, coming away from Fir Park, I heard Petrie's interview on the radio talking about us being "in the upper echelons" of the league table.

In my opinion, that's far too vague and leaves too much uncertainty. As far as I'm concerned the target for the league, whilst we have no Rangers in the Premiership, should be 2nd place.

We should be aiming as high as we can reasonably expect. No-one is going to say that we should be winning the league, unless Celtic leave the country or we have some serious investment from somewhere but 2nd place should not be outwith the realms of possibilities for a club the size of Hibs.

I want to hear this from the very top of the club and it doesn't happen. In fact we rarely get anything at all from the very top of the club, which is another thing that troubles me.

All we normally get is a wall of silence from the hierarchy, apart from the odd soundbite and what I would say is nothing more than lip service.

I think we need much more leadership and whilst it has improved recently, I think we need a better relationship to be formed between board and fans.

Fair enough. Sounds to me like we need the Director of Football that was being mooted on BT Sport today.

Andy74
03-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Rod's happiness is always top of my list of priorities when posting on hibs.net :greengrin

I hear ya.